+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Re: OOPs!

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Marlins Stadium seats 37,000 but only has 5000 garage spots and 4000 street parking spots. As of today, there is no public transportation available:
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...l-transit/695/
    Maybe they figured since they only draw about 20,000 fans a game, it doesn't matter. /sarcasm

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Marlins Stadium seats 37,000 but only has 5000 garage spots and 4000 street parking spots. As of today, there is no public transportation available:
    They're doomed. They'll never draw fans there.
    They could build a new stadium every year and it won't make a licka difference.
    (another genius move by Selig and company - South Florida ML baseball)
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Addicted Member

Re: marlins aesthetics

How many people are normally in a car for a game? Even if it is an average of 2 that only holds about 18,000. Maybe they will be hoping for more carpooling or people allowing parking in their yards (like when the Orange Bowl was there).

Quote Originally Posted by dgreco View Post
    How many people are normally in a car for a game? Even if it is an average of 2 that only holds about 18,000. Maybe they will be hoping for more carpooling or people allowing parking in their yards (like when the Orange Bowl was there).
    If the average car brought 3 fans.... That's still only 27,000.
    Whoever planned that is a monumental moron.

I thought there was going to be a direct shuttle from downtown lots and maybe the Civic Center?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I thought there was going to be a direct shuttle from downtown lots and maybe the Civic Center?
    That was talked about in general terms and may happen, but as of now there's nothing and no plan in the pipeline. They just woke up to that fact. The nearest train is a mile away, and you have to walk through some "interesting" neighborhoods to get there. There are some buses that run nearby, so I guess most people will have to take those

That was talked about in general terms and may happen, but as of now there's nothing and no plan in the pipeline. They just woke up to that fact. The nearest train is a mile away, and you have to walk through some "interesting" neighborhoods to get there. There are some buses that run nearby, so I guess most people will have to take those
    I'll reiterate....

I was in Miami this past May.
    I was staying in a downtown Miami hotel. Probably 15 miles away, maybe 20.
    I left for a game at 4:30pm from my hotel and didn't get to the stadium until the end of the 4th inning! 3 trains and a taxicab ride.... 4 hours.
    Going back was even worse because the main train stops running at 10pm.

Unless the public transportation is improved, they will not draw.

Well somehow they used to get 80,000 people into the Orange Bowl for Dolphins and Hurricanes games so I doubt the situation is as dire as this story makes it out to be. As another poster mentioned, a lot of people in the Orange Bowl area would park cars on their lawns. The story makes no mention of that alternative.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Well somehow they used to get 80,000 people into the Orange Bowl for Dolphins and Hurricanes games so I doubt the situation is as dire as this story makes it out to be. As another poster mentioned, a lot of people in the Orange Bowl area would park cars on their lawns. The story makes no mention of that alternative.
    Parking on the neighborhood lawns on a Saturday/Sunday is a lot different than parking on the neighborhood lawns EVERY NIGHT!

Seriously..... Football was once a week and when the Dolphns played in the Orange Bowl, it was 8 games. Not 81.

wow. this is starting to seem like the NYS obstructed view bleacher seats. massive failure
    like delv, but better

maybe they can build another aquarium over the obstructed seats and have live marlins in there
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Parking on the neighborhood lawns on a Saturday/Sunday is a lot different than parking on the neighborhood lawns EVERY NIGHT!
    Hey, if I've got a lawn and I can get 3-6 cars at $15 or 20 a pop, I'd do it 81 times a year and be glad for the opportunity. I seriously doubt very many that were inclined to let people park on their lawn for football games are going to turn down the chance at some very easy money just because it is a weeknight.

NYYF Legend

Hey, if I've got a lawn and I can get 3-6 cars at $15 or 20 a pop, I'd do it 81 times a year and be glad for the opportunity. I seriously doubt very many that were inclined to let people park on their lawn for football games are going to turn down the chance at some very easy money just because it is a weeknight.
    Yeah for sure. But I doubt there's too many houses that can fit 3 spots. Most will have 1, some two. Going rate is probably more like $10 a night, so optimistically 2x10x81 = $1620. IMO not worth the hassle but some of these people are probably poor and will love the income. Then again, when only 10,000 start showing up again there won't be any shortage of spots

But I doubt there's too many houses that can fit 3 spots.
    I went to an Orange Bowl game many years ago and we parked on someone's lawn. As I recall, they were packing 'em in. The guy whose lawn we parked on was squeezing cars in about six inches apart so you had to get out on the other side and putting them end-to-end so if you got there first, you were going to leave last.

You're right, however, that if the Marlins only are drawing 10,000-15,000 per game, the market for lawn parking will not be all that lucrative. But you never know. If Loria decides to spend enough money to get the Marlins into the playoffs, especially in the first 2-3 years of the new stadium, their fan base may very well increase so that lawn parking can make some of the people in the neighborhood some worthwhile cash.

There are a lot of lawns pretty close to the stadium. Go to Google Maps, enter "Marlins' Ballpark, Northwest 6th Street, Miami, FL" and select the satellite view to see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    look at the marlins 'homer statue'

what is this.

this immediately makes them the worst team in all of baseball, replacing the mests and their poorly chosen color scheme.

and here's this monstrosity in motion

They should just hand out blotter acid. Better effects, and they last for the whole game.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Wow...I guess $800,000,000 of taxpayer money doesn't get you parking.

NYYF Legend

Inspector General questions some welding at Miami Marlins' new stadium
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...s-2030533.html

Miami-Dade County’s inspector general is asking questions about the integrity of structural elements of the sliding roof on the new Miami Marlins stadium in Little Havana, after learning that a subcontractor allegedly falsified inspection reports on some critical welds.

The Marlins and their engineers embarked on a flurry of re-inspections after being alerted to the apparently falsified inspections more than a year ago, internal letters and documents collected by the IG’s office and obtained by The Miami Herald show. Some of the re-inspections led to repairs of welds that were substandard, the documents show.

Inspector General questions some welding at Miami Marlins' new stadium
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...s-2030533.html
    I wonder if that Garcia guy used to work for the contractors who did the same thing at the new yankee stadium.

NYYF Legend

That thing is going to be fantastic!

NYYF Legend

You mean fabulous! That statue is gonna be fabulous!

You mean fabulous! That statue is gonna be fabulous!
    Actually, I meant stupendous. It is going to be very, very stupendous.

Addicted Member

Actually, I meant stupendous. It is going to be very, very stupendous.
    And what "stupendous intellect" thought of that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Beccash18 View Post
    And what "stupendous intellect" thought of that thing?
    It's called "marketing." The Marlins will sell thousands of tickets to people who want to see that fantastic, fabulous and stupendous home run display device in person.

I still can't believe they're actually building that thing. Wow.

Thread Information