+ Reply to Thread
Page 369 of 422 FirstFirst ... 269 319 359 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 379 419 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,225 of 10527
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Red Sox Thread

The Red Sox have a contingency for every player leaving except for Napoli. It's very possible that next year they could have Bradley, Jr., Boegarts and Lavarnway in the starting lineup. But they have no one in the minors who can step right in to first base.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    The Red Sox have a contingency for every player leaving except for Napoli. It's very possible that next year they could have Bradley, Jr., Boegarts and Lavarnway in the starting lineup. But they have no one in the minors who can step right in to first base.
    Isn't re-signing Drew and moving Bogaerts to 3rd and Middlebrooks to 1st a contingency?

Besides, 1B has to b among the easier positions to replace in MLB.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

If you look at the first basemen available in free agency, it is not that easy. I don't think the Red Sox want to go with Justin Morneau. Kendrys Morales received a qualifying offer from Seattle. There are not a lot of great options, and first base is no longer a position that has an abundance of great players.

I don't think that the Red Sox want to convert Middlebrooks. I think that if Napoli leaves, you will see the Red Sox leverage some of their minor league talent and make a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Isn't re-signing Drew and moving Bogaerts to 3rd and Middlebrooks to 1st a contingency?

Besides, 1B has to b among the easier positions to replace in MLB.
    Yes. But I think Napoli comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    It'll be interesting if the way the Red Sox jerked Napoli around last off-season has any impact on whether or not he stays. I'm guessing he'll stay if the money is right, but who knows.
    Obviously depends on how that negotiation went, but he made his $13m, so maybe he is OK with the protections. He sure seems to be having fun in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by wwjdd View Post
    “I want to be here. I love this place,” said Napoli, who made $13 million in his one-year deal this season. “They’ve treated me so good here. The way they’ve taken care of me, its’ unbelievable. When the time comes I’m pretty sure we’re going to have some conversations. I hope to be back here next year.”
    Maybe he credits the medical staff with his continued health/success.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I agree with you on Ellsbury and Salty - gone. I expect to see Drew gone, but replaced by Bogaerts, so that is no big deal. Salty? Don't know what they are thinking there. McCann maybe? I know they have a big prospect there, but not sure if ready next year.
    The Red Sox, according to sources, are quietly doing their due diligence on Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz, writes Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    Yes. But I think Napoli comes back.
    Oh, I do too. My post was in response to contingency if he doesn't come back.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF HOF

I think Napoli comes back. I think it's a good fit. He seems to like Boston and he was productive and plays a solid 1st base.

I think Ellsbury is gone. He'll get a 6-7 year offer from somebody, I imagine (Dodgers, maybe?) I could see the Sox offer something like a 3yr deal at maybe 18-20M, but some team out there will offer him big money.

Salty.......who knows. I think they'll try like hell to keep him, but obviously didn't want to do it with the 14M price tag. I'm all set with McCann. Lots of miles on that body and probably a hefty price tag. And I wasn't a big fan of him being the baseball police at the end of the season and the "play the game the right way" crap. No thanks.

The big dilemma obviously comes around if Drew does indeed stay. What happens with Will Middlebrooks? Bogaerts has settled himself firmly into 3rd base (or at least the left part of the infield) for the next several years. Middlebrooks seemed to have a great attitude, both during his demotion during the season, as well as during the post season, so who knows what happens with him. He had his struggles for sure, but I still he can be fairly serviceable.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan View Post
    I think Napoli comes back. I think it's a good fit. He seems to like Boston and he was productive and plays a solid 1st base.

I think Ellsbury is gone. He'll get a 6-7 year offer from somebody, I imagine (Dodgers, maybe?) I could see the Sox offer something like a 3yr deal at maybe 18-20M, but some team out there will offer him big money.

Salty.......who knows. I think they'll try like hell to keep him, but obviously didn't want to do it with the 14M price tag. I'm all set with McCann. Lots of miles on that body and probably a hefty price tag. And I wasn't a big fan of him being the baseball police at the end of the season and the "play the game the right way" crap. No thanks.

The big dilemma obviously comes around if Drew does indeed stay. What happens with Will Middlebrooks? Bogaerts has settled himself firmly into 3rd base (or at least the left part of the infield) for the next several years. Middlebrooks seemed to have a great attitude, both during his demotion during the season, as well as during the post season, so who knows what happens with him. He had his struggles for sure, but I still he can be fairly serviceable.
    I agree with all of your points here. I do think I'm more warm to the idea of McCann than you are, but I'm still wary of his likely price tag and how much mileage he has left in him. I'd rather just keep Salty or, failing that, platoon Ross and Lavarnway and settle for the slight defensive upgrade that would provide to go with the offensive downgrade.

I'm still not sold that Will Middlebrooks is going to stick around as a first division level starter, but like you I do want to see him get a chance. The dude had a great attitude given his situation and obviously worked on fixing his approach at the plate. Though his numbers were still iffy, he was much more patient when he came back in August and put up better numbers overall. If he keeps working on his patience, I think he can turn things around and provide some decent offensive value.

Beltran?

Multiple reports indicate that the Red Sox are interested in Carlos Beltran, though the extent of that interest is somewhat up in the air. George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Boston is "aggressively" pursuing Beltran but are receiving early competition from the Yankees and Orioles. Elsewhere, the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo tweets that the Red Sox do indeed have interest in the eight-time All-Star, but a team source tells him they haven't been very aggressive to this point. Here are some more BoSox items for your Friday morning...

"I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever View Post
    Beltran?

Multiple reports indicate that the Red Sox are interested in Carlos Beltran, though the extent of that interest is somewhat up in the air. George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Boston is "aggressively" pursuing Beltran but are receiving early competition from the Yankees and Orioles. Elsewhere, the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo tweets that the Red Sox do indeed have interest in the eight-time All-Star, but a team source tells him they haven't been very aggressive to this point. Here are some more BoSox items for your Friday morning...

George King.... awesome.
    Do we believe it?
    I think - the Sox can have him. Let them give up their first rounder for the 37 year old outfielder.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

I have my doubts about this report on Beltran. The one reason I could see that they would be interested is because they like the short deals, and Beltran can probably be had for a two year contract. He will cost much less than Ellsbury and can play right, with Victorino moving over to center (although the Red Sox say they are keeping him in right).

As for losing a draft pick, they will get one back for Ellsbury, Drew and Napoli if they all leave...2 of 3 at least probably will, so I don't think they are afraid of signing one player which requires giving up one as they still will be net one to the good.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Stephen Drew expected to reject qualifying offer per Rosenthal. No surprise here.
    Life is good!

Congratulations to Pedroia being named AL defensive player of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUmp View Post
    Nope.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Look in the dictionary under the word "gritty"....
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

I wonder if it's time to retire, "irrelevant since 2008" from the tag cloud.

Good for Pedroia. A deserving Gold Glove, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelson View Post
    Nope, it's not time.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

People actually read the tag clouds? And closely enough to suggest removals of tags that have been there for years? I don't know if I should mock this or be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    People actually read the tag clouds? And closely enough to suggest removals of tags that have been there for years? I don't know if I should mock this or be impressed.
    It's right there at the bottom of the thread. Don't think it's impressive or worthy of derision.

Good for Pedroia. A deserving Gold Glove, too.
    Can we retire you, too?

It's right there at the bottom of the thread. Don't think it's impressive or worthy of derision.
    That depends really. Have you been keeping your eye on that tag since 2008, just waiting for opportunity to strike?

NYYF Cy Young

What did you expect when you made the original post? Really.

And congratulations to Sox fans for being the most defensive fanbase.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information