+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

Re: Fan Dies After Falling Over Railing

I’m ticked off at AOL. Do I really need to see a picture of that poor fan about to be in mid-fall? That’s just inappropriate knowing what happens. Maybe the barriers should be raised in ballparks – this shouldn’t happen, ever.

Awful............and I have no desire to watch the video

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Yeah there's no reason that video should be available.

This is one of the saddest stories of the year. That poor kid who saw his dad fall to his death at a baseball game. I also feel bad for Josh Hamilton.

NYYF Legend

sad story
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Released Outright

I hope Hamilton gets through this. Just tragic.
    Somehow I think Grandy and Swish may stop throwing balls in to the stands on the 3rd out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JoshUSN View Post
    Somehow I think Grandy and Swish may stop throwing balls in to the stands on the 3rd out.
    I have a feeling MLB might ban it outright.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Yeah there's no reason that video should be available.

This is one of the saddest stories of the year. That poor kid who saw his dad fall to his death at a baseball game. I also feel bad for Josh Hamilton.
    Even after his fall, the father's only concern was for his son, asking that somebody please take care of him. It was amazing that he was still conscious at that point. A few of the Rangers who were interviewed after the game broke down. I can't even imagine what Josh Hamilton is going through right now.

I think this is the 2nd time a fan has fallen from the stands at this stadium. The railings that I've at seen at ballparks only come up to about your waist. It's high enough for a little kid to walk under it. If you raise the railing, it might stop an adult from falling, but then there's even more of a chance of a child going undernearth it. Unless they put some kind of screen or mesh between the top of the railing and the floor of the stands, it won't do any good to raise the height.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I heard about this on the radio this AM. Awful!!!

I feel terrible for the man's family and his little boy who had to see the whole thing. Also, poor Josh Hamilton, ugh.

I refuse to watch the vid. Not necessary. Awful story.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Even after his fall, the father's only concern was for his son, asking that somebody please take care of him. It was amazing that he was still conscious at that point. A few of the Rangers who were interviewed after the game broke down. I can't even imagine what Josh Hamilton is going through right now.

I think this is the 2nd time a fan has fallen from the stands at this stadium. The railings that I've at seen at ballparks only come up to about your waist. It's high enough for a little kid to walk under it. If you raise the railing, it might stop an adult from falling, but then there's even more of a chance of a child going undernearth it. Unless they put some kind of screen or mesh between the top of the railing and the floor of the stands, it won't do any good to raise the height.
    The railings are designed for people sitting; they are higher at the bottom of the aisle. If the railings are made higher (and solid so kids can't fall thru), then people sitting in the front row would see nothing. Of course you could just add a very high piece of Plexiglass . . . but most patrons of the front row don't want to be enclosed . . . so like most things, it's balancing conflicting wants/needs.

NYYF Cy Young

THey shouldn't ban players from throwing balls to us, that would be dumb. Just put a net or something.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

This is just a tragic, unfortunate accident and hopefully it won't prompt the teams or idiot Selig to implement some heavy handed, unnecessary regulations - but we all know it will.
    Yep. Hooray for the nanny state... who wants to bet the family sues the Rangers and wins a huge settlement? There's every reason to feel awful for the family, the kid, and Hamilton... but let's also include the Rangers. This was not the result of negligence, just a very bad accident.

What annoys me is that people are holding this guy up to be some heroic father because he wanted to get the kid a ball. As if that's great parenting. Here's how I define good parenting: NOT LEANING OVER A RAILING AND FALLING TO YOUR DEATH IN FRONT OF YOUR SON.

Insensitive, yes. But am I wrong?

(Am I wrong? AM I WRONG? No Walter...)
    Stop Bunting.

NYYF Cy Young

The video isn't even bad and you wouldn't think twice about watching it if you didn't know what happened, it's not like they show a dead body on there, they just show him fall for like 2 seconds.

Obviously this is horrible, and it seems like it's just a matter of him landing the wrong way unfortunately. I remember someone fell last year (I think at a Rangers game also) from one tier to another and was fine. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Yep. Hooray for the nanny state... who wants to bet the family sues the Rangers and wins a huge settlement? There's every reason to feel awful for the family, the kid, and Hamilton... but let's also include the Rangers. This was not the result of negligence, just a very bad accident.

What annoys me is that people are holding this guy up to be some heroic father because he wanted to get the kid a ball. As if that's great parenting. Here's how I define good parenting: NOT LEANING OVER A RAILING AND FALLING TO YOUR DEATH IN FRONT OF YOUR SON.

Insensitive, yes. But am I wrong?

(Am I wrong? AM I WRONG? No Walter...)
    While I do agree with you about it being a terrible accident and think a lawsuit is possible. I hope that doesn't happen though. Accidents happen and this is one of those situations, by suing it just puts the kid in line for more pain, afterall he'll have to testify, and it also says accidents don't happen somebody is always negligent.

That being said you calling him a bad parent is a little over the line. You said it was an accident but then blame him. It was a tragic accident, not anyones fault, lets leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post

What annoys me is that people are holding this guy up to be some heroic father because he wanted to get the kid a ball. As if that's great parenting.
    Who's doing this?

e: some random article I haven't read yet, apparently.

Here's how I define good parenting: NOT LEANING OVER A RAILING AND FALLING TO YOUR DEATH IN FRONT OF YOUR SON.
    How about running into a burning building in order to save an old lady? Worst. Parent. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster View Post
    I’m ticked off at AOL. Do I really need to see a picture of that poor fan about to be in mid-fall? That’s just inappropriate knowing what happens. Maybe the barriers should be raised in ballparks – this shouldn’t happen, ever.

Awful............and I have no desire to watch the video
    while I do understand you don't see any gore and you only hear the reaction of the crowd no crunches or cracks, we aren't talking Clint Malarchuk. But you are right, it is awful, and very sad. Nothing but losers in this situation all around, dad, his kid, and Hamilton. Lets hope the screams of his son don't haunt him and cause a relapse. Let's hope Cooper can recover from that, if that is possible. And RIP Shannon Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypuck2008 View Post
    while I do understand you don't see any gore and you only hear the reaction of the crowd no crunches or cracks, we aren't talking Clint Malarchuk. But you are right, it is awful, and very sad. Nothing but losers in this situation all around, dad, his kid, and Hamilton. Lets hope the screams of his son don't haunt him and cause a relapse. Let's hope Cooper can recover from that, if that is possible. And RIP Shannon Stone.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I'm only speaking for myself. I do not want to see a pic or any part of a video, knowing what happens. It's creepy and eerie - the whole situation makes me sick to my stomach.

The Rangers did set up a fund:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers

Also, here's something worth reading....... from the same sight

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas...ns-and-fathers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster View Post
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I'm only speaking for myself. I do not want to see a pic or any part of a video, knowing what happens. It's creepy and eerie - the whole situation makes me sick to my stomach.

I can respect that. Do you know what happened Clint Malarchuk? If you have a quesy stomach don't youtube him. If you don't, take a gander. Know this though, Clint Malarchuk lived.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypuck2008 View Post
    I can respect that. Do you know what happened Clint Malarchuk? If you have a quesy stomach don't youtube him. If you don't, take a gander. Know this though, Clint Malarchuk lived.
    I have a very, very queasy stomach - just thinking about blood, etc...gives me shivers. He was a hockey player, so I take it he got hit with a puck or was slashed with a blade or something?

About the video, for me personally, besides it being eerie, just feels wrong - there's nothing for me to want to watch.

That poor kid - life is really unfair sometimes.

Thread Information