+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1204
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: What happens with Burnett?

Honestly, I am surprised by the deal. I assumed that the Yankees would have to eat close to all but $8M of the remaining contract to get any deal done.

That Cashman got the Pirates to take $13M and give us two prospects - even though they are mid-level prospects - is, IMO, a great deal for the Yankees.

Clears payroll and, more importantly, gets Burnett off the roster.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Triple Crown

In Cash I Trust.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

Quote Originally Posted by machphantom View Post
    From now on, whenever I hear there is a mystery team involved in trying to obtain a pitcher, i'm just going to assume its the Phillies.
    Man, Oswalt must really be damaged goods. Why would they not go for a 1 year, incentive laden deal for a guy that has pitched pretty well for them for two years versus trading something (of even minor worth) to take on 2 years of Burnett? I call BS on that... unless this just substantiates the concerns I've expressed regarding Oswalt when he was being drooled over by some here.

Quote Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
    I dont hold ill will towards Burnett. Dude tried and without his monster performance in game two of the WS I don't know if we take that title.
    Let's be clear though. There's a difference between holding ill will towards a guy and wanting him to take the first bus out of town. I don't wish cancer on the guy or anything, but I resent his on-the-field antics the last 18 months or so and I'm frickin' thrilled he's outta here and taking bushels of his luxury tax impact with him.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryankees View Post
    Why are so many people acting like AJ Burnett was this great pitcher before New York? I'm getting tired of people (such as Mitch Williams on MLB TV) blaming NY for Burnetts struggles.

If you look inside the numbers.. The Yankees should have known better when they signed him.

He was 87- 76 at the time of signing coming off a career year in which he won 18 games..
    49-50 with the Marlins
    38-26 with Toronto..

basically a .500 pitcher..

nothing has changed.. he's still an inconsistant .500 pitcher.
    Anyone who blames NY for his problems clearly has not payed attention. This has never been a winning pitcher.
    Let's not get all WIN METHOD here. He was effective in Toronto and at times in Toronto. He sucked in New York. There are measures (like some of the ones in Battingly's post immediately following yours) that are really more informational than the ".500 pitcher" thing.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I'm thinking it's freeing up more Cole Hamels money for next year.
    I highly doubt the Yankees will be chasing Hamels or any other big $$$ pitcher next year. With 2014 and its $189 M payroll target hovering, I don't think they are anxious to add anybody at $15-$20M + per year. My sense is they feel they have their core rotation in place with maybe one of the B's replacing Kuroda in 2013/2014. Hamels or others will factor in only if there is a monumental crash among the current 5 of CC/ Pineda/ Hughes/ Nova/ Kuroda (or replacement B)
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth

At least he wasn't like Andy Pettitte (who bailed on the Yankees twice).

Thanks for your efforts AJ.
    Pardon, for us.

Richmond Virginians

A Pittsburgh assessment of the two players we aquired.

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articl...t_deal/9976594

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I highly doubt the Yankees will be chasing Hamels or any other big $$$ pitcher next year. With 2014 and its $189 M payroll target hovering, I don't think they are anxious to add anybody at $15-$20M + per year. My sense is they feel they have their core rotation in place with maybe one of the B's replacing Kuroda in 2013/2014. Hamels or others will factor in only if there is a monumental crash among the current 5 of CC/ Pineda/ Hughes/ Nova/ Kuroda (or replacement B)
    I think alot of it depends on how the B's fare in AAA this year. They need to show alot and make tremendous improvements especially in the area of control. If one (or both) take a few steps forward this year and flash front end of the rotation stuff....then I can see the team going with one of them in the rotation next year. If they still show the same issues this year as they did last year....neither will be ready and then they might have to make a play for Hamels.

I hated the AJ signing from day one.

This trade going through makes me very happy. It is hard for me to dislike a Yankee, but he really rubbed me the wrong way.

Good job, Cash. But don't take too many bows, you created the problem in the first place.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I think alot of it depends on how the B's fare in AAA this year. They need to show alot and make tremendous improvements especially in the area of control. If one (or both) take a few steps forward this year and flash front end of the rotation stuff....then I can see the team going with one of them in the rotation next year. If they still show the same issues this year as they did last year....neither will be ready and then they might have to make a play for Hamels.
    Well yes, that could very well be the case. However, rather that making a big splash with Hamels or Cain or whoever, they could as well bide their time and re-sign Kuroda for an additional year if the B's need further grooming. Honestly, unless they feel it absolutely necessary, I don't see the Yankees being big players in the FA pitching market over the next few years.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    At least he wasn't like Andy Pettitte (who bailed on the Yankees twice).

Thanks for your efforts AJ.
    How did Andy bail both times? The Yankees didn't give him a fair deal the first time around. It was a slap in the face in my opinion. Second time he did not want to pitch anymore. He wanted to retire. I don't see that as bailing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    How did Andy bail both times? The Yankees didn't give him a fair deal the first time around. It was a slap in the face in my opinion. Second time he did not want to pitch anymore. He wanted to retire. I don't see that as bailing at all.
    I actually thought that was sarcasm?????
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

What people forget is the Yankees had serious injury concerns, and he did miss a good chunk of time on the DL , missing the Astros playoff run, and had to turn to some "Clemens Candy" to recover

A Burnett-related moment that will always make me smile:

I attended that Spring Training workout last year when Boone Logan airmailed a throw and hit a girl sitting in the stands (about 5 feet from me and my son). After everything calmed down and the pitchers resumed throwing, AJ says to the crowd while waving the ball, "Now everyone pay attention...we don't always know where these things go." and someone in the crowd yells, "You would know, AJ!" lol cracked me up

What on earth are you talking about? They didn't give him a fair deal? Please.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

Well yes, that could very well be the case. However, rather that making a big splash with Hamels or Cain or whoever, they could as well bide their time and re-sign Kuroda for an additional year if the B's need further grooming. Honestly, unless they feel it absolutely necessary, I don't see the Yankees being big players in the FA pitching market over the next few years.
    I don't see how going after Hamles would be a bad move, especially if Pineda has a poor or mediocre year. If he doesn't, you're still trying to establish a knockout top 3. Letting the cream rise to the top among a group of Nova/Hughes/Banuelos/Betances/Phelps/Warren for the last 2 spots (plus the inevitable 6th starter) is a nice situation to be in.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Okay this could work, one question though what if Kuroda flat out sucks at being a starter? I mean there is always a possibility that he will pitch not good enough to get a second year in the first place. I am a little bit scared of Kuroda and Hughes to a bigger extent Kuroda not really pitching as well as he did with the Dodgers. If we have 2 pitchers in our five man pitching badly what then? Do we sign a big free agent or do we hope that Hughes pitches well enough that we could trade him for a piece we might need?
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Well, you can't say the Yanks don't have any cayones.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Well, you can't say the Yanks don't have any cayones.
    I'm trying to decide when I'll get sick of that.

Hint: never.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I hated the AJ signing from day one.

This trade going through makes me very happy. It is hard for me to dislike a Yankee, but he really rubbed me the wrong way.

Good job, Cash. But don't take too many bows, you created the problem in the first place.
    The problem was created when Burnett ate our lunch every time he faced us when with the Blue Jays. He made the guys on the club beg Cash to get him when he hit the market. From that perspective he wasn't the first guy to be up and down and then get it together later in his career, and he did it in the AL East. Was he paid too much? Everybody gets paid to much, that's the Yankees' way. Was Game 2 of the 2009 WS worth it? Yup.

Fellow old timers on this thread will remember Rich McKinney, who destroyed the Yanks in the early 70's while with the White Sox. We had to have him. Gave up Stan Bahnsen for him. Bahnsen wins 20 with the Sox, McKinney turns out to be a pot smoking nut case who hits .111 and can't field a grounder at 3rd. Sometimes a scout can only see so much.
    Mays played baseball. Mantle was baseball.

What on earth are you talking about? They didn't give him a fair deal? Please.
    Pettitte leaving is one of those subjects that Yankee fans are willingly ignorant about.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    Pettitte leaving is one of those subjects that Yankee fans are willingly ignorant about.
    Exactly. Heads firmly implanted in the sand. Not sure how some of them can breathe.
    Pardon, for us.

Exactly. Heads firmly implanted in the sand. Not sure how some of them can breathe.
    Damn, that's what your problem is.

I see he was invited to Spring Training as a "special instructor". (I believe in Yankees-speak that means you get a paid vacation to FLA and get to hang around with a few of your old teammates).

He'll probably leave them high and dry again. The Yankees never learn.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information