Closed Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Re: Offseason Prospect Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    He responded to me:

YankeeSource Yankees @

He works anywhere from 93-95. Touched 96-97.
    thats awesome. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    He responded to me:

YankeeSource Yankees @

He works anywhere from 93-95. Touched 96-97.
    A significant velo increase would be necessary for this report to be true. Last year he averaged 93, mostly out of the pen. As a starter he's probably at 92 -- on average, relievers lose .7 mph when they become starters. In other words, based on major league data, he has pretty average velo.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee82093 View Post
    A significant velo increase would be necessary for this report to be true. Last year he averaged 93, mostly out of the pen. As a starter he's probably at 92 -- on average, relievers lose .7 mph when they become starters. In other words, based on major league data, he has pretty average velo.
    Yea, I'll believe it when I see him doing it on MLB radar guns.

Bullpen Banter's top 15 prospects for the Yankees. They each did one. http://www.bullpenbanter.com/index.p...cles&Itemid=11

Seems like Jake Cave is really getting some love so far with the rankings. I can't wait to see how he does in 2012.

NYYF Legend

Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman

Interesting note: #Yankee internally view CF Mason Willams, picked in '10, not play above Rook ball, as being good a prospect as they have

Mason Williams just 20, #Yankees think 5 tools, adaptability, loves game will move fast. Likely to play in Hi-A in FSL next yr.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post

Interesting note: #Yankee internally view CF Mason Willams, picked in '10, not play above Rook ball, as being good a prospect as they have

Mason Williams just 20, #Yankees think 5 tools, adaptability, loves game will move fast. Likely to play in Hi-A in FSL next yr.
    I feel like I have grown wiser with prospect-expectations since imagining a CF-RF all-star tandem of Jackson and Tabata (plus a 1-2-3 punch of Hughes, Joba and Kennedy), but its hard to not be excited about Mason Williams (and Ravel Santana).

NYYF Legend

It always feels so dirty when the really ignorant and stupid guys in the media like Sherman get their grimey hands on the lower level guys for the first time.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    It always feels so dirty when the really ignorant and stupid guys in the media like Sherman get their grimey hands on the lower level guys for the first time.
    I feel the same way but with certain fans. Fans who almost demand that a guy like Montero not get in the way of getting Johan Santana or Zach Grienke, change their minds six months later after they read up on Montero then claim him to be the greatest prospect ever. Then they go around and say they're his number one fan and always believed in him haha.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    I feel the same way but with certain fans. Fans who almost demand that a guy like Montero not get in the way of getting Johan Santana or Zach Grienke, change their minds six months later after they read up on Montero then claim him to be the greatest prospect ever. Then they go around and say they're his number one fan and always believed in him haha.
    This describes most of the ones posting in ITL.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I don't because most minor league players that are even good enough to be labeled a prospect don't live up to their promise anyway...

The first prospect I followed was Phil Hughes and I learned that the hard way...

I used to be one of the prospect snobs who thought I knew more because I followed the system closer then the average Yankee fan...

To be honest people like Sherman probably has a better grasp of Mason Williams then the people here who look at his MILB page and think they know the kid inside and out...

Sherman actually has contacts with scouts and isn't blinded by the man crushes prospect junkies develop on their teams top prospects..

I realized that there is no difference between following closely and keeping yourself honest by just simply looking at stats of certain prospects every week or two weeks...

At the end of the day whether you follow the system closely or not and you are reasonably logical we have the same information available to us on any given prospect...

An it is just one google search away...

Yanks close to signing former Indian prospect Adam Miller to a minor league deal:

#Yankees close to signing 1-time big #Indians prospect Adam Miller to minor lge deal. RHP was derailed by finger issues. Yanks see as rlvr

http://twitter.com/#!/Joelsherman1/s...05821816111104

Nice low-risk signing if it gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    Nice low-risk signing if it gets done.
    I like it, converting him to a RP too. Nice move.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

I like it, converting him to a RP too. Nice move.
    He was a reliever last year. We have plenty of good/interesting/high upside relievers.

Id much rather give him another chance at starting.

Exciting pickup though. Kid has good stuff when he is healthy.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    He was a reliever last year. We have plenty of good/interesting/high upside relievers.

Id much rather give him another chance at starting.

Exciting pickup though. Kid has good stuff when he is healthy.
    We do? Theres just no room for him to start in our system tho. Bullpen options down there are kind of weak imo.

Forum Regular

Got this from Taiwan Baseball Blog :

Cubs minor leaguer RHP Yao-Lin Wang and Yankees farmhand INF/OF Fu-Lin Kuo may have to serve in the military if called upon as their agent misunderstood the rules and had both players drop out of college. Without student status, they will need to serve in the military if called upon. The CTBA and Octagon are pointing fingers at each other over this gaffe.

http://taiwanbaseball.blogspot.com/2...s-updates.html

Taiwan Military service age and obligation info:

http://www.indexmundi.com/taiwan/mil...bligation.html

We do? Theres just no room for him to start in our system tho. Bullpen options down there are kind of weak imo.
    Kontos
    Mitchell(inevitable bullpen pitcher)
    Norton/Duff
    Cabral

I think we will have at least one fast rising reliever next year. (Mark Montgomery)
    Not all of Warren/Phelps/Betances/Banuelos/Stoneburner/Meyers will end up as starters either.

Even if he did have high ceiling upside as a reliever, where could we put him on the roster?

Mo/DRob/Soriano/Joba/Wade/Logan......

Id rather give him a chance to start again, he was a top prospect as a starter.

Kontos isn't anything more than the 7th guy in a BP. Cabral has to stay on the 25 man roster. I like Mitchell. Norton is just as big of an injury risk as Miller is but Miller's stuff is a lot better. No one in the system has the kind of upside Miller would have in the bullpen if he stays healthy. Which theres probably a 95% chance he will not, but its worth a ST invite to see if he can. I was begging them to try Garcia in the bullpen, I think the Nats did and he put up some good numbers. Miller will be like Garcia if he keeps starting. At least in the bullpen he has a little bit better chance to stay healthy.

The triple-a roto will likely be Noesi, Manny, Dellin, Warren and Phelps
    Double-A I recall has some options as well like Stoneburner, Romanski and maybe Marshall. Maybe Heredia?

Forum Regular

Jorge Vazquez is going to Japan as he is nearing a deal with the Rakuten Eagles :
    http://yakyubaka.com/2011/12/09/raku...jorge-vazquez/

Should be interesting to see what he can do in the NPB .

Kontos isn't anything more than the 7th guy in a BP. Cabral has to stay on the 25 man roster. I like Mitchell. Norton is just as big of an injury risk as Miller is but Miller's stuff is a lot better. No one in the system has the kind of upside Miller would have in the bullpen if he stays healthy. Which theres probably a 95% chance he will not, but its worth a ST invite to see if he can. I was begging them to try Garcia in the bullpen, I think the Nats did and he put up some good numbers. Miller will be like Garcia if he keeps starting. At least in the bullpen he has a little bit better chance to stay healthy.

The triple-a roto will likely be Noesi, Manny, Dellin, Warren and Phelps
    Double-A I recall has some options as well like Stoneburner, Romanski and maybe Marshall. Maybe Heredia?
    Ok, what if Miller's upside is a good closer. He won't be pushing the back 4 relievers in the Bronx. Therefore, he would either give us value in the 6th inning or be a trade chip. I don't recall many relief chips in the minors giving much of anything in trades and we don't need any help so far for a 6th inning guy. So he will be of little worth to us in those scenarios. Considering its a one year deal, him being a great reliever in the minors won't help us out. As he will go somewhere next year where he can find ML work. If he shows worth as a starter on the other hand......

All that being said, I actually agree with the majority of what you said. The injury concerns might be reason enough to stick him in the pen. I just think relievers are a dime a dozen (most of them) and I think we can find them pretty much anywhere. Starters on the other hand....not so much.

Kontos
    Mitchell(inevitable bullpen pitcher)
    Norton/Duff
    Cabral

I think we will have at least one fast rising reliever next year. (Mark Montgomery)
    Not all of Warren/Phelps/Betances/Banuelos/Stoneburner/Meyers will end up as starters either.

Even if he did have high ceiling upside as a reliever, where could we put him on the roster?

Mo/DRob/Soriano/Joba/Wade/Logan......

Id rather give him a chance to start again, he was a top prospect as a starter.
    From the reports on his surgically reconstructed middle finger, I doubt it will ever be durable enough to allow him to start again. Sure, miracles do happen, but don't count on it. He is much better suited to be a reliever now.

Ok, what if Miller's upside is a good closer. He won't be pushing the back 4 relievers in the Bronx. Therefore, he would either give us value in the 6th inning or be a trade chip. I don't recall many relief chips in the minors giving much of anything in trades and we don't need any help so far for a 6th inning guy. So he will be of little worth to us in those scenarios. Considering its a one year deal, him being a great reliever in the minors won't help us out. As he will go somewhere next year where he can find ML work. If he shows worth as a starter on the other hand......

All that being said, I actually agree with the majority of what you said. The injury concerns might be reason enough to stick him in the pen. I just think relievers are a dime a dozen (most of them) and I think we can find them pretty much anywhere. Starters on the other hand....not so much.
    Mo is Mo.
    Soriano could get hurt again.
    Joba is a question mark too, he's coming back from TJS.
    If Miller produces he'll be used accordingly.
    If relievers are a dime a dozen then explain farnsworth, karsay, quanntrill, etc. We're good in the SP department, IMO. There's just too many guys he'd have to jump over where as there aren't too many options in the RP area unless you start converting those SP prospects to RPs.

Mo is Mo.
    Soriano could get hurt again.
    Joba is a question mark too, he's coming back from TJS.
    If Miller produces he'll be used accordingly.
    If relievers are a dime a dozen then explain farnsworth, karsay, quanntrill, etc. We're good in the SP department, IMO. There's just too many guys he'd have to jump over where as there aren't too many options in the RP area unless you start converting those SP prospects to RPs.
    You could add Marte and Feliciano to the bad reliever signings list and Soriano was a mistake, but as you know Cash has bucked this trend and has developed good/great bullpens over the past couple of years by not going to those signings. Instead building bullpens through waivers, trades, cheap low risk FAs and the farm. (Wade, Wood/Boone, Ayala, DRob/Joba)

To each his own, most people around here would prefer a legit #2 and Miller's talent suggested he was capable of it. Our bullpen is already strong and deep.

Edit: FWIW- if his finger issues are that bad than I guess there is no choice. But I would have to wonder how good a reliever he could be with such a bad finger.

Who usually does the top prospect voting thing? I was hoping to do that again this year.

Thread Information