+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Triple Crown

Trade Proposal That Solves Two Problems

The Pittsburgh Pirates are in bad shape at the catcher's spot: Ryan Doumit and Chris Snyder are both injured.

I got to looking at their roster, and noticed a lefty reliever, Tony Watson. No ML experience, but here's his minor league stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=watson001ant

He's a big guy (6'4", 220lbs) and has pretty good WHIP, SO/9 and SO/BB ratios.

How about Francisco Cervelli to the Pirates for Watson, then call up Montero to be the backup? Release Amauri Sanit to free up a roster spot.
    If Montero really kills the team defensively, then stick Posada back there and (as a backup) and see if it wakes up his bat. The two of them should be able to handle the backup spot behind Martin, and the Yanks get a second lefty with potential, without giving up much.

What do you think?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Re: Trade Proposal That Solves Two Problems

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    The Pittsburgh Pirates are in bad shape at the catcher's spot: Ryan Doumit and and Chris Snyder are both injured.

I got to looking at their roster, and noticed a lefty reliever, Tony Watson. No ML experience, but here's his minor league stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=watson001ant

He's a big guy (6'4", 220lbs) and has pretty good WHIP, SO/9 and SO/BB ratios.

How about Francisco Cervelli to the Pirates for Watson, then call up Montero to be the backup? Release Amauri Sanit to free up a roster spot.
    If Montero really kills the team defensively, then stick Posada back there and (as a backup) and see if it wakes up his bat. The two of them should be able to handle the backup spot behind Martin, and the Yanks get a second lefty with potential, without giving up much.

What do you think?
    Anything that gets Cervelli off this team is a plus IMO.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

NYYF Legend

There have to be 50 players like Watson (stat-wise) across the high minor leagues- are you basing this just on his stats, or do you know something about his stuff? unless he's actually useful as a starter, i dont really see what makes him remarkable or that valuable, even though we need bullpen arms (not that i really care what happens with cervelli)

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

They've made it clear that Posada is not an option at C. And Montero will not be called up to serve as a backup. Consequently, Cervelli, like it or not, is important to this team right now.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Montero for Papelbon, Aceves and Lars Anderson.
    Solves everyones problems.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    do you know something about his stuff?
    From what I've read, he throws a fastball in the low 90's, has an excellent changeup, has always been tough on lefties, and has been better as a reliever than as a starter. Here's some good info on Tony Watson:

http://users.rcn.com/wtmiller/positions/lhp/awatson.htm

"2010:....made successful move to bullpen. In 25 relief outings, had ERA of 1.84, with measly 0.80 WHIP and K/9 of 1.04....was nearly unhittable against LH batters, who batted only .131 against him in 2010....Watson has always been extremely tough on lefties....his best path to the majors is in the bullpen."

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    They've made it clear that Posada is not an option at C.
    Posada would be third-string, and for insurance purposes only, like he is now. I can't imagine Montero being any worse, defensively, than Cervelli is, so IMO it's kind of a moot point. Montero should be able to handle backing up Martin twice a week without hurting the team defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    And Montero will not be called up to serve as a backup.
    This is just your opinion. IMO, he's not ready to start every day in the majors, but yet he can still contribute offensively, better than Cervelli can. If he got two starts a week @ C and two starts a week as a DH (in place of Posada), that's four games a week -- enough playing time to adjust to ML pitching without placing too much pressure on him to produce. 4 games a week for the rest of the season equates to about 60 games/225 ABs, which is about all he will get @ AAA anyway, considering the AAA season ends a month earlier.

I believe the general consensus by the organization and the fans is we'd all like to see Montero get some playing time this season and that he can actually provide an offensive spark that is needed. Yet there's not an everyday spot for him, nor will there be. I believe my suggestion above addresses this dilemma logically.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever View Post
    Montero for Papelbon, Aceves and Lars Anderson.
    Solves everyones problems.
    How about Montero and Chavez for Pujols?
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

My opinion whether or not Montero would be called up to fill in as a backup catcher doesn't matter. I'm merely echoing what I've seen, heard, and read multiple times from this organization. Frankly, my opinion is that they are correct. I see no purpose to calling up this young 21 year old kid if he's not ready to play at the MLB level every day, and he doesn't seem to have reached that point yet. The consensus on his defense hasn't changed, and offensively his OPB and SLG are the worst of his minor league career. I can see calling the kid up if he were red hot, but right now there's nothing to indicate he would contribute anything offensively to the big club. The best thing he can do is to continue to work it out in the minors until he proves he's ready.

As for Posada. again, it's not just my opinion. The FO and Girardi both have indicated that Posada would not catch under any circumstances, even as third string. Do I care personally? No. In fact, I've often felt it might help his offense if they throw him a game or two behind the plate. They seem 100% intent not to.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Give macguyver a straw, paper clip, and rubber band. Then wait for halladay and lester to be traded to us for a bag of balls.

Problem solved.

Addicted Member

Pirates made a deal for AAA C Mike McKenry yesterday
    http://soxblog.projo.com/2011/06/red-sox-deal-ca.html

Thread Information