+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Allstate, State Farm or Geico for Car Insurance?

I'm getting ready to transfer my car insurance from Florida to NY and I'm trying to decide which insurance company to use. I currently have Allstate (Florida) but the NY premium is more than double what I paid in Florida. State Farm's premium seems to be about the same when I asked for a quote online.

Geico's monthly premium is almost half the price but since I've never used them before (just Allstate and State Farm), I'm feeling a bit cautious. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Geico or would you recommend them? I'm wondering why their premiums are so much cheaper, even for my leased car that requires a higher level of insurance, so I thought I'd ask around.

I have an excellent driving record (no accidents, traffic violations, etc.) and my car is fairly new (2010 Nissan Altima), but the Allstate premium is still pretty high (it went up a lot since I last had NY insurance six years ago).

Does anyone have any opinions on Geico and whether I should stay away from them and stick with Allstate? Thanks.

NYYF Legend

Re: Allstate, State Farm or Geico for Car Insurance?

I have had State Farm for about 25 years and have had good service.

My husband uses Geico and has had very good service as well. He is very happy with it. It is very reasonable and claims get taken care of very quickly.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

WHO THE F CHANGED MY CUT? johnnyyankee's Avatar

I have State Farm. They give discounts for multiple lines of coverage, ie; auto, home owners, umbrella etc. I've found their service to be very good. Before I owned a home I used Geico. But, as I said, once I had a need for other insurances when I considered State Farm premiums as a basket of the three, it made more sense for me to dump Geico and move to SF.
    I'm just a simple guy, I live from day to day.
    A ray of sunshine melts my frown, blows my blues away.

NYYF Legend

I had Allstate for 20 years for my auto policy, but the rates were so high (and that's with a good driving record, no accidents and a discount for having my homeowners with them, too), I had to start shopping around.

Liberty Mutual gave me the best price for the same coverage I had with Allstate, almost half of what I was paying. A friend is an Allstate agent and he told me to get another quote in about 6 months from Allstate. I can't complain about Liberty Mutual, but I haven't had to put in any claims through them, yet. And that's where you find out if your insurance company is worth what you are paying.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Call around and eventually you'll get the best deal that fits your needs. Generally the name brand insurance companies will deliver when you need them, but depending upon your age and specific needs you'll find one company that will be cheaper than the rest...even though that same company may be costlier for the next guy.
    Let the kids play.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I've had Geico for a long time. Always happy with their rates. All-State and State Farm were always more expensive for me.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

I've had GEICO for over 20 years. I've been completely satisfied with them.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to give Geico a chance since it looks like I can get better coverage for a lower premium (although their commercials annoy the heck out of me).

NYYF Legend

You can negotiate with the agents of these companies. Just tell them you have had much lower quotes and they will fing discounts that apply to you that they never would have found otherwise.( safe driver, driver ed grad, college grad, etc)

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

had allstate for 20 plus years ..........allstate $630 geico $360 . i made the switch

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

My husband owns an insurance company. It's pretty hard to compete with the big guns like Geico, Allstate etc.

We've had Allstate for a long time (not sure exactly how long). Their rates may not be the best but I can attest that they take good care of us. My car got broken into and the whole center was completely ripped out, $3500 later Allstate wrote a check for the full cost of repair rather than totalling out my car (my car is currently valued at less than that amount!) My brother has totalled 2 cars and needed repairs done on a third (no fault for all of these, amazingly enough), and they've been very quick to compensate and they give no trouble about covering a rental as well.

Not to turn into Pedro Serrano and start doing Allstate commercials, but I'm pretty satisfied overall.

NYYF Legend

Avoid Nationwide - at least that's been my experience.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Triple Crown

I would just stick with Allstate if it were a small difference, but Allstate quoted me $1,437 for six months for less coverage while Geico quoted me about $770 for six months with much higher coverage.

I've got a perfect driving record (knock on wood), I'm in my 40's (so no penalty for being a young driver), etc. so I thought I'd be offered a better premium. I guess it's higher since I live in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) and they don't offer a discount even though I park in a private and secure garage. I forgot how much more expensive things can be in NY.

Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    You can negotiate with the agents of these companies. Just tell them you have had much lower quotes and they will fing discounts that apply to you that they never would have found otherwise.( safe driver, driver ed grad, college grad, etc)

Andy
    This is true except with any companies that are direct. Like Geico. Geico does not negotiate, I promise you.

However, usually through an agent you are paying more than you would with a direct company.

Depends on how they under-write you and what they take into account. Some companies give you better rates for having a college degree over a HS diploma. Some give you better rates depending on what kind of job you have. (for instance a doctor will get a MUCH better rate than a receptionist).

I don't understand how all these companies can state they save X amount over other companies. None of them know how the others will quote you and what they use to underwrite you as a risk.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

NYYF Legend

Geico all the way. you can do everything you need online, or call a rep. Excellent service at 50% the cost. No brainer

Travelers!!!!!! Have you seen that little dog in those commercials??
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

I switch based on whoever has the funniest commercials. Right now the mayhem ones entertain me the most, so they win the battle. For now.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I switch based on whoever has the funniest commercials. Right now the mayhem ones entertain me the most, so they win the battle. For now.
    My kids just love those.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I have Geico. I had a bad accident in Florida several years ago where I totaled a rent a car and a person two cars up feigned injuries and they backed me 100% , got to them to settle for a minimum and didn't raise my rates .
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    THis is a good answer.

Personally, I have Allstate now but had no problem with GEICO. Really the main reason I switched is the same as johnny et al--I bought a house and it was easier to bundle auto/home/umbrella (and the auto rate was almost identical to GEICO's).

I'll give a recommendation for Amica Mutual. You might want to get a quote from them.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I would just stick with Allstate if it were a small difference, but Allstate quoted me $1,437 for six months for less coverage while Geico quoted me about $770 for six months with much higher coverage.

I've got a perfect driving record (knock on wood), I'm in my 40's (so no penalty for being a young driver), etc. so I thought I'd be offered a better premium. I guess it's higher since I live in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) and they don't offer a discount even though I park in a private and secure garage. I forgot how much more expensive things can be in NY.

Thanks again everyone.
    that's a big difference. That's why I switched away from Allstate. They wanted over $800 for 6 months for my Camaro alone and Liberty mutual quoted me half that for the same coverage. Our other 3 vehicles were much less with LM as well. They also gave us a discount for being members of BJs and for my daughter having higher than a 3.0 average in college.

NYYF Legend

Reading this thread makes me realize I need to shop around. Do you guys use the internet to get quotes or do you call an agent directly?
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    Reading this thread makes me realize I need to shop around. Do you guys use the internet to get quotes or do you call an agent directly?
    Internet and company 800#.

I haven't had an insurance agent in years. And when I did have one, I found it more convenient using the company 800# than waiting for my insurance agency to get back to me.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information