+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF HOF

The Yankees Second half/Postseason push thread

Ok folks, the All Star break is here and the Yankees are 1 game out of the AL East with a bunch of question marks for the second half. I know we have a starting pitcher at the deadline thread but I made this to discuss all moves and all the questions the Yankees face to making a push to October and to a deep postseason run.

Lets start off with the news of AROD, this obviously hurts...a lot. Although AROD wasn't hitting homers he was driving in runs, getting hits, and playing a very good third base. I know people who have had this surgery and it really isn't that big of a deal....Granted they don't have to put their bodies through playing a professional sport but even so I expect AROD to be back within the 4-6 weeks and hope that in that time the Yankees can keep pace in the playoff/divisional race.

The pen/bench has questions...Will Chavez EVER be back??? Will Soriano continue to progress???....and Damaso Marte threw a bullpen?!?!?!?! Remember that guy??? I can see the Yankees trying to land a reliever at the deadline and if they could do that and get Soriano healthy the pen could be deep once again which is a good weapon in postseason play. I'm sure Cash will have something up his sleeve to sure up the bench and try to sure up the pen.

The rotation...pitching wins right??? I am still not sold on Hughes...at all. He didn't look great his first outing, he was up in the zone, wasn't fooling anyone, and couldn't put people away with 2 strikes. I realize it was his first start since being hurt so I'm all for giving him a few starts to get his feet under him...but IMO he is a big question mark moving forward. Will Freddy Garcia continue to throw the ball this well?!?!!? He is probably thing biggest shock along with Colon...I mean who could of guessed?? I just hope these guys have some left in the tank and don't turn into a pumpkin at midnight in the second half....IMO the Yankees are one reliable #2 pitcher from being a championship club...they have the offense....have a pretty good pen as it stands now and they have an absolute ACE in CC....If they could slot someone behind him in a playoff series I wouldn't want to face a healthy Yankee team come October.

So what do you guys think??? A. Pray AROD comes back healthy for the stretch run B. Hope everyone STAYS healthy for the stretch run and C. Try and get that arm to put this team in a position to win a title.

Pretty damn happy with the first half considering all of the questions going into the season...Cashman deserves a lot of credit so far and hopefully they continue to play good ball.

Re: The Yankees Second half/Postseason push thread

Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES View Post
    Ok folks, the All Star break is here and the Yankees are 1 game out of the AL East with a bunch of question marks for the second half. I know we have a starting pitcher at the deadline thread but I made this to discuss all moves and all the questions the Yankees face to making a push to October and to a deep postseason run.

Lets start off with the news of AROD, this obviously hurts...a lot. Although AROD wasn't hitting homers he was driving in runs, getting hits, and playing a very good third base. I know people who have had this surgery and it really isn't that big of a deal....Granted they don't have to put their bodies through playing a professional sport but even so I expect AROD to be back within the 4-6 weeks and hope that in that time the Yankees can keep pace in the playoff/divisional race.

The pen/bench has questions...Will Chavez EVER be back??? Will Soriano continue to progress???....and Damaso Marte threw a bullpen?!?!?!?! Remember that guy??? I can see the Yankees trying to land a reliever at the deadline and if they could do that and get Soriano healthy the pen could be deep once again which is a good weapon in postseason play. I'm sure Cash will have something up his sleeve to sure up the bench and try to sure up the pen.

The rotation...pitching wins right??? I am still not sold on Hughes...at all. He didn't look great his first outing, he was up in the zone, wasn't fooling anyone, and couldn't put people away with 2 strikes. I realize it was his first start since being hurt so I'm all for giving him a few starts to get his feet under him...but IMO he is a big question mark moving forward. Will Freddy Garcia continue to throw the ball this well?!?!!? He is probably thing biggest shock along with Colon...I mean who could of guessed?? I just hope these guys have some left in the tank and don't turn into a pumpkin at midnight in the second half....IMO the Yankees are one reliable #2 pitcher from being a championship club...they have the offense....have a pretty good pen as it stands now and they have an absolute ACE in CC....If they could slot someone behind him in a playoff series I wouldn't want to face a healthy Yankee team come October.

So what do you guys think??? A. Pray AROD comes back healthy for the stretch run B. Hope everyone STAYS healthy for the stretch run and C. Try and get that arm to put this team in a position to win a title.

Pretty damn happy with the first half considering all of the questions going into the season...Cashman deserves a lot of credit so far and hopefully they continue to play good ball.
    I completely agree with this. A very good No. 2 starter could get us where we need to go. The only problem is who is that guy?

I definitely think it has been a plesant suprise so far but I'm still boggeled as to why they picked up Sergio Mitre and send Nova down? I would have put Hughes in the pen (not sure why they thought he is going to do much better from the beginning of the season) and left Nova as a starter.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Yankee View Post
    I definitely think it has been a plesant suprise so far but I'm still boggeled as to why they picked up Sergio Mitre and send Nova down? I would have put Hughes in the pen (not sure why they thought he is going to do much better from the beginning of the season) and left Nova as a starter.
    I understand the Nova move...You aren't going to send Garcia down or to the pen, Nova was the only real movable option at the time.

The Mitre thing blows my mind...BLOWS MY MIND...and the fact he came back and reclaimed his #45 like he meant something to this team in the past pissed me off...Maybe a small pity thing but it pissed me off. Get lost Sergio go away.

Freddy doesnít have to keep pitching this well Ė he just has to be solid/good. Colon, on the other hand, has to pitch as well as he has because the rotation is shaky with AJ and Phil. Iím not sure if Colon can keep it up.

I think Phil may eventually be decent, but I'm expecting nothing from his next start - against the Jays on 12 days rest. It's going to take a lot of work for him to get to being reliable.

We probably need to make a trade, but there is no one that I would trade valuable assets for. If necessary, we might just need to bite the bullet and do some serious hoping and praying

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster View Post
    Freddy doesnít have to keep pitching this well Ė he just has to be solid/good. Colon, on the other hand, has to pitch as well as he has because the rotation is shaky with AJ and Phil. Iím not sure if Colon can keep it up.

I think Phil may eventually be decent, but I'm expecting nothing from his next start - against the Jays on 12 days rest. It's going to take a lot of work for him to get to being reliable.

We probably need to make a trade, but there is no one that I would trade valuable assets for. If necessary, we might just need to bite the bullet and do some serious hoping and praying
    I am hoping that Cash is in stealth mode and that we acquire a good starter who no one was really aware was available. Gio Gonzalez?

Thread Information