+ Reply to Thread
Page 373 of 411 FirstFirst ... 273 323 363 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 383 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,325 of 10258

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    The Red Sox will probably trade either Peavy or Dempster before the season and that will clear some salary space. They are good trade candidates since they have only 1 year of commitment to the team getting them.
    I doubt there'd be many takers without having to eat a good chunk of either contract.

Even though Peavey's about as close to a lock as possible on that player option NOT vesting, $14.5MM for a guy that has averaged ~130 IP the last 5 years, is always injured, has been league averagish during that time frame (with seasons of 93 and 88 ERA+ in there) is not exactly a bargain. That's practically Kuroda money.

Since coming to the AL, Dempster has been an absolute train wreck. WHIP of ~1.5 in his last 230 IP, ERA+ of ~87 and he's owed $13.25MM.

Good luck finding a match without eating a big chunk of those deals.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

How about you worry about your team and when your next milkshake order arrives?

Ortiz says Yankees lost "face of the franchise". Hey ever hear of a shortstop named Derek Jeter?

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...-robinson-cano
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    How about you worry about your team and when your next milkshake order arrives?

Ortiz says Yankees lost "face of the franchise". Hey ever hear of a shortstop named Derek Jeter?

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...-robinson-cano
    I think everyone's aware the Yankees are ahead three milkshakes to zero this year. Maybe Cano supplied his milkshakes?

Quote Originally Posted by TheUmp View Post
    I think everyone's aware the Yankees are ahead three milkshakes to zero this year. Maybe Cano supplied his milkshakes?
    Whether true or not, not sure what that has to do with m post.
    Life is good!

The Red Sox trying to steal the Yankees thunder. Grady Sizemore signed to a MAJOR LEAGUE deal
    Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo 34m
    Sizemore has base of $750K with incentives that can push up to $6 million with Red Sox
    It's 3-1 odds he gets hurt while signing the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindleaddict View Post
    The Red Sox trying to steal the Yankees thunder. Grady Sizemore signed to a MAJOR LEAGUE deal

Wait until we start hearing how this is a massive value upgrade over Ellsbury
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

What are the odds that his medical bills exceed his contract ( 750k ) ?

He's had a ridiculous amount of operations
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

This is too bad. I really like Sizemore. It's unfortunate that I now have to root for his comeback to fail.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    What are the odds that his medical bills exceed his contract ( 750k ) ?

He's had a ridiculous amount of operations
    HGH is a hell of a drug.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    This is too bad. I really like Sizemore. It's unfortunate that I now have to root for his comeback to fail.
    Well it can be successful as long as it never helps the Sox in big spots.

According to Lester, he is willing to take a "discount". We'll see what that means in time.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...etown-discount

Lester said he not only expects to have to take a discount in order to sign an extension with the team, but he is willing to do so.
    "It's like Pedey [Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox second baseman]. He left a lot of money on the table to stay here. That's what he wanted to do. I understand that. That's my choice, that's his choice.
    "I understand that to stay here, you're not going to get a free-agent deal. You're not going to do it. You can't. It's not possible. You're bidding against one team. I understand you're going to take a discount to stay. Do I want to do that? Absolutely."
    What do tigers dream of when they take a little tiger snooze?

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

I guess we were really pining for the days of Rocco Baldelli.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

It's clear the team he chose has access to the best, er, stuff and are immune to being caught. Who else would Grady wish to sign with?
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Allens Wolfpack View Post
    According to Lester, he is willing to take a "discount". We'll see what that means in time.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...etown-discount

Lester said he not only expects to have to take a discount in order to sign an extension with the team, but he is willing to do so.
    "It's like Pedey [Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox second baseman]. He left a lot of money on the table to stay here. That's what he wanted to do. I understand that. That's my choice, that's his choice.
    "I understand that to stay here, you're not going to get a free-agent deal. You're not going to do it. You can't. It's not possible. You're bidding against one team. I understand you're going to take a discount to stay. Do I want to do that? Absolutely."
    It's amazing how the Sox have these players who are willing to leave money on the table to remain with the team. I've yet to see this happen once with the Yanks.

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    It's amazing how the Sox have these players who are willing to leave money on the table to remain with the team. I've yet to see this happen once with the Yanks.
    As long as he doesn't try to start his own video game company, the contract he earns should be enough to take care of him for the rest of his life.

To be fair, the Red Sox stuck by him through his cancer. I understand his loyalty.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Boston is willing to lock up their guys before free agency, that is the main reason in my opinion.
    I doubt Pedroia would be leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table to resign with Boston if he was hitting the open market as a free agent tomorrow. But when you lock the guys up before free agency, the player will sacrifice money for security.

I hope the Yankees are taking note, it's smart business to do that and Boston has saved a lot of dough with that practice..

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Boston is willing to lock up their guys before free agency, that is the main reason in my opinion.
    I doubt Pedroia would be leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table to resign with Boston if he was hitting the open market as a free agent tomorrow. But when you lock the guys up before free agency, the player will sacrifice money for security.

I hope the Yankees are taking note, it's smart business to do that and Boston has saved a lot of dough with that practice..
    Yes, it's that, and the fact that they aren't giving out top-level deals every year. You pay Tex, A-Rod, CC, etc., it's hard to tell a guy like Cano we aren't giving you a mega-contract. The one time the Sox did splurge, it backfired.

This is why it was so interesting to me that they supposedly offered Ellsbury the $100 million contract - would have been interesting to see how the other guys took him being their highest paid player.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Paul O'Neill did it way back when.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    To be fair, the Red Sox stuck by him through his cancer. I understand his loyalty.
    I think the way the Sox took care of Lester during his bout with cancer has created a bond. They kept him on the big league roster which kept his salary and benefits at max. They took care of him when he got back. It's clear his relationship with the team is more than employer/employee.

There is also the fact that the Sox have 'won it all more than any other team this century' -- getting a ring has always been a drawer. Having a drawer full of rings has got to be attractive.

On the other side of the contract, the Sox have to love having a lefty horse in the stable who is strong in the fall.

While I do not see Lester as a true #1, I think this gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    I think the way the Sox took care of Lester during his bout with cancer has created a bond. They kept him on the big league roster which kept his salary and benefits at max. They took care of him when he got back. It's clear his relationship with the team is more than employer/employee.

There is also the fact that the Sox have 'won it all more than any other team this century' -- getting a ring has always been a drawer. Having a drawer full of rings has got to be attractive.

On the other side of the contract, the Sox have to love having a lefty horse in the stable who is strong in the fall.

While I do not see Lester as a true #1, I think this gets done.
    Yes. As someone who is battling a potential terminal disease I can say gratitude towards any kind gesture is always magnified more so than normal. People there for me I would run through a wall for.
    Life is good!

Addicted Member

The Sox players that are taking discounts also came up through the minor league system. It doesn't always work (Ellsbury this year), but it has worked to the Sox benefit in recent history.

NYYF HOF

David Ortiz is most certainly no John Lester.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...multiyear-deal

World Series MVP David Ortiz, who turned 38 in November, said in a TV interview that aired Sunday night that he would like to retire as a member of the Red Sox, but said if the club did not offer him another long-term deal, it was "time to move on."

Obviously, circumstances are different. But this guy cannot keep playing the, "do what's best for my family" card. He's earned over a $100M in his career in salary alone. I think his family is fine.

Now, this guy's legacy in Boston is beyond secure, IMO. What he did in the World Series last year was beyond legendary. I'd hate to see him play for another team. But, jesus, this guy talks more about his contract than anybody.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dgreco View Post
    The Sox players that are taking discounts also came up through the minor league system. It doesn't always work (Ellsbury this year), but it has worked to the Sox benefit in recent history.
    I know you said this days ago, forgot to respond. The farm system part doesn't seem to factor in that much, because in the case of the Yankees, their farm guys did not take discounts to stay (Jeter got paid twice, Pettitte left, Rivera got market rate, Posada wanted and got that big contract at like age 36, Bernie had to be signed last second with a huge contract, Cano left, etc)

There's obviously a contrast between Lester/Pedroia and Ortiz (and even Ortiz took a below-market contract from the Sox once), but the Red Sox seem to engender some very loving feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I know you said this days ago, forgot to respond. The farm system part doesn't seem to factor in that much, because in the case of the Yankees, their farm guys did not take discounts to stay (Jeter got paid twice, Pettitte left, Rivera got market rate, Posada wanted and got that big contract at like age 36, Bernie had to be signed last second with a huge contract, Cano left, etc)

There's obviously a contrast between Lester/Pedroia and Ortiz (and even Ortiz took a below-market contract from the Sox once), but the Red Sox seem to engender some very loving feelings

I don't think it is loving feelings, it is timing.

The Red Sox are willing to negotiate with their players before free agency.
    The Yankees don't..

If you are a player and you have to assume all the risk in playing the game (injuries and performance) before you become a free agent, then why would you take a discount? If the team assumes some risk by signing on to a long term deal before they absolutely have to, then the player is likely to discount his services. It's about buying risk.. If the player has to buy all the risk before his free agency, then he'll want to cash in that purchase at full value..

Thread Information