+ Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 201 FirstFirst ... 101 151 191 198 199 200 201
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 5025
  1. #5001
    Left-Handed Catcher
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens. Home of the Mets :-(

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I'm not claiming there was a conspiracy or bias or anything like that. I know there are basic parameters and rules for how the schedules are set. I was asking if anyone could explain the specifics that landed us NO & SF again.
    New York Giants were 1st in the NFC East, therefore they play the first-place teams in other NFC divisions. In this case, GB from the NFC North and SF from the NFC West and they play New Orleans because they're playing NFC South teams in Intraconference non-Divisional games this upcoming year.

  2. #5002

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    New York Giants were 1st in the NFC East, therefore they play the first-place teams in other NFC divisions. In this case, GB from the NFC North and SF from the NFC West and they play New Orleans because they're playing NFC South teams in Intraconference non-Divisional games this upcoming year.
    Thanks, sparks. I didn't realize they played ALL the other division champs.

  3. #5003
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I'm not claiming there was a conspiracy or bias or anything like that. I know there are basic parameters and rules for how the schedules are set. I was asking if anyone could explain the specifics that landed us NO & SF again.

    Why did you type "um"?
    SF and NO won their division. What part of all division winners in each conference play each other the following season do you not comprehend? Had the Giants finished in 2nd place they would not have to play GB or SF.

  4. #5004

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    SF and NO won their division. What part of all division winners in each conference play each other the following season do you not comprehend? Had the Giants finished in 2nd place they would not have to play GB or SF.
    Why so hostile? Did you invent the NFL schedule or something?

  5. #5005

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Why so hostile? Did you invent the NFL schedule or something?
    It's my fault, I forgot about this post in the Pet Peeves thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Posters who don't know all the rules for following year scheduling for NFL Conference Champions, ask a question about it an NFL forum, and thank the person for the answer

  6. #5006
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I'm not claiming there was a conspiracy or bias or anything like that. I know there are basic parameters and rules for how the schedules are set. I was asking if anyone could explain the specifics that landed us NO & SF again.

    Why did you type "um"?
    Yeah coffee got it. Sorry If I came off like an ass. But the schedule is set based on record without any descretion, I just assume everyone was familiar with that.

    You play your division H/A - 6 games
    You play one AFC conference - 4 games - rotate through on 4 year cycle
    You play one NFC conference - 4 games - rotate through on 3 year cycle
    You play the other 2 NFC conference teams that are not in this years rotation based on how each team finished in its division the year before, 1st plays 1st, 2nd plays 2nd, 3rd plays 3rd, last plays last.

  7. #5007

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Yeah coffee got it. Sorry If I came off like an ass. But the schedule is set based on record without any descretion, I just assume everyone was familiar with that.

    You play your division H/A - 6 games
    You play one AFC conference - 4 games - rotate through on 4 year cycle
    You play one NFC conference - 4 games - rotate through on 3 year cycle
    You play the other 2 NFC conference teams that are not in this years rotation based on how each team finished in its division the year before, 1st plays 1st, 2nd plays 2nd, 3rd plays 3rd, last plays last.
    All good.

    I did know the division / AFC / NFC conference part, I just didn't know the part about playing all Conference champs.

    And despite DB's over the top reaction(s), I'm not whining about it - just pointing out how brutal it is.

  8. #5008
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    And despite DB's over the top reaction(s), I'm not whining about it - just pointing out how brutal it is.
    You never can tell in the NFL. I mean I thought SF was a win when I saw them on the schedule this year and then look what happened, they go 13-3 and host the NFC championship game. It's a topsy-turvey world in the NFL as teams seem to change so much even year to year. I do agree on paper it looks like a brutal schedule but I'll take a brutal schedule every year if it means the Giants won the NFC East the year before.

  9. #5009

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    You never can tell in the NFL. I mean I thought SF was a win when I saw them on the schedule this year and then look what happened, they go 13-3 and host the NFC championship game. It's a topsy-turvey world in the NFL as teams seem to change so much even year to year. I do agree on paper it looks like a brutal schedule but I'll take a brutal schedule every year if it means the Giants won the NFC East the year before.
    That's a fair point.

    I am a Yankee fan first and foremost, but I have to say the last two SB runs were about as enjoyable to watch as any sporting event I've ever seen. A lot of it has to do with living near Boston too.

    So, normally I wouldn't even look at a schedule at this point, but I'm getting greedy.

  10. #5010

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Hixon re-signed

  11. #5011

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Three Giants Have Hot Selling Jerseys: Three Giants are among the top 25 hot selling NFL jerseys from April 2011 to February 2012. The Giants are QB Eli Manning (3rd), WR Victor Cruz (6th), and DE Jason Pierre-Paul (21st).
    And Weatherford gets the tag. 2.6 million.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  12. #5012

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Eli Manning has restructured his contract for the 2012 season in order to provide the Giants with more cap room during the rest of the offseason. Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports that Manning lowered his base salary for 2012 from $10.75 million to $1.75 million to create almost $7 million in cap space. His cap number for the 2012 season will now be $9.6 million, down from $16.35 million.
    Class act
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  13. #5013
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    So what happens to that $9 million? Did he forfeit it forever or does he get it at the end of the contract? I have no idea how the NFL salary cap works.

  14. #5014

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    he gets it all at once instead of a weekly check during the season. it's spread out, in terms of counting against the cap, over the rest of his contract.

    restructuring like this and what the rapist did recently doesn't really have that much of an impact on the player.

  15. #5015
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    If Manningham leaves (which I think is pretty much close to a guarantee)....what does everyone think about bringing back Steve Smith to fill that #3 WR role? You can get him on a cheap one year deal at this point considering he did nothing in Philly last year. Put him back in a familiar offense, a full season after the knee injury...and I think he'll do fine. Would be a good option considering the familiarity and the money factor...saves cap space to fill other areas of need. I simply dont trust Hixon and Barden to stay healthy, neither have proven that they can. Depending on them isnt smart.

    Although with Eli restructuring, I wonder if some of that will now be alotted for an offer to Manningham. If they can get him back on a reasonable deal, I'm for it....I just dont wanna pay him as if he was a #1 or even #2.

  16. #5016
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    If Manningham leaves (which I think is pretty much close to a guarantee)....what does everyone think about bringing back Steve Smith to fill that #3 WR role? You can get him on a cheap one year deal at this point considering he did nothing in Philly last year. Put him back in a familiar offense, a full season after the knee injury...and I think he'll do fine. Would be a good option considering the familiarity and the money factor...saves cap space to fill other areas of need. I simply dont trust Hixon and Barden to stay healthy, neither have proven that they can. Depending on them isnt smart.

    Although with Eli restructuring, I wonder if some of that will now be alotted for an offer to Manningham. If they can get him back on a reasonable deal, I'm for it....I just dont wanna pay him as if he was a #1 or even #2.
    I think it's foregone someone will pay him #2 money.

    Did everyone forget about Hixon? Won't he be back this year?

  17. #5017
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I think it's foregone someone will pay him #2 money.

    Did everyone forget about Hixon? Won't he be back this year?
    Yeah Hixon's been resigned. But like I said, with him and Barden...these guys are always getting injured. How can you depend on either of them for a full season?

  18. #5018
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    he gets it all at once instead of a weekly check during the season. it's spread out, in terms of counting against the cap, over the rest of his contract.

    restructuring like this and what the rapist did recently doesn't really have that much of an impact on the player.
    So for the NFL, is the cap hit based on AAV of the contract like in the NHL?

    Kovalchuck signed a 15 year/$100 million contract but it the cap hit is $6,666,666 per year even though some years he gets paid $15 million then towards the end of the contract he'll be getting $1 million salary.

  19. #5019

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    I'm not sure about hockey's cap but, no, I don't think so.

    in the NFL, there's bonus money and base salary. the hit of bonus money is spread out over the contract (and is, IIRC, guaranteed, so if the player is cut, it usually ends up dead weight against the cap) and the base salary just counts against the cap as whatever it is each individual season.

    in this case, Eli converted base salary to bonus money, spreading it out over the remainder of his current contract instead of it all just being counted against this coming season's cap.

  20. #5020
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    I'm not sure about hockey's cap but, no, I don't think so.

    in the NFL, there's bonus money and base salary. the hit of bonus money is spread out over the contract (and is, IIRC, guaranteed, so if the player is cut, it usually ends up dead weight against the cap) and the base salary just counts against the cap as whatever it is each individual season.

    in this case, Eli converted base salary to bonus money, spreading it out over the remainder of his current contract instead of it all just being counted against this coming season's cap.
    Ahh ok so when you hear a player got $80m contract with a $20m signing bonus, that $20m is spread out over x amount of years and he gets that on like April 1 every year. Then the other $60m is paid out in game checks each week?

  21. #5021

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    he gets it all at once instead of a weekly check during the season. it's spread out, in terms of counting against the cap, over the rest of his contract.

    restructuring like this and what the rapist did recently doesn't really have that much of an impact on the player.
    Isnt it a risk because of possible injury? Say he had a career ending injury in the final game of next season, he would lose money because he changed his contract to get that cash later on.....right?

    So if I am understanding it correctly, it could impact him ( injury...performance etc ) but all being well, he still gets all the money by the time the contract ends.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  22. #5022
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    A healthy Hixon will not replace MM production. I think Jernigan or Barden will be the #3. I would welcome Steve Smith back.

  23. #5023

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    I was a big fan of Smith when he was here (or at least how he was always where he was supposed to be on the field, something not many WRs/TEs could claim in this offense), but SS is a 9-yards-and-fall down slot guy with no ability to get deep. with Cruz being the primary slot guy, he'd almost be a square peg for a round hole now.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the new intended third pass catching option was taken in the draft this year. maybe a WR like Hill or even a TE like Fleener.

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Isnt it a risk because of possible injury? Say he had a career ending injury in the final game of next season, he would lose money because he changed his contract to get that cash later on.....right?

    So if I am understanding it correctly, it could impact him ( injury...performance etc ) but all being well, he still gets all the money by the time the contract ends.
    possible injury is why this is a risk for the team, not him.

    he could be cut tomorrow and that $9M is still guaranteed money for him (minus taxes, which are allegedly a little more than they would have been as he was originally contracted, so in a way, he did take slightly less money, I guess). he'd just be out of any base salary going forward, like any other player would be.

    the team, however, would still have that bonus money count against their cap until his contract would have run out.

  24. #5024

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Garafalo tweets that Jacobs will be released. Thanks for some awesome memories.

  25. #5025
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2011 New York Giants Thread

    Jacobs was the man. I wish him the best. Jacobs won 2 more super bowls than Barber and 1 more than Morris and Hampton. Not too shabby.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts