+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Mariano is the best

Not that we didn't know that already - but I continue to be amazed at the time he spends with the fans before the game. At Texas on Friday he spent a good 15-20 minutes signing autographs - he did his best to accomodate everyone. This was the 3rd time I've seen him do this - but the first I was actually successful!

Thanks Mo!

Picture 055.jpg
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Re: Mariano is the best

Awesome!
    Thanks for sharing.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Not that we didn't know that already - but I continue to be amazed at the time he spends with the fans before the game. At Texas on Friday he spent a good 15-20 minutes signing autographs - he did his best to accomodate everyone. This was the 3rd time I've seen him do this - but the first I was actually successful!

Thanks Mo!

Attachment 19950
    The truly amazing thing is that I've seen him do it at Fenway
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Cy Young

He is definitely one of the best signers, especially on the road.

I got his autograph twice, in Toronto 2000 and in San Diego in 2002. Hat and a ball, respectively.

I know he was not considered as marquis an autograph to get but Ramiro Mendoza was always very generous with the signing right alongside Mo as well.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

Meeting Mariano is listed on my bucket list. I've met many Yanks, but not the legend.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Meeting Mariano is listed on my bucket list. I've met many Yanks, but not the legend.
    If I'm ever going to try to go to Cooperstown for an induction ceremony, it'll be his.

NYYF Legend

Man - I'll never get his autograph, so I'll have to live vicariously though those who do.

Funny Mo story - during BP at Camden Yards back around 2002 or 2003, some idiot was constantly begging El Dueque to throw him a baseball. The guy spoke in Spanish. He claimed he wanted the ball for his son. Mo stopped to watch the whole thing, very interested in the outcome. So, El Duque asked the lunatic where his son was and the guy pointed to a blond kid standing next to him. Mo was straining every muscle in his body trying not to crack up. Finally, the guy tried the "mi hermano Cubano" angle. El Duque, turned around, pointed at Mo, glared back at the fool and said in perfect English with no accent, "I'm from PANAMA!". Mo then did his best impersonation of El Duque's knee-to-the-head delivery. The fans went nuts - absolutely freakin' priceless.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Triple Crown

Thats awesome...I'm going to Camden Yards in August and I hope Mo does the same!

NYYF Legend

wow, nice!!
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Devoted Member

He is great at the park if you're there just the right time. We were in Chicago last year, out taking a walk and stumbled on the Yankees bus as it was leaving the hotel. Mo didn't get on the bus, but was with some friends and was off somewhere with them. Some folks approached him and he wasn't interested. Not to criticize, it was his time away from the park and if he had stopped he would have been stopped in a second.
    Mays played baseball. Mantle was baseball.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
    He is great at the park if you're there just the right time. We were in Chicago last year, out taking a walk and stumbled on the Yankees bus as it was leaving the hotel. Mo didn't get on the bus, but was with some friends and was off somewhere with them. Some folks approached him and he wasn't interested. Not to criticize, it was his time away from the park and if he had stopped he would have been stopped in a second.
    I understand what you're saying. I really don't blame players for NOT signing on "the street" so to speak. Someone like Mo is lucky if he can walk around without being recognized even while the Yankees visit - and once he's recognized, and if he stops, the potential of a mob scene is there. To be honest, I was trapped up against the front rail after he signed my ball - I wanted to get out and let others in but couldn't. That may be a part of the reason why some of the bigger name players don't sign much, even at the ballpark (though I was lucky enough to get Jeter's at Anaheim back in 1998.)

Heck, I was at a mall down the road from the Alamodome during Dallas Cowboys training camp. There was a mob scene when two players who would up on the practice squad were recognized - and these guys signed for about 20 minutes there and had to exit out a side door with the help of mall security. It gets kind of crazy for them.

THe only other player that I saw signing was Tex, for about 5 minutes at the steps going down into the dugout.

My wife and I discussed it later in the night and the players really are in a "darned if they do, darned if they don't" position. If they sign a few autographs, the ones that were passed over complain, if they don't sign at all, people complain. Then of course there's other contracts and that may prevent them from signing certain things. I did notice Mo didn't sign a single ball on the "sweet spot", Not sure why - but for someone like me, that doesn't matter really. I'm not selling it - it'll be my son's someday.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Mariano is very gracious.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    The truly amazing thing is that I've seen him do it at Fenway
    Mo is a class act. The Sox fans give him ovations to this day because he blew the 2004 Game 4. Mo always handles it with a smile and a tip of the cap. I think he actually has won a lot of Sox fans over because of it.

Mo signed for about that much time on their last visit to Camden Yards, got lucky that day with him and my son got Joes too, great Yankee : )

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    Mo is a class act. The Sox fans give him ovations to this day because he blew the 2004 Game 4. Mo always handles it with a smile and a tip of the cap. I think he actually has won a lot of Sox fans over because of it.
    Mo is just one of those guys that are untouchable, almost like Jordan. Sox fans appreciate baseball as much as NYY fans, and they know we won't see his like for some time, possibly ever again.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Mariano Rivera = Genuine Class
    At least the Giants won the Super Bowl.

Yes he is.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

An example of what every baseball player should aspire to be, excellence of performance on the field and excellence of character off the field.

Just the best!

NYYF Legend

I'm happy to read such great stories about Mo. In reality all we needed was the threads title, right?
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

2012-04-23 16.41.01.jpg

Before today's game.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post

Before today's game.
    Nice pic . . but how did you remember this thread was out there?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Nice pic . . but how did y
    u remember this thread was out there?
    Because I created it originally and it was a memorable experience. I'll post some pics after I download them from my "real" camera. That pic taken today was taken with my phone...and I didn't take my real camera in the crowd. Mo was the only one I saw signing today....
    Last edited by CalYankeeFan; 04-23-12 at 11:35 PM.

NYYF MVP

DontHateOnNumber2
    I'm happy to read such great stories about Mo. In reality all we needed was the threads title, right?
    Definately one which should qualify for "Sticky", if there ever was one!
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

NYYF HOF

Here's a pic they just put up on the Yankee FB page:
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

A treat for all Yankee fans...

Hello to all my fellow Yankee fans. I just wanted to invite you to check out my recently-released book entitled "The 50 Greatest Players in New York Yankees History." If you are a true fan of the team, I think you will enjoy reading it very much. My book is currently available on Amazon and Barnes&Noble.com in both hardcover and ebook format. Thank you for your time, and have a nice day. Best Wishes, Bob Cohen

Thread Information