+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Thread: GyM rats

NYYF Legend

Re: GyM rats

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    We all started somewhere
    Very true, thanks for the reminder!
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I need to get myself back to the gym. Now that I got the smoking out of the way it may be a good idea.
    It's a great idea.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    It's a great idea.
    I used to go very much. Not for bulk just to keep in shape. After I had children I stopped going but I can't neglect it anymore. I feel too lazy.
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Addicted Member

Do i dare ask if you ever stopped neglecting since summer?
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Addicted Member

Me benching 275 for 13 reps

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    Me benching 275 for 13 reps

So wot happens if you couldn't make that 13th rep? If you don't have a spotter, then that thing is on yer neck.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    So wot happens if you couldn't make that 13th rep? If you don't have a spotter, then that thing is on yer neck.
    Not having a spotter makes you bang out the rep...lol jk in all seriousness it is a really dangerous idea.

Operation 28

So wot happens if you couldn't make that 13th rep?
    The guy filming it stops and walks over to assist him.
    Team Northern Lights

Addicted Member

I don't use clips for that reason. You start rocking it side to side and the plates fall off. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Do i dare ask if you ever stopped neglecting since summer?
    Yeah I've been really awful about it. Plus finances are tight I really can't afford to go to a gym regularly. The price of the memberships are way high at least around where I live.

I am getting very close to trying to budget it in. I spent all day yesterday with my kids and their friends and we were playing catch, tossing the Frisbee around, tag, all the normal kid stuff. I woke up this morning and my shoulder feels like it's hanging from a thread and my back is not happy with me either. I'm 37 and this kind of activity is only going to increase as my kids get older. I need to get back in shape. If I'm going to teach my son to pitch for the Yankees by the time he's 20 I can't allow myself to be so damn fragile.
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Do you do a specific strength training program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5?
    I've done Strong Lifts and all I can say is BE CAREFUL! I've gotten back injuries, shoulder injuries, and knee injuries. The guy Mehdi is half fitness guru, half con artist, so take everything he writes very very critically. His main success is making you do Squats and doing no machines. He's 100% right on that. Free weights & exercises force you to develop balance and core strength. And the squat is the single best strength training exercise you can ever do.

Pull ups are the upper body version of squats, but most people new to them can't do a single pull up or chin up. And half assed PU/CU don't do you any good.

Where you'll get into real trouble are squat technique, deadlifts, and overhead press. He used to tell everyone to do ass to grass squats, but so many people blew out their knees he had to change his teachings. Now he tells you to go just below parallel and back up squeezing the quads & glutes, which is the right way to do them. But you need to practice your form or your could still hurt your knees and also your back.

Deadlifts are super dangerous if you don't do them right. And if you miss one or two workouts, DO NOT go up to the next weight because you'll probably pull something really bad in your lower back and take it from me recovery is over a year (if it ever gets 100% better). Now that I'm doing 5x5 stronglifts-like workouts again, I completely skip the deadlift and do other safer back training routines.

As for the overhead press, going up 5lbs every 2 workouts just wasn't working at all. It was too much weight for that range of motion. I recommend adding 2.5 lbs with microplates, and working on isolation exercises, not only for the shoulders, but also for your forearms & triceps to help you build up to complete pull ups or chin ups

NYYF Legend

First thing you do is yell out "HELP" and people will rush over to you. If the gym is empty then you need to go to plan B, which is roll the bar from your chest to your hips and sit up.

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    I don't use clips for that reason. You start rocking it side to side and the plates fall off. Been there, done that.
    Never thought of that, but you can lose stability if the plates get loose in between reps

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I've done Strong Lifts and all I can say is BE CAREFUL! I've gotten back injuries, shoulder injuries, and knee injuries. The guy Mehdi is half fitness guru, half con artist, so take everything he writes very very critically. His main success is making you do Squats and doing no machines. He's 100% right on that. Free weights & exercises force you to develop balance and core strength. And the squat is the single best strength training exercise you can ever do.

Pull ups are the upper body version of squats, but most people new to them can't do a single pull up or chin up. And half assed PU/CU don't do you any good.

Where you'll get into real trouble are squat technique, deadlifts, and overhead press. He used to tell everyone to do ass to grass squats, but so many people blew out their knees he had to change his teachings. Now he tells you to go just below parallel and back up squeezing the quads & glutes, which is the right way to do them. But you need to practice your form or your could still hurt your knees and also your back.

Deadlifts are super dangerous if you don't do them right. And if you miss one or two workouts, DO NOT go up to the next weight because you'll probably pull something really bad in your lower back and take it from me recovery is over a year (if it ever gets 100% better). Now that I'm doing 5x5 stronglifts-like workouts again, I completely skip the deadlift and do other safer back training routines.

As for the overhead press, going up 5lbs every 2 workouts just wasn't working at all. It was too much weight for that range of motion. I recommend adding 2.5 lbs with microplates, and working on isolation exercises, not only for the shoulders, but also for your forearms & triceps to help you build up to complete pull ups or chin ups
    Well said, i agree 100% will all of this, very well written and accurate. And yes i think for the most part there's always going to be some sort of a crowd in the gym and showing any sign of desperation people won't flinch at running to you and offering help.

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

But, if you do them correctly and drive from the heels up, they're not dangerous. In fact, believe it or not, we used them as a staple in my rehab of a strained lower ab/groin. They were done with a complete stop at the bottom to eliminate band reflex and force correct form.

If you averse to them, have you ever tried a hex/trap bar deadlift? These feel much more natural. I'd think they'd be a decent substitute.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Yeah I've been really awful about it. Plus finances are tight I really can't afford to go to a gym regularly. The price of the memberships are way high at least around where I live.

I am getting very close to trying to budget it in. I spent all day yesterday with my kids and their friends and we were playing catch, tossing the Frisbee around, tag, all the normal kid stuff. I woke up this morning and my shoulder feels like it's hanging from a thread and my back is not happy with me either. I'm 37 and this kind of activity is only going to increase as my kids get older. I need to get back in shape. If I'm going to teach my son to pitch for the Yankees by the time he's 20 I can't allow myself to be so damn fragile.
    You really don't need a gym. You can by 1/2 inch and one inch JC Bands from a place like ihpfit.com for about 35 bucks and they'll keep you busy for about 2 months if you utilize them correctly. Slowly add in medicine balls, sandbags, and you'll have a completely fine home gym before you know it.

I just finished building a "rouge box" which is a 20 x 24 x 30 box that can be used for plyometric training. They cost 135 bucks to buy, but I made it with one piece if 3/4 inch plywood and a 2x4 for a total cost of about 35 dollars.

There's tons of options besides paying for a gym.
    Team Northern Lights

Thread Information