+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: Fantasy Baseball General Discussion 2012

Ya I was thinking Votto as well.

Scoring is 7x7. Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, Avg / Wins, Losses, ERA, Whip, SO, S, Hlds

Just out of curiosity...would you rank Ellsbury or Granderson higher? I think thats a much tougher call.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Giddyup5 View Post

Scoring is 7x7. Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, Avg / Wins, Losses, ERA, Whip, SO, S, Hlds

Just out of curiosity...would you rank Ellsbury or Granderson higher? I think thats a much tougher call.

I'd take McCutchen over both.
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

It's a difficult think to do. Ellsbury's power came out of nowhere and I find it very unlikely for him to repeat. Granderson has a career behind him of doing good things but nothing like he did. Granderson is probably the better bet at coming close to his previous year's stats than Ellsbury as I suspect Ellsbury to come back down to Earth. But you never know he was destined to be the best in RSN, so maybe he really is that good. I think both are good to have on your team but highly overrated fantasy-wise.

Still, you have to take Votto. He's a beast.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

I can keep 5 players. Prince, Longoria and J-Upton are locks. Which 2 of these should I keep?

Weeks
    Victorino
    Strassburg
    Hosmer

I am leaning heavily towards Stras and Hosmer

You guys really need to post whether it's Roto or H2H it makes a huge difference!

Either way in this case I think I'd take my chances with Stras. He could be as dominant as he is expected to be based on the few outings we witnessed. He was absolutely brilliant most of the time under all that pressure.

Weeks is an injury risk. Victorino is very solid and helps you in a lot of ways but you are already keeping some big bats. Hosmer is definitely a great keep as well. I think you're choosing the right two. Do you have a CI spot though? With Prince you have two 1B on your team if you keep Hosmer.

If its Roto I may go with Victorino though.....

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I can keep 5 players. Prince, Longoria and J-Upton are locks. Which 2 of these should I keep?

Weeks
    Victorino
    Strassburg
    Hosmer

Man you gotta keep Strasburg and Hosmer, especially if you get to keep them beyond this year. They will both be great this year, but even better the following. Both have first round ability in years to come.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Ellsbury easy.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Weeks
    Victorino
    Strassburg
    Hosmer

Yeah I would go with Stas and Hosmer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Man you gotta keep Strasburg and Hosmer, especially if you get to keep them beyond this year. They will both be great this year, but even better the following. Both have first round ability in years to come.
    But that gives him two 1B and unless he has a CI spot he's forced at DH with less flexibility.

I disagree about Ellsbury. I think that regression to the mean is inevitable.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    But that gives him two 1B and unless he has a CI spot he's forced at DH with less flexibility.

I disagree about Ellsbury. I think that regression to the mean is inevitable.
    If it is dynasty like though no way he can pass on Hosmer even if it leaves him 2 1Bs. At any rate he can always deal one of Prince/Hosmer later on.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I agree he could be used as trade bait but that doesn't always work out. You never get what you're looking for especially when someone knows you WANT to move him because you have an extra piece.

I'm not saying Hosmer is a bad keep by any means. He's kind of in the position of the Angels by having 3 first basemen now.

I believe OF has become a very underrated commodity lately, since you are forced to play 3. In all honesty if he believes in Ellsbury or Granderson they may be better picks for his team going into the season. I'm a huge fan of Victorino though, he helps in many cats. Depending on the league. I think Granderson and Ellsbury are overrated right now due to career years that are very unlikely to be reproduced. In fact if either are kept, I'd trade them while their value is as high as it is now.

NYYF Legend

Thanks a lot guys. It's a roto league (Steve). This is the last year of keepers btw.

There is a CI position in this league, I will stash Hosmer there.

If it's the last year of keepers I think you should choose the players that will help you NOW. You have to. Going in with 2 1B may be detrimental to your team. Hosmer could very well have a bad follow-up year.

If it were me I'd go with Granderson or Victorino. Or keep Ellsbury and trade him IMMEDIATELY.

There is a CI position in this league, I will stash Hosmer there.
    Okay then, well there goes that idea. I can't argue with keeping them both then. Just keep in mind Hosmer is terrible against LHP.

Also keep in mind, last year of keepers, build a team to win NOW. Use the best resources to do that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    If it's the last year of keepers I think you should choose the players that will help you NOW. You have to. Going in with 2 1B may be detrimental to your team. Hosmer could very well have a bad follow-up year.

If it were me I'd go with Granderson or Victorino. Or keep Ellsbury and trade him IMMEDIATELY.
    Wait, I think you're confusing me with someone else. I don't have Ellsbury or Granderson. My choices were Hosmer, Strasburg, Victorino and Weeks.

I also have a UTL position too.

Wait, I think you're confusing me with someone else. I don't have Ellsbury or Granderson. My choices were Hosmer, Strasburg, Victorino and Weeks.

I also have a UTL position too.
    Oh.... yeah someone else posted in the middle of our conversation. Sorry about that.

I would still consider Shane-o for immediate and consistent results with a history of it. But I don't think Hosmer is a bad keep by any means.

Votto Granderson Ellsbury. since BB's and TB are in the league, votto is a monster in all thos categories except SB. granderson vs ellsbury is more a coin flip with BA involved. i would prefer granderson's power and BB's against ellsbury's average and speed, since granderson will steal you some bases anyway. i dont think ellsbury will come close to repeating this year in terms of power output
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

Weeks
    Victorino
    Strassburg
    Hosmer

echoing the others, you got that right
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    Votto Granderson Ellsbury. since BB's and TB are in the league, votto is a monster in all thos categories except SB. granderson vs ellsbury is more a coin flip with BA involved. i would prefer granderson's power and BB's against ellsbury's average and speed, since granderson will steal you some bases anyway. i dont think ellsbury will come close to repeating this year in terms of power output
    I agree!

NYYF Legend

Originally Posted by Giddyup5 Ya I was thinking Votto as well.

Agree Votto clearly 1 out of those, don't think it is all that debatable really.

BB and not OBP? Odd but whatever
    Ellsbury should be expected to out perform Granderson on SB/AVE
    Granderson should be expected to out perform on HR/RBI/BB (but oddly not OBp)
    R/TB should be a push.

Though the R/RBI thing could be batting order dependent for these 2.

I'd go Ellsbury becuase his SB advantage is in a more scarce cat than HRs and will be by a wider margin. But since I'm baised against Red Sox I'd probably do the stupid thing and take granderson.
    Baseball is life;

I'm in a 14 team keeper league with some guys I know and one of them offered me Carpenter or Kuroda for my 3rd round pick.

6 Keepers....2 hitters, 2 pitchers, 1 h/p, and one 10+ rounder.

Unfortunately I missed the first 30 minutes of the draft (before the 2010 season, so this is 3rd year of the league) and my first pitcher was AJ Burnett. LOL! Thankfully I got CJ Wilson in the last round (steal anyone?) and he has been my ace the last 2 years.

Hitter 1: Dustin Pedroia
    Hitter 2: Ryan Howard
    Pitcher 1: CJ Wilson
    Pitcher 2: Matt Garza
    H/P: Adrian Beltre
    10+: Mike Napoli

My keepers are kinda meager by the standards of some of the other teams in the league. Would I be wise to trade a pick for Carpenter or Kuroda? Kuroda has 10+ eligibility which adds a lot to his value. I am going to keep CJ Wilson regardless, but Garza I'm not so sure. Rate stats are there but terrible run support.

Any advice?
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

Someone just offered me CC for my 1st round pick, 4th overall. I figure my pitching needs help and I might end up taking a pitcher with my first pick anyway, so why not trade the pick for a bona-fide ace who is virtually a lock for a low 3 ERA and close to 20 wins?

I was also offered either 3rd round pick for Carpenter or 5th round pick for Kuroda. I'm intrigued by Kuroda but I'm just not sure how he'll translate to the AL East. His win total SHOULD go up though.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

NYYF Legend

foxy - do all teams keep about 6 players? Or are there some teems w/o keepers who will have less? What players are expected to be available in the open draft?

If you are figuring that 14 teams will each keep about 6 players than roughly the top 75 players will all be unavailable for the draft . (I'm assuming the other keepers are good 10+ vaule and may or may not be top 75).

With that in mind CC might be good value in the 1st depending on who you expect to be in the draft pool.

As for Garza unless he has favorbale keeper status don't keep him. Throw him back and pick instead, depending on how your draft works. That is if you just get an extra pick at the end of the draft keep Garza but if you get an extra "early pick" if you don't keep 2 picthers, throw him back.

Based on your system I'd expect Carpenter to go somewhere in the 3rd round of your draft so you aren't getting great value if you trade for him, just locking him in in exchange for your 3rd rounder.

Kuroda is intriguing but again based on your system and number of teams I'd expect him to go in the 6th round so trading away your 5th to keep him doesn't make sense. If you could negotiate to make that a 7th round pick or later, go for it.

Oh and I like your hitter keepers but you do realize Howard will be out for the first ~3rd of this season and may be this year's Kendry Morales. Love the pedroia, beltre, napoli combo though.

OH and don't trade for Kuroda as a 10+, you can't do much better than Napoli at 10+. A C who DH's, plays 1B and hits 25+ bombs like clockwork. How can you pass that up in 10+?
    Baseball is life;

JJ Putz or Montero as final pick in keeper league? Seems obvious to keep Jesus, but Putz actually has a higher ADP, so presumably I could get Jesus with a later pick. Jesus also doesn't qualify as a catcher yet, which could complicate things.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    JJ Putz or Montero as final pick in keeper league? Seems obvious to keep Jesus, but Putz actually has a higher ADP, so presumably I could get Jesus with a later pick. Jesus also doesn't qualify as a catcher yet, which could complicate things.
    How many teams? How many games does Jesus need to ualify at C in your league? H2H or roto? Are saves scarce in your league?

I'm keeping J. Montero in the 7th round of my 20 teamer H2H and planing on going empty C until he gets his 5 starts when he'll qualify in Yahoo formant which I'm hoping will be some time in mid to late April.

If you are CBS where he needs generally needs 20 games in standard formats, it might be a long time before you can use him as your catcher.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information