Devils in 6
    Flyers in 7

Canucks in 6
    Blues in 5
    Coyotes in 7
    Predators in 7

Re: Official NHL Thread: 2011-2012 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    I can't believe how awful the Craps-Broons series is.

I didn't want the Rangers to face the Craps, because I cannot stand Craps fans and would have felt forced living locally to buy tickets. Also did not want to listen to Joe B. But...Craps-Broons means one of the hidious franchises will advance, and I don't think I can pull for a team that honors Milbury, Sanderson, Neely, Bourque, and employs Jack Edwards (who is worse than Hawk Harrelson), Bricky, Lucic (dirty coward), Marchand (dirty coward), Timmy (loudmouth racist) and co.

AGH!
    Hey Bluecountry, long time no see.

I totally see where you're coming from, considering that someone from the awful Panthers and Devils series will advance, and of course there's having one of the hideous Flyers-Penguins franchises advance because clearly they've escaped having long histories of employing dirty cowards (Matt Cooke for Masterton!), tanking for Superstars, homer announcers (Steigerwald), which is awesome because they've made me sympathetic to the Flyers of all teams.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MTYankee23 View Post
    Hey Bluecountry, long time no see.

I totally see where you're coming from, considering that someone from the awful Panthers and Devils series will advance, and of course there's having one of the hideous Flyers-Penguins franchises advance because clearly they've escaped having long histories of employing dirty cowards (Matt Cooke for Masterton!), tanking for Superstars, homer announcers (Steigerwald), which is awesome because they've made me sympathetic to the Flyers of all teams.

Rangers in 5
    Bruins in 6
    Devils in 5
    Flyers in 7

Canucks in 5
    Blues in 4
    Coyotes in 6
    Preds in 6

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident View Post
    Rangers in 5
    Bruins in 6
    Devils in 5 (if it takes more, they should be eliminated by default, if the Panthers win Devils should be contracted.)
    Penguins in 7

Canucks in 6
    Blues in 6
    Blackhawks in 5
    Wings in 7
    The Devils should obviously win, but it is the #4/5 team vs the #6 team. There are 2 teams in the east worse than the Panthers and several who are better than the Devils...

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    The Devils should obviously win, but it is the #4/5 team vs the #6 team. There are 2 teams in the east worse than the Panthers and several who are better than the Devils...
    I'd rank the EC playoff teams like this:

1. Pittsburgh (ugh)
    2. Rangers
    3. Boston
    4. Philly
    5. Jersey
    6. Washington
    7. Ottawa
    8. Florida

And really, given that the 4 key guys for Washington are healthy, as a Bruins fan I'd be much more comfortable playing the Devils than I am the Caps.

Florida was -24 in goal differential. Buffalo is better than them.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Florida is the worst team to make the playoffs since the lockout. They only had 32 non-shootout wins this season (tied with Buffalo, Carolina & Colorado). Their goal differential is -24.

1. Pittsburgh (ugh)
    2. Rangers
    3. Boston
    4. Philly
    5. Jersey
    6. Washington
    7. Ottawa
    8. Florida

And really, given that the 4 key guys for Washington are healthy, as a Bruins fan I'd be much more comfortable playing the Devils than I am the Caps.

Spot on. I was fine with the Rangers mailing it for that last game if it meant getting Florida and having the Devils play the Caps.

Buffalo or Winnipeg would have been tougher draws for NJD. The only spot where the Panthers hold an advantage over NJ is playoff experience where they have a handful of guys who have won the cup (Kopecky, Madden, Samuelsson, Versteeg, Campbell.) They've got two back ups for goalies and have no punch on offense at all. Outside of a superhuman performance by either of their goalies in this series (it has happened before), there is NO reason for this to extend to game 6.

Spot on. I was fine with the Rangers mailing it for that last game if it meant getting Florida and having the Devils play the Caps.

Buffalo or Winnipeg would have been tougher draws for NJD. The only spot where the Panthers hold an advantage over NJ is playoff experience where they have a handful of guys who have won the cup (Kopecky, Madden, Samuelsson, Versteeg, Campbell.) They've got two back ups for goalies and have no punch on offense at all. Outside of a superhuman performance by either of their goalies in this series (it has happened before), there is NO reason for this to extend to game 6.
    Every team played that situation brilliantly, except Boston for starting Turco against the Pens, and Khudobin against Ottawa when they should have done the exact opposite. Really hope that doesn't come back to haunt us.

Rangers were definitely better off losing Saturday (and facing either Ottawa or Florida)
    Ottawa was better off losing out, they're likely hopeless, but they've fared better against New York than they have Boston.
    Washington and Florida were better off winning and taking a crack at the division and the Devils.

And that's exactly how it played out.

BB55's Picks - Western Conference Quarterfinals

These are my Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Picks
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7474714

Now for the Western Conference...

#1 Vancouver Canucks vs. #8 Los Angeles Kings
    BB55 says: Canucks in 7 (Number of OTs in the series: 4)

Why? Even though the Kings have a great goaltender in Jonathan Quick and a stingy defense, the Kings are very short up front despite Daniel Sedin banged up and they need to win the low-scoring games and the special teams battle. Having Jeff Carter chipping in with some points will also help.

Had the Kings finish the job and win the Pacific Division over the Phoenix Coyotes and San Jose Sharks, they could've been in fine form heading into the playoffs. But then again, getting an #8 seed to face the Canucks is not all that bad since the Kings can cause havoc as a lower seed and the Canucks went the distance the last time they faced an #8 as a #1 seed.

Tough matchup to call, but I have to go with the Canucks, but only just.

#2 St. Louis Blues vs. #7 San Jose Sharks
    BB55 says: Sharks in 7 (Number of OTs in the series: 5)

Why? Even though the St. Louis Blues had the San Jose Sharks number during the regular season and Ken Hitchcock has this young and deep squad playing consistent hockey with the likes of Alex Pietrangelo and David Perron with a backstopper in Jaroslav Halak, I just think Team Teal has a chance to pull off the upset. This year, they have nothing to lose and I think Antti Niemi can get hot in this postseason like he did as a Chicago Blackhawk in 2010.

However, the Sharks need everyone including Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau chipping in with points especially Marleau. Marleau needs to be more consistent so that Jeremy Roenick doesn't call him 'gutless' again.

#3 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #6 Chicago Blackhawks
    BB55 says: Blackhawks in 7 (Number of OTs in the series: 3)

Why? I would like to see the Coyotes finally get out of the first round of the playoffs for the first time in the Phoenix era and for the first time since 1987 when they were the Winnipeg Jets, but unless the last original Jet Shane Doan and G Mike Smith play the series of their lives, I just don't see it.

The Blackhawks are very deep and talented and if they can get their special teams going and Corey Crawford as the Crawford down the stretch and the colossus beast in the Canucks series, it will be too much for Dave Tippett and the Desert Dogs.

#4 Nashville Predators vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings
    BB55 says: Red Wings in 7 (Number of OTs in the series: 6)

Why? Wow! Another tough matchup to call. Both the Preds and Red Wings are talented with the Preds slightly deeper in both forwards and defense and both Jimmy Howard and Pekka Rinne can steal a series.

The Red Wings form away from Joe Louis Arena is a concern because they have 21 road losses, that's tied with the Washington Capitals for the most among playoff teams and Bridgestone Arena will be jumping.

In a coin flip, it's hard to go against the Winged Wheel. If the Preds win, I'll be okay with that too.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

1. Pittsburgh (ugh)
    2. Rangers
    3. Boston
    4. Philly
    5. Jersey
    6. Washington
    7. Ottawa
    8. Florida

The Power Play also killed the Buffalo Sabres in the process. The Florida Panthers were 7th in the NHL in that department.

As for the Caps, sure, they're healthy, but Alexander Semin is a nut case. Unless I see Semin plays and score points like crazy in the postseason (which is doubtful), Dale Hunter and the Caps need to heavily rely on Ovy.

George McPhee had every opportunity to trade Semin and yet, he failed again.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

My only hope is the Penguins donít win the Cup. I could tolerate literally any other team taking it home, but I am not sure I could stomach seeing the Pens win it all again.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic View Post
    My only hope is the Penguins donít win the Cup. I could tolerate literally any other team taking it home, but I am not sure I could stomach seeing the Pens win it all again.
    Agreed.

I still think the Flyers can beat them over a 7 game series, but I'd feel much better about their chances if Pronger, Meszaros and JVR were healthy enough to play.
    28 in 2014

NYYF Legend

Sometimes favorites don't win.

The Pens are a late favorite. Most of the season it was the Bruins who were suppose to win it all again.

So who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Sometimes favorites don't win.

The Pens are a late favorite. Most of the season it was the Bruins who were suppose to win it all again.

So who knows.
    I don't really buy into favorites in the NHL playoffs. I'd say there are 6-8 contenders, 2 of them are going to stay healthy, get strong goaltending, and catch a break or two along the way and wind up in the SCF. In the East that's Pitt, NYR, Boston, and Philly. In the West, probably Vancouver, St. Louis, Detroit and Nashville.

I hope it's either the Rangers/Boston vs. St. Louis/Nashville personally. Maybe Chicago because the Canuck fans hate them so much.

On NHL.com, the vast majority of their analysts picked Pittsburgh. I think 2 picked the Rangers, and 1 each picked Nashville, Chicago, and Vancouver.

The only thing that makes me lukewarm on the Penguins is that it's extremely possible their run to the cup goes Philly, Boston, New York, and then the west winner. Would be awfully tough to beat 4 100 point teams, and mostly because the NHL playoffs are a test of attrition. I believe every Cup Winner since the lockout has had one conference series win in 5 games or less.

I don't really buy into favorites in the NHL playoffs. I'd say there are 6-8 contenders, 2 of them are going to stay healthy, get strong goaltending, and catch a break or two along the way and wind up in the SCF. In the East that's Pitt, NYR, Boston, and Philly. In the West, probably Vancouver, St. Louis, Detroit and Nashville.

I hope it's either the Rangers/Boston vs. St. Louis/Nashville personally. Maybe Chicago because the Canuck fans hate them so much.

On NHL.com, the vast majority of their analysts picked Pittsburgh. I think 2 picked the Rangers, and 1 each picked Nashville, Chicago, and Vancouver.

The only thing that makes me lukewarm on the Penguins is that it's extremely possible their run to the cup goes Philly, Boston, New York, and then the west winner. Would be awfully tough to beat 4 100 point teams, and mostly because the NHL playoffs are a test of attrition. I believe every Cup Winner since the lockout has had one conference series win in 5 games or less.

Good points.

And even if you do believe the Pens are the favorites, you have to remember that this is not the NBA playoffs where it pretty much all comes down to either having the talent or not.

In a short series, a hot goalie, a fluke injury, a lucky break, a lucky bounce, a penalty, etc., can really diminish any edge a team like the Pens may have.

Good points.

And even if you do believe the Pens are the favorites, you have to remember that this is not the NBA playoffs where it pretty much all comes down to either having the talent or not.

In a short series, a hot goalie, a fluke injury, a lucky break, a lucky bounce, a penalty, etc., can really diminish any edge a team like the Pens may have.
    Exactly. If Bryzgalov catches fire, the Pens could easily lose to Philly.

NYYF Legend

Exactly.
    IF IF IF, they get to the cup Finals, they will likely have key players missing having gone through teams like the Bruins, Flyers, Rangers.

I know they missed Crosby for most of the season, but they have NOT been the best team this year.
    They've had a late season hot streak.... now everyone's picking them.

Good points.

Right. There's alot more variables that come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Exactly. If Bryzgalov catches fire, the Pens could easily lose to Philly.
    I have the Flyers winning in 7. That could be a nasty series. Either way, a very good team is going home early.

Too many are picking the Pens.

My thing has always been, when there are so many fans/experts picking a certain team to win, they usually don't win.
    Whether it's a series or a specific game.

I have Pittsburgh beating Philly but I'm not confident in that prediction.

To me it comes down to 2 things...

1. How will the universe play?
    2. How tight will this series be called? Will the refs let the guys play or will the Pens be able to buy a ton of calls?

2. How tight will this series be called? Will the refs let the guys play or will the Pens be able to buy a ton of calls?
    I am sure guys like Letang are gearing up for some Oscar-worthy dives.

And the Pens apologists will just say, "But...but...everyone else does it too!"

NYYF Legend

Edmonton won the lottery again.

Isn't that 3 years in a row? Kind of seems unfair.

Columbus was by far the worst team in the NHL this year.

There should be some kind of rule in the next CBA about consecutive 1st overall picks. imo

NYYF Legend

Woo Hoo........# 3

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

There should be some kind of rule in the next CBA about consecutive 1st overall picks. imo
    There should be a rule about consecutive lottery picks in general.

But Eberle, Hall, Hopkins and Yakupov? Yowza...

I know they're weak on D but f that, go for the gold on offense. If MPS ever gets it going, forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer
    Woo Hoo........# 3
    I hope who ever you pick busts, and I mean that in the nicest way possible!

The NHL obviously is unfair and there is a consipiracy to get Yakupov to the Oilers.

NYYF Legend

Pens got four straight .......Stahl,Fluery,Malkin,Crosby
    .....it's a lottery.........a lot of hatred I see around is the same as the Yankees.........too many stars............it's a jealousy thing.

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Thread Information