+ Reply to Thread
Page 343 of 410 FirstFirst ... 243 293 333 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 353 393 ... LastLast
Results 8,551 to 8,575 of 10237

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    It's not a steal.
    So if it's not a steal, what do you think he could have gotten on the open market?

What about when his WAR declines?
    Well I'm sure it's not a perfect projection model he was using but I'm sure it was good enough to factor in a decline phase...

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    So if it's not a steal, what do you think he could have gotten on the open market?
    +/- 10% of what he got.

But, that's completely moot, since we have no idea. I think it's a good deal for both sides, but not theft.
    Team Northern Lights

What about when his WAR declines?
    hes been about 5.5 war/162, and at peak performance 6-7

If he regresses gracefully, 14 mill for an average 2b at the end is acceptable. If he crashes and burns, its too bad, but the money isn't a crippler.

Its definitely risky, but a bunch of teams are invested in their franchise players for way more dangerous amounts.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

He couldn't hit the free market for two more years so that isn't even in the picture. He could get hurt in that time, he could have off years. Yes if neither happened he would have done better testing the market but he chose the guaranteed money now.

Quote Originally Posted by soren View Post
    hes been about 5.5 war/162, and at peak performance 6-7

If he regresses gracefully, 14 mill for an average 2b at the end is acceptable. If he crashes and burns, its too bad, but the money isn't a crippler.

Its definitely risky, but a bunch of teams are invested in their franchise players for way more dangerous amounts.
    Depends on when he becomes average. Your points are reasonable. I just don't see this as a big steal. Just seems about right.
    Team Northern Lights

Depends on when he becomes average. Your points are reasonable. I just don't see this as a big steal. Just seems about right.
    Marc Normandin just made this excellent point on Twitter that by the time his new deal starts the AAV might be less than the qualifying offer.

NYYF Legend

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think $14 million a year for Pedroia is a "steal". Not saying he couldn't have potentially gotten more on the open market, and yes I'd be thrilled if Cano settled for similar money (he won't)...I just wouldn't categorize it as a "steal".
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan Tavarez View Post
    Marc Normandin just made this excellent point on Twitter that by the time his new deal starts the AAV might be less than the qualifying offer.
    What are the details?
    Team Northern Lights

From what I understand he finishes his current deal at $10m next year, and the 11m option for 15 is gone. 100/7 through 2021, 14.28 AAV

NYYF Legend

He stinks on the road, but I also never underestimate the potential stupidity of any GM.

Pedroia's in the right place for him, so we'll never know.
    ^ This. He's a true child of Fenway.

Hooray, that means more years of unnecessary scrappy dives to make fun of. Huzzah.

It's got nothing to do with loyalty. I think an AAV of 15M per until age 38 for Pedroia is more correct than a steal.

While he won't be worth $15m when he is 38 he will be quite the value for the next few years so the Sox are "underpaying" for his prime years and over paying for his twilight years.

With that said, he is worth more to the Sox than he is to other teams so if he hit the FA market he prob wouldn't have received much more. This is a god deal for both the team and the player.
    Vandelay! Say Vandelay!

It's sucks for us and it is a steal because Cano is, using WAR per 162, maybe 10% better than Pedroia. Cano is also basically a year older. If you think Robbie is getting only 10% more than Pedroia, well, not happening.

We're going to end up paying Robbie something in the vicinity of 8/180, and Pedroia is a better defender and a better OBP guy (in a non-replacement-level-Yankee-lineup year). Those skills age better. Of course I'd rather have Robbie straight up, but if you asked me, right now, if as a neutral team, I'd rather have Pedroia for 7/100 or Robbie for 8/180, well, I'd rather neither at the ages of 36-38, but I'm choosing the Pedroia contract.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTheGent View Post
    While he won't be worth $15m when he is 38 he will be quite the value for the next few years so the Sox are "underpaying" for his prime years and over paying for his twilight years.

With that said, he is worth more to the Sox than he is to other teams so if he hit the FA market he prob wouldn't have received much more. This is a god deal for both the team and the player.
    The best move for a "face of the franchise" for seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    It's sucks for us and it is a steal because Cano is, using WAR per 162, maybe 10% better than Pedroia. Cano is also basically a year older. If you think Robbie is getting only 10% more than Pedroia, well, not happening.

We're going to end up paying Robbie something in the vicinity of 8/180, and Pedroia is a better defender and a better OBP guy (in a non-replacement-level-Yankee-lineup year). Those skills age better. Of course I'd rather have Robbie straight up, but if you asked me, right now, if as a neutral team, I'd rather have Pedroia for 7/100 or Robbie for 8/180, well, I'd rather neither at the ages of 36-38, but I'm choosing the Pedroia contract.
    I don't think Pedroia is the better defender, but I agree with you on the contracts.
    If you are going for value, Pedroia at 7/100 is a better deal than Cano at 8/180. I'd have to agree with that..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I don't think Pedroia is the better defender, but I agree with you on the contracts.
    If you are going for value, Pedroia at 7/100 is a better deal than Cano at 8/180. I'd have to agree with that..
    Yeah, I just a prediction from Dave Cameron for 8/200 for Cano. Big difference. As for the defense, Pedroia, since 2007, has earned more defensive WAR than Robbie in about 135 less games, so that's pretty significant. And, way less relevant, watching games makes me see Pedroia as relatively significantly better defensively.

NYYF Legend

Ortiz roid rage on full display tonight. Just destroyed the dugout phone and nearly took Pedroia's head off in the process after getting tossed for arguing with the home plate umpire.
    Last edited by NelsonMuntz; 07-28-13 at 06:32 AM.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Ortiz roiding rage on full display tonight. Just destroyed the dugout phone and nearly took Pedroia's head off in the process after getting tossed for arguing with the home plate umpire.
    That's gotta earn Huggy bear a few days vacay, no?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Just saw the replay. If he doesn't sit a game or two something is wrong.

Impressive.

ptcnyyfan

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Impressive.

Was this tonight? That's destruction of property on full display.

Addicted Member

First time I've ever seen him take RH swings, he tomahawked that phone.

NYYF Legend

Methinks this months injection had a tad too much testosterone in it
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Ortiz roiding rage on full display tonight. Just destroyed the dugout phone and nearly took Pedroia's head off in the process after getting tossed for arguing with the home plate umpire.
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    That's gotta earn Huggy bear a few days vacay, no?
    it'd better. That was ridiculous. That 3-0 pitch was high, but not insanely high. Bad call, it happens probably 20 times a game. He tosses his bat and shows up the ump. After he strikes out, the ump lets him have his little on field display - pointing to his helmet and throwing his elbow guard ont the field - which even Remy said he was surprised he was still in the game at that point. So then he takes a bat to dugout equipment, nearly decapitating Pedroia before storming back out on the filed spewing obscenities? Yeah, he better get a vacation.

His post-game comments about respect were asinine also. Get over yourself dude.

what a dumbass. he tosses his bat for a walk clearly after the ump calls it a strike, which was only 2 inches high according to the K zone. its crazy how many times he can have roid rage in public and get away with it...because hes a nice guy!

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...emper-tantrum/

Thread Information