+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GyM rats

Hybrid View

Addicted Member

GyM rats

So i figured i would throw it out there and see how many gym rats we had in the nyyfans family. Men and women alike talk about and share about anything to do with gyms, exercise's, supplements...anything to do with our lifestyle when not at the stadium or watching the game.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

Re: GyM rats

Gym Rats are the reason why I don't go to the gym.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

Addicted Member

well i'm sorry you feel that way, however i think that's just a lame excuse used to justify laziness
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    well i'm sorry you feel that way, however i think that's just a lame excuse used to justify laziness
    you're a lame excuse to justify laziness.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    you're a lame excuse to justify laziness.
    Basically, gym rats is just another term for ass holes. I don't need their judgement because I can only squat half the amount they do. I also enjoy eating the occasional cheeseburger and french fries as opposed to consuming protein shakes 7 meals a day.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Empire View Post
    Basically, gym rats is just another term for ass holes. I don't need their judgement because I can only squat half the amount they do. I also enjoy eating the occasional cheeseburger and french fries as opposed to consuming protein shakes 7 meals a day.
    Brah you can eat cheeseburger and french fries and tell em you're bulking.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

For a second, I thought this thread was about Gyn rats.

NYYF Legend

I like running on the machines and looking at the sweaty women. And then I stopped going because planet fitness is a piece of sh*t. When I get a job again I'll build my own gym with a power rack.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    I like running on the machines and looking at the sweaty women. And then I stopped going because planet fitness is a piece of sh*t. When I get a job again I'll build my own gym with a power rack.
    I have done this.

Power rack, bench, olympic set, medicine ball, JC resistance straps. Just got the bowflex adjustable dumbells (10-90lbs) on their annual clearance price, and already own a set of 100s.

All I need now is an adjustable plyo box, and I might build a suspension trainer out of chains, unless I get lazy and spend the $150 on a TRX.

No reason to go to a gym.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I have done this.

Power rack, bench, olympic set, medicine ball, JC resistance straps. Just got the bowflex adjustable dumbells (10-90lbs) on their annual clearance price, and already own a set of 100s.

All I need now is an adjustable plyo box, and I might build a suspension trainer out of chains, unless I get lazy and spend the $150 on a TRX.

No reason to go to a gym.
    Do you do a specific strength training program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5?

Don't know if I would be considered a gym rat as I go to a Martial arts gym to train Muay Thai. Only weights I use is a kettlebell rest of what I do is pure body weight exercises or I use a speed rope or medicine ball .

Love to run, could do it all the time.

Supplements am learning about them slowly. Currently take natural ones which are: Flaxseed oil, Cod Liver oil and L-Carnitine.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Do you do a specific strength training program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5?
    I have used 5x5, and it works. I'm not always using a specific program, because time constraints generally get in the way.

I do believe that using a program as much as possible is the way to go though. Good ones are built on progression, which can get lost when you're just winging it.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

I've done Strong Lifts and all I can say is BE CAREFUL! I've gotten back injuries, shoulder injuries, and knee injuries. The guy Mehdi is half fitness guru, half con artist, so take everything he writes very very critically. His main success is making you do Squats and doing no machines. He's 100% right on that. Free weights & exercises force you to develop balance and core strength. And the squat is the single best strength training exercise you can ever do.

Pull ups are the upper body version of squats, but most people new to them can't do a single pull up or chin up. And half assed PU/CU don't do you any good.

Where you'll get into real trouble are squat technique, deadlifts, and overhead press. He used to tell everyone to do ass to grass squats, but so many people blew out their knees he had to change his teachings. Now he tells you to go just below parallel and back up squeezing the quads & glutes, which is the right way to do them. But you need to practice your form or your could still hurt your knees and also your back.

Deadlifts are super dangerous if you don't do them right. And if you miss one or two workouts, DO NOT go up to the next weight because you'll probably pull something really bad in your lower back and take it from me recovery is over a year (if it ever gets 100% better). Now that I'm doing 5x5 stronglifts-like workouts again, I completely skip the deadlift and do other safer back training routines.

As for the overhead press, going up 5lbs every 2 workouts just wasn't working at all. It was too much weight for that range of motion. I recommend adding 2.5 lbs with microplates, and working on isolation exercises, not only for the shoulders, but also for your forearms & triceps to help you build up to complete pull ups or chin ups

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I have done this.

Do you know if that clearance is still going on?

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I joined a running group to try and shave time from my 5K. It's a running store that's sponsoring it but the person running it is an Adidas Rep. We'll see what happens with my next race. I'm pretty excited about it though - this week we are doing "ladders."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    Do you know if that clearance is still going on?
    It was on slickdeals.net. Not sure if it is.

But, the 552s go on a crazy sale for 250, sometimes with the stand, about four times a year.

The 1090s hit this once or twice a year. If you don't need them now, it's worth the wait.
    Team Northern Lights

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    For a second, I thought this thread was about Gyn rats.
    I was trying to figure out if the GyM spelling was significant...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    So i figured i would throw it out there and see how many gym rats we had in the nyyfans family. Men and women alike talk about and share about anything to do with gyms, exercise's, supplements...anything to do with our lifestyle when not at the stadium or watching the game.
    The wife designed and had a contractor build a work out room to her specs. We use it every AM and the kids and their friends use it in the PM.
    Expensive way to go but much better then a public or private gym infested with every germ, mold and spore know to mankind.

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

I need to get back into the gym. My sister and I share a membership to LA fitness. I have to ask my Personal Trainer friend what kind of stuff I should focus on to get into better shape.
    //fatty

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    I need to get back into the gym. My sister and I share a membership to LA fitness. I have to ask my Personal Trainer friend what kind of stuff I should focus on to get into better shape.
    //fatty
    Less food more exercise.

NYYF Legend

My mom used to swear by tiger balm for her aches and pains!

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    My mom used to swear by tiger balm for her aches and pains!
    When I moved back from university my mum took a tub of it from my room, she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    so, you're not charlie sheen then? j/k...glad it helped.
    Nope not Charlie Sheen, but I am born to win
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

Mr. Muhozi post shirtless pics of your self.

Mr. Muhozi post shirtless pics of your self.
    Not about to feed your homosexual tendencies, Sam. Sorry.

Thread Information