+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2011-12 English Club Football/Soccer Thread

Okay folks,

It's time for another season of covering the Top 4 levels of the English Football Pyramid.

From transfers to the Npower Championship Playoff Finals, you can talk about the Barclays English Premier League, the Npower Football League, the FA Cup sponsored by E-On and the Carling Football League Cup.

Have at it!
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Re: 2011-12 English Club Football/Soccer Thread

BB55's Take - My reflection on the 2010-11 EPL season and what to look forward in the 2011-12 season

It was a banner year for the City of Manchester as both United and City had successful campaigns.

Manchester United knocked Liverpool off their English League title perch by winning their 19th title, 12th in the Premier League era.

The last two years, the football world said that United are not the "big bad swashbuckling United" we come to know.

But Sir Alex Ferguson, Wayne Rooney and company are still capable of winning silverware.

Since the departure of megastar winger Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2009, United had two near doubles.

In 2009-10, they won the Carling Football League Cup and came close to winning #19 in 2010 losing to Chelsea by one single point.

In 2010-11, they won their 19th English top-flight league title and went to the 2011 UEFA Champions League final before losing to Barcelona.

As for their noisy neighbors in Eastlands, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan not only has his UEFA Champions League football, Manchester City finished third to enter the 2011-12 UEFA Champions League group stages and also their first trophy win in 35 years when they beat Stoke City in the 2011 FA Cup final.

Despite the Carlos Tevez saga, the enigmatic Mario Balotelli and Roberto Mancini being "negative" with the team's football style, City had a magnificent season.

While the city of Manchester had their successful season, it was a forgettable season for London's two top clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Chelsea stormed out of the blocks and it looked like they're going to repeat as EPL champions.

However, the Ray Wilkins sacking in November 2010, the disappointment half-season of Fernando Torres and going trophyless cost Carlo Ancelotti his job.

I question Roman Abramovich's lack of stability with Chelsea. He really wants his UEFA Champions League trophy in his resume, but even though Chelsea has been successful in the EPL, FA Cup and also won a League Cup, it's like "you better win the UEFA Champions League or you're outta here" at Stamford Bridge.

I just think losing Jose Mourinho in 2007 will cost Roman and Chelsea and it has. It's like Real Madrid rotating coaches since Florentino Perez sacked Vicente del Bosque in 2004.

Meanwhile, it was a finish to forget for Arsene Wenger and Arsenal. In February, the Gunners had a chance to win four trophies.

However, since losing in the Carling Cup final to Birmingham City in late February due to a defensive error which allowed Obfemi Martins to score the winner and combined that with injuries to key players, Arsenal went downhill, became trophyless for the sixth straight year and finished fourth which means they have to qualify for the 2011-12 UEFA Champions League.

As for other London clubs it has been a mixed bag both domestically and European wise for Tottenham Hotspur. In Europe, they made it to the Top 8 of the UEFA Champions League.

The bad news for Harry Redknapp and Spurs, given they have lack of quality depth, they sputtered in EPL play.

Fulham? What a finish to the season Mark Hughes had and they're back in the UEFA Europa League.

West Ham United? They really need a mega reality check. It baffles me to see the Hammers board keep Avram Grant for an entire season.

Here's what I said after they were relegated by Wigan Athletic.
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7228043

I think West Ham United should do a Leeds United and relegate to the third tier and start from scratch.

Their board is a joke and they need an owner and chairman who can give them tough love like Ken Bates did with Leeds.
    It's going to be really difficult for the Hammers to get back to the top-tier in the Npower Championship. They're not going to do what Newcastle United did in 2009-10. The Magpies had a manager ready to go in Chris Hughton (thanks to Mike Ashley having a quarter-of-a-brain for once).

I think the Hammers should go with Hughton, but even then, the 2011-12 Npower Championship has a lot of teams vying for EPL promotion like Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Reading, Southampton Queens Park Rangers, Norwich City, Cardiff City, Leicester City, Burnley and Millwall. So, it will be very tough for West Ham to get back to the Premiership after one season because that's a heavy hitting lineup right there.

The same thing can be said for Birmingham City where Carson Yeung and Vico Hui are giving Alex McLeish one more chance to keep his job by sending the St. Andrews Blues back to the EPL after one season. However, given the lack of scoring options, McLeish is sitting on the sun.

Talking about win-win situations, both Liverpool and Roy Hodgson did well without the two being together.

Liverpool had another trophyless season, but were revived with the Fenway Sports Group (aka New England Sports Ventures) takeover from Tom Hicks and George Gillett and the return of their Anfield King, Kenny Dalglish.

Despite selling star striker Fernando Torres and captain Steven Gerrard injured, Dalglish, FSG and Liverpool brought in Ajax Amsterdam goalhawking captain Luis Suarez and towering striker Andy Carroll from Newcastle United and also giving some playing time to some of their LFC Youth Academy players like Jay Spearing and Martin Kelly which elevated Liverpool's play and took Liverpool from 12th to 6th.

No European Football for Liverpool in 2011-12, but Dalglish and company can focus on going back to the Top 4.

As for Hodgson, well, the former Fulham and Liverpool manager took West Bromwich Albion who had a poor run of form under Roberto Di Matteo where he saw the Baggies lose 13 of their previous 18 matches and took them to an 11th place finish.

Having Peter Odemwingie scoring 15 goals and captain Chris Brunt does help.

Finally, the relegation finish is one of the dramatic moments I've ever seen. Mick McCarthy's Wolverhampton Wanderers survived by the skin of their teeth. Ditto for Steve Kean and Blackburn Rovers and Roberto Martinez and Wigan Athletic.

I think Wigan is the next 1990s Southampton, hanging around the drop zone and then escaping.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 05-31-11 at 08:08 AM.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Well the greatest English player of all time has just retired. Christ this is depressing.

For those of you who don't know who I am talking about it its Paul Scholes

SAF: "One of the greatest football brains Manchester United has ever had."

Roy Keane: "No celebrity bull................, no self promotion - an amazingly gifted player who remained an unaffected human being."

Sir Bobby Charlton: "I love watching little Paul Scholes, hes so in control of what hes doing and is always so accurate and pinpoint with his passing its just beautiful to watch."

Glenn Hoddle: "There isn't a player of his mould anywhere in the world."

Rio: "For me, it's Paul Scholes. He'll do ridiculous things in training like say, "You see that tree over there?" - it'll be 40 yards away - "I'm going to hit it". And he'll do it. Everyone at the club considers him the best."

George Best: "England have lost their best player."

Laurent Blanc: "I tell anyone who asks me Scholes is the best English player."

Micah Richards: "I think we were all disappointed because we all know what he can do. He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Peter Schmeichel: "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is. For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed. If he is having a bad game, a teammate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. These days he doesn't get into the box too many times, which is where you can see his age, but he has developed tactically. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Edgar Davids: "Everyone of us should emulate him. We can all learn from Paul Scholes."

Zidane: "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation."

Lippi: "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. An all-round midfielder who possesses quality and character in abundance."

Thierry Henry: "Without any doubt the best player in the Premiership has to be Scholes. He knows how to do everything, and he is one who directs the way his team plays. On top of that, he has indestructible mental strength and he is a genuine competitor."

Rooney: "He's unbelievable - he's one of the greatest of all time." [17]

Sir Bobby Charlton: "I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It's Paul Scholes. Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley. When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He's always on the ball, always turning on goal. He's always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill."

Zidane: "There is no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own. Hes almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career."

Jose Mourinho: Why isnt he playing for England? It is crazy. Only in England. Scholes is a great, great player. So experienced and still, for me, one of the best in the world in midfield. Manchester United are lucky to have him.

Xabi Alonso: "Fans in Spain rate him very highly and I admire him a huge amount."

Nani: "Hes the best midfielder Ive ever seen. He can pass, score goals with his left, right, his head he can do anything. And he can beat a player too, plus he loves to nutmeg you! He's unbelievable."

Arsene Wenger: "He did not get completely what he deserves as a player because hes not a media lion. Hes not one who runs after the media to be in the papers. I respect that."

Ian Holloway: "When he passes the ball it stays passed. The ball goes exactly where he wants it to. I have always loved him for that. I played against him once or twice and he is an absolute genius. He is a role model for anyone who wants to play football. He is a joy to watch. In fact, I wish he was 21, then I could see his career all over again." (I personally love this one!)

Ryan Giggs: "Id go for Scholesy as the clubs greatest ever player. Ive seen him do things that no other player can do. The way he can control the tempo of games, and his range of passing, are both incredible. Weve seen over the years that players just havent been able to get near him. And you cant forget his goals either."

Alan Hanson: "He is one of the top three to five players to have ever played in the Premier League - his passing, movement and technique set examples to everyone, not just younger players."

Xavi: "To me Paul is a role model. He is the best midfielder Ive seen in the last 15 or 20 years."

Cesc Fabregas: For any football player in the Premiership, Scholes is a player you want to emulate. One player does not make a team but there is no doubt that the presence of some players add extra motivation and confidence. Scholes is a player with character and is capable of transmitting that mental strength to his team-mates."
    Thank You Scholes :'(
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

BB55's Take: The Retirement of Paul Scholes

Paul Scholes is one of the best midfielders in the game.

One of the most beautiful players to watch on the pitch. His control and pin-point passing was a beauty to watch.

Scholesy is also a clutch goalscorer too where he can blast the ball into the back of the net with either foot and he has a pretty good header.

He isn't the best tackling midfielder as evident in his disciplinary record in both EPL and UEFA Champions League play (90 yellows, 4 reds in EPL; 32 yellows in UCL), but his attacking skills and creative bite offset that.

I'll never forget his laserbeam strikes especially the one in the 14th minute of the 2008 UCL SF second leg clash against Barcelona at Old Trafford.

It won't be easy for Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United to find someone who can succeed Scholesy whether it's from within like Tom Cleverley, Anderson, Michael Carrick or Darron Gibson or someone from the outside like Wesley Sneijder, Luka Modric or Javier Pastore.

BB55's Take: Manchester United transfer preview

For Manchester United: With Paul Scholes and Edwin van der Sar retiring, United do need an experienced and proven goalkeeper, two midfielders: one for creative bite who can also play a 2-way game and one holding, ballwinning midfielder for depth as the main targets for Sir Alex Ferguson.

I keep hearing that United will sign Atletico Madrid GK David de Gea, but at age 20, is he ready to be the quality first choice keeper at United? It is kind of like the Tim Howard situation where Howard was signed in 2003 and had a great start, but when things got tough, he wasn't mentally stable and never recovered. The last minute error against Porto in the second leg of the 2004 R16 clash where United were on their way via away goals until Costinha scored in the 90th minute shattered his confidence and even though he picked up a 2004 FA Cup medal, he wasn't the same due to making several errors.

I think Fergie should go after Ajax Amsterdam's Maarten Stekelenburg or Lyon's Hugo Lloris as van der Sar's successor.

As for midfield, with Scholes retiring, Fergie needs creative bite in midfield. Sure, United have Anderson, Darron Gibson and Michael Carrick, but they're not world beaters.

I read an Daily Mail article that Aston Villa winger/second striker Ashley Young is getting closer to join United.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...er-United.html

United are also haunting Udinese's Alexis Sanchez.

Unless they convert Young or Sanchez to a central midfielder, United have too many wingers. They already have Antonio Valencia, Nani, Ji-Sung Park and Ryan Giggs so I wonder how will Fergie will fit Young into the mix if the deal is finalized.

Fergie should get natural-born central midfielders like Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder, Tottenham Hotspur's Luka Modric, Napoli's Marek Hamsik or Palermo's Javier Pastore. If United doesn't get Sneijder, go after Modric who is the same player as Scholesy without the goal scoring, but can also win back possession since he's a better tackler.

I also think United need another defensive/holding/ball-winning midfielder for depth.
    Why? Just in case Darren Fletcher gets hurt or suspended, Fergie has another holding midfielder up on his sleeve like a combination of a healthy Owen Hargreaves and Fletch in 2008. United has been zeroing in on Everton's Jack Rodwell, who can also roam in attack like Fletch does. I don't want to see Carrick playing in front of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic again. Holding midfielder is NOT Carrick's natural position.

As for strikers, I think they're set with Federico Macheda, Mame Biram Diouf and Danny Welbeck coming back on loan, but what happens if Dimitar Berbatov decides to leave after Fergie snubbed him out of the 2011 UEFA Champions League final squad and also Michael Owen? Then, United need to go after a striker like Porto's Hulk or Radamel Falcao or even Sanchez.

In defense, Chris Smalling, Fabio, Rafael and John O'Shea will be back, but I think Wes Brown and Jonny Evans are on the chopping block. However, who will replace Brown and Evans?

It says everything about Paul Scholes that he had to turn away Lionel Messi, Xavi, Pedro and Sergio Busquets who wanted his shirt the other night because Andres Iniesta had already nabbed it! A complete midfielder, and like Roy Keane, a man whose boots United will struggle to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Well the greatest English player of all time has just retired. Christ this is depressing.

For those of you who don't know who I am talking about it its Paul Scholes
    Terrific player , Paul . No doubt about that , and maybe the best of modern times . But ever ? The likes of Moore , Matthews , Finney , Charlton , Lofthouse and Wright - and more - might have something to say about that.

Best I've seen in my life time was Bobby Moore . No question ( I was reminded of this recently , watching a re-run of the England/Brazil clash during the '70 World Cup and nobody had a better game that day than Moore , not Pele , nor any of the other great Brazilians , not even Gordon Banks , that great save and all ) . The man was pure class - and he could tackle

NYYF HOF

United are definitely going to have a tough run of it next year. New GK and Scholes gone; sad day.

However; it remains to be seen what SAF can pull out in the transfer market. He has been searching for value recently (see Chicarito/Owen) and seems to have gotten it. Is it because the Glazers have strapped the squad?

I believe from a midfield perspective United needs a splash; overpaying for someone just to show they still can and will.

What about Berba? I disagreed with leaving him off the pitch for the final; and it may be that he is now on his way out as well.

Too many questions right now for me to feel confidant about an EPL title for next year.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    United are definitely going to have a tough run of it next year. New GK and Scholes gone; sad day.

However; it remains to be seen what SAF can pull out in the transfer market. He has been searching for value recently (see Chicarito/Owen) and seems to have gotten it. Is it because the Glazers have strapped the squad?

I believe from a midfield perspective United needs a splash; overpaying for someone just to show they still can and will.

What about Berba? I disagreed with leaving him off the pitch for the final; and it may be that he is now on his way out as well.

Too many questions right now for me to feel confidant about an EPL title for next year.
    Should Dimitar Berbatov go, Sir Alex Ferguson will have a lot of money to use.

Berba while very good with holding the ball is not that fast and despite winning the shared Golden Boot with Carlos Tevez, it's hard to read the Bulgarian striker when he scores 5 goals against Blackburn Rovers and then go on a 3-game goalless streak and then bag a hat trick.

Here's my transfer preview
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7243222

Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Humph View Post
    Terrific player , Paul . No doubt about that , and maybe the best of modern times . But ever ? The likes of Moore , Matthews , Finney , Charlton , Lofthouse and Wright - and more - might have something to say about that.

Best I've seen in my life time was Bobby Moore . No question ( I was reminded of this recently , watching a re-run of the England/Brazil clash during the '70 World Cup and nobody had a better game that day than Moore , not Pele , nor any of the other great Brazilians , not even Gordon Banks , that great save and all ) . The man was pure class - and he could tackle
    I agree with you Humph. I had a lot of respect for Paul Scholes, but no way was he the all-time best English player.

BB55's Take: Manchester City transfer preview

Should Manchester City keep spending?

Well, with Michel Platini's UEFA Financial Fair Play rules coming into play in 2012, I highly doubt Roberto Mancini and the City brass will make bigger splashes like they had in the last two years.

Even if Carlos Tevez leaves Eastlands, City has to be really careful on their spending.

I think City can develop some more players from their youth ranks and bring them up to the senior team. They already have Micah Richards, Vladimr Weiss and Dedryck Boyata.

Basically, I don't think City need to tweak much. I think they have the squad that is capable of handling both the domestic and European competitions.

BB55's Take: The Top 3 London Clubs transfer preview: Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea

Arsenal:
    Arsene Wenger needs to spend the cash in order for Arsenal to compete for silverware all year long and win them.

I think Wenger should dump Cesc Fabregas.

Why? You already have Samir Nasri, Jack Wilshire and Aaron Ramsey at central midfield.

I don't see Cesc Fabregas being relegated to a holding midfielder role. The Gunners should've selled Fabregas back to Barcelona to strengthen their team at 40 million Euros last summer. They should go back to that.

With that money, Wenger should get another physical central defender like a Brede Hangeland or Gary Cahill for depth just in case Thomas Vermaelen gets hurt again, another enforcer at central midfield to compliment Alex Song and see Wilshire push forward like Scott Parker or Charlie Adam and also a central striker so that you don't have to rely on Robin van Persie as your central striker like Porto's Radamel Falcao or Real Madrid's Karim Benzema.

They can also more depth in the left side like Everton's Leighton Baines. Gael Clichy can cause problems with his mental lapses and Kieran Gibbs is injury prone.

Chelsea:
    Meanwhile at Stamford Bridge, Roman Abramovich has more questions than answers. The Russian billionaire owner needs a new manager.

I also think when Roman hires a new manager, stabilize that position. Since Jose Mourinho left Stamford Bridge, Chelsea went through five managers including Guus Hiddink and Carlo Ancelotti. The way that Roman keeps changing managers, it's like Real Madrid again.

How will Chelsea revamp their aging squad? Well, for starters they really need to use their youth system. Daniel Sturridge, Gal Kakuta and Ryan Bertrand is a start, but they need more.

They can also spend to get youth talent like Neymar.

I think Roman needs to focus on getting a manager and stabilize that position and also find ways to rotate their squad.

Tottenham Hotspur:
    In the White and Blue Half of North London, Harry Redknapp and Tottenham Hotspur need reinforcements especially on goalkeeper, defense and attack.

Gomes is an adventure in goal. He can make some good saves and then make incredible headscratching howlers.

I recommend Redknapp and Spurs going after Everton's Tim Howard, Wigan Athletic's Ali Al Habsi, Manchester City's Shay Given, Ajax Amsterdam's Maarten Stekelenburg or Birmingham City's Ben Foster.

As for defense and attack, they need depth especially with Luka Modric and Roman Roman Pavlyuchenko possibly leaving White Hart Lane.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 06-01-11 at 04:00 PM.

BB55's Take: Liverpool transfer preview

The Fenway Sports Group (aka New England Sports Ventures) takeover from Tom Hicks and George Gillett and the return of their Anfield King, Kenny Dalglish have really changed the fortunes in Anfield for Liverpool FC.

They have Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll replacing tropical depression Fernando Torres and they're resurrecting their famed youth system led by Martin Kelly, John Flanagan, Jack Robinson, Raheem Sterling and Jay Spearing.

Dalglish and company still need to dip in the transfer market though.

I think LFC needs a winger or wing back especially on the left side that can supply crosses for the aerialist Carroll.

Maybe Ashley Young or Jose Enrique can work.

And I think Liverpool need a ballwinning central midfielder to compliment Steven Gerrard. They haven't had one since Xabi Alonso left. Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing and Scott Parker are my Top 3 choices.

BB55's Take: The Football League 2011-12 season

It should be another crazy and dicey season jocking for promotion positions in the Npower Championship.

It will be really tough for West Ham United, Birmingham City and Blackpool to get back to the Premiership.

It's so wide open.

Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Reading, Southampton, Hull City, Cardiff City, Leicester City, Burnley and Millwall: that's a nasty lineup for the Hammers, the St. Andrews Blues and the Tangerines to get back to the top flight.

As for Npower League 1, Huddersfield Town leads the charge for promotion. I don't see how both Sheffield clubs, the Blades of Sheffield United and the Owls of Sheffield Wednesday are going to cope in their tenure at the third level.

Finally at Npower League 2, how well were AFC Wimbledon perform in their Football League debut? It should be a treat.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 05-31-11 at 09:40 PM.

Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    BB55's Take: The Top 3 London Clubs transfer preview: Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea

Arsenal:
    Arsene Wenger needs to spend the cash in order for Arsenal to compete for silverware all year long and win them.

I think Wenger should dump Cesc Fabregas.

Why? You already have Samir Nasri, Jack Wilshire and Aaron Ramsey at central midfield.

I don't see Cesc Fabregas being relegated to a holding midfielder role. The Gunners should've selled Fabregas back to Barcelona to strengthen their team at 40 million GBP last summer. They should go back to that.

With that money, Wenger should get another physical central defender like a Brede Hangeland or Gary Cahill for depth just in case Thomas Vermaelen gets hurt again, another enforcer at central midfield to compliment Alex Song and see Wilshire push forward like Scott Parker or Charlie Adam and also a central striker so that you don't have to rely on Robin van Persie as your central striker like Porto's Radamel Falcao or Real Madrid's Karim Benzema.

They can also more depth in the left side like Everton's Leighton Baines. Gael Clichy can cause problems with his mental lapses and Kieran Gibbs is injury prone.
    Well written, as always BB55. Let me respond, if I can.

First, Arsene will be forced to spend this coming summer. With Kroenke in charge, I think he will change Arsene's view of spending cash. I doubt he will go overboard like Citeh, but I think he will be shrewd a la ManUre.

As for Cesc, as much as I love him as a Gunner, now would be the time for him to go back to Spain. I don't think 40 million will be his value, but he'll get something in return. Barca is bordering on desperation on getting Cesc since Arsene has now pinched two 16 year olds from the youth academy.

As for Nasri, I think he will leave the Emirates. Maybe not this summer, but most def. next summer. Jack Wilshere is the future of the Gunners, and along with Ramsey bouncing back from injury, the CM position looks bright for us.

As for D, that is our biggest problem. Players like Denilson and Clichy look ready to leave the Emirates. I wouldn't mind if both players left. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Squillaci either. If I were in charge, I would love to pic up Falcao from Porto or Diarra from Bordeaux. We need fullbacks who will play a brand of smart, physical footie. I wish I had more time to type, but the kids are dragging me away to play...

Bye bye Villa Park: Gerard Houllier set for Aston Villa exit
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13599979.stm
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 06-01-11 at 04:57 PM.

West Ham United set to hire Sam Allardyce as Hammer boss
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...961313,00.html

NYYF Triple Crown

Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Reading, Southampton, Hull City Queens Park Rangers, Norwich City, Cardiff City, Leicester City, Burnley and Millwall: that's a nasty lineup for the Hammers, the St. Andrews Blues and the Tangerines to get back to the top flight.
    Queens Park Rangers and Norwich City earned promotion to the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Queens Park Rangers and Norwich City earned promotion to the Premier League.
    Fixed it. Thank you Evan.

I got typing happy.

Staying put at Sir Matt Busby Way: Michael Owen re-signs with Manchester United on one-year deal
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...961725,00.html

NYYF Legend

Arsenal:
    Agreed, enough is enough. The youth movement is promising but not experienced enough to carry Arsenal when the main guys are injured or in need of rest. My ideal transfers in are Sakho, Mbia, and a striker - I'd love it if Arsene would bring in Samuel Eto'o for a season or two but that's probably a fantasy so it would be Falcao, or maybe Kevin Gameiro.

I think Wenger should dump Cesc Fabregas. Why? You already have Samir Nasri, Jack Wilshire and Aaron Ramsey at central midfield.
    With all due respect and as long as Cesc doesn't issue a transfer request, I think you're crazy, unless Arsenal are getting at least 50 million for him. Barcelona can take their lowball 29 million offer and eat the paper it was faxed on.

Arsene should sell Bendtner, Denilson, and Arshavin.

Nasri, Wilshere, Ramsey, none of them are vastly experienced players in their mid 20s who see the game and pass the ball like Cesc. He had an off year, but let's not underestimate the effect he has on games.

The Gunners should've selled Fabregas back to Barcelona to strengthen their team at 40 million GBP last summer. They should go back to that.
    It was 29 million...40 may have been good enough to get Barcelona a seat at the table. They offered only 5 million more than what they paid for Thierry Henry, who was 7 years older and in the twilight of his career. If they want Cesc that badly, pay up.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S. View Post
    Agreed, enough is enough. The youth movement is promising but not experienced enough to carry Arsenal when the main guys are injured or in need of rest. My ideal transfers in are Sakho, Mbia, and a striker - I'd love it if Arsene would bring in Samuel Eto'o for a season or two but that's probably a fantasy so it would be Falcao, or maybe Kevin Gameiro.
    I would like Falcao in Arsenal. You can partner him with Robin van Persie or Marouane Chamakh.

With all due respect and as long as Cesc doesn't issue a transfer request, I think you're crazy, unless Arsenal are getting at least 50 million for him. Barcelona can take their lowball 29 million offer and eat the paper it was faxed on.

Arsene should sell Bendtner, Denilson, and Arshavin.

Nasri, Wilshere, Ramsey, none of them are vastly experienced players in their mid 20s who see the game and pass the ball like Cesc. He had an off year, but let's not underestimate the effect he has on games.
    But in order to upgrade the squad, you do need to sell Cesc Fabregas, Denilson, Nicklas Bendtner and Andrey Arshavin.

You have a lot of creativity with Samir Nasri, Jack Wilshire and Aaron Ramsey there.

It was 29 million...40 may have been good enough to get Barcelona a seat at the table. They offered only 5 million more than what they paid for Thierry Henry, who was 7 years older and in the twilight of his career. If they want Cesc that badly, pay up.
    I meant to say Euros, not GBP. My mistake.

NYYF Legend

[QUOTE]
    I would like Falcao in Arsenal. You can partner him with Robin van Persie or Marouane Chamakh.
    Yeah, he'd be ideal. Not sure how it would work with the lone striker formations Arsene likes, but you know what, maybe it's time to shake it up some.

But in order to upgrade the squad, you do need to sell Cesc Fabregas, Denilson, Nicklas Bendtner and Andrey Arshavin.

You have a lot of creativity with Samir Nasri, Jack Wilshire and Aaron Ramsey there.
    Of the three, I think Jack Wilshere can be the one to replicate Cesc. But he's still only 19. Cesc is vastly more experienced than him, and that's something Arsenal are clearly in need of. And Nasri still has yet to sign a contract...his future at Arsenal is more in doubt than Cesc's at the moment. Were he to be transferred, he'd command quite a large fee.

I meant to say Euros, not GBP. My mistake.
    Oh ok. either way, it was a lowball, insulting offer and reports indicate that BArcelona don't intend to raise it. They act like Arsenal owes them a discount.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Blackburn Rovers fan auctioning Wayne Rooney's penalty spot
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...y-spot?cc=5901

Thread Information