+ Reply to Thread
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

9/11--10th Anniversary thread request

Mods & Admins,

I presume that we can start a non-political thread discussing this event soon, since the actual day is next week Sunday. Correct?

Thanks.

-Brad
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Re: 9/11--10th Anniversary thread request

Fine, but put "non-political" in the title so it's clear to everyone.
    Let the kids play.

Thanks, Bub.

We had the same dilemma a few years ago when the beloved John Paul II passed on. Since there was nothing political about it, I'd also asked way back then to have a similar thread about his expected passing (the request came about a week before his passing).
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I was thinking the same thing, Brad. There's so much going on this year with the site being built and of course, the 10 year anniversary. I'm thinking of doing a 5K for Wells - the bandanna kid. He's been featured on ESPN quite a bit lately and was someone who saved several lives in the South Tower and then ended up dying. They found his body in the South Tower in the lobby. So sad. So tragic.

Thanks, Vicki. I used to do some work in the WTC towers, and right now, I'm doing some work at a place in lower Manhattan near Battery Park, so I take the WTC PATH train home.

Sometimes I wonder where to even start on such a thread. If anyone who's a regular here who lives in the NYC area and has visited and/or worked in lower Manhattan on a semi-regular basis wishes to start the thread, that's fine by me.

I still remember around 9am that day 10 years ago, one of my sweetie nieces calling me on the phone urgently to tell me to tune into CNN, then frantically making sure that I wasn't in the towers themselves. The fear and hysteria in her voice were frightening, and I totally had that "I have no idea what to think" expression on my face the whole day and week.

Then the towers fell ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Thanks, Vicki. I used to do some work in the WTC towers, and right now, I'm doing some work at a place in lower Manhattan near Battery Park, so I take the WTC PATH train home.

Sometimes I wonder where to even start on such a thread. If anyone who's a regular here who lives in the NYC area and has visited and/or worked in lower Manhattan on a semi-regular basis wishes to start the thread, that's fine by me.

I still remember around 9am that day 10 years ago, one of my sweetie nieces calling me on the phone urgently to tell me to tune into CNN, then frantically making sure that I wasn't in the towers themselves. The fear and hysteria in her voice were frightening, and I totally had that "I have no idea what to think" expression on my face the whole day and week.

Then the towers fell ...
    I don't think the thread needs to be started by someone who worked in lower Manhattan Brad. That type of person can always post in the thread and therefore offer their perspective of what happened.

NYYF Legend

Brad - I agree with Vick - you should just start the thread. I'm glad there will be one...

If anyone wants to use one of the old avatars from that time frame -- either the ribbon I have (it's under old style avatars - page 19) or page 21 has the flag at half mast.

Vicki & Jeanne (I'll call you Billy Jeanne the next time around, OK?), the reason I wrote about someone who worked near lower Manhattan is that they should have some direct familiarity with the area. wexy meets that criteria, since he worked or works about 1/2 block from where the towers once stood. I did some temp work at the time in one of the law firms in one of those towers (2 WTC, I think).

It wasn't one of my particular favorite buildings on its own, since I never considered its architectural design anything more than "functional", but after awhile, it's like one of those things you look out of your window at (I'd just moved from Brooklyn Heights to Jersey City in 2001), and gave you a feeling that everything was right, and that this structure was still there. Same with the Empire State Building, Chrysler Center, etc.

The impact of what happened was really very strong. I'll have to put thought into this before starting a thread. Perhaps Thursday or Friday. I don't wish to write a whole bunch of uninspired nothingness right now.

How often did you two make it down to lower Manhattan and the former WTC?

NYYF Legend

I wonder if there is anyway to resurrect the thread from that day, for those who would choose to look back. Before now, I would probably have said, "too soon." I don't even think I posted in it, as I only started posting a few years later. But I definitely remember reading it and being hugely moved.

My computer that day was the tool that restored communication with the family when the phones became useless. ICQ was how my two kids in DC were able to check in with me, and each other, and talk to other family in Brazil. I remember reading that thread as I waited for more news from the ICQ.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

I read this piece this morning. What the writer says is so true: There is the 9/11 that the rest of the nation and the world watched on television and then there is the 9/11 that New Yorkers experienced.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae..._b_951339.html
    To experience 9/11 as New Yorkers did, and still are, it helps to realize there were really two 9/11s. There was a global event, seen live on television everywhere. America was attacked, as will be repeated endlessly Sunday.

But it was New York that suffered the grievous wound. (Many New Yorkers barely recognize the smoldering Pentagon and the wreckage in Shanksville.) The New York experience of 9/11 was very personal, traumatic and individually horrifying. If we did not lose a close friend or family member, we knew someone who did.

New Yorkers plunging from the towers were not icons of a tragedy. Other New Yorkers watched them fall, disbelieving. Then, later, with the acrid smell in their nostrils, the living searched for their own spouses, parents, children.

"The centers of hundreds upon hundreds of webs of family, friends, work had been torn out," Amy Waldman of Brooklyn writes in her new novel, The Submission, as she portrays the myriad ways the destruction of the twin towers shuddered through the fabric of the city.

Whether they found who they were searching for that day or not, everyone was afraid, everyone was touched. For a long time even simple things, like the beautiful fall sky, could trigger the chill of recalling the fear.
    So true.

NYYF Legend

And the 9/11 that people that live in other states experienced (CT, NJ etc). There are several in my town for example that work in Manhattan everyday and some who unfortunately lost their lives that terrible day.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    And the 9/11 that people that live in other states experienced (CT, NJ etc). There are several in my town for example that work in Manhattan everyday and some who unfortunately lost their lives that terrible day.
    Oh, I completely agree with you there.
    When I posted that article that discussed New Yorkers, in my mind anyone living in the immediate tri-state area fits the "New Yorker" bill. (I lived in Bergen Cty., NJ at the time of the attacks.) We all knew individuals who lost their lives in the towers--3 in my case; also my kids had classmates who lost fathers that day. Depending on the direction of the winds, we could smell the jet fuel burning for a long time. All of us from the tri-state have 9/11 stories of life and death, of fears and courage, of ways that our lives were changed that those in the rest of the nation and the rest of the world just cannot begin to comprehend; certainly not on the same level as those who lived and/or worked in downtown Manhattan, but life changing none the less.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    When I posted that article that discussed New Yorkers, in my mind anyone living in the immediate tri-state area fits the "New Yorker" bill. (I lived in Bergen Cty., NJ at the time of the attacks.) We all knew individuals who lost their lives in the towers--3 in my case; also my kids had classmates who lost fathers that day. Depending on the direction of the winds, we could smell the jet fuel burning for a long time. All of us from the tri-state have 9/11 stories of life and death, of fears and courage, of ways that our lives were changed that those in the rest of the nation and the rest of the world just cannot begin to comprehend; certainly not on the same level as those who lived and/or worked in downtown Manhattan, but life changing none the less.
    Yes, so true....and so tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I'd done some overnight work at a law firm in the towers. It had been a few months between when I'd last worked there and when they were attacked, but I'm quite sure that a few people I'd known were lost. I never checked the names, and I mostly knew them by face or first name, as I was an occasional temp worker there.

The janitor had keys upon keys on a wide ring which opened all of the doors. Now they open nothing.

Eldee, you want to start this thread?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Eldee, you want to start this thread?
    This is the first time I've checked in here today and I would have been happy to do so, but I just checked in JC and a thread has already been opened:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...ersary-of-9-11

Perhaps Bub or another Mod would like to add "Non Political Only" to the thread title.

Thread Information