+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Re: Penn State child rape scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    The Pope got a whole lot more heat from the Cathlic church than JoePa is right now from the PSU cultists.
    There are cultists in both camps, and I'm pretty sure Penn State has been more active in publically investigating itself and indicting its hierarchy than the Church was
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I bet that the library name will change soon too...
    I seriously think they should change its name to the "Victim #2 Library." I believe Victim #2 was the one McQueary saw in the shower and reported to Paterno.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post
    So, they'll remove the statue, but the name of the library remains the same?

I guess I don't get that. What's the difference? I guess, if it were me, I'd try to make a statement by distancing myself from everything Paterno.
    Because the family funded the building of the library and they think the family will sue to get their donation back.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Because the family funded the building of the library and they think the family will sue to get their donation back.
    Maybe we should start looking into Joe's family. Maybe he told them and they all did nothing to stop a monster from ruining lives for years and years.
    Pardon, for us.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

1) $60 million fine
    2) No bowls for 4 years
    3) Loss of 10 scholarships for 4 years
    4) Penn State will vacate all wins from 1998-2011
    5) Any student can transfer with no penalty this year

Can the NCAA please stop acting like "vacated wins" is a thing? it's not a real punishment.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Can the NCAA please stop acting like "vacated wins" is a thing? it's not a real punishment.
    Agreed, it's completely stupid. Plus, them winning is completely independent of what happened. I'm all for the harshest of punishments for Penn State, but this particular one makes zero sense and means absolutely nothing.

1.) It lowers Paterno on the all time wins list as a coach to #12 (I believe he was #1 before that).
    2.) I think the vacating of wins is supposed to encourage coaches to do the right thing if the situation were to ever arise again.
    3.) F Penn state.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Bobby Bowden is a happy man.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Bobby Bowden is a happy man.
    I doubt that he's in any way happy about it.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

It's a spinkling on top of the sh*t sundae that is so rightly deserved.

People complaining about the vacated wins in this punishment is so myopic. It's an addition to the other, more tangible stuff, and it affects Paterno's on-paper legacy. It absolutely means something in the totality of the equation.

If the sole penalty for covering up child rape was vacated wins, then yeah, you'd have a point.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    It's a sprinkling on top of the sh*t sundae that is so rightly deserved.

People complaining about the vacated wins in this punishment is so myopic. It's an addition to the other, more tangible stuff, and it affects Paterno's on-paper legacy. It absolutely means something in the totality of the equation.

If the sole penalty for covering up child rape was vacated wins, then yeah, you'd have a point.
    I think the point people are making is just that it doesn't do too much. Your description in the first sentence is probably pretty good, though. I'm certainly not against them taking away the wins; I just think that aspect might be perceived as more significant than it actually is right now.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

It's a spinkling on top of the sh*t sundae that is so rightly deserved.

Except that the other penalties arent really all that harsh.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I think the point people are making is just that it doesn't do too much. Your description in the first sentence is probably pretty good, though. I certainly don't think that they shouldn't have taken away the wins; I just think that aspect might be perceived as more significant than it actually is right now.
    The only person the wins taken away affects is the Paterno name and coaching legacy. It's not intended as a punishment to bring the university to it's knee or make the fanbase cry. It's the tack-on at the end that makes sure the NCAA record book doesn't officially list Paterno as the all-time wins leader.

It doesn't do much because it's not intended to do much - it has a very specific and limited purpose, and has nothing to do with the meat and potatoes of the punishment.

The only person the wins taken away affects is the Paterno name and coaching legacy. It's not intended as a punishment to bring the university to it's knee or make the fanbase cry. It's the tack-on at the end that makes sure the NCAA record book doesn't officially list Paterno as the all-time wins leader.

It doesn't do much because it's not intended to do much - it has a very specific and limited purpose, and has nothing to do with the meat and potatoes of the punishment.
    Fair enough.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Except that the other penalties arent really all that harsh.
    The school's football program is going to be crippled for a decade. It's as harsh, or more harsh, than anything we've ever seen doled out previously.

If you're saying that nothing can ever undo the evil that was visited upon the victims of the coverup, then yeah, I agree. The punishments handed out though are extremely harsh, and deservedly so. I suspect there's not finished getting disciplined, either.

The Big-10 will be denying them conference revenue, too, evidently.

The school's football program is going to be crippled for a decade. It's as harsh, or more harsh, than anything we've ever seen doled out previously.

If you're saying that nothing can ever undo the evil that was visited upon the victims of the coverup, then yeah, I agree. The punishments handed out though are extremely harsh, and deservedly so. I suspect there's not finished getting disciplined, either.

The Big-10 will be denying them conference revenue, too, evidently.
    Plus, the Department of Education still hasn't announced their inevitable sanctions, which could potentially be worst of all for the university.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

You're wrong. Vacating the wins hits the JoePa cultists where it really hurts.

Photographic evidence from PSU campus

Meanwhile, they'll continue in denial

NYYF Cy Young

So here's what I did this afternoon at work. My buddies idea and I did the photoshop:

530243_433967329981219_1355850174_n.jpg
    Attached Images

At first, I thought the wins things was pointless, but given the inane way that so many connected to PSU have approached this situation; I wouldn't be surprised if it was the sanction that many felt hit hardest. They may not pay the $60m personally, or miss out of a scholarship themselves but games they cared about have been taken away from 'their' coach. There will be plenty out there feeling this particular punishment hard in the gut which shows their complete lack of understanding.

Just a thought ...
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

In a way, I think that was the meat and potatoes of the punishment. Honestly, I don't care that much if the Penn State football program is punished and damaged going forward. I think the sanctification of Paterno - and the identification of the football program specifically with him, and the (im)moral authority it brought him with the administration, is precisely what needs to be destroyed.

Let Penn State have its football; that's OK with me. But they have to find a way to market it entirely without Paterno, or anyone who was associated with him in any way.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

its official:

the Penn State football team has not won a game since November 22nd 1997.

their starting quarterback that day was ..... Mike McQueary

What will suffer most are the smaller athletic teams... I went to CU and after our scandal a few years ago we were cut down to 16 D1 teams - which is the fewest allowed. Men's soccer & baseball were both ended. The loss of scholarships and revenue will cripple the entire Penn State athletic department.

Listening/reading reaction from PSU students and alums. Whether its just normal students or past players. They are all upset saying Paterno doesnt deserve this and the school doesnt either.

It still amazes me that all of them just...dont..get it. PSU was one of the schools I was looking at when I graduated HS. If I went there my first year would have been 1999. Glad I didnt otherwise I might have become one of those Kool-Aid drinking morons that they all have become.

Thread Information