+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Chris Dickerson performance thread

Nice interview with Kim Jones on the BP show. He seems like a class act.

Great display all round against the Mets. The guys got a lot more speed than I was expecting to see which put alongside Gardner and Granderson in the OF is just awesome. Confident at the plate and managed to get on base which we have been struggling to do. At the moment I would definitely continue to play this Guy ahead of Swisher!
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo_88 View Post
    Great display all round against the Mets. The guys got a lot more speed than I was expecting to see which put alongside Gardner and Granderson in the OF is just awesome. Confident at the plate and managed to get on base which we have been struggling to do. At the moment I would definitely continue to play this Guy ahead of Swisher!
    As I wrote a couple of days ago on another thread, I would platoon Dickerson with Swisher for the forseeable future, using Dickerson against righties and Swisher against lefties. I have no idea if Dickerson will hit enough to be able to stay in the lineup but he has looked pretty good in the limited play he has gotten. Anyway Swisher has been such a disaster batting left handed almost anybody else out there against righties would have to be an improvement.

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

Every time I see him play for us, he makes an impact somehow, he's an intangible player, an x-factor, that 8 run inning was mostly caused b/c of him, the bunt guarding on Cisco, the rushed pitch to Jetes for the 40 hopper w/ Reyes playing behind Dickerson, his speed + Gardener's on the basepaths changed this game.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

NYYF Triple Crown

If I were Dickerson and I didn't get called up to replace Rodriguez going on the DL (the Yankees already have Pena as a sub infielder) I would be annoyed. Dickerson's OPS of .764 this season and .760 for his career combined with his speed (7 triples, 21 stolen bases, and a 77.8% stolen base percentage for his career in less than a full season of plate appearances for a starter plus eight pinch-running appearances) I think should be worthy of being a starter on many teams and at least a bench player on every team. It may be a small sample size, but I would think there would be good MLB players who were worse than Dickerson through the same amount of career plate appearances which is 550.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    If I were Dickerson and I didn't get called up to replace Rodriguez going on the DL (the Yankees already have Pena as a sub infielder) I would be annoyed. Dickerson's OPS of .764 this season and .760 for his career combined with his speed (7 triples, 21 stolen bases, and a 77.8% stolen base percentage for his career in less than a full season of plate appearances for a starter plus eight pinch-running appearances) I think should be worthy of being a starter on many teams and at least a bench player on every team. It may be a small sample size, but I would think there would be good MLB players who were worse than Dickerson through the same amount of career plate appearances which is 550.
    Chris Dickerson and Sam Fuld are basically the same player (check their minors numbers, ages, defensive profile, etc.). Fuld is playing virtually full-time in Tampa now and is being exposed. So would Fuld. Dickerson/Fuld is basically the player that many skeptical people thought Gardner would be---but Gardner has contact rates, plate discipline, speed, etc. Dickerson is a solid 4th OFer---no doubt---but not a starter on a good team.
    like delv, but better

NYYF Triple Crown

Fuld's OPS is .650 this season and .673 in his career. Both of those are much worse than Dickerson.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Fuld's OPS is .650 this season and .673 in his career. Both of those are much worse than Dickerson.
    which is why I said that you should look at their minors numbers. their major league numbers are both pretty small samples.
    like delv, but better

Forum Regular

I still think Golson is better than Dickerson, particularly with the way his hitting has improved at Scranton this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStraw View Post
    I still think Golson is better than Dickerson, particularly with the way his hitting has improved at Scranton this year.
    agree. i wasn't a fan of his OBP in the past, but he really does have a good amount of pop, especially from the right side, and he's still quite young. I hope they make him 4th OFer next year.
    like delv, but better

Chris Dickerson is now on twitter

@CDickerson_PFTP

NYYF Legend

Figured I would re-boot this thread, since it doesn't have a year in the title.

Anyone think he should take Granderson's place for a couple more games even if Granderson is feeling better?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Figured I would re-boot this thread, since it doesn't have a year in the title.

Anyone think he should take Granderson's place for a couple more games even if Granderson is feeling better?
    Don't we have superstar Andruw Jones available? Why bring in a non-superstar?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Actually he's a huge upgrade over the August version of Granderson. That's especially true on defense. Why wasn't he called up earlier? One can only ask "Mr. pajama bottoms."
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Triple Crown

He is an upgrade over a lot of the stiffs in the lineup today.

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    He is an upgrade over a lot of the stiffs in the lineup today.
    As was Dewanye Wise.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Actually he's a huge upgrade over the August version of Granderson. That's especially true on defense. Why wasn't he called up earlier? One can only ask "Mr. pajama bottoms."
    When Granderson looked like he'd gotten hurt, I honestly didn't care.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

He was great in the 8-5 loss Monday. So Joe decides to PH for him.
    For Heaven's sake Girardi. Give the guy a break.

Even with Ichiro hitting and Ibanez heating up again at the plate, Girardi needs to give him some more playing time. He might contribute against RHed pitching in the playoffs and unlike Ibanez, he can field well.

He definitely needs to be on the roster over Gardner.

It's too bad he was hurt much of the season and didn't have a chance to come up earlier and show his stuff or else I don't even think it'd be a question as to whether or not he should be in the playoffs. I hope he gets a few more starts to continue what looks to be a pretty good audition.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Even with Ichiro hitting and Ibanez heating up again at the plate, Girardi needs to give him some more playing time. He might contribute against RHed pitching in the playoffs and unlike Ibanez, he can field well.

He definitely needs to be on the roster over Gardner.
    I agree, I want to see more of him.

That was some legit power yesterday. Good lord.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    That was some legit power yesterday. Good lord.
    I just watched it on the Yankees site and my lower jaw nearly hit the desk. His bat speed is downright scary.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

He should be in the OF mix next year. Great speed, defense and power. He should at least be an upgrade over Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    He should be in the OF mix next year. Great speed, defense and power. He should at least be an upgrade over Jones.
    But ... but ... can't replace righty bat with lefty bat ... *head explodes*

Thread Information