+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 MLB Amateur Draft

Anybody know anything about whether the Yankees have any interest in this kid 3b/1b/dh Ron Miller, playing out of California in a sandlot league he opted to play in rather than play his senior year of high school? I left a little note for Mike Axisa over at Riveraveblues about this kid because John Klima over at Baseball Prospect Report loves this kid, & after checking out several of his youtube videos, I'm in full agreement w/his evaluation of him; this kid will hit & hit for power. He will be a force! Get him drafted & signed & let him play professional ball for the next 2 - 4 years, this kid will blow the doors off of plenty of big league pitching staffs for a long time thereafter. I'd love to have this kid in our system! No joke, this kid can flat out hit!!!

I've attached one of Klima's reports on this kid from earlier this spring.

http://www.bbprospectreport.com/2012...r-2#more-15522

After reading and listening to more draft experts there might be a number of high school guys that fall to the Yankees slot that won't be drafted even by the Yankees because they want more money than clubs can give them so they'll go to college. Some Yankee fans will criticize why the Yankees didn't draft those guys at 30, but it's really simple, Yankees know they can't sign them and don't want to lose that slot's draft allotment. The only way one of those guys slide and the Yankees draft him is if Boras or some other agent involved whisper to the Yankees that he will sign with them at below their perceived value. IMO, the chances are slim for that scenario.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Totally agree, but Ron Miller shouldn't go to college to play ball. Miller is a hit first, power pull hitter who shouldn't have to waste 4 years dealing w/the college baseball scene. He needs to play professional baseball every day & as soon as possible & get the kind of attention from pro coaches that will encourage him to have the confidence in his hands that this kid should & will have.

He's really got an extraordinary swing & great pop. At best, he has average or even below average speed, average arm, & he probably will have to get better foot work to play 3b, but he's athletic enough to accomplish that, & oh, yeah, did I mention this kid can hit? He's the type of hitter Dante Bichette, Jr. could only hope to be in his dreams & that's w/no disrespect to Bichette intended.

Following last year's draft Oppenheimer said the organization was looking to bring power hitting tool guys into the sytstem. Miller has the ability to be one of those special hitters that anchor a lineup for years to come. I just hope Oppenheimer has this kid on his radar & doesn't wait too long to pop him because if the Bombers don't act quickly enough, some other smart club is going to draft him & have him terrorize pitching staffs for many years to come.

As for how much, I don't know, but just guessing, I'd bet he'd sign for 3rd round money, & if there's a risk of losing him, I'd draft him earlier than that & use that round slot money. This kids bat is something special & I'd like to see it play out for the home team in the Bronx.

Personally I hope they take a quality bat with the first pick since they aren't that abundant in this draft. Lots of prep and college arms are the strength of this draft. Addison Russell, DJ Davis or a guys like Mitch Gueller I'd be happy with

NYYF Legend

If hes there I think Lance Mc cullers is the guy we pick. Son of ex Yankee and seems to be on our radar for weeks now. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    If hes there I think Lance Mc cullers is the guy we pick. Son of ex Yankee and seems to be on our radar for weeks now. JMO
    can we pay him what he wants is the real question
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    can we pay him what he wants is the real question
    Right and that's going to be the question for a few of those guys that might drop in the draft.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

since we will probably see this asked, we have $4,192,200 to play with in the top 10 rounds.

id love for the yankees to get a shot at Tanner Rahier, but i think he might be gone

NYYF Legend

I think our cap is 1.6 mill Ive seen him listed going to the Braves and they only can go up to 2 mill.Is he on record as saying he wants a set amount to sign ?

NYYF Legend

since we will probably see this asked, we have $4,192,200 to play with in the top 10 rounds.

id love for the yankees to get a shot at Tanner Rahier, but i think he might be gone
    What's the rule in regards to the spending on the rounds after round 10?

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    What's the rule in regards to the spending on the rounds after round 10?

$100,000 max, anything over counts towards your cap

NYYF Legend

$100,000 max, anything over counts towards your cap
    The same rule applies to all teams?

I think our cap is 1.6 mill Ive seen him listed going to the Braves and they only can go up to 2 mill.Is he on record as saying he wants a set amount to sign ?

im not sure the braves can sign him either, they have slightly less than us to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    The same rule applies to all teams?
    yes its across the line. every pick in the top 10 rounds has a dollar value attached to it, and every team adds their picks values together and there's your cap

I'm all ready and excited, even though we only have one pick in the first round.

astros take correa #1, pretty big upset

twins in a great spot right now

NYYF Legend

Man, its pretty funny how the hard slotting significantly decreased interest in the draft. I'm sure people have talked about this before, but i definitely anticipated today a lot less. I'm sure the effect isn't limited to this website, wonder if Selig & co care about draft interest

slotting today really shouldn't have much an impact on this round, the slots this year are higher than they have been in the past. later on is where the crunch will happen

twins get who they want in buxton

does seattle take Appel here?

NYYF Legend

slotting today really shouldn't have much an impact on this round, the slots this year are higher than they have been in the past. later on is where the crunch will happen
    Why wouldn't it? There was always the possibility that somebody would drop $4-5 mil at the back of the first round in the past and thereby get a top 10 guy, but now it seems like you are getting the talent in the order it descends, and guys who won't sign can't be won over

twins get who they want in buxton

does seattle take Appel here?
    Yeah, I believe so.

Callis on Twitter saying Zunino

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Why wouldn't it? There was always the possibility that somebody would drop $4-5 mil at the back of the first round in the past and thereby get a top 10 guy, but now it seems like you are getting the talent in the order it descends

that almost never happens, pretty much no one gets that much money outside of the top 5-6

Dang O's going to have Bundy, Manny and Appel.

Thread Information