+ Reply to Thread

Mickey Mantle August 11 1954

August 11, 1954, 47 Years ago today Mickey has his first two-homer game in a 7-0 win over the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium.

Here is a rare shot of Mickey at 17 years old.
    Attached Images

NYYF Triple Crown

Jimbo

Great photo.....thanks for sharing......how I remember the excitement of the reports from spring training in '51 of this kid who was hitting homers over palm trees and amazing everyone with his speed.

NYYF Legend

The Commerce Comet.

Yes the Mick had a great spring training in 51,the Yankees trained in Arizona that year.The NY Press was raving about this 19 yr old kid, the Next DiMag.It seems when one superstar retires another comes along to take his place.Dan Daniel who covered the Yankee Beat for the World Telegram & Sun,wrote glowing about the Mick`s feats.He hit 402 that spring with 9 homers and 32 rbi`s.He became the first kid to jump from class c ball to the Yankees.In those days there were more baseball classifications and hence more farm teams
    I left for the Air force the last week in april 1951 and avidly followed the Yankees thru Armed Forces Radio and the Stars & Stripes I did get a chance to see some games when i came home on leave in Sept 51 before shipping out to go overseas.
    i always read the Sporting News,it was known as the Baseball bible,in that era it was strictly baseball,not like it is today.Copies were provided to the Military thru the base library.I always had an interest in the Yankee Farm system. Had to see who was next in line.what were the stats,who had the power?Who could pitch I have been doing that as a hobby for over 50 years now.
    In the summer of 54, i had returned from my 26 month tour of duty overseas,i was in the base library reading the Sporting News and a name came to my attention.This kid in the Indian Farm System, a left hitting power guy was hitting lots of homeruns,in some mid west league around Fargo. I said to myself,The Indians their winning all these games and they have more prospects on the farm.Maybe the Yanks could steal this guy some day. He`d be a perfect fit for Yankee stadium.

Little did I know that they would. His name of course ROGER MARIS.

The Mick, a Magnifcent Yankee...

[IMG]C:\Jimbo's NY Yankees Folder\Mickey Mantle signed mural III (awesome).jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Jimbo's NY Yankees Folder\Mickey Mantle signed mural IV (awesome).jpg[/IMG]

Mickey was awesome. My dad has some great stories of watching him play ball. Very cool pic

NYYF Legend

I was told Mick never pumped iron, but got those muscles from working at a steel mill. Anyone know if that is true?

If I'm not mistaken both Mickey and his Dad worked in coal mines...

[IMG]C:\Jimbo's NY Yankees Folder\Mickey Mantle signed mural I.jpg[/IMG]

NYYF Legend

The Coal mines it was.

It was either Base Ball or the Mines. His dad MUTT, went to see his son when he was distraught and talked about qutting in the minors,and said to Mickey.Ok it`s back to the Mines.Needless to say it never happened

I've had some problems posted pics using the IMG button...From home they appear as viewable, today from work they were not viewable. Showing up as squares with an X. Sooo I am going to repost the pics that many may have been unable to see using the BROWSE button.

Mickey Lythograph...
    Attached Images

Her is another great Lythograph of The Mick...
    Attached Images

The last of the three Lythographs I am reposting for viewing...
    Attached Images

Uhhh this is the one I meant to post...enjoy!
    Attached Images

Thread Information