+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: GyM rats

NYYF Cy Young

Re: GyM rats

I guess I might be a gym rat. I go almost every day, probably averages out to 6 days a week. I'm a girl so I never did a lot of lifting until this past year, I usually just did 90 minutes of cardio. But now I've got some guns.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by MTYankee23 View Post
    The hypocritical part comes with a place like the Planet Fitness with their ever so wonderful commercials. How does that place claim to be a Judgment Free zone, and then create ads basically judging an entire portion of the gym going population? The fact that they ban deadlifting is absurd. The fact that they actually have Pizza Night is even worse.
    Probably helps maintain their consumer base, though!
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    I want to see shirtless pics of Linda.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The hypocritical part comes with a place like the Planet Fitness with their ever so wonderful commercials. How does that place claim to be a Judgment Free zone, and then create ads basically judging an entire portion of the gym going population? The fact that they ban deadlifting is absurd. The fact that they actually have Pizza Night is even worse.
    I agree with it being hypocritical but it's still a cool idea. I'm not someone who ever wanted to be huge. I went to the gym a long time to get in shape and be able to do things with strength and endurance. That was all. However I found it impossible to go without some meathead trying to tell me how I was doing it wrong or I need to get big or whatever. On top of that I had to be around these guys in love with themselves in front of the mirror, worried about nothing but their muscles and their tans. And f*ck those guys because I never met one I could get along with. Maybe I'm generalizing but whatever. I don't like that kind of vanity it is a terrible trait.

It may be a hypocritical stance and they are going about showing their gym the wrong way, but if I still went I'd want to go there. To be left alone to do what I want and work out with regular dudes who are probably doing the same thing I am. The idea of it is good they just present it poorly.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I know multiple people who have had success with this program. It's a big time commitment, though - 6 workouts a week, close to an hour.
    Yeah, I know a couple of people who started it. I don't know if they kept up with it. I know I would never be motivated enough to keep going.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Probably helps maintain their consumer base, though!
    It absolutely does. My problem with Planet Fitness is as a gym, not a business model. I'd never waste my money there (again), but if they can convince enough people to do so to make a profit, then all the power to them. They're no different than McDonald's, Coca-Cola, KFC, etc.

NYYF Legend

It absolutely does. My problem with Planet Fitness is as a gym, not a business model. I'd never waste my money there (again), but if they can convince enough people to do so to make a profit, then all the power to them. They're no different than McDonald's, Coca-Cola, KFC, etc.
    What is so bad about it as a gym? They offer a big variety of workout equipment at a very low price ($10-$20 per month). If someone can't afford a $90 a month gym membership, I think it makes a lot of sense.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I run 5-6x a week so that's my cardio. I really need to start doing some weight training or something.....I was about to join the gym my SIL goes to but he just raised his prices through the damn roof.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I agree with it being hypocritical but it's still a cool idea. I'm not someone who ever wanted to be huge. I went to the gym a long time to get in shape and be able to do things with strength and endurance. That was all. However I found it impossible to go without some meathead trying to tell me how I was doing it wrong or I need to get big or whatever. On top of that I had to be around these guys in love with themselves in front of the mirror, worried about nothing but their muscles and their tans. And f*ck those guys because I never met one I could get along with. Maybe I'm generalizing but whatever. I don't like that kind of vanity it is a terrible trait.

It may be a hypocritical stance and they are going about showing their gym the wrong way, but if I still went I'd want to go there. To be left alone to do what I want and work out with regular dudes who are probably doing the same thing I am. The idea of it is good they just present it poorly.
    I agree with most of this but man planet fitness really is a piece of sh*t. It's great for obese people who wanna lose weight but for all the things you mentioned like getting into shape/building strength and muscle it's awful. I've seen more weightlifting equipment in high school gyms. The final straw for me was them not allowing deadlifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

It's funny, because plenty of the "wrong" type of people go to Planet Fitness. And if they really wanted to get rid of that type of customer, in my opinion, they should ban curls, not deadlifts.

NYYF Legend

It's funny, because plenty of the "wrong" type of people go to Planet Fitness. And if they really wanted to get rid of that type of customer, in my opinion, they should ban curls, not deadlifts.
    Agreed, the PFs I went to were full of broscience douches.

NYYF Legend

How does a gym ban deadlifts anyway? Does your membership get terminated if they see you doing it?
    Crush it with your mind vice.

Agree totally on the hypocrisy of Planet Fitness. Judgement free zone, except from their perspective, where they judge constantly.

Perfect.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Empire View Post
    How does a gym ban deadlifts anyway? Does your membership get terminated if they see you doing it?
    They don't have barbells.

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    What is so bad about it as a gym? They offer a big variety of workout equipment at a very low price ($10-$20 per month). If someone can't afford a $90 a month gym membership, I think it makes a lot of sense.
    Lots of reasons. But again, this is my opinion on what I want from a gym. Where I train costs about $50/mo. The major differences:

1. Lots of power racks and free weights, almost no machines
    2. 40 yard strip of turf for sprinting, sled pushing, etc., 1 treadmill, 0 ellipticals
    3. Higher percentage of people there to train for something. For me, it pushes me to train harder. I was a member at Planet Fitness before, saw very few people training hard there. I know that sounds like judging, but it isn't. I don't think less of those people for not training hard. It might not be their thing.
    4. Actually think the members are more knowledgeable, friendlier, and more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    I agree with most of this but man planet fitness really is a piece of sh*t. It's great for obese people who wanna lose weight but for all the things you mentioned like getting into shape/building strength and muscle it's awful. I've seen more weightlifting equipment in high school gyms. The final straw for me was them not allowing deadlifts.
    Really. Well I haven't checked the place out so I'm only going by the commercial. That's weird they wouldn't have a decent facility.

You know what's also funny though if they DID have a good facility and got a bunch of beginners or people not married to the gym, you will eventually have a good portion of your customers probably turn into what got them to go there to begin with. I've seen it happen to a lot of people. They go from humble to obsessed because they start looking good and getting female attention they never had before.

I don't mean to offend anyone, I do have friends who are big and work out and they aren't like I explained. I just had a lot of really uncomfortable and aggravating encounters at my old gym and I got to the point of wearing my MP3 player and completely ignoring anyone who spoke to me.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

I agree with it being hypocritical but it's still a cool idea. I'm not someone who ever wanted to be huge. I went to the gym a long time to get in shape and be able to do things with strength and endurance. That was all. However I found it impossible to go without some meathead trying to tell me how I was doing it wrong
    Agree 100%.

Those types view everything in a body buliding type perspective. They harp on BS isolation exercises and worthless machines, and pay little attention to increasing functional strength.

Some of us actually want to be able to run, play golf, hit a softball, punch Sox fans in the ear, etc...
    Team Northern Lights

Lots of reasons. But again, this is my opinion on what I want from a gym. Where I train costs about $50/mo. The major differences:

1. Lots of power racks and free weights, almost no machines
    2. 40 yard strip of turf for sprinting, sled pushing, etc., 1 treadmill, 0 ellipticals
    3. Higher percentage of people there to train for something. For me, it pushes me to train harder. I was a member at Planet Fitness before, saw very few people training hard there. I know that sounds like judging, but it isn't. I don't think less of those people for not training hard. It might not be their thing.
    4. Actually think the members are more knowledgeable, friendlier, and more helpful.
    That was my gym to a tee, right down to the turf. 30 bucks a month. Then they moved to a new warehouse style building whose location didn't work for me.

That's what I'm trying to recreate it at home.
    Team Northern Lights

That was my gym to a tee, right down to the turf. 30 bucks a month. Then they moved to a new warehouse style building whose location didn't work for me.

That's what I'm trying to recreate it at home.
    The place is awesome. Strongman day (Tire Flipping, Sled pushing/pulling, rock wall climbing) is Saturday. Up until this facility, I wouldn't have even known gyms were open on weekends.

The place is awesome. Strongman day (Tire Flipping, Sled pushing/pulling, rock wall climbing) is Saturday. Up until this facility, I wouldn't have even known gyms were open on weekends.
    Sounds great, especially the rock wall.

Probably have sledge hammers, sand bags, battling ropes........

I'm probably going to buy the ropes too.
    Team Northern Lights

Happy Easter!!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

I have done this.

Power rack, bench, olympic set, medicine ball, JC resistance straps. Just got the bowflex adjustable dumbells (10-90lbs) on their annual clearance price, and already own a set of 100s.

All I need now is an adjustable plyo box, and I might build a suspension trainer out of chains, unless I get lazy and spend the $150 on a TRX.

No reason to go to a gym.
    It's great that you have the space I would much rather have something in my house than go out...I wanted to bring my treadmill with me when I bought this house but the only room for it was in the spare bedroom and they said it would ruin my cherry floors so I didn't bring it. I wanted to get an eliptical but I really wouldn't have a spot for it...

I much prefer doing a sport if I could..my goal is to be in good enough shape next spring to challeng the b/f in tennis. I used to be pretty good when I was in better shape and I'd have to be in GREAT shape to have a shot at taking him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    NerfBall I want to see shirtless pics of you.
    I noticed Nerf didn't address this.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    It's great that you have the space I would much rather have something in my house than go out...I wanted to bring my treadmill with me when I bought this house but the only room for it was in the spare bedroom and they said it would ruin my cherry floors so I didn't bring it. I wanted to get an eliptical but I really wouldn't have a spot for it...

I much prefer doing a sport if I could..my goal is to be in good enough shape next spring to challeng the b/f in tennis. I used to be pretty good when I was in better shape and I'd have to be in GREAT shape to have a shot at taking him.
    If space is an issue, I suggest buying a JC Band. Google it. It's just a big rubber band, but it can kick your a$$ if you utilize it properly. Under $20 too.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post

I noticed Nerf didn't address this.
    Didn't see that. That probably explains all the PMs from him in my inbox.
    Team Northern Lights

Addicted Member

My gym does strongman on Saturday mornings as well..its great, it really kicks your butt and works muscles one didn't even know they had.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

If space is an issue, I suggest buying a JC Band. Google it. It's just a big rubber band, but it can kick your a$$ if you utilize it properly. Under $20 too.

Didn't see that. That probably explains all the PMs from him in my inbox.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    My gym does strongman on Saturday mornings as well..its great, it really kicks your butt and works muscles one didn't even know they had.
    We have a class called Hardcore that I took that was like that.

Thread Information