+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1204

Re: What happens with Burnett?

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Thanks man. Took forever for him to get back to me. Got his answers to me at the last minute.
    Hey nicely done!

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I'm looking forward to the Cayones Performance Thread
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

thanks broski. Only thing that sucks is that there's tons of comments on it but it's mostly people bickering back & forth about everything except the article lol
    Such is the joy of writing articles on the interwebs.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Triple Crown

I'm glad he's gone, but I don't have the same vitriol for AJ as I did for Pavano. At least Burnett tried.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

NYYF Cy Young

Agree, I feel he tried and kept taking the ball when it was his turn to pitch. He also seemed like a good guy. I wish him the best in Pittsburgh!

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Ha, I saw. 248 comments. Hopefully they all read the article.
    Doubtful lol....I didn't read all of them...I skipped to the very beginning of the comment section. Some were positive, others didn't seem to read the article in its entirety & assumed I was writing about one thing when it was actually the opposite lol

Hopefully with talking to Barreda, that'll lead to Q&As with other guys too.

Thanks man. Took forever for him to get back to me. Got his answers to me at the last minute.
    Great read! Congrats.

And yeah, you're right about the comment section at LoHud; those assclowns rarely stick to the topic or go off on ridiculous tangents.

Manny Banhuevos, meet Exicardo Cajones

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Great read! Congrats.

And yeah, you're right about the comment section at LoHud; those assclowns rarely stick to the topic or go off on ridiculous tangents.
    I haven't read the comments there in a while... Is RB still a regular?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    I'm glad he's gone, but I don't have the same vitriol for AJ as I did for Pavano. At least Burnett tried.
    I feel the same way. I hope he does decently in Pittsburgh
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Can we get a new thread for this deal, seeing as 40 pages of this thread are now irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I haven't read the comments there in a while... Is RB still a regular?
    You know, I don't frequent LoHud that often since Pete Abe left, because even though I didn't like him as a person, he provided some breaking news (which they never do now), was far more interesting and more on top of things than the current crew, IMO. Not a big fan of the newer guys, particularly Jennings.

But, it's funny that you mention her (RB). The last few times I read the comment section I did a search on her name (out of curiosity) and came up empty. Maybe she didn't comment on those specific threads, but I remember her commenting on just about everything. Hope she's OK.

NYYF Legend

You know, I don't frequent LoHud that often since Pete Abe left, because even though I didn't like him as a person, he was far more interesting and on top of things than the current crew, at least IMO. Not a big fan of the newer guys, particularly Jennings.

But, it's funny that you mention her (RB). The last few times I read the comment section I did a search on her name (out of curiosity) and came up empty. Maybe she didn't comment on those specific threads, but I remember her commenting on just about everything. Hope she's OK.
    I think she posts as "betsie" (likely her real name) over there.

I think she posts as "betsie" (likely her real name) over there.

Yeah, I know. I think it's "Betsy"

NYYF Legend

Yeah, I know. I think it's "Betsy"
    Ah, ok.

Ah, ok.
    Chances are she's probably reading our exchange as we write it.

NYYF Legend

Hi Betsy!

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    totally agree. and let's face it, AJ also pitched some big games for us: ALDS game 2 in 09, the Balls of Steel WS game 2 in 09 down 0-1 at home, the red sox road game this past august that turned the seasons for both teams, and game 4 ALDS last yr. he was a head case, his impolosions vs terrible teams were a total mind-fuque, the need to be deeply medicated for his starts was unparalleled, and his fits of pique on the mound were annoying .... but he never tanked it and also got his ass out there every 5th day for three yrs. i hope he does well in the NL.

NYYF Legend

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN The other team involved in the A.J. Burnett talks was the Philadelphia Phillies. Obviously would've had to clear Blanton to make it work.

NYYF Legend

I would like to thank AJ Burnett for Games 2 of the ALDS, ALCS and WS in 2009. Not sure those 3 games were worth the $69.5M the Yanks will eventually pay him over the 5 year deal he signed in that crazy CC/AJ/Tex offseason, but as the say ---

Banners Fly Forever!
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN The other team involved in the A.J. Burnett talks was the Philadelphia Phillies. Obviously would've had to clear Blanton to make it work.
    From now on, whenever I hear there is a mystery team involved in trying to obtain a pitcher, i'm just going to assume its the Phillies.

I'd Rather Play Calvinball NyQuil's Avatar

I dont hold ill will towards Burnett. Dude tried and without his monster performance in game two of the WS I don't know if we take that title.
    I'm in your thread, stealing RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees' identity.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Agree, I feel he tried and kept taking the ball when it was his turn to pitch. He also seemed like a good guy. I wish him the best in Pittsburgh!
    I agree, I believe he actually wanted the ball. The frustration for me comes from the fact that he didn't pitch up to his potential, let alone his contract.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Why are so many people acting like AJ Burnett was this great pitcher before New York? I'm getting tired of people (such as Mitch Williams on MLB TV) blaming NY for Burnetts struggles.

If you look inside the numbers.. The Yankees should have known better when they signed him.

He was 87- 76 at the time of signing coming off a career year in which he won 18 games..
    49-50 with the Marlins
    38-26 with Toronto..

basically a .500 pitcher..

nothing has changed.. he's still an inconsistant .500 pitcher.
    Anyone who blames NY for his problems clearly has not payed attention. This has never been a winning pitcher.

-

How terrible was A.J. Burnett?

By Andrew Marchand

These stats, courtesy of ace researcher Katie Sharp, pretty much tell the story.

A.J. Burnett leaves New York as one of the worst pitchers ever to wear pinstripes. He is the only Yankee pitcher to qualify for the ERA title and post an ERA above 5.00 in two separate seasons, which he did in 2010 and 2011.

Among Yankee pitchers that threw at least 500 innings for the team, Burnett has the:

* 2nd-highest ERA (4.79)
    * 2nd-highest HR per 9 innings (1.25)
    * 2nd-most wild pitches (58)
    * 5th-worst OPS allowed (.783)
    * 8th-worst WHIP (1.45)

Thread Information