+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Weight Loss Thread

That's the best motivation, other people. If I knew someone was counting on me to walk or go to the gym, I would be much more inclined to go.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    That's the best motivation, other people. If I knew someone was counting on me to walk or go to the gym, I would be much more inclined to go.
    They are truly my saving grace.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    down to 298.4 this morning... i was completely shocked.
    ooh! that's awesome Boz..congrats! how many is that total now?

I've been avoiding this thread until I started on my weight loss path. I was going to wait until my next set of thyroid tests to see if my meds are at the right level but that's not for another week and a half and I didn't want to wait..so, I started today - went cold turkey on my beloved sugar/coca-cola. I'm going to try to avoid focusing on numbers but I would like to lose two dress sizes...my journey begins today.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    ooh! that's awesome Boz..congrats! how many is that total now?

I've been avoiding this thread until I started on my weight loss path. I was going to wait until my next set of thyroid tests to see if my meds are at the right level but that's not for another week and a half and I didn't want to wait..so, I started today - went cold turkey on my beloved sugar/coca-cola. I'm going to try to avoid focusing on numbers but I would like to lose two dress sizes...my journey begins today.
    last Tuesday, 304.. this Monday, 299 again.. so.. there's hope.

I was GOING To re-join the gym today but work's totally gotten in the way. Damnit.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

NYYF Legend

I was GOING To re-join the gym today but work's totally gotten in the way. Damnit.
    That's excellent Boz! There is definitely hope.

We were discussing this on our run this morning (work getting in the way). One of my running partners husband works for PWC in the city and lives down the street from me. He gets up at 4:30am every morning, drives to one of the train stations in NY (Purdy's which is the train I take to the city), gets to his desk in Manhattan for about 7am and gets home about 10pm every night. Friday he works at home but I can't imagine doing that M-Thurs. I'd drop dead and it's got to suck not to have any time to work out.

NYYF Legend

definitely hope. how much have you lost?

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post

We were discussing this on our run this morning (work getting in the way). One of my running partners husband works for PWC in the city and lives down the street from me. He gets up at 4:30am every morning, drives to one of the train stations in NY (Purdy's which is the train I take to the city), gets to his desk in Manhattan for about 7am and gets home about 10pm every night. Friday he works at home but I can't imagine doing that M-Thurs. I'd drop dead and it's got to suck not to have any time to work out.
    those are pretty tough hours...I'm getting up most days at 6:30, working from 8 to 7-7:30 and then home at 8 and have to eat dinner and sometimes work some more..I thought that was bad - he's even worse. It's definitely affecting me and my weight/eating habits because you get home so late, then you eat late and can't sleep...and then you are tired so you crave more carbs the next day..I'm trying to break the cycle.

I'm on a very low calorie diet since I don't have time to exercise right now and then hope when I lose my weight and hopefully work is a bit better, I'll be ready for some toning up.

It's a good thing that guy has his wife to do most of the parenting stuff during the week because I can't imagine working the hours I am if I had kids...

NYYF Legend

those are pretty tough hours...I'm getting up most days at 6:30, working from 8 to 7-7:30 and then home at 8 and have to eat dinner and sometimes work some more..I thought that was bad - he's even worse. It's definitely affecting me and my weight/eating habits because you get home so late, then you eat late and can't sleep...and then you are tired so you crave more carbs the next day..I'm trying to break the cycle.

I'm on a very low calorie diet since I don't have time to exercise right now and then hope when I lose my weight and hopefully work is a bit better, I'll be ready for some toning up.

It's a good thing that guy has his wife to do most of the parenting stuff during the week because I can't imagine working the hours I am if I had kids...
    They've been doing it like this for years - it's not a great life really but we always joke to her that she's got the perfect situation. Husband gone M-Th. Seriously though, he's overweight and pretty stressed esp this time of the year. It comes with being a Partner at PWC but I always wonder if it's really worth it - the money and prestige of being a Partner.

No change. Head cold is making me eat a little more and walk a lot less. Still at -9.
    Let the kids play.

Ok, forget the diet thing. You need to change your work cycle. You can't be expected to work 11 hours every day. That's not right.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

NYYF Legend

Ok, forget the diet thing. You need to change your work cycle. You can't be expected to work 11 hours every day. That's not right.
    wow - that is so awesome Boz. I'm so happy for you - you must feel like a different person and now your kids have their dad around for a lot longer.

I know what you mean about the hours...my boss' boss came by last night on her way out and was telling me to leave and said she's trying to leave at least 2 nights a week on time because we're getting burned out and it's not going to get better but i have deadlines, so...right now, i'm just trying to do the best i can. I hope i get a damn good bonus next month...and of course, get to keep the job because they are laying people off..

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

I posted that in a thread in the SB. I lol'd when I saw it....good for those to view who have teenagers.

NYYF Legend

Only down .6 this week. Which is very discouraging since I've been the WW poster girl.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF Legend

Met one of my best friends out for late lunch/early dinner...I rarely drink but today I would have really liked a cocktail...not on the diet plan though.

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

43 lbs since 12/13.

And yes, I have the occasional cocktail (vodka rocks)
    Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
    World's Greatest Yankee Blog

1/2 pound this week. Slow is probably good. 9.5 lost, 9.5 to go.
    Let the kids play.

same as I was, but i'm finally back to the gym today. that makes me happy

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post

With hours like that, why not just stay in the city somewhere? Or move closer to the city? I know his family may be comfortable where they are now, but at some point enough has to be enough.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpbri2886 View Post
    With hours like that, why not just stay in the city somewhere? Or move closer to the city? I know his family may be comfortable where they are now, but at some point enough has to be enough.
    Well I thought that too.....however, her husbands hours are pretty much early, early morning until 10 or 11pm at night esp during tax season. So her point is this and after she said it, I agree. She's going to uproot her kids and move to the city or near the city, pay a ton more for housing and still only see her husband/kids see their father, on weekends? Why should she do that? Once she said that, I totally agreed with her. Right now they pretty much see him on weekends. It's the price they pay for him being a partner with PWC and making a sh*tload of money....and yes, I'm sure they ask themselves all the time if it's really worth it.

Until you walk in someone's shoes you can't judge IMO.

NYYF Legend

Down another 1.2 pounds. Total so far is 3.4. Slow and steady is OK. I feel better all around...more in control.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Down another 1.2 pounds. Total so far is 3.4. Slow and steady is OK. I feel better all around...more in control.
    That's great!
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

NYYF Legend

Congrats Trish - good start!

-6 lbs. since first week of January, 11 more to go by Dec 31... progress in small steps.
    ~*~ Bleeding Maize and Blue since 2001 ~*~

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Yer about 5'8" or so?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I've lost 25 pounds since mid October. Still looking to drop another 25.
    Congrats man. It's very do-able with enough will power. I've done it myself, lost 54 lbs a few years ago from 244 to 190lbs. I have dieting down to a science, but I have the advantage of being a 6'4" male with a high metabolism so I burn a lot more calories than a 5'5" female.

I figure I burn about 3000 calories per day naturally with no real exercise. So in diet mode, I eat 1500 calories per day, which means I burn -1500 x 7 = -10500 calories = exactly 3 pounds weight loss per week. So to lose 30 lbs (which I'm doing now), it'll take me exactly 10 weeks (and probably less with some exercise like stair climbing and fast paced walking).

1500 calories per day is not hard if you have the motivation and will power. You have to completely end the notion of eating as pleasure. Eating to feel good is OVER. You eat to live, and nothing more. The basic framework is to eat roughly 5 evenly spaced meals of 300 calories each.

I start the day with 360 cals of a whey protein shake (water mixed). Then half a subway sandwich at noon and at 4 pm (290 cals each). Then for dinner at 7 I have a frozen dinner (220-270 cals), then around 9 I have a can of tuna (100 cals), and I make up the balance of the 1500 for the day with nuts. I get through any tough times in between with black coffee or diet soda.

Rinse, lather, and repeat every single day with laser focus and work your ass off to avoid temptation. The worst is family functions or parties where food is shoved in front of your face. You have to say no, and keep portions very very small. If you do fall off the wagon, don't go crazy just get back on and get in your routine again the next day

Thread Information