+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: 51st overall pick: Dante Bichette Jr.

what does that even mean.

so you are saying it is okay to pretend that...players you could have picked isn't even there?
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    this reaction, counter-reaction cycle is getting tiresome.

fact is, he's not the best guy on the board unless your board looks really different. here's hoping that he'll hit and surprise the doubters, but so far, this pick is down.

whether he disproves this in the future is irrelevant.
    Alrite awy this is your warning. You have absolutely no idea what any teams board looks like and speaking in fact like you are is unacceptable. If you don't like him as the best player on your board you can comment on it. Making blanket statements likenthat makes you look silly.
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

general consensus. i'm not an expert on this stuff, just commenting on what i can see. i just do not have the presumption that the yankees are much better than the 'public' consensus. but whatever
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    general consensus. i'm not an expert on this stuff, just commenting on what i can see. i just do not have the presumption that the yankees are much better than the 'public' consensus. but whatever
    Thats fine, get your point across better using these public consensus points and explain the reason you don't like the pick. Keep the sky is falling stuff for somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Buzah! View Post
    A Yankee Bat is the kind of bat one has to have not to be replaced. Cano showed a Yankee bat, and we haven't had to replace him, for example. Melky didn't really have a Yankee bat, and we had to spend and give up stuff to replace him. That's the distinction. And if you watch the tapes of Bichette, you can hear his bat make that different sound the scouts talk about.

Anyway, the deal is this Bell is going to college and thinks he's an eventual first overall pick. Norris needs reality therapy because he is not as good as what he is asking for.

The Yanks took a player they love and who they believe has a Yankee bat. They will take more players they love tomorrow and Wednesday. This is the scouts' World Series.
    Thanks for explaining............I hope Bichette turns into the player the Yankees obviously think he can.

Position-wise, if he plays 3rd or corner OF he fills a need at the lower levels.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Looks pretty uncoordinated taking grounders in that video, but I really like the way the ball sounds coming off his bat. For those who mentioned the possible connection between Girardi and Bitchette's father, that's an absolutely absurd assumption. I am fairly certain Girardi has almost nothing whatsoever to do with the draft - that seems to be predominantly left to their scouting department and front office. The notion that scouts and some members of the front office, whose actual careers are on the line and can be negatively affected by a bad draft year, would throw away their first round pick is ridiculous.
    "We're going to have a sign that says Mussina, Hughes and Kennedy, Attorneys at Law." -- Moose

One of the Home Run Derby videos on You Tube shows him (and others) at the Yankees' complex in January, 2009. Even if there is a Girardi connection, it seems the scouts have had plenty of opportunities to see him up close and judge for themselves.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

They know the kid very well, and Girardi isn't in Tampa most of the time they are working with the kid. Last year we took three up the middle kids and two college power bats early, maybe this year we're gonna take some power preps early. I wonder who our first pitcher will be.

NYYF Legend

I'm just curious how the Yanks took someone whose future is considered "limited to an OF corner" and has a "questionable hit tool" as their first rounder. Seems as conservative as Bleich and Culver at first glance, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Does it matter which order we take them in?

NYYF MVP

Are people watching the same video I am? Watch the way he is on his toes as the ball is hit. He's in position so quickly, he has to wait for the ball on a lot of those grounders. Its typical of the lateral movement you see in tennis players. They have to be in position early to be ready to swing.

In saying that, I have the same curiosity about whether he'd have been there later, but last year we found out Minnesota was looking at Culver, so maybe he wouldn't have lasted.

I think the notion the Yankees did this because of a friendship is patently ridiculous. What round did they draft Mazilli's son in?? I think it was the 48th.

Lastly, I love the power tool, its lacking in the system, its needed, and its hard to find outside of massive free agency contracts that usually have dead years and constrict NORMAL clubs movements. The Bautista stance is horrible, but I can deal with it as long as this isn't another Poterson, and I think he is way more than that given just that short clip.
    "No, I would not like to reconsider being a Yankee fan, and no, marrying a New Englander should have no bearing on it."

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I'm just curious how the Yanks took someone whose future is considered "limited to an OF corner" and has a "questionable hit tool" as their first rounder. Seems as conservative as Bleich and Culver at first glance, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.
    The limited to an OF corner is certainly a a valid critique, but with his arm he has RF potential at the very least. And it seems that wether or not he will hit seems to be a debate brought on by law. BA seems to have no problem with that bat and Damon Oppenheimer thinks he can hit in the middle of an order. Obviously he will have to prove it in the minors. His defensive value may drop him a bit but he has the second best raw power in the HS class.

I think his baggy pants make him look less agile that he is in the field. I didn't see clumsy.

there seems to be these main reports on his hitting.

1. he is in the cage a lot.
    2. his swing is 'freestyle', but there is natural hitting talent, or whatever can be seen as natural talent in high school.

assuming he's just really damn good, the apparent lack of a disciplined approach is working against him. and the work ethic bit can be counterproductive here, as he's not really 'working' in the same manner that is required at the pro level.

idk though, hopefully he's just really damn good at hitting.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster View Post
    Thanks for explaining............I hope Bichette turns into the player the Yankees obviously think he can.
    Here's hoping Dante Bichette Jr. follows the foot steps of Ken Griffey Jr.

Addicted Member

When I was a youngster, I used to secretly call Dante Bichette, Dante "BITCHette". I was the coolest.

True story.

When Sheffield and Eric Davis were young they both had that similar stance that Bichette has now, that starts open then closes and brings the knee up fast. Sheff eventually moved away from it, but they both had similar moving parts when they were young. I'm sure the Yanks will get him more square to the pitcher since they use ARod tapes for instruction.

I have no opinion on the pick whatsoever. I really don't trust any of the info out there. When the data sucks, give up.

NYYF Legend

Just noticed something - for those of you praying this kid ends up being as successful as his dad, his dad put up a career TOTAL of 2.0 WAR (b-ref). That's right, TOTAL. For reference, Granderson has been worth about 2 WAR so far this 1/3 of a season alone.

This has nothing to do with Jr., just pointing out that his dad isn't someone we should hope his son would be, unless that's all the production we want out of our precious only high pick.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Buzah! View Post
    Does it matter which order we take them in?
    Why take someone who'll be available in the 3rd round, in the supplemental round?

Are we going to hear a rumor tomorrow that the Twins were ready to take Bichette right before the Yanks pick?

Just noticed something - for those of you praying this kid ends up being as successful as his dad, his dad put up a career TOTAL of 2.0 WAR (b-ref). That's right, TOTAL. For reference, Granderson has been worth about 2 WAR so far this 1/3 of a season alone.

This has nothing to do with Jr., just pointing out that his dad isn't someone we should hope his son would be, unless that's all the production we want out of our precious only high pick.
    ultimate bloodline (tM) guy barry lamar bonds is a different player than his dad, netting much more value. although both possessed the same physical tools.
    always reasonable

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Yeah, people remeber Sr. hitting bombs, but that was at the peak of the steroid era and in Colorado, where the park factor was 129 (!) in '95 for example when he hit 40.

He had several good seasons, but here's to hoping his kid has an even better run in store in the future.

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

Found some stuff on him.

saw his powershowcase video, Bichette had the fastest batspeed at the showcase, clocked at 99 mph off a tee.

http://www.pinstripealley.com/2011/6...port?ref=yahoo
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

Except for Law at ESPN, who I don't trust, everywhere else says the kid can flat out stroke.

Thread Information