+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: GyM rats

Addicted Member

Re: GyM rats

Yea, it's great to do once a week or even a couple times a month if you are able to, and it gets you so much stronger, you'll see your core lifts sky rocket!
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Yea, it's great to do once a week or even a couple times a month if you are able to, and it gets you so much stronger, you'll see your core lifts sky rocket!
    Yeah I did it for six weeks then didn't re sign up. During tax season it was just too hard to get there consistently. Since I started my new job I've still been bad. I never feel like going to the gym.

I can't go in the AM because I have to take care of my daughter, then after work, after dinner, after getting the baby to sleep, the last thing I want to do with my 2 free hours is spend 3/4 of it at the gym. It's bad I know.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    I agree with most of this but man planet fitness really is a piece of sh*t. It's great for obese people who wanna lose weight but for all the things you mentioned like getting into shape/building strength and muscle it's awful. I've seen more weightlifting equipment in high school gyms. The final straw for me was them not allowing deadlifts.
    I'm at PF, and approaching my last months. I'm tired of the bullcrap rules, and will undoubtedly go somewhere else. I go to 2 different PFs with my black card membership. The Orange City one is Nazi-esque with their rules. The location is literally about 10 mins away from my house. Daytona Beach is much more lenient, open 24 hours and close to my job. The Daytona location doesn't say anything when I do deadlifts or lunges with the barbell/plates. I tend to be torn on which location to go to on days off. If I have a lower body day I'm almost guaranteed to drive the 35 mins to Daytona.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2 View Post
    I'm at PF, and approaching my last months. I'm tired of the bullcrap rules, and will undoubtedly go somewhere else. I go to 2 different PFs with my black card membership. The Orange City one is Nazi-esque with their rules. The location is literally about 10 mins away from my house. Daytona Beach is much more lenient, open 24 hours and close to my job. The Daytona location doesn't say anything when I do deadlifts or lunges with the barbell/plates. I tend to be torn on which location to go to on days off. If I have a lower body day I'm almost guaranteed to drive the 35 mins to Daytona.

What PF really means by 'judgement free' is that they cater to the crowd they feel will make them the most money and have the poorest attendance.

People who do strength training 4-5 days a week simply aren't profitable when you're charging $10/month for memberships.
    28 in 2014

Addicted Member

agreed

Operation 28

This thread has really taken off well I see.

I finally found a top quality diet protein shake that doesn't taste of arse. Shame it's expensive as balls. You can't win.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post

I finally found a top quality diet protein shake that doesn't taste of arse. Shame it's expensive as balls. You can't win.
    It doesn't taste like ass, but is expensive as balls? Where the hell do you shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    It doesn't taste like ass, but is expensive as balls? Where the hell do you shop?
    Welcome to London.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Welcome to London.
    Hahaha

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Yeah I did it for six weeks then didn't re sign up. During tax season it was just too hard to get there consistently. Since I started my new job I've still been bad. I never feel like going to the gym.

I can't go in the AM because I have to take care of my daughter, then after work, after dinner, after getting the baby to sleep, the last thing I want to do with my 2 free hours is spend 3/4 of it at the gym. It's bad I know.
    It's what happens with kids. When the 3 of mine were little, I was so damn tired, I barely wanted to work out. When they got a bit older, I started running at 5:15am. It totally sucked but I had to do it and I met my friends in the morning who were in the same boat. It's a little easier now but not much. It's the price you pay when you work full time and have kids.

NYYF Legend

I am about to quit my gym membership @ Fitness First (Singapore). Can't stand it. It's right downstairs from my office which is awesome, but 9/10 of it is treadmills, ellipticals and stair climbers. They have 1 set of dumbells for each weight, one squat rack, one bench, one incline and a few free standing benches. Pretty much made for the expat crowd who just wants to run and generally stay in shape, which is fine, but def not enough for me.

I am going to switch it up and join the Evolve MMA gym down the street. I will be paying a bit more but I might as well learn something while I exercise and the Muay thai guys are all champs in Thailand and the BJJ portion has a bunch of Brazilian dudes in it from the Gracie gyms. The gym was also getting a bit repetitive for me since my lifting partner left so I'm just looking for a change of scenery. They also do this kettleball/heavy rope/TRX/Crossfit-movement session daily so that's how I will keep my strength up.

Will keep you all posted..

BTW, what is this Planet Fitness BS? I don't remember seeing any in NY.. no deadlifts? Pizza nights? What are a few of the other BS rules you guys are referring to?

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by chanman7483 View Post

BTW, what is this Planet Fitness BS? I don't remember seeing any in NY.. no deadlifts? Pizza nights? What are a few of the other BS rules you guys are referring to?
    PF is exactly the same as the first gym you described, 95% cardio equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    If space is an issue, I suggest buying a JC Band. Google it. It's just a big rubber band, but it can kick your a$$ if you utilize it properly. Under $20 too.

Didn't see that. That probably explains all the PMs from him in my inbox.
    I will check it out...I looked briefly between meetings at work and there were several including some sort of Predator model.

I may start using the gym at work - it's free and a lot of people go and they actually have trainers there. My two bosses use this place that has a personal trainer but it's a private gym - I don't think I can see spending that kind of money - but I don't love the idea of working out when I need to drop a few with people I work with. My friend Chris (who is huge and all muscle) was saying that nobody is there to check out other people and say "she needs to drop 20lbs" but still. he keeps trying to talk me into going - we'll see.

that may explain it. How many were from Linda?
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

What's the brand?

I've found that protein is basically protein, outside of soy. In other words, paying for expensive stuff is a bit overrated.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    It's what happens with kids. When the 3 of mine were little, I was so damn tired, I barely wanted to work out. When they got a bit older, I started running at 5:15am. It totally sucked but I had to do it and I met my friends in the morning who were in the same boat. It's a little easier now but not much. It's the price you pay when you work full time and have kids.
    It's nice that you have people who want to exercise/run too. If I had someone to motivate and push me, I would be out walking every morning.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

NYYF Legend

My supps:

Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex
    NO XPLODE - preworkout
    Ultra man multivitamins

Back when I used to play a lot of hoops and rugby, I took animal pak. It really, really makes a big difference.

NO XPLODE is good but I feel that the effects are wearing off. I'm building a tolerance. I'm like a crackhead now - I brew a cup of tea with 2 teabags in it and drop a scoop of no-xplode in before I play bball these days. That's my secret.

I'm going to start taking some omega 3's for the ligament component now that I'm doing the MMA.Prob should've started doing that a long time ago.

NYYF Legend

If you are tired of the grilled chicken and tuna diet like I am, I like to mix it up with some braised tofu and veggie stir fry. Literally just throw a big ass brick of tofu into your pan, some snap peas, onions, stir it around w/ some olive oil and put a few drops of light soy sauce in and you're golden.

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

If you are tired of the grilled chicken and tuna diet like I am, I like to mix it up with some braised tofu and veggie stir fry. Literally just throw a big ass brick of tofu into your pan, some snap peas, onions, stir it around w/ some olive oil and put a few drops of light soy sauce in and you're golden.
    that sounds pretty good except for the tofu part. especially the "big ass brick" of it. is this something that's an acquired taste? I tried it once and never again...it's a texture thing too - it's like cottage cheese for me. blech.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

Addicted Member

NO XPLODE is good but I feel that the effects are wearing off. I'm building a tolerance. I'm like a crackhead now - I brew a cup of tea with 2 teabags in it and drop a scoop of no-xplode in before I play bball these days. That's my secret.
    Try some Jack3d, or some m5 or c4 made by cellucor

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    that sounds pretty good except for the tofu part. especially the "big ass brick" of it. is this something that's an acquired taste? I tried it once and never again...it's a texture thing too - it's like cottage cheese for me. blech.
    Whoops. Actually, take the big ass brick and then chop it up into pieces. For the most part, tofu doesn't really have flavor. I get the braised tofu because the texture is very firm, although still soft. That's why you mix in different components such as snap/snow peas, which will give give you a nice crunch to offset the tofu's softness.

Also keep in mind the tofu takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked with, which is why I sweat out some onions and garlic in the pan before I start the tofu. Great protein, low carbs and fat... not much more you can ask for.

Sorry to keep going on about tofu, but what I'll also do is take nori (japanese seaweed) sheets, quarter them, and then scoop the tofu/veggies into one of them and eat it like a mini-fajita. You eat slower this way as you need to somewhat assemble your food, therefore allowing you to achieve fullness while eating less. Also adds additional crunch.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Try some Jack3d, or some m5 or c4 made by cellucor
    Thanks.. I'll check into that. The thing that sucks is that a lot of the ingredients in all of the above are banned here. I had to bring my no-xplode from the States.

Wish they brought back the ephedra!

Thanks.. I'll check into that. The thing that sucks is that a lot of the ingredients in all of the above are banned here. I had to bring my no-xplode from the States.

Wish they brought back the ephedra!
    Ephedra should stay banned. That stuff is not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    What's the brand?

I've found that protein is basically protein, outside of soy. In other words, paying for expensive stuff is a bit overrated.
    It's a British brand called Reflex and it's pretty big here. The protein is called diet protein as I'm still trying to lose weight to get to around 160 lbs walking weight so i can fight at 155lbs. Here is the protein

http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/prod...Protein-M.html

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    It's nice that you have people who want to exercise/run too. If I had someone to motivate and push me, I would be out walking every morning.
    See I'm the opposite. I want to just get in, do my workout and get out. I get bothered by people who stand around and chit chat at the gym. It's not a social club.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    See I'm the opposite. I want to just get in, do my workout and get out. I get bothered by people who stand around and chit chat at the gym. It's not a social club.
    I think Karen was talking about what she does for a work out and what I do for a workout which isn't at a gym.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    The woman you were walking with fizzeled out? You predicted that. Is there anyone else close-by?

Thread Information