+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thanks

Devoted Member

Re: Thanks

It was a good season. Didn't end the way I'd hoped it would. However, finishing the way they did was surprising and successful in my book. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought a rotation of CC, Burnett, Colon, Garcia, & Nova would have done the things they did.

Devoted Member

Also it's a little annoying that if it's not the Twins or A's, we can't win an LDS.

It hurts, but credit to the Tigers. I wouldn't go as far to say they played better, but they certainly belonged.

Let's not allow one series loss to overshadow the 162 days+ of enjoyment that the team spoils us with.

NYYF MVP

Congratulations and thanks go to the kind of players who would never accept it after a season ends in defeat: Jeter, Mariano, Jorge... They would be the first to deflect any credit/lauding because the Yankees didn't achieve their ultimate goal.

When you have the kind of team the Yankees had in 2011 -- scores 12 runs one game followed by a 2-run performance -- you just aren't going to go very far at all. My hat is off to the Tigers, as they came together as a team and rightfully beat the Yankees yet again. Face it, they deserved it more. Here's to hoping the Yankees can take after Detroit's example in 2012.
    I LOVE New York!!!
    VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

NYYF HOF

I didn't expect this team to even make the post season, but this loss pales in comparison to what happened up north.
    They over-performed using spare parts and made it interesting during the dog days of July and August. They had a little luck with Boston's bad start and awful finish, but they did break-down towards the end when injuries and age started to show.

Meh.. As my dad used to say when the Yankees season ended "football season just started"..
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman-of-TheBoard View Post
    Congratulations and thanks go to the kind of players who would never accept it after a season ends in defeat: Jeter, Mariano, Jorge... They would be the first to deflect any credit/lauding because the Yankees didn't achieve their ultimate goal.

When you have the kind of team the Yankees had in 2011 -- scores 12 runs one game followed by a 2-run performance -- you just aren't going to go very far at all. My hat is off to the Tigers, as they came together as a team and rightfully beat the Yankees yet again. Face it, they deserved it more. Here's to hoping the Yankees can take after Detroit's example in 2012.
    Great post and I agree.
    "The future ain't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

NYYF Cy Young

Great thread. The team outperformed expectations over the regular season, and except for Jorge, Jeter, Cano and Gardner the offense underperformed in the playoffs. What is frustrating is I think we are a better team than Detroit, and a better team than Texas. Oh, well they gave us a good ride up to this point.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

I thought it was a good season. They went about as far as I expected at the outset of the year and at the outset of the playoffs, given the starting pitching at both junctures, and the uncertainties about ARod's physical status coming into the playoffs.

I do not agree that the Tigers and Rangers are inferior. I think both teams are very good and either could win the WS. Especially after Nova's injury, I doubt our team could have done so.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It didn't end as we hoped, but the Yankees gave us another season of great baseball. Most wins in the AL in a season where no one predicted them to win the division.

Thanks to the Yankees for countless hours of enjoyment this year.

It's time to reflect, retool and get ready to win it all next year.

The baseball season is officially over.
    I'd like to borrow this. Well said John.

Sad today - it's going to take awhile to get over this one....

NYYF Legend

When you've won 27 WS championships, there's a tendancy to expect to be the ones hoisting the trophy when the season ends. They weren't even in the discussion to win the division back in April. So in that regard, 2011 was not a failure. It was Granderson blowing everybody away in every possible way. It Colon and Garcia finding the Fountain of Youth long enough to get us to the ALDS. It was Cano taking his game to another level, worthy of MVP consideration. It was Nova giving everyone a glimpse into the future of a pitcher who has what it takes to be a front end starter on the most closely scrutinized teams in MLB. It was Jeter and Mo reminding everybody that age is indeed, nothing but a number. It was Jorgie digging down deep and finding the magic thought to be long gone. It was AJ exercising the demons that plagued him relentlessly and doing it when we needed him the most.

I will wear my Yankee cap this weekend as I always do and wear it with pride. Thanks guys, for one helluva ride. We'll be here waiting for you in 2012.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I have loved the New York Yankees since the early 60s. I love them today.

No 28th Championship this year, but it was still an incredible year. Jeter's 3000th. Mo's record-breaking Save. Granderson's emergence as an MVP. Robertson's phenomenal year.

If you had told me in April that A-Rod would have mid-season surgery, that we wouldn't add any pieces or parts to the roster for the entire season, that Hughes would get hurt while the calendar still said April, that Tex would forget how to hit.........I'd figure we'd be in 4th place.

I can't wait until April. Let's do it again next year (but go deeper into October). I miss baseball already.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I have loved the New York Yankees since the early 60s. I love them today.

No 28th Championship this year, but it was still an incredible year. Jeter's 3000th. Mo's record-breaking Save. Granderson's emergence as an MVP. Robertson's phenomenal year.

If you had told me in April that A-Rod would have mid-season surgery, that we wouldn't add any pieces or parts to the roster for the entire season, that Hughes would get hurt while the calendar still said April, that Tex would forget how to hit.........I'd figure we'd be in 4th place.

I can't wait until April. Let's do it again next year (but go deeper into October). I miss baseball already.
    I echo this sentiment. It was a great year for baseball, even if we didn't make it all the way this time. Plus, the offseason fun begins...and it should be a really, REALLY interesting offseason. Come back with a vengeance next year. We'll have to, because we all know Boston will.
    Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

Thank you Yankees , JDPNYY for the thread, and everyone.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    This loss shouldn't sit well with anybody. Didn't expect to be here? Better than expected? Screw that. This is the Yankees, we expect to be in the WS every year.

They had no business losing tonight's game the way they did. So many missed opportunities, so many maddening decisions by Girardi, just an awful way to end the season.

This one especially ticks me off because a) that's twice we've lost in the DS to Detroit, and b) it robs us of a chance for revenge on Texas

The only real coherent and printable thought I have right now is to say thanks for the memories Jorge, and thanks for showing up to win when the other vets were content to sit back and let themselves fall victim to a ridiculous strike zone.
    While I am proud of what we accomplished in the regular season I have to agree I am not happy with the Game 5 loss. Once we got to Game 5, the fact that we overachieved to get there was a moot point. We were down a run and had countless opporunities to get a sac fly and tie the game. The mere fact that we couldn't do that is what irks me the most . . .

First year I've ever backed a baseball team and I'm still glad I picked the Yankees. Lost alot of sleep along the way but enjoyed every minute.

Cannot wait for next season and to see just what the starting rotation is going to look like. Just like the Rangers there's alot of promise in this side, even with the older guys, when you see Nunez, Montero and Nova all coming through and succeeding together!

Bring on 2012!
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.

NYYF Legend

It was a great season! Fun to see Mariano and Jeter reach their milestones.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    It was a great season! Fun to see Mariano and Jeter reach their milestones.
    Yes - but as the Yankee brass will state - this is a team that looks for team achievement first and individual achievement second. Yeah we enjoy them, but I would give them up for #28. Same with MVPs, Cy Youngs, etc.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Right now I am not confident in 2012. The Yankees have a lot of work to do.

CC Sabathia could opt out of his contract and go elsewhere. Would Boston make a big push for him given their collapse this year? Atlanta? Would the Phillies like to add him to their stable?

If Sabathia is gone, who do we have besides Nova? Colon and Garcia? Can they repeat their magic from 2011? Hughes? Joba? AJ Burnett?

Is Jeter "back"? Or was his 2nd half a last hurrah? What about A-Rod and his serious decline in production? Granderson can't possibly hit 40+ HR a year, can he?

Cashman (or his successor) will have their work cut out for them this off-season...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

When I woke up this morning, I realized how good this season was with what we had.

I also remember about 1995 when I took that memory of Jim Leyritz's walkoff home run in Game 2 vs. the Seattle Mariners with me to the 1996 season where we won it all.

Same thing with the 9-year gap between 2000-2009 where I take the 2001 WS wins in Games 4 and 5 and the 2003 ALCS Game 7 win and take them with me to the 2009 title.

As Yankees fans, that's what we do. When he had gaps between titles, we take all the positives with us and build them to another world title.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Yeah thanks.

I've supported you for years A-Rod. But you can kiss my ass.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF HOF

Thanks to the team for a fun season, and at least the hope for a glorious post-season, when most thought we wouldn't get there. And thanks to JDPNYY for a thread that showcases our good thoughts about our team. The casual reader of the game thread, and ITL, misses the truth of our underlying loyalty to the guys who wear the pinstripes.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thanks a lot Minnesota Twins. I blame the Yankees loss on their inability to not make the playoffs this year.

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
    World's Greatest Yankee Blog

NYYF Legend

It's hard to be upset over a rainy day when in Beantown they're still trying to recover from a hurricane.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Cy Young

Yeah, for what is something of a transition season as the core four slowly dwindles away, we had a pretty damn good year. The bottom line is we lost in a 5 game series - that could have gone either way - to a very good team.

Thanks to:

1. Montero, for something being as good as advertised
    2. Jorge, for a career we'll all talk about until we pass
    3. Jeet, for never hearing the haters and doing what he does
    4. Mo, cause he's Mo
    5. Granderson, for an electric Season
    6. Cano, maybe the best all around in the game
    7. Freddie and Bartolo for stepping up huge
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Thread Information