+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: GyM rats

NYYF Legend

Re: GyM rats

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    See I'm the opposite. I want to just get in, do my workout and get out. I get bothered by people who stand around and chit chat at the gym. It's not a social club.
    Amen - that's the reason I stopped going. I shouldn't have to say, "Excuse me" because somebody is running her mouth while leaning on a piece of equipement I want to use. I just have my own little workout routine at home now, which includes step aerobics.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by chanman7483 View Post
    Whoops. Actually, take the big ass brick and then chop it up into pieces. For the most part, tofu doesn't really have flavor. I get the braised tofu because the texture is very firm, although still soft. That's why you mix in different components such as snap/snow peas, which will give give you a nice crunch to offset the tofu's softness.

Also keep in mind the tofu takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked with, which is why I sweat out some onions and garlic in the pan before I start the tofu. Great protein, low carbs and fat... not much more you can ask for.

Sorry to keep going on about tofu, but what I'll also do is take nori (japanese seaweed) sheets, quarter them, and then scoop the tofu/veggies into one of them and eat it like a mini-fajita. You eat slower this way as you need to somewhat assemble your food, therefore allowing you to achieve fullness while eating less. Also adds additional crunch.
    I love tofu. I'm going to try that with the nori. I'll probably be the only one in the family who eats it, though.

See I'm the opposite. I want to just get in, do my workout and get out. I get bothered by people who stand around and chit chat at the gym. It's not a social club.
    I don't mean at the gym. Although when I did go with a friend to the gym, we used elliptical machines next to each other, but didn't talk much. Then we did weight machines near each other. But we did not stand around and chit chat.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I think Karen was talking about what she does for a work out and what I do for a workout which isn't at a gym.
    Right, I meant for walking. I don't like to walk alone around town or even at the high school track. It's boring to me. Just like you like to run with your running pals. It keeps you motivated that there are other people who like to do the same thing. I wish I had that.

When I do workout videos or Wii fit, I prefer to exercise alone.

The woman you were walking with fizzeled out? You predicted that. Is there anyone else close-by?
    Well, 'that' friend never worked out as far as walking. She wanted to bring her dog, who had to stop and sniff every 2 seconds, and she didn't like to walk as fast as my other friend. The other friend's work schedule is so crazy, she doesn't have a lot of time other than early mornings or late evenings and I guess she doesn't want to spend an hour cutting into her only free time.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

I had my first BJJ class today and wow it was amazing. Shame it was over so quickly. Such a technical sport with so much too learn. Tomorrow its stretching with my mate in the morning then Muay Thai in the evening.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    I had my first BJJ class today and wow it was amazing. Shame it was over so quickly. Such a technical sport with so much too learn. Tomorrow its stretching with my mate in the morning then Muay Thai in the evening.
    What did you start with?

I rolled last night. Did good in the beginners class, stayed for advanced and got destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah View Post
    What did you start with?

I rolled last night. Did good in the beginners class, stayed for advanced and got destroyed.
    Flexibility drills which I'm glad we did, then we went into guard passing. The different types of guards, how to get into them and when you don't have a dominant position how to get out of it. Time flew by then I rolled with the teacher for 5 minutes and got murdered and before you know it class was over.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I wish we lived closer Karen. I would love to walk a few times a week (in addition to my running).

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I have done this.

Power rack, bench, olympic set, medicine ball, JC resistance straps. Just got the bowflex adjustable dumbells (10-90lbs) on their annual clearance price, and already own a set of 100s.
    Do you know if that clearance is still going on?

NYYF Legend

I joined a running group to try and shave time from my 5K. It's a running store that's sponsoring it but the person running it is an Adidas Rep. We'll see what happens with my next race. I'm pretty excited about it though - this week we are doing "ladders."

NYYF Legend

Flexibility drills which I'm glad we did, then we went into guard passing. The different types of guards, how to get into them and when you don't have a dominant position how to get out of it. Time flew by then I rolled with the teacher for 5 minutes and got murdered and before you know it class was over.
    Flexibility is huge. I'm like 5'9 160 so just about everyone in the gym is bigger and stronger than me, but my flexibility saves me. I can sacrifice an arm for a key lock while working my way back to full guard.

Guard passing is tough. I've been doing it for 9 months and still struggle with it.

Flexibility is huge. I'm like 5'9 160 so just about everyone in the gym is bigger and stronger than me, but my flexibility saves me. I can sacrifice an arm for a key lock while working my way back to full guard.

Guard passing is tough. I've been doing it for 9 months and still struggle with it.
    Guard passing came rather easy to me today. I took everything in like a sieve, the coach was impressed.

I'm 5'11 and 170, long legs and ridiculously long arms for my height, which might be a problem unlike in Muay Thai that's an advantage. I've told I'm a big guy for 170 which is good as I'm still cutting to walk 165 and fight at 155. So with my big size I need the flexibility in order to do head kicks and get into the various uncomfortable positions BJJ has in store for me.

You learn a lot in 9 months right?

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

I work out at home. All you need is a barbell, some adjustable dumbells, and an irongym pull up bar, and a bench.

I lift Monday Wednesday friday and do HIIT cardio about twice a week on offdays.

I really want to get into a sport like BJJ or Muay Thai but I dont have the money for lessons right now. Definitely something on my to do list though when I get a solid job.

NYYF Legend

Guard passing came rather easy to me today. I took everything in like a sieve, the coach was impressed.

I'm 5'11 and 170, long legs and ridiculously long arms for my height, which might be a problem unlike in Muay Thai that's an advantage. I've told I'm a big guy for 170 which is good as I'm still cutting to walk 165 and fight at 155. So with my big size I need the flexibility in order to do head kicks and get into the various uncomfortable positions BJJ has in store for me.

You learn a lot in 9 months right?
    Learning the stuff isn't hard, it's executing it and executing it right. I can do triangles in my sleep. But I have a lot of trouble actually pulling them off.

Long arms and legs will help you break posture from the bottom easier. Your guard will be harder to break and triangle will be a littler easier.

It's amazing how much I have learned in such a short time. I rolled with a kid who had about 2 months of training and it was a slaughter. It's the little things, learning to control your breathing, learning to conserve energy, learning to take your time.

NYYF Legend

I wish we lived closer Karen. I would love to walk a few times a week (in addition to my running).
    That would be cool!

I saw a home exercise DVD system (Supreme 90 Day System) in a store flyer. It was $20 so I looked up online reviews. The ones I could find were good (not the site testimonials). It seems to be a similar idea to P90X. Of course, it's not exactly the same, but similar.

So I went to the store and it was marked $10. I got to the register and it rang up $20, so I showed her the label that said $10. The manager said it should be $20 but I can have it for $10.

Can't wait to try it!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    That would be cool!

I saw a home exercise DVD system (Supreme 90 Day System) in a store flyer. It was $20 so I looked up online reviews. The ones I could find were good (not the site testimonials). It seems to be a similar idea to P90X. Of course, it's not exactly the same, but similar.

So I went to the store and it was marked $10. I got to the register and it rang up $20, so I showed her the label that said $10. The manager said it should be $20 but I can have it for $10.

Can't wait to try it!
    That's cool and even if you don't like it for some reason at least it was only 10 bucks.

NYYF Legend

That's cool and even if you don't like it for some reason at least it was only 10 bucks.
    It's probably going to be too hard for me in the beginning, but you're supposed to just give it everything even if you can't keep up. It comes with a meal plan too, but I know there's no way I'll be able to follow that. We'll see. It's gotta be better than the little 15 minutes of exercise I've been doing 5 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    Do you know if that clearance is still going on?
    It was on slickdeals.net. Not sure if it is.

But, the 552s go on a crazy sale for 250, sometimes with the stand, about four times a year.

The 1090s hit this once or twice a year. If you don't need them now, it's worth the wait.
    Team Northern Lights

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post

that may explain it. How many were from Linda?

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

I need to get back into the gym. My sister and I share a membership to LA fitness. I have to ask my Personal Trainer friend what kind of stuff I should focus on to get into better shape.
    //fatty

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    I need to get back into the gym. My sister and I share a membership to LA fitness. I have to ask my Personal Trainer friend what kind of stuff I should focus on to get into better shape.
    //fatty
    Less food more exercise.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

Learning the stuff isn't hard, it's executing it and executing it right. I can do triangles in my sleep. But I have a lot of trouble actually pulling them off.

Long arms and legs will help you break posture from the bottom easier. Your guard will be harder to break and triangle will be a littler easier.

It's amazing how much I have learned in such a short time. I rolled with a kid who had about 2 months of training and it was a slaughter. It's the little things, learning to control your breathing, learning to conserve energy, learning to take your time.
    Taking my time something I can definitely learn. Breath control we learnt that in Muay Thai. I'm glad my long arms and legs won't be a hindrance, I was worried that would make me susceptible to limb subs.

It's a shame I can only go once a week as the other day they do it I have work. Going to talk to my boss to see if he can change my hours around for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Less food more exercise.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

So I actually got to the gym this morning. I like it because there's no meat heads there that early. When I go at 7pm it's Jersey Shore time. I hate that.

However, I hate the group of 5 ladies that babble about nonsense the entire time I'm there. I swear, this one woman just stood next to the elliptical talking to the girl that was using the elliptical for 20 minutes. I don't know why that bugs me so much, but it does.

Also, there's a guy there who depresses me. Every single time I'm there in the AM he's there. I also see his car there every morning. Basically he's there from 5-7am 6 days a week. Why does he depress me? Because he's there that long and has absolutely zero muscle tone. Also, he smells.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

I don't know why that bugs me so much, but it does.
    Because you hate women on a subconscious level.

Also, there's a guy there who depresses me. Every single time I'm there in the AM he's there. I also see his car there every morning. Basically he's there from 5-7am 6 days a week. Why does he depress me? Because he's there that long and has absolutely zero muscle tone. Also, he smells.
    He has no muscles because he works out 6 days a week. Also he probably doesn't eat enough.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

NYYF Legend

So I actually got to the gym this morning. I like it because there's no meat heads there that early. When I go at 7pm it's Jersey Shore time. I hate that.

However, I hate the group of 5 ladies that babble about nonsense the entire time I'm there. I swear, this one woman just stood next to the elliptical talking to the girl that was using the elliptical for 20 minutes. I don't know why that bugs me so much, but it does.

NYYF MVP

Also, he smells.
    Dude, it's a gym. Everybody smells.
    28 in 2014

Addicted Member

What does working out 6 days a week have to do with it? I work out different body parts everyday granted I am on a fairly strict clean bulking diet, but i would say I have above average muscle definition.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Thread Information