+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jose Quintana

Devoted Member

Jose Quintana

Anyone have a scouting report on Jose Quintana ? I havent seen him pitch, know he's pitching lights out in Tampa 6-0 1.50 ERA

Re: Jose Quintana

Quote Originally Posted by BRONXBOMBERS06 View Post
    Anyone have a scouting report on Jose Quintana ? I havent seen him pitch, know he's pitching lights out in Tampa 6-0 1.50 ERA
    He's a 22 year old lefty from Columbia that has a fastball 90-92 with a very good changeup and good curveball.

NYYF Legend

I think he won the most recent Pitcher of the Week award in the FSL.

Another nice start today

6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    He's a 22 year old lefty from Columbia that has a fastball 90-92 with a very good changeup and good curveball.
    Sorry for nitpicking, but it's ColOmbia, its my heritage and he is officially my fav prospect.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Sorry for nitpicking, but it's ColOmbia, its my heritage and he is officially my fav prospect.
    Let's hope he doesn't flame out in the FSL.

Devoted Member

He's dominating the FSL, I say Trenton next stop.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONXBOMBERS06 View Post
    He's dominating the FSL, I say Trenton next stop.
    He has only five starts in the FSL. His innings total 60 this season while last year his total was around 39 and the year before that 50 innings. He has only started eight games in the last two years. I don't see them pushing him ahead of Stoneburner and some others. I suspect Trenton will be his designation next year. Get his innings this season between 90-100 this year then they can push him to 140 innings next year at Trenton.

NYYF Legend

He has only five starts in the FSL. His innings total 60 this season while last year his total was around 39 and the year before that 50 innings. He has only started eight games in the last two years. I don't see them pushing him ahead of Stoneburner and some others. I suspect Trenton will be his designation next year. Get his innings this season between 90-100 this year then they can push him to 140 innings next year at Trenton.

I agree with the innings issue. He is probably close to his limit for 2011. Maybe 5 more starts, or a few more but with innings limits - 5 innings each start.

Trenton in 2012.

that mini-scouting report sounds a bit Banuelos-like pre velocity jump. What's Quintana's command like?

Pretty excited to see if he can keep dominating the FSL as a starter and what he can do at trenton next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I agree with the innings issue. He is probably close to his limit for 2011. Maybe 5 more starts, or a few more but with innings limits - 5 innings each start.

Trenton in 2012.
    If he's throwing free & easy, the strict innings limit is not only counter-productive & a waste of time, it's a counter-intuitive way to develop a pitcher. At Quintana's age, the human body is designed to develop muscle memory. If he's not struggling through his innings, let him pitch & develop his arms, legs, butt, & the intellectual capacity of learning what it takes to consistently get hitters out. They baby these guys without seemingly factoring in each pitcher's individual tool-set & circumstances. Unless & until someone can statistically prove to me that limiting these guys total innings or pitches significantly reduces arm injuries, I'm going to feel the entire industry is being guided by a theoretical fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    If he's throwing free & easy, the strict innings limit is not only counter-productive & a waste of time, it's a counter-intuitive way to develop a pitcher. At Quintana's age, the human body is designed to develop muscle memory. If he's not struggling through his innings, let him pitch & develop his arms, legs, butt, & the intellectual capacity of learning what it takes to consistently get hitters out. They baby these guys without seemingly factoring in each pitcher's individual tool-set & circumstances. Unless & until someone can statistically prove to me that limiting these guys total innings or pitches significantly reduces arm injuries, I'm going to feel the entire industry is being guided by a theoretical fallacy.
    Perhaps you're right, but that isn't going to change what they do with this prospect as this season finishes up in about six weeks.

5.2ip 7h 1er 1bb 4k

He made the manatees look silly today.

Quote Originally Posted by schitling38 View Post
    He made the manatees look silly today.
    Final Line?
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Final Line?
    You're not able to use MiLB.com's search function?

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp

You're not able to use MiLB.com's search function?

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp
    I am, but I suffer from laziness. Danke.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but we lost Quintana to the White Sox, who I believe signed him to a major league deal. Kind of surprising for a kid who hadn't pitched above high-A. Somewhat of a bummer, I was looking forward to following him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    I didn't see this posted anywhere, but we lost Quintana to the White Sox, who I believe signed him to a major league deal. Kind of surprising for a kid who hadn't pitched above high-A. Somewhat of a bummer, I was looking forward to following him next year.
    Makes no sense. 22-year old lefty who was pitching lights-out? No room for a guy like that?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYKforever View Post
    Makes no sense. 22-year old lefty who was pitching lights-out? No room for a guy like that?
    The Yankees probably offered him a minor league deal, but wouldn't match the Chi Sox major league one. Hard to blame them there, I don't know that he did enough to justify a roster spot at this point. But who knows, He'll probably LOOGy for the Sox and be ridiculously effective while the Yankees continue to pay Feliciano to never throw a pitch for them.

Thread Information