+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Visiting Other Ballparks

We're driving down from CT Thurs and attending the Friday night and Saturday games, driving back Sunday.

This Metro map is on their website:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...etromap_08.pdf

Great tool to help you find a hotel close to a Metro station.
    The ballpark is at the Navy Yard stop on the green line.

We're staying at a hotel in the Old Town/Duke Street area of Alexandria to be in a nice quiet (and less expensive) area but still be only steps away from a Metro stop which will take you right to the ballpark and any other DC sites you want to see. Looking very forward to the trip.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I
    The only place you might want to use your car for is Arlington Cemetery...although if you really dont want to do that, there's probably a bus tour you can book that will you drive you there and stop at all the key points i.e JFK's grave, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier etc.
    Forget the car to Arlington Cemetery. There is a stop on the Metro Blue Line and there are tram tours that will take you around the cemetery itself.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

I wasn't able to get anything for Fri night 6/17 so I am looking for 2 IF seats if anyone is selling extras? TIA.
    A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz. - Humphrey Bogart

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    We're driving down from CT Thurs and attending the Friday night and Saturday games, driving back Sunday.

This Metro map is on their website:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...etromap_08.pdf

Great tool to help you find a hotel close to a Metro station.
    The ballpark is at the Navy Yard stop on the green line.

We're staying at a hotel in the Old Town/Duke Street area of Alexandria to be in a nice quiet (and less expensive) area but still be only steps away from a Metro stop which will take you right to the ballpark and any other DC sites you want to see. Looking very forward to the trip.
    Are you staying at the Embassy Suites? Just wondering because thats where we're staying at...and I know its in Old Town, right near Duke St. and there is the King St. Metro station literally right across the street. Sounds like it might be the same hotel. I work for Hilton so I get a pretty sweet employee discount....3 nights at $39/night

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Forget the car to Arlington Cemetery. There is a stop on the Metro Blue Line and there are tram tours that will take you around the cemetery itself.
    Thanks for that info. I'll have to look into the tram tours as that def would be easier. I assume the tours leave from the visitor center?

I assume the tours leave from the visitor center?
    That is correct.

NYYF Triple Crown

Are you staying at the Embassy Suites? Just wondering because thats where we're staying at...and I know its in Old Town, right near Duke St. and there is the King St. Metro station literally right across the street.
    No, Residence Inn on Duke St.
    My wife had Marriott points that we decided to redeem so it's pretty cheap overall for us too.

Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar

Thinking of getting tickets to the Yanks/Orioles game on April 10th at Camden Yards. I would like to be close to the field, so I was thinking of sitting behind the Yankees dugout. However, nearly all of the tix are sold and the ones I have seen on Stubhub are higher than I would like to pay. Is Stubhub my only option? Any info great appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown Bomber View Post
    Is Stubhub my only option?
    Check out FanSnap:

http://www.fansnap.com/baltimore-ori...10-2012-714067

Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Thanks.

I'm going to the May 3rd Yanks-Royals game. Any advice on places to eat in/around the stadium and anything else worth checking out?

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomber403 View Post
    I'm going to the May 3rd Yanks-Royals game. Any advice on places to eat in/around the stadium and anything else worth checking out?
    A must in Kansas City is a visit to the "twin" museums, the Negro Leagues Hall of Fame and the Jazz Museum. The two are in the same building, or adjoining buildings, and you can get a single-admission ticket.

NYYF Legend

We're planning a trip up to Seattle and want to incoporate a Yankee game.

Any tips for places to stay in seattle area? Places to avoid?

Do we need to pre-buy tickets for the game or can we get them on game day? Is Stubhub a better option closer to game day?

Good sections to sit? Sections to avoid.

Any other suggestions for thing to do in Seattle welcome as we'er planning a week up there.

Thanks in advance!
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Any tips ...
    We went there for NYY-SEA in 2010.

We stayed at the Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square
    http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...ioneer-square/

It was very nice and and an easy walk to the ballpark. I honestly don't remember the room cost since we used some Marriott points to pay a chunk of it. But I'm sure it was reasonable. There was also a nice Seattle's Best coffee shop right on the opposite corner which was important to my wife. You can also pick up a good breakfast sandwich on the go there, we did this almost every morning there. It's a very nice location with quite a bit within walking distance. I'm glad we stayed there.
    We got our tickets direct from ticket master online in April for June games. I did not want to go out there without tickets. Even with the chance of possibly getting better tickets last minute, I just don't like doing that. That's just me, you'll have to make your own judgement call there. I believe they have started doing dynamic pricing at Safeco since we've been there so not sure how that will affect prices down the road.
    We stayed out there for the week after the games and made a vacation out of it. We toured the Boeing Plant, drove to Mount Ranier, did the other touristy stuff like Pike Place Market (very busy and touristy but cool to experience if you have the time one day.) We took the ferry over to Bainbridge Island one day, that was nice.
    Getting back to the game, we went to the Sat night game and Sunday day game. We decided to do a "save and splurge." Saturday night we sat in view box 334. Pretty "up there" but still nice seats, just off to the third base side of behind home plate. Good view of everything, I liked them. For Sunday we splurged for All-Star Club seats, pricey seats on the suite level. Without spending too much time here (since I'm on a work break right now) it's something along the lines of the Audi Club at Yankee Stadium where the food and non-booze drinks are all inclusive. The food choices are very upscale (carving stations and wonderful buffets, etc.) all the way down to hot dogs and popcorn. Unlike the Audi Club though, you go out glass doors and your seats are outside. I kind of like this because you feel more like a part of the game than being indoors watching the game. You have table space in front of your seat to put all your stuff, also nice.
    I have to get going now but hope this helps you at least with some of the basics. I can tell you more when I have more time. Let me know if I can help with any more questions. Seattle is really a wonderful place, we had a great week there. I hope you can spend some extra days taking in the area.

I was out there in '09. We stayed at the Westin downtown which is an easy walk from a lot of stuff but a bit far to the stadium. We took the light rail that runs between downtown and the airport or there are also buses that will take you to the stadium. The Westin is about a block from the endpoint of the monorail which will take you to the Space Needle and the EMP Museum.

We also took a tour of the Boeing plant which was well worth it. We also took a dinner cruise on Puget Sound, a seaplane tour of the city and surrounding area (there are several companies that offer those) and visited the Museum of Flight which is quite good too. I could also recommend taking the tour of the Seattle Underground.

If you like donuts, try Top Pot Doughnuts (also a short walk from the Westin).

NYYF Legend

We are going to Houston for the Dodgers/Astros game on 4/22 - my wife grew up a Dodger fan. Then we are heading up to Arlington on Monday morning for the Yankees/Rangers opener on 4/23.

We are staying at the Inn at the Ballpark in Houston, and the Sheraton Arlington.

It's our first trip to Houston and we've been to Arlington before, but this is the first time at the Sheraton. Anybody have any personal experiences from these places?
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

ram man & stingray, thanks good suggestions. I like the underground idea but with 3 kids age 7-16, that's probably not gonna fly though we will be in Seattle for a week.

CYF, I've only been to fort worth once. The park at arlington was nice but you probably know that having been there. can't comment on your accomodations but if you have a chance and haven't been to it the Dallas Rainforest Aquarium is an experience not to be missed if you have some time.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Triple Crown

thanks good suggestions.
    I forgot to mention, we also did the Underground Tour. I thought it was pretty good and informative, I think the kids might be bored with it, though. We also went to the Museum of Flight and I'd be willing to bet the kids would really like that. There were a lot of kids having a great time there when we went. Fascinating for adults as well. I enjoyed it there.

We also took the tour of Safeco Field, which was cool. The Sunday game we went to was the last game before the All-Star break, so there were no games there the following several days. I think we went the very next Monday morning. It's a really nice tour that the whole family would probably like. (I found it a little humorous how much they still live and dwell in the moment of 1995 ALDS game 5 even now, but it is admittedly the moment that probably got Safeco built. You'll see what I mean if you take the tour.) We also got these tickets in advance but you may be able to get them there too.

As far as the restaurants out there, I just can't say enough about how wonderful they were. If you like seafood, most notably salmon, there are so many great places to go to where you will get the best you ever had. There's also a Capital Grille a short walk from our hotel that is rumored to sometimes host some Yankee players but we went there after they had long since left town (actually the night of the All Star Game) Most people know how nice it is in there so I won't elaborate, they are also known for being rather pricey (which they were) so with a crew of five of you it may be an expensive proposition. There are many other restaurants around there much more reasonably priced with great food. I don't think I had a bad meal anywhere out there no matter how much we spent.

NYYF Legend

ram man & stingray, thanks good suggestions. I like the underground idea but with 3 kids age 7-16, that's probably not gonna fly though we will be in Seattle for a week.

CYF, I've only been to fort worth once. The park at arlington was nice but you probably know that having been there. can't comment on your accomodations but if you have a chance and haven't been to it the Dallas Rainforest Aquarium is an experience not to be missed if you have some time.
    Thanks! Our plans for Tuesday are flexible depending on my work schedule. Tuesday will either be a travel day back "home", or we'll be looking for something to do prior to the game.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Triple Crown

CYF - take good notes on Houston since I've never been there but plan on hopefully doing a NYY-HOU trip there in the near future. I may be picking your brain for a review one day.

I think it's 21 ballparks and counting for me, but Houston has so far eluded me. With their move to the AL coming, I am hopeful at a NYY-HOU road trip soon.

NYYF Legend

CYF - take good notes on Houston since I've never been there but plan on hopefully doing a NYY-HOU trip there in the near future. I may be picking your brain for a review one day.

I think it's 21 ballparks and counting for me, but Houston has so far eluded me. With their move to the AL coming, I am hopeful at a NYY-HOU road trip soon.
    Consider it done!

Keep in mind my "review" will be with the perspective of a "weekend getaway" with my wife.

I've been in the area of the park before. In 2009, we stayed at a Holiday Inn near the Toyota Center when Springsteen played there; it's a little over a mile walk from Minute Maid. For this trip we went a little more upscale with the Inn at the Ballpark. It's right across the street from the park, and it's all downtown. I'll let you know what I find out.

NYYF Cy Young

Go to the Space Needle. Plus there are cool interactive museums there.

I think it's 21 ballparks and counting for me, but Houston has so far eluded me.
    I'm up to 45 major league ballparks and I would put Minute Maid in the top two or three. It is "interesting" architecturally inside and out, it is very fan friendly in terms of wide concourses, excellent sight lines, etc. and they have an extremely wide selection of food/drink, etc. There really isn't anything I don't like about it. I'm not, in general, a fan of domed/enclosed stadiums, but in Houston, when the roof is closed, it is closed for a good reason and as a fan, when you're sitting there with the roof closed, you're glad it is. I've also been there when the roof is open and that makes it even better.

Here's my ballpark history:

Royals Stadium, Kansas City, MO - 1976
    Arlington Stadium, Arlington, TX - 1984
    Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta, GA - 1985
    Exhibition Stadium, Toronto, ON - 1986
    Yankee Stadium (1923), New York, NY - 1987
    Shea Stadium, New York, NY - 1987
    Candlestick Park, San Francisco, CA - 1988
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, Oakland, CA - 1988
    Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati, OH - 1989
    Fenway Park, Boston, MA - 1989
    Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, Minneapolis, MN - 1989
    Comiskey Park, Chicago, IL - 1990
    Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL - 1990
    County Stadium, Milwaukee, WI -1990
    Astrodome, Houston, TX - 1990
    Memorial Stadium, Baltimore, MD - 1991
    Cleveland Municipal Stadium, Cleveland, OH - 1992
    Kingdome, Seattle, WA - 1993
    Mile High Stadium, Denver, CO - 1993
    Jack Murphy Stadium, San Diego, CA - 1994
    Olympic Stadium, Montreal, QC - 1995
    Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, CA - 1996
    Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, CA - 1996
    Skydome, Toronto, ON - 1997
    Tiger Stadium, Detroit, MI - 1997
    Coors Field, Denver, CO - 1997
    Jacobs Field, Cleveland, OH - 1998
    Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA - 1998
    Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL - 1999
    Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA - 2000
    Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore, MD - 2000
    Enron Field, Houston, TX - 2000
    Pro Player Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL - 2001
    Ballpark in Arlington, Arlington, TX - 2002
    Great American Ballpark, Cincinnati, OH - 2003
    Hiram Bithorn Stadium, San Juan, PR - 2003
    Busch Stadium (II), St. Louis, MO - 2005
    RFK Stadium, Washington, DC - 2006
    Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, PA - 2006
    PETCO Park, San Diego, CA - 2007
    Yankee Stadium (2009), New York, NY - 2009
    Citi Field, New York, NY - 2009
    Safeco Field, Seattle, WA - 2009
    Turner Field, Atlanta, GA - 2010
    45. Miller Park, Milwaukee, WI - 2011

Major league ballparks awaiting: 9.

AT & T Park, San Francisco, CA
    Busch Stadium (III), St. Louis, MO
    Chase Field, Phoenix, AZ
    Comerica Park, Detroit, MI
    Nationals Park, Washington, DC
    Marlins Park, Miami, FL
    PNC Park, Pittsburgh, PA
    Target Field, Minneapolis, MN
    US Cellular Field, Chicago, IL

Any tips for places to stay in seattle area? Places to avoid?

Do we need to pre-buy tickets for the game or can we get them on game day? Is Stubhub a better option closer to game day?

Good sections to sit? Sections to avoid.

Any other suggestions for thing to do in Seattle welcome as we'er planning a week up there.

Thanks in advance!
    I am a New Yorker who moved to Seattle a couple of years ago. Safeco is a great ballpark. I'm actually heading out now, but will reply with some suggestions that go beyond the usual tourist stuff as well as a few good food suggestions later today.
    Bombers Blast:
    www.throughthefencebaseball.com/

Thread Information