+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: GyM rats

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Re: GyM rats

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Did you or your PT decide to meet 3X a week? The reason I ask is I pulled a muscle in my back a while ago and am now seeing a PT 2X a week (based on her recommnedation). It doesn't feel like I'm making a lot of progress lately and I'm wondering if I should be seeing the PT more often.
    I saw my Internal Med doc and she recommended PT 3x a week. For the most part, I only made it there 2x a week but I felt it really helped and I learned some good exercises. I hope your back is better soon. Back and neck problems suck.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I know how you feel. About a year ago, I hurt my shoulder and then developed knee tendinitis not long afterward. It was absolutely maddening sitting around unable to do anything at all. The lost progress was a pain in the ass too. Hopefully your recovery goes well.
    Thanks for the kind wishes. It's not too awful, I can still walk and do most things, I'm just extremely limited when it comes to exercise. I can still throw a baseball okay, so I really shouldn't even complain.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    What was the injury?

I was rehabbing a torn hamstring two years ago and strained my groin doing deadlifts, probably because I was overcompensating for the hammy.

I hired a trainer to rehab it. Which we did by doing.......more deadlifts.
    I honestly have no idea. I can't afford to go get it checked out and I definitely didn't break anything. It feels like I strained a muscle in my lower back, but I really don't know. I'll try to explain what happened and how it feels so others can chime in.

When it first happened, there was a sharp pain that spread down my lower back, both glutes, and into my left hamstring. I immediately dropped the bar, sat on my couch, laid down, and slept there because it hurt too much to get up and go up the stairs to my room. The following week I had pain in the same spots and wasn't able to do anything baseball related. The second week, the pain switched sides and shoots from my lower back down my right glute, right hammy, and right calf. Now, the first couple weeks I was still regularly going on 8-12 mile hikes, and I'm guessing that I might have overcompensated for my bad left side and hurt my right side as a result. Getting to sleep was very difficult the first couple of weeks as a result of the pain.

I did a little bit of work today, but it was disjunct and not really focused on any one area like I typically prefer to do. Situps, pullups, dumbbell benchpress, and dumbbell shoulder press. For the dumbbell exercises, it hurt a lot to get the dumbbells up, but once I got them up everything was fine until it was time to put them back down, which hurt again. The first 5 situps hurt incredibly bad every time I started a set, but once I would get to around 10 the pain would be dull and weak and I could cruise easily.

As for the pullups, those are fine. It hurts a little bit (mostly in the leg and glute), but not too much after the 2nd rep. Pull ups and suspended leg lifts are really the only exercise I've been able to do regularly since I hurt myself.

Has anyone ever had similar pains? Let me know what your problems turned out to be and how you got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    a sharp pain that spread down my lower back, both glutes, and into my left hamstring.
    Sounds like the sciatic nerve.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I honestly have no idea. I can't afford to go get it checked out and I definitely didn't break anything. It feels like I strained a muscle in my lower back, but I really don't know. I'll try to explain what happened and how it feels so others can chime in.
    It does sound like a strain, or, as Coffee pointed out, a nerve got pinched or something. That would explain the pain pattern all the way down the leg.

I've had something similar that I got while squatting, but it's hard to give advice without knowing, and the right thing to do is go to a doctor, or a trainer who specializes in rehab.

I'm neither but I'll just tell you what I would do personally, but proceed at your own risk.
    I would load ibuprofen 3x a day for about a week. I'd probably also see if I could score a prednisone script from my doc. I'd also ice the ................ out of it during the day, and heat it at night.

I'd also keep active, but only if there's no pain. I don't like your sit up story, since the pain is probably just going away due to adrenaline/endorphin type crap and you may be re-aggrivating it.

One thing you might try is rolling a baseball under each foot for about 2 minutes, twice a day. Stand on the baseball, and put as much weight on it as you can bear. At the very least, this will loosen up the entire back of your leg from your ankle to your lower back.

So, in a nutshell, keep active to keep the blood flowing, hit it with drugs, and, mostly, be patient.
    Team Northern Lights

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

So today I had the pleasure of sparring with one of the advanced guys, needless to say we began doing boxing only. This guy forgot he was fighting a general guy and got carried away, I was able to hold my own until he caught me with an overhand right, right into my eye. I carried on until the end of the round only for my next partner to tell me I should put ice on my eye. Looks like I can take a punch but am not happy with the black eye I now got as I'm flying off on holiday on Thursday
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Addicted Member

chicks dig black eyes, and you may want to tell a little white lie when somebody asks what the other guy looked like lol.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Sounds like the sciatic nerve.
    Yeah, I've been seriously hoping it isn't some form of sciatica since there are 10,000 different causes for it and no real way of fixing it other than to see a doctor (which I can't) or just wait for it to get better.

It does sound like a strain, or, as Coffee pointed out, a nerve got pinched or something. That would explain the pain pattern all the way down the leg.

I've had something similar that I got while squatting, but it's hard to give advice without knowing, and the right thing to do is go to a doctor, or a trainer who specializes in rehab.

I'm neither but I'll just tell you what I would do personally, but proceed at your own risk.
    I would load ibuprofen 3x a day for about a week. I'd probably also see if I could score a prednisone script from my doc. I'd also ice the ................ out of it during the day, and heat it at night.
    Most days the pain is so dull that I don't even notice it unless I try to exercise or find myself in an odd position (i.e. squatting down, turning my body with my weight all on my right leg, trying to sit up from a prone position, etc.).

I'd also keep active, but only if there's no pain. I don't like your sit up story, since the pain is probably just going away due to adrenaline/endorphin type crap and you may be re-aggrivating it.
    I don't think it was adrenaline or endorphins because the situps came at the tail end of a workout and any adrenaline or endorphins as a result of the workout would have already been circulating in my system long before I started the situps.

It has been weird since then, though. All day yesterday the pain was at its absolute weakest, but it has been bothering me most of today so far. I have no idea how to interpret that; I would think that if I aggravated it, I would have either felt it right away or the morning after. At the same time, I'm nervous about the discomfort I've felt today.

One thing you might try is rolling a baseball under each foot for about 2 minutes, twice a day. Stand on the baseball, and put as much weight on it as you can bear. At the very least, this will loosen up the entire back of your leg from your ankle to your lower back.
    Definitely gonna try this. Thanks.

Loving that baseball trick. I woke up this morning and it was really bothering me again, so I gave it a shot. I was skeptical at first because I felt no discomfort in the areas that hurt (although it definitely hurt the arch of my foot to put 205 pounds on top of it and it on top of a baseball), but walking around afterward it felt sooooo much better.

One thing, though, is I totally forgot that you said to do both legs. I only did the leg that was in pain. I'll remember to do both later.

Loving that baseball trick.
    Awesome.

I became a believer in it when I was being tested for flexibility. They test me, had me do that exercise, and tested again. There was like a 10 degree increase in movement instantly.

Also, foam rolling cures almost any muscle pain for me.
    Team Northern Lights

Addicted Member

Its amazing the miracles a foam roller can do. Any person engaging in any sort of physical activity i strongly suggest invest the $15 in a foam roller
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Its amazing the miracles a foam roller can do. Any person engaging in any sort of physical activity i strongly suggest invest the $15 in a foam roller
    The idea of laying on a foam roller is horrible.. but the aftermath is worth it. I am going to try the baseball trick too.. can't hurt to have some extra foot flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by chanman7483 View Post
    The idea of laying on a foam roller is horrible.. but the aftermath is worth it. I am going to try the baseball trick too.. can't hurt to have some extra foot flexibility.
    You'll be surprised - the flexibility will go throughout the entire posterior chain.....
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Anyone do any TRX training? My gym at work is installing the equipment and they're having a couple of training sessions on it. It seems interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Anyone do any TRX training? My gym at work is installing the equipment and they're having a couple of training sessions on it. It seems interesting.
    I've been looking to buy one for about two months, but I'm having a hard time justifying paying $200 for something that can be made from two length of chain and some carabiners from home depot. I've learned there are a lot of counterfeit TRXs out there.

I think it's great as a complement to your exercise program, but I wouldn't want to make it the lone foucs.
    Team Northern Lights

Awhile back I posted how I got the Bowflex 1090 dumbbell set for $359, when they normally sell for $599.

That sale is going on again with free shipping.

Details

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3148972
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Question from a novice runner, I need a decent pair of running shoes. I don't want to spend a ton of $$. I bought a pair of Nike Lunarfly and since I started wearing them I've gotten a bruise under my big toenail on both feet.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I need to be.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    Question from a novice runner, I need a decent pair of running shoes. I don't want to spend a ton of $$. I bought a pair of Nike Lunarfly and since I started wearing them I've gotten a bruise under my big toenail on both feet.
    I've always been partial to Asics - not just for running, for any sport. This site might be of some help to you. There are reviews submitted by runners for just about every shoe on the market and you can also compare prices.

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,...00-0-0,00.html
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Don't take the advice on any specific shoes from anyone on the internet or even close friends.

Go to a local running store (not Footlocker, Dick's, etc. An actual running store) and tell them you need a pair of running shoes. They'll ask about your running habits, check out your feet and how you walk and then recommend the correct shoe based on how you pronate, your arches, and a few other things. It will take 10-20 mins and you'll end up with a great pair of running shoes for $60-100.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I agree with Steve. Go to a running store and tell them what your plans are. They will guide you as to what shoes are best. In my case, there is a store called Fleet Feet. Inside the store, they have a treadmill. They video tape you running so they can see what type of shoe is best for you (along with other things I told them about my mileage, etc).

I happen to run in Saucony which I absolutely love but they may not be right for you.

NYYF Legend

I never realized there are specific stores for runners (not that I'm a runner by any means!). I do a measley 2 miles! I'll have to check and see what I can find around here. Thanks for the advice!
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I need to be.

I need to get myself back to the gym. Now that I got the smoking out of the way it may be a good idea.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Awhile back I posted how I got the Bowflex 1090 dumbbell set for $359, when they normally sell for $599.

That sale is going on again with free shipping.

Details

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3148972
    Thanks for this. Are you enjoying them so far?

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

I never realized there are specific stores for runners (not that I'm a runner by any means!). I do a measley 2 miles! I'll have to check and see what I can find around here. Thanks for the advice!
    We all started somewhere
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    Thanks for this. Are you enjoying them so far?
    Yes, they're really a good piece of equipment. The only odd thing is that they made the handles/grips different on the 1090s than the ones on the 552s. They're squarish, and extremely rough.
    Team Northern Lights

I don't go to the gym because just looking is boring.

I go to brazillian jujitsu and taekwondo classes so I could... yeah, fight them.

Thread Information