+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    Richmond Virginians

Re: 2011 Draft Results and Signing Thread

Per Baseball America, the following draft picks are signed.

Draft picks signed: RHP Zach Arneson (9), RHP Corey Maines (23), RHP Mark Montgomery (11), RHP Ben Paullus (19), RHP Branden Pinder (16), RHP Phil Wetherell (8), LHP Matt Tracy (24), OF Cody Grice (12)

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Per Baseball America, the following draft picks are signed.

Draft picks signed: RHP Zach Arneson (9), RHP Corey Maines (23), RHP Mark Montgomery (11), RHP Ben Paullus (19), RHP Branden Pinder (16), RHP Phil Wetherell (8), LHP Matt Tracy (24), OF Cody Grice (12)
    Did it have any bonus info?

Unfortunately, the ones we're all curious about probably won't sing til Aug 15. Hayden Sharp, Jake Cave, Justin James, etc.

Richmond Virginians

Quote Originally Posted by McMoose View Post
    Did it have any bonus info?
    It appears Baseball America is only listing bonuses for rounds one through 10.

NYYF Triple Crown

Bichette signed according to Marc Carig...

http://twitter.com/#!/Ledger_Yankees...85511929409536

Looks like he signed for approximately $50,000.00 over slot. Good to have this done early...

Surprised he got overslot money to be honest. Oh well hope he plays with the SI Yankees and does well. Team him with the bats from the 2010 draft and that could be an even more interesting team to watcht than the 'Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Surprised he got overslot money to be honest. Oh well hope he plays with the SI Yankees and does well. Team him with the bats from the 2010 draft and that could be an even more interesting team to watcht than the 'Dogs.
    I would be shocked if he started in staten island. The Yankees are traditionally very cautious with their young players and take their development very slowly. I see him in the GCL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    It was worth the extra 50K to get him in camp early instead of playing hard ball to August 15th. He'll be in the GCL this summer.

Kevin Levine-Flandrup aka YankeesDraft on twitter thinks Yanks have am agreement with Hayden Sharp, but it won't be announced til Aug. 15 cause its way overslot. Also notes that Jordan Cote is almost a lock to sign, Jake Cave a very solid chance of signing, but Jeremy Rathjen not in the picture right now.

excellent so far

why draft them if you don't sign them
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Rathjen not signing is strange to me . Risky Id say. He has one year left and if he comes back slow from the ACL what kind of leverage will he gain ? Go with the best when you have the chance . Unless he feels baseball isnt his future then i get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Rathjen not signing is strange to me . Risky Id say. He has one year left and if he comes back slow from the ACL what kind of leverage will he gain ? Go with the best when you have the chance . Unless he feels baseball isnt his future then i get it.
    I was just reading this little piece about Rathjen. "The Yankees also landed a non-traditional signability guy in Jeremy Rathjen (41). The Rice center fielder took a medical redshirt this spring after tearing his ACL, and he has the added negotiating leverage of being able to go back to school as a fourth-year junior and re-enter the draft in each of the next two years, when he’d be coming off a (presumably) healthy year." http://mlb-baseball-blog.com/ Besides the 2 years left, there are quite a few reasons why he may not sign. 1: He is attending Rice which is one of the best academic institutions in the country. 2: The Yankees are not offering him enough. 3: He is worried about being buried in the Yankee farm system with Arod at 3rd for the next several years. Does it mean it is the right decision.? No it does not, but it is what it is. We will know soon enough if it is final.

NYYF Legend

Thanks for that J . I thought he had the one year left because of the Red Shirt.

Stafford
    3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3K

Texas' season over
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

based on their appearances in the box score - we can determine both Corey Maines and Zach Wilson have both signed (both are in SI)

http://riveraveblues.com/2011/06/bic...-season-50823/

Tracy and Pinder have also played for SI. Montgomery and Paullus show up on SI's roster, Paullus on the DL.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Januz View Post
    I was just reading this little piece about Rathjen. "The Yankees also landed a non-traditional signability guy in Jeremy Rathjen (41). The Rice center fielder took a medical redshirt this spring after tearing his ACL, and he has the added negotiating leverage of being able to go back to school as a fourth-year junior and re-enter the draft in each of the next two years, when hed be coming off a (presumably) healthy year." http://mlb-baseball-blog.com/ Besides the 2 years left, there are quite a few reasons why he may not sign. 1: He is attending Rice which is one of the best academic institutions in the country. 2: The Yankees are not offering him enough. 3: He is worried about being buried in the Yankee farm system with Arod at 3rd for the next several years. Does it mean it is the right decision.? No it does not, but it is what it is. We will know soon enough if it is final.
    I am curious as to what the bolded item #3 has to do with Jeremy Rathjen? I thought he was a centerfielder in college at Rice and potentially profiled to a corner OF in the pros? If that is true, A-Rod should have nothing to do with his decision to sign or not - quite honestly, even if he was a 3rd baseman, it shouldn't, as he is likely 3+ years away, even as a collegiate player. Assuming he is an outfielder, that would seem to actually INCREASE his chances of signing with the Yankees, since we have limited OF prospects above Class A and it would seem to be the position with the least amount of depth. Agreed?

Hey, my first post on the forum. I was lurking, reading about the difficulty of signing Rathjen & stumbled across the item below. Turns out Rathjen is best friends and summer league teammate of our 2nd pick in this year's draft, Sam Stafford. Given the opportunity to reach the big leagues together for the same franchise, all things being equal -- & bonus money being sufficient -- you'd have to believe "that" would be a "quest" they'd both sign on for. Obviously, if the Yankees squeeze Rathjen, he has leverage & can go back to play for Rice in 2012. It ultimately comes down to how high they evaluate him & whether they too believe, like his summer league hitting coach, that he's a 5-tool player. If so, give him the dough, assure him he won't get buried in the organization & he'll get every chance to succeed, & SIGN HIM!

BTW, thanks to all who've posted here over the many months that I've been aware of the site; really great stuff & it has not gone unappreciated -- at least by me!

http://miketakeuchi.blogspot.com/201...l#comment-form

Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    Hey, my first post on the forum. I was lurking, reading about the difficulty of signing Rathjen & stumbled across the item below. Turns out Rathjen is best friends and summer league teammate of our 2nd pick in this year's draft, Sam Stafford. Given the opportunity to reach the big leagues together for the same franchise, all things being equal -- & bonus money being sufficient -- you'd have to believe "that" would be a "quest" they'd both sign on for. Obviously, if the Yankees squeeze Rathjen, he has leverage & can go back to play for Rice in 2012. It ultimately comes down to how high they evaluate him & whether they too believe, like his summer league hitting coach, that he's a 5-tool player. If so, give him the dough, assure him he won't get buried in the organization & he'll get every chance to succeed, & SIGN HIM!

BTW, thanks to all who've posted here over the many months that I've been aware of the site; really great stuff & it has not gone unappreciated -- at least by me!

http://miketakeuchi.blogspot.com/201...l#comment-form
    Wow, great find there. I'm surprised I didn't see this anywhere else. That could be a huge incentive for Rathjen to sign if the two are really as close as that article makes it seem.

And I completely agree that this is the best site out there for the latest yankees updates/discussion.

NYYF Legend

BA is still reporting that we have 10 draftees signed. I am sure that a few others are signed, but are over-slot deals and will not be approved until the deadline. It sure is frustrating though, when you see that Tampa has 28 guys under contract already, including 5-6 of those early draft picks.

Oh well - them's the breaks.

I happen to think that James is essentially delivered. "
    Pinstripes Plus: What are your immediate plans now that you have been drafted by the Yankees? Is it your intention to sign now and start your
    professional career immediately?
    James: Im not sure. My family and I really havent discussed it yet. I am going to wait and see when they call back and then see what happens for now." http://cupcrazy12.wordpress.com/ We have seen this answer before with signees. They are told by the Yankees to just wait it out, The key word being WAIT instead of FOLLOW, By comparison, Tyler Farrell, said this: " It just depends on the offer they give me I suppose. They said that they would be watching me over the summer and then make me an
    offer so I will just have to see how this summer goes."

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    BA is still reporting that we have 10 draftees signed. I am sure that a few others are signed, but are over-slot deals and will not be approved until the deadline. It sure is frustrating though, when you see that Tampa has 28 guys under contract already, including 5-6 of those early draft picks.

Oh well - them's the breaks.
    inexplicably slow in adopting the right strategy even though it has been demonstrated already by a rival. okay, you can't always figure out the best thing before other people do it, but at least pay attention?
    always reasonable

some of you guys crack me up. the reason tampa has so many guys signed is they got a lot of under slot guys, which 99% people here would flip out about if it was the yankees
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

One thing we saw about last year's draft is they signed quite a few guys they had a relationship with: Culver, Encinas, Morton & Gamel to name a few. This is the same approach we are seeing this year, Bichette being one example. Does it mean it is the best? Not necessarily. But we have seen too many guys fail in big situations: Soriano in The Bronx (Who Cashman did NOT want), Lebron and Roberto Luongo against the Bruins are three recent examples that come to mind. So I wonder if they are trying to draft guys who can fit the into Yankee system (Like Joe Paterno does in recruiting at Penn State). It will be very interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    some of you guys crack me up. the reason tampa has so many guys signed is they got a lot of under slot guys, which 99% people here would flip out about if it was the yankees

Indeed. Seriously folks, chill. The fact that the Yankees have so many guys who won't sign immediately indicates that there are a lot of potential overslot picks.

Thread Information