+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How Long Will Derek Jeter be a Yankee?

I was thinking about this in the shower today after my morning workout (ladies, swoon now).

If Jeter were to play like 2009/second half 2011 Jeter, would they give him more years? I would hope so. I'd give him 1year + 1 team option (don't know what the technical term is here). If he keeps raking, let him pass Rose's record in pinstripes. And it's not like .334/.406 OBP 18 HR, 30SB is anything to brush aside. Especially when you're old as crap.

I guess it would depend on his defense, but could you stick him in RF?

Re: How Long Will Derek Jeter be a Yankee?

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I was thinking about this in the shower today after my morning workout (ladies, swoon now).

If Jeter were to play like 2009/second half 2011 Jeter, would they give him more years? I would hope so. I'd give him 1year + 1 team option (don't know what the technical term is here). If he keeps raking, let him pass Rose's record in pinstripes. And it's not like .334/.406 OBP 18 HR, 30SB is anything to brush aside. Especially when you're old as crap.

I guess it would depend on his defense, but could you stick him in RF?
    ya know homie has a player option for 2014, yeah? that's quite a ways away...

btw, no to RF.
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    ya know homie has a player option for 2014, yeah? that's quite a ways away...

btw, no to RF.
    Oh I know, but what if he kept raking through the rest of his contract? How can you just say "k. time's up"?

Oh I know, but what if he kept raking through the rest of his contract? How can you just say "k. time's up"?
    Really? You're asking that question on this site?
    Some here think the "K, time's up" time was 4 years ago for Jeter.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Really? You're asking that question on this site?
    Some here think the "K, time's up" time was 4 years ago for Jeter.
    Well, look objectively as much as you can I guess. Once DJ got the 3K, he went back to classic Jeter. And to be honest, it probably helped us win the AL East.

Well, look objectively as much as you can I guess. Once DJ got the 3K, he went back to classic Jeter. And to be honest, it probably helped us win the AL East.
    Definitely did....
    But I still don't see this thread ending well.

“Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

If you look at it objectively, he can choose to be a Yankee for 3 more years, after which he'll be 40. It's hard to imagine he'll be performing at the same level that he is today. If he is, the Yankees will be incredibly lucky and can worry about it then.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    If you look at it objectively, he can choose to be a Yankee for 3 more years, after which he'll be 40. It's hard to imagine he'll be performing at the same level that he is today. If he is, the Yankees will be incredibly lucky and can worry about it then.
    Fast forward to then. If Jeter is still raking and playing respectable defense, do you resign him?

This is assuming we don't have a prospect that can fulfill his offense and provide better defense.

All I am hoping for - Jeter will retire as a Yankees when everything is said and done!

I just hope that he will hang it up when his numbers - both offensive and defensive are down.

Either way, Mariano will be the next one to go BEFORE Jeter! Not saying that it's a good thing - but it would be a very sad day when it happens!
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Fast forward to then. If Jeter is still raking and playing respectable defense, do you resign him?

This is assuming we don't have a prospect that can fulfill his offense and provide better defense.
    If he wants to still play, of course. But the odds of him performing at that level, and being healthy, are incredibly slim.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I don't really understand the question. I mean, why would any team dump a highly productive player who plays a difficult position to fill, especially if that player is the biggest franchise legend in half a century? Of course you'd re-sign that player. If Bernie Williams could keep putting up a .900+ ops in his late 30's, he probably would have been re-signed too.

To respond directly to your thread title, he will be a yankee (on the roster) until the end of 2013, after which he will take his buyout and retire.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I don't really understand the question. I mean, why would any team dump a highly productive player who plays a difficult position to fill, especially if that player is the biggest franchise legend in half a century? Of course you'd re-sign that player. If Bernie Williams could keep putting up a .900+ ops in his late 30's, he probably would have been re-signed too.

To respond directly to your thread title, he will be a yankee (on the roster) until the end of 2013, after which he will take his buyout and retire.
    I agree.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post

Jeter will be a Yankee for as long as he wants.

I am absolutely convinced that he has a gut full of pride and will retire as a player when he feels he can't contribute. After that the Yankees will offer a personal services contract for lifetime and he'll do whatever floats his boat, for however how long he wants to do irt. We had another shortstop who gained HOF fame who was with the Yankees for over 50 years. Don't be surprised to see Jeter around that long.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I am absolutely convinced that he has a gut full of pride
    I'll go one further. I think he has a belly full of guts, and each one of those guts is full of pride.

A pride of lions.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Derek Jeter will ALWAYS be a Yankee.
    Pardon, for us.

Jeter will be a Yankee for as long as he wants.

I am absolutely convinced that he has a gut full of pride and will retire as a player when he feels he can't contribute. After that the Yankees will offer a personal services contract for lifetime and he'll do whatever floats his boat, for however how long he wants to do irt. We had another shortstop who gained HOF fame who was with the Yankees for over 50 years. Don't be surprised to see Jeter around that long.

Andy
    This......."...........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Not long now that Nakajma is coming for his job!

Mwuahahahaha

I don't get the question. Of course if he is still performing at a high level offensively and is not a defensive liability you keep him around. The more important question is, will he be doing those things? I'd love to see it, but I doubt he's raking at age 40.

EDIT - basically, what Mr. Mx said.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't get the question. Of course if he is still performing at a high level offensively and is not a defensive liability you keep him around. The more important question is, will he be doing those things? I'd love to see it, but I doubt he's raking at age 40.

EDIT - basically, what Mr. Mx said.
    His lawn
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

no way Jeter plays any other position than SS. In his last few years he might DH more (not that he's good at that but just to keep him in the lineup)
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

For the rest of his life.
    [font=Verdana]Live For The Day[/font]

til death, dear
    always reasonable

Until he can't contribute on the field. He's not dumb and he'll never play anywhere else.

Question is will he simply retire or will he join the coaching staff in the future? Maybe take up a radio gig or seat on YES? It'd be a shame if he completely disapeared after retiring.
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.

NYYF Legend

Jeter's contract runs through 2013 with a players option for 2014. after the contract Jeter will be 40. If he wants to play, and that's a big if, the Yankees and he will go on one year contracts till either party has enough

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Jeter's contract runs through 2013 with a players option for 2014. after the contract Jeter will be 40. If he wants to play, and that's a big if, the Yankees and he will go on one year contracts till either party has enough

Andy
    It doesn't matter if he's playing baseball or not. He'll always be a Yankee.
    Pardon, for us.

Thread Information