+ Reply to Thread

Potential three-way tie for AL wild card

Since it's possible Boston, Tampa Bay and Anaheim could all finish the regular season with identical records I submitted a question to MLB through its website inquiring about what would happen if that occurred. Does anyone have an answer that isn't speculative?

Re: Potential three-way tie for AL wild card

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael View Post
    Since it's possible Boston, Tampa Bay and Anaheim could all finish the regular season with identical records I submitted a question to MLB through its website inquiring about what would happen if that occurred. Does anyone have an answer that isn't speculative?
    From Wikipedia

Three-way tie for the division or wildcard

If the three teams have identical records against each other in the regular season, the office of the commissioner conducts a draw with the teams designated as teams A, B, and C. First, team A plays team B with team A as the home team. The following day, the winner of the that game plays team C with team C as the away team. The winner of the game on the second day advances to the playoffs. The team designations are determined as follows:
    • If the teams do not have identical records against one another, and one team has a best record against both other teams, and another team has a winning record against the final team, the first team shall get the first pick of their team designation, the second team gets the second pick, and the last team is assigned the remaining designation.
    • If one team has a better record against both of the other teams, and the two other teams have the same record against each other, then the first team would get the first pick for team designation, and the other teams would draw lots. The winner of the draw would get the second pick, and the loser of the draw would be assigned the remaining designation.
    • If two teams have the same record against each other, and both have a better record than the last team, then the first two teams draw lots, with the winner choosing their designation first, the loser of the draw picking their designation second and the final team being assigned the remaining designation.
    • If each team has a winning record against one other team in the three team group, and a losing record against the other team in the three team group, the priority for choosing designations shall be chosen based on overall winning percentage within the three team group, any ties in winning percentage within the three team group will be broken by drawing lots.

NYYF HOF

Imagine having to play two games in two days, one on the East coast, one in Anaheim then come back and play two more more in the Bronx.. That would suck, especially if they went into extras.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

NYYF Legend

I heard on the radio this morning that the seedings would be determined by intra-divisional records, in other words, the Sox and Rays AL East records and the AL West records. Based on their records now I would assume the seeds would be 1) Rays, 2) Sox and 3)Angels. So the Angels would play in Boston on Thursday and the winner of that game would host the Rays on Friday. So if the Angels won the three way tie they'd have to fly coast to coast three times in three days before game one of the ALDS.

I think a three way tie w/ the Angels winning would be the best case scenario for the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    I think a three way tie w/ the Angels winning would be the best case scenario for the Yanks.
    It absolutely would be, because that's the only way the Yankees play a team involved in this mini-tournament.

I heard on the radio this morning that the seedings would be determined by intra-divisional records, in other words, the Sox and Rays AL East records and the AL West records. Based on their records now I would assume the seeds would be 1) Rays, 2) Sox and 3)Angels. So the Angels would play in Boston on Thursday and the winner of that game would host the Rays on Friday. So if the Angels won the three way tie they'd have to fly coast to coast three times in three days before game one of the ALDS.

Wait - the playoffs start on Friday, no?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    It absolutely would be, because that's the only way the Yankees play a team involved in this mini-tournament.
    True, but I am not going to be greedy. I'll settle for a one-game playoff between Tampa and LAA of A
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Wait - the playoffs start on Friday, no?
    They're supposed to, but I guess in that case they'd push game 1 of the wild card ALDS to Saturday.

They're supposed to, but I guess in that case they'd push game 1 of the wild card ALDS to Saturday.
    That's such sh*tty planning by Selig & Co.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

And this surprises you?

I'm all for as many teams as possible wearing themselves out before they play NY.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Thanks, Carmenzuli. Good stuff.

Have they flipped all the coins for home field in the event of a 2-way tie?

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    they dont flip coins any more

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Head to head record determines home field now, unless that's a tie too and then they flip a coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    they dont flip coins any more
    Head to head record determines home field now, unless that's a tie too and then they flip a coin.
    Darn. I like coins. They're shiny and stuff.

NYYF Legend

Darn. I like coins. They're shiny and stuff.

I was going to suggest they just flip Pedroia.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I was going to suggest they just flip Pedroia.
    Dwarf tossing is barbaric and has no place in civilized society.

NYYF Triple Crown

Except for the last few years there was only day off between the regular season and postseason. There just hasn't been a three-way tie any time recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Dwarf tossing is barbaric and has no place in civilized society.
    Yeah but how about in Fenway?

Addicted Member

They should just have all three of them play against each other at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Dude View Post
    They should just have all three of them play against each other at the same time.
    I know you're joking, but strangely enough this kind of thing has been done, though only as an exhibition:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...in-early-1970s

Please let this happen, it would could possibly be the most interesting and exciting story in sports this year outside of individual records.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

RAB has a post the other day about what would happen.

If all three teams finish with the same record, they’d go to a three-way playoff. This would affect the playoff schedule as a whole, since there’s only one off-day between the regular season and Game 1 of the ALDS, and they’d need two days to play these games. Here’s how it would break down. On Thursday Boston would host Anaheim in a one-game playoff. The winner would then travel to Tampa to face the Rays to determine the AL Wild Card. That would have to happen on Friday the 30th, though, which is scheduled to be Game 1 of the ALDS.
    Late Add: Commenter Tom O. asked why the three-way playoff would go like this, so I’ll answer up here. The inset part of this article lays out the rules. The schedule is based on head-to-head records. The Rays are the best here, having gone 16-10 against the Sox and Angels. The Sox have gone 12-14 against the other two, while the Angels are 6-10. Hence, Sox vs. Angels, winner vs. Rays.

NYYF Triple Crown

The team that didn't have to play the first tiebreaker game would be on the road in the game they did have to play.

Three-way unlikely now.

Angels blew a three-run lead in the 9th to lose today. Walden gave up a solo HR, a couple singles, then throws what would have been the game-ending DP into CF, followed by a double, an intentional walk and a sac fly.

Maybe the Yankees should get a bye in the first round for lack of interest in the WC.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Thread Information