+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Bald Vinny & the Bleacher Creatures

Bald Vinny apparently led his last roll call last night. He's shutting down his t-shirt business (as per his twitter and facebook accounts) and focusing on leading a different life.

The roll call is obviously a fixture at Yankee games as is Bald Vinny. Sad to hear. He's always great to talk to and doesn't act like a snob for being the most famous Yankee Fan (see Fireman Ed of the Jets).

Kind of a bummer. Lots of things seem to have made last night the toughest first round exit for us ever.

Re: Bald Vinny & the Bleacher Creatures

Oh wow, I did not see that on Twitter but now I do....

Addicted Member

I was going to post a thread on this. It's very depressing, i'm hoping that Vinny is just saying this out of emotion from a tough series. Vinny is one of the reasons i am the yankee fan i am today, and i have at least one of his shirts for every day of the week. he will be missed if he indeed chooses other endeavors.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by BBombers85 View Post
    Bald Vinny apparently led his last roll call last night. He's shutting down his t-shirt business (as per his twitter and facebook accounts) and focusing on leading a different life.

The roll call is obviously a fixture at Yankee games as is Bald Vinny. Sad to hear. He's always great to talk to and doesn't act like a snob for being the most famous Yankee Fan (see Fireman Ed of the Jets).

Kind of a bummer. Lots of things seem to have made last night the toughest first round exit for us ever.
    He's a good guy. He said on fb he was going to write about in his blog. Can you give me the link? I'm sure having 2 little kids also helped make his decision. He said he was pretty emotional about this. Solid guy.

Wait...so there won't be a roll call anymore?

Someone can take over his duties right? right?
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

I went on his blog and like I said he's now got 2 little kids so I can see why selling t-shirts during baseball season just ain't cutting it anymore....plus there were many times he'd write how beat he was going to back to back games. Everything changes with kids and this seems like the case here.

He didn't say anything about roll call and I wonder if he'll continue to go to all 81 home games.

Someone was kinda bugging him to continue and he said this: "yeah, and i rely on my job selliing shirts to feed my kids and pay my mortgage. which is more important? screaming names? don't think so...."

NYYF Legend

I'm pretty sure the tradition would continue but sad to see him go.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Because of the rain and poor economy, Vinny's sales didn't do so well this year. The business just never made it as far/wide-ranging as he wanted it to. He's one of the first people on and off River Ave and that takes a toll. He also has had to deal with ridiculous incidents and idiots. During homestands, he practically doesn't see his kids.

He said won't be going to as many games. Tina will appoint spmeone to do roll call. It's been a long-time bleacher tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Because of the rain and poor economy, Vinny's sales didn't do so well this year. The business just never made it as far/wide-ranging as he wanted it to. He's one of the first people on and off River Ave and that takes a toll. He also has had to deal with ridiculous incidents and idiots. During homestands, he practically doesn't see his kids.

He said won't be going to as many games. Tina will appoint spmeone to do roll call. It's been a long-time bleacher tradition.
    The new stadium killed River Ave businesses, plus a lot of his most clever work, Yankee secuirty would harasss you for wearing an offensive shirt. Good guy whenever I ran into him

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    The new stadium killed River Ave businesses, plus a lot of his most clever work, Yankee secuirty would harasss you for wearing an offensive shirt. Good guy whenever I ran into him
    Yeah, that too. Diehard fans being priced out. You think you'll ever see the suits in Legends buying an F Youk shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Yeah, that too. Diehard fans being priced out. You think you'll ever see the suits in Legends buying an F Youk shirt?
    Very good point. You can tell the die hards and smart Yankee fans are not at these games, when the Yankee Team Stores are doing off the charts business. real fans know that the same stuff can be had at Modells for 25% less, and that any dated T-shirts (ALDS, 3000 hits, Mos saves, etc) will be 75% off as soon as new product comes in. The tourists and casual fans have not a clue they are getting ripped off, they just want that authenitc Yankee hologram and team Store bag

Anyone know what brand of shirt Vinny prints on? I wanted to buy one all year but I know specific brands are sized differently.

If he really gives this up, he will be sorely missed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKoolAidKid View Post
    Anyone know what brand of shirt Vinny prints on? I wanted to buy one all year but I know specific brands are sized differently.
    No idea but maybe it says what kind of shirts on his web site.

http://section203.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKoolAidKid View Post
    Via his twitter:

baldvinny vinny milano yes standard adult sizes. Gildan ultra heavy pre shrunk cotton

Quote Originally Posted by JCard View Post
    Via his twitter:

baldvinny vinny milano yes standard adult sizes. Gildan ultra heavy pre shrunk cotton
    Perfect, thanks.

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2011/1...s-tickets.html

What do you think is going to happen with the roll call going forward?

I think people are going do it. Itís really not complex. Itís just yelling. It just helps if you have a focal point, so people donít jump all over each other. It sounds like a muddled mess if you donít have somebody kind of orchestrating it. And whether itís me, or somebody else, I think itís going to go on. The Bleacher Creatures are never going to stop being Bleacher Creatures just because Iím not there. I think itíll go on. Itís going to be a little different, because Iím the only one who was there every day. Whether it was a makeup of a rain-out, or a doubleheader, or a Tuesday day gameóyou know, most people work Tuesday days. You know what I mean? I was like the constant. Iím sure somebodyís going to fill in. Like I said, itís not brain surgery. Itís not like you need a PhD to get up on a bench and start yelling

Quote Originally Posted by 4trainEddie View Post
    http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2011/1...s-tickets.html

What do you think is going to happen with the roll call going forward?

I think people are going do it. Itís really not complex. Itís just yelling. It just helps if you have a focal point, so people donít jump all over each other. It sounds like a muddled mess if you donít have somebody kind of orchestrating it. And whether itís me, or somebody else, I think itís going to go on. The Bleacher Creatures are never going to stop being Bleacher Creatures just because Iím not there. I think itíll go on. Itís going to be a little different, because Iím the only one who was there every day. Whether it was a makeup of a rain-out, or a doubleheader, or a Tuesday day gameóyou know, most people work Tuesday days. You know what I mean? I was like the constant. Iím sure somebodyís going to fill in. Like I said, itís not brain surgery. Itís not like you need a PhD to get up on a bench and start yelling
    I really like this guy's attitude. He did not start the roll call, he just ended up being the guy associated with it. Just like Fireman Ed did not come up with the Jets chant, he just happened to be the guy near the stadium camera one day and had a cool helmet.

The difference is Vinny does not run around acting like he is super fan or think he is some sort of celebrity, his take has been that he is just a guy who was in the right place / right time.

I wish him well

NYYF Legend

I really like this guy's attitude.

The difference is Vinny does not run around acting like he is super fan or think he is some sort of celebrity, his take has been that he is just a guy who was in the right place / right time.

I wish him well
    I agree. I liked him when he was on that old YES reality show where the fans lived together and went to all the games (can't recall the name). He seemed very down to earth. I wish him well too.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    I agree. I liked him when he was on that old YES reality show where the fans lived together and went to all the games (can't recall the name)
    It was Ultimate Road Trip
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    It was Ultimate Road Trip
    Yeah that was it. Thanks.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

The yankees should hire him..great PR

Quote Originally Posted by yankeenut View Post
    The yankees should hire him..great PR
    No offense, but why sould the Yankees give him a job? I am sure there are thousands of ticket holders that had to give up their seats because of work/family issues. He made a choice to move on.

No offense, but why sould the Yankees give him a job? I am sure there are thousands of ticket holders that had to give up their seats because of work/family issues. He made a choice to move on.
    Because he preforms a service that the fans in attendance have come to expect.

I'm sure some players feel it's a ritual. He is not a normal ticket holder.

Swisher seemed to get a kick out of it.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yankeenut View Post
    Because he preforms a service that the fans in attendance have come to expect.

I'm sure some players feel it's a ritual. He is not a normal ticket holder.

Swisher seemed to get a kick out of it.
    the old cow bell guy should have been a part owner in that case- vinny is not nearly in his class of yankee history
    Ali gave his heart for 9 innings per game every game

Thread Information