+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Fan Dies After Falling Over Railing

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster View Post
    It's a video of a man about to fall to his death - it's bad (well I assume it is; even looking at a photo of it (thanks again, AOL) made me sick.
    If you don't want to watch it don't click it.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Even after his fall, the father's only concern was for his son, asking that somebody please take care of him. It was amazing that he was still conscious at that point. A few of the Rangers who were interviewed after the game broke down. I can't even imagine what Josh Hamilton is going through right now.

I think this is the 2nd time a fan has fallen from the stands at this stadium. The railings that I've at seen at ballparks only come up to about your waist. It's high enough for a little kid to walk under it. If you raise the railing, it might stop an adult from falling, but then there's even more of a chance of a child going undernearth it. Unless they put some kind of screen or mesh between the top of the railing and the floor of the stands, it won't do any good to raise the height.
    The railings are designed for people sitting; they are higher at the bottom of the aisle. If the railings are made higher (and solid so kids can't fall thru), then people sitting in the front row would see nothing. Of course you could just add a very high piece of Plexiglass . . . but most patrons of the front row don't want to be enclosed . . . so like most things, it's balancing conflicting wants/needs.

NYYF Cy Young

THey shouldn't ban players from throwing balls to us, that would be dumb. Just put a net or something.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

I feel bad for the family.

I saw the video on Youtube. I don't want to see it again.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    THey shouldn't ban players from throwing balls to us, that would be dumb. Just put a net or something.
    You're still going to have HRs and foul balls, so it's not like you can completely remove the risk
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    or dont lean over the edge, just like everywhere else

I'd lean over the edge to have a slim chance at catching a ball thrown by Mariano. It's human instinct. What are you gonna do? stand there and not make an effort?

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    It just goes to show you the order of priorities in the media. They will cut away from some idiot who runs onto the field in the middle of a game, but they will let you view someone falling to his death.
    They cut away from streakers to deter that type of behavior. Showing a guy falling over the railing isn't going to encourage more people to do the same. In fact, the provocative nature of the video may be more effective in preventing similar incidents than a simple headline would be.

It's a sad situation, but I don't think there's any reason to attack the media.

NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

I posted this in Interesting Baseball News thread last night. Yes, it is very very sad. The whole situation of the son being there to witness it. And, the father was trying to get the ball for his son, no doubt. His first concern was for his son up there in the stands alone and then he didn't make it. How can his son enjoy baseball ever again? Heartbreaking is an understatement.

I agree that they should not have shown it. I saw it on last night's news and it is sad to watch knowing the outcome. The guy next to him tried to grab him but, sadly, couldn't get a good grip.

The saddest irony is that he did catch the ball before falling to his death.

28 in '12

Devoted Member

Tragic story. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, especially his son.

Released Outright

One of the headlines from the evening edition of the NY Post:

Mother of man who fell at Rangers game says he had hopes of catching a ball

ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Suzann Stone told The Associated Press on Friday that Shannon Stone and young Cooper Stone had even stopped on the way to Arlington, Texas, on Thursday to buy the boy a new glove.
    Reigning AL MVP Josh Hamilton, Cooper’s favorite player, grabbed a foul ball that ricocheted into left field and tossed it into the stands.
    The accident in Texas occurred in the second inning after Oakland's Conor Jackson hit a foul ball. Hamilton retrieved the ball and tossed it into the stands.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...970HuMkLKvVPlI
    The AP is also running the video of the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Video's not even that bad. It only shows the part of him falling down and you can't see the rest of it.

Very sad indeed. Poor kid.
    Out of context it's not so bad but knowing what happened (and watching the kid's reaction....ugh...) it's brutal.

Devastating. I feel so bad for that kid.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by cliftonite View Post
    I only watched the vid to get a look at whether I though the railing itself was at some unsafe level - and it isn't.

This is just a tragic, unfortunate accident and hopefully it won't prompt the teams or idiot Selig to implement some heavy handed, unnecessary regulations - but we all know it will.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

This is just a tragic, unfortunate accident and hopefully it won't prompt the teams or idiot Selig to implement some heavy handed, unnecessary regulations - but we all know it will.
    Yep. Hooray for the nanny state... who wants to bet the family sues the Rangers and wins a huge settlement? There's every reason to feel awful for the family, the kid, and Hamilton... but let's also include the Rangers. This was not the result of negligence, just a very bad accident.

What annoys me is that people are holding this guy up to be some heroic father because he wanted to get the kid a ball. As if that's great parenting. Here's how I define good parenting: NOT LEANING OVER A RAILING AND FALLING TO YOUR DEATH IN FRONT OF YOUR SON.

Insensitive, yes. But am I wrong?

(Am I wrong? AM I WRONG? No Walter...)
    Stop Bunting.

NYYF Cy Young

The video isn't even bad and you wouldn't think twice about watching it if you didn't know what happened, it's not like they show a dead body on there, they just show him fall for like 2 seconds.

Obviously this is horrible, and it seems like it's just a matter of him landing the wrong way unfortunately. I remember someone fell last year (I think at a Rangers game also) from one tier to another and was fine. RIP

I’m ticked off at AOL. Do I really need to see a picture of that poor fan about to be in mid-fall? That’s just inappropriate knowing what happens. Maybe the barriers should be raised in ballparks – this shouldn’t happen, ever.

Awful............and I have no desire to watch the video
    while I do understand you don't see any gore and you only hear the reaction of the crowd no crunches or cracks, we aren't talking Clint Malarchuk. But you are right, it is awful, and very sad. Nothing but losers in this situation all around, dad, his kid, and Hamilton. Lets hope the screams of his son don't haunt him and cause a relapse. Let's hope Cooper can recover from that, if that is possible. And RIP Shannon Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Yep. Hooray for the nanny state... who wants to bet the family sues the Rangers and wins a huge settlement? There's every reason to feel awful for the family, the kid, and Hamilton... but let's also include the Rangers. This was not the result of negligence, just a very bad accident.

What annoys me is that people are holding this guy up to be some heroic father because he wanted to get the kid a ball. As if that's great parenting. Here's how I define good parenting: NOT LEANING OVER A RAILING AND FALLING TO YOUR DEATH IN FRONT OF YOUR SON.

Insensitive, yes. But am I wrong?

(Am I wrong? AM I WRONG? No Walter...)
    While I do agree with you about it being a terrible accident and think a lawsuit is possible. I hope that doesn't happen though. Accidents happen and this is one of those situations, by suing it just puts the kid in line for more pain, afterall he'll have to testify, and it also says accidents don't happen somebody is always negligent.

That being said you calling him a bad parent is a little over the line. You said it was an accident but then blame him. It was a tragic accident, not anyones fault, lets leave it at that.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypuck2008 View Post
    While I do agree with you about it being a terrible accident and think a lawsuit is possible. I hope that doesn't happen though. Accidents happen and this is one of those situations, by suing it just puts the kid in line for more pain, afterall he'll have to testify, and it also says accidents don't happen somebody is always negligent.

That being said you calling him a bad parent is a little over the line. You said it was an accident but then blame him. It was a tragic accident, not anyones fault, lets leave it at that.
    Pretty much agree with all this. Hopefully, the Rangers find a way to have some kind of donation night or something to raise some money for the family. It's a horrible incident, certainly, but I agree that judging anyone's parenthood because of it is a bit much. It was pretty heartbreaking that the guy's last thoughts were about someone watching out for his son.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

A lot over the line. The poor guy was just trying to catch a ball, something everyone has tried to do at one time or another. Even if he was at fault (and I'm not blaming him), the man died and left a young son and wife behind - I'd say he paid sufficient price.

while I do understand you don't see any gore and you only hear the reaction of the crowd no crunches or cracks, we aren't talking Clint Malarchuk. But you are right, it is awful, and very sad. Nothing but losers in this situation all around, dad, his kid, and Hamilton. Lets hope the screams of his son don't haunt him and cause a relapse. Let's hope Cooper can recover from that, if that is possible. And RIP Shannon Stone.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I'm only speaking for myself. I do not want to see a pic or any part of a video, knowing what happens. It's creepy and eerie - the whole situation makes me sick to my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by cliftonite View Post
    that's my plan
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Pretty much agree with all this. Hopefully, the Rangers find a way to have some kind of donation night or something to raise some money for the family. It's a horrible incident, certainly, but I agree that judging anyone's parenthood because of it is a bit much. It was pretty heartbreaking that the guy's last thoughts were about someone watching out for his son.
    Yeah this whole story is heartbreaking. I can't help but feel horrible and I wasn't even there. I am sure the Rangers will do something, Nolan Ryan isn't going to leave Hamilton out there alone.

The Rangers did set up a fund:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers

Also, here's something worth reading....... from the same sight

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas...ns-and-fathers

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I'm only speaking for myself. I do not want to see a pic or any part of a video, knowing what happens. It's creepy and eerie - the whole situation makes me sick to my stomach.

I can respect that. Do you know what happened Clint Malarchuk? If you have a quesy stomach don't youtube him. If you don't, take a gander. Know this though, Clint Malarchuk lived.

I can respect that. Do you know what happened Clint Malarchuk? If you have a quesy stomach don't youtube him. If you don't, take a gander. Know this though, Clint Malarchuk lived.
    I have a very, very queasy stomach - just thinking about blood, etc...gives me shivers. He was a hockey player, so I take it he got hit with a puck or was slashed with a blade or something?

About the video, for me personally, besides it being eerie, just feels wrong - there's nothing for me to want to watch.

That poor kid - life is really unfair sometimes.

Thread Information