+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Thanks

Re: Thanks

It was tough ending to a great year.

I do feel like some of our greatness is gone after the last two years. It feels as if that last WS trophy was a decade ago.

I think they got lucky with some of the retread pitching that got them to the playoffs this year but i dont' think they can really do that year in year out. They really need to solidify the roles after Sabathia and either go out and get a free agent or two entering their prime, or trust some guys in house to fill that role. Inserting a hopeful into the 5 spot is one thing, but trying to fill the 2-3-4 holes with them is a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It didn't end as we hoped, but the Yankees gave us another season of great baseball. Most wins in the AL in a season where no one predicted them to win the division.

Thanks to the Yankees for countless hours of enjoyment this year.

It's time to reflect, retool and get ready to win it all next year.

The baseball season is officially over.
    The hardest part for me is the realization of how many hours I invested in this team over the past six months. Then it dawns on me that I was investing those hours primarily out of my love for the sport, and that the Yankees' success is secondary.

Detroit as a city can use a title, and I hope they accomplish their goal.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I don't believe in revising (except for injuries) expectations as the season progresses. Obviously a division winning team should hope to go farther in the playoffs. That being said, I thought this team was a wild card team at best with the rotation coming into 2011. The fact we won the division handily was very impressive. A very enjoyable year.
    Life is good!

NYYF MVP

Great thread, JDPNYY.

There's not much else to be said for this wonderful season. Thanks to the Yankees and everyone on this board for making the 2011 season as thrilling and entertaining as it was.

Can't wait 'til next year... 28 in 2012!

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."
    ~A. Bartlett Giamatti

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
    ~Rogers Hornsby
    28 in 2014

NYYF Legend

Wonderful quotes. ^

Yeah, Yankees thanks for the bunches of TH Threads you made possible.

NYYF Legend

I was thinking about this same thing over the last two days. Because of the EI package and MLB At Bat, watching/listening to a Yankees game is possible outside of their market and therefore has become part of my daily routine. So while an early postseason exit is always tough, the Yankees did give me 162+ wonderful days/nights of baseball (include the ST games here too). Each time I was able to turn a game on during the regular season was a blessing.

Four months until pitchers and catchers report!

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    I was thinking about this same thing over the last two days. Because of the EI package and MLB At Bat, watching/listening to a Yankees game is possible outside of their market and therefore has become part of my daily routine. So while an early postseason exit is always tough, the Yankees did give me 162+ wonderful days/nights of baseball (include the ST games here too). Each time I was able to turn a game on during the regular season was a blessing.

Four months until pitchers and catchers report!

Heidi
    I'm about 500 miles south of you, and you've described my summer exactly. Every night the computer is on and MLB.TV brings me the Yanks. That's the joy of baseball above all other sports, the absolute every day-ness of it. Hard to see it end, but there's always next spring.

This just made me think of what it was like before the internet and ESPN, living in Los Angeles and listening to an all-news station that did sports :15 and :45 of the hour, waiting for an update of the Yankee game in progress. Talk about torture!
    Mays played baseball. Mantle was baseball.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
    This just made me think of what it was like before the internet and ESPN, living in Los Angeles and listening to an all-news station that did sports :15 and :45 of the hour, waiting for an update of the Yankee game in progress. Talk about torture!
    If I had had the Internet and mlb.tv during the years I spent in Brazil, 1982-1993, I wouldn't have missed....the longest post-season drought in Yankee history (and all but the last two years of Don Mattingly's career.)
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF MVP

I enjoyed the season and I am always happy to watch the Yankees play in the playoffs no matter how far they get. I am already excited about certain players next season and excited to see how the team changes. It always hurts to lose but it wouldn't feel so good when we win the WS if it was easy to do.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    I enjoyed the season and I am always happy to watch the Yankees play in the playoffs no matter how far they get. I am already excited about certain players next season and excited to see how the team changes. It always hurts to lose but it wouldn't feel so good when we win the WS if it was easy to do.
    Great point. We need to lose in order to appreciate winning.

Thanks for a great season Yankees!
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    Great point. We need to lose in order to appreciate winning.

Thanks for a great season Yankees!
    And take all the positives and dramatic wins in the years in-between championships and build with them towards another title.

I took the Jim Leyritz's walkoff home run in Game 2 of the 1995 ALDS with me to 1996 title.

I took the walkoff wins in Games 4 and 5 of the 2001 World Series and Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS with me to the 2009 title.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Thread Information