+ Reply to Thread
Page 337 of 422 FirstFirst ... 237 287 327 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 347 387 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,425 of 10544
  1. #8401

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    BOSTON -- Throwing off a mound for the first time in nearly 20 days, Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz cut short his bullpen session after 15-18 pitches because of discomfort in his trapezius muscle.

    Buchholz, who has been on the disabled list with the injury since June 18, is expected to get an MRI on Wednesday afternoon.
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...ion-discomfort
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  2. #8402
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    That's gonna leave a mark.
    Pardon, for us.

  3. #8403

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    I like Cliff Lee a lot, but I wouldn't want to commit that kind of money to move a guy back into the AL East for his ages 34-38.

    As for the closer situation, I'd feel a lot better going after a much cheaper but consistent 7th/8th inning short reliever or two and giving Tazawa the chance to close games this year. I'd much rather invest the money we have on the next two free agent classes than to blow it all on a drastically overpriced closer and a great, but aging and expensive, starter when we'll only need them for half a season.
    Happy birthday!
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  4. #8404
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Oh ................, yeah. Thanks, man.

  5. #8405
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I heard Daniel Bard discussed on the radio on my way home -- didn't realize he wasn't pitching anywhere at this point. I can only imagine what his performance thread would be like on here if he was on the Yankees
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  6. #8406

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I heard Daniel Bard discussed on the radio on my way home -- didn't realize he wasn't pitching anywhere at this point. I can only imagine what his performance thread would be like on here if he was on the Yankees
    They did draft him out of high school.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  7. #8407
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    My original point in ST (I believe) was that they'd hang around until mid august or so, then fade (as it was currently constructed at the time).

    With Buchholz' injury and Lester recent performance, I still see that as a very real possibility. I feel the sox have a better chance at making the playoffs than they did originally, given the parity of the AL East, but it's in the vein that that division is open for anyone right now.
    At least you are hedging...I am way more worried about the Yanks competing than the Sox, going forward.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  8. #8408
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I heard Daniel Bard discussed on the radio on my way home -- didn't realize he wasn't pitching anywhere at this point. I can only imagine what his performance thread would be like on here if he was on the Yankees
    You could squint and pretend the Joba Chamberlain thread says Daniel Bard....it would be pretty similar....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  9. #8409
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    At least you are hedging...I am way more worried about the Yanks competing than the Sox, going forward.
    NerfBall was by far the most pessimistic in ST about the Red Sox going forward. He predicted a fourth or fifth place finish. He may still be right.

    Most others were more optimistic, if not for this year, of the future of the Red Sox with the talent in the minors.

    It's only half a season. The good news for the Red Sox fans is that no matter what happens, there has already been something to cheer about this season. That was not the case last year. And the possibilities for the future, although still possibilities and nothing guaranteed, look a little brighter with Iglesias playing everyday, Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Bogaerts and Webster and De La Rosa all doing well in the minors. On the dowside, there is Bard and Middlebrooks, but overall there is a future worth looking forward to. No long term commitments to speak of, and not that much age on the team either.

  10. #8410
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Considering that they're 5 games in the loss column away from last place, they could be.

    But, to '67's comments about Lee, I don't see the sox getting themselves into the potentially same situation that the Dodgers bailed them out of recently. I can't see them giving up prospects and taking on a 75M commitment for half of 2013 -2016.
    I don't see them getting Lee or Papelbon but for an even bigger reason. It appear as though there will be very few sellers this year 6 to maybe 8 teams. So supply will be low, demand will be high. And in the case of Papelbon, if Boston even feels compelled to try for him, they will be far from alone. Detroit desperately needs a closer, the Dodgers from what I hear are looking to add on and they need a closer. If Philadelphia puts Papelbon up for grabs, it will not be a salary dump, they will get some top players back in the trade. I don't think after trading and failing twice for closers (Bailey, Hanrahan), Boston is going to trade more for a third closer. And Right now with Lester being average and Buchholz shoulder now barking in addition to his neck, trading for a starter like Lee makes no sense.

  11. #8411

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    NerfBall was by far the most pessimistic in ST about the Red Sox going forward. He predicted a fourth or fifth place finish. He may still be right.

    Most others were more optimistic, if not for this year, of the future of the Red Sox with the talent in the minors.

    It's only half a season. The good news for the Red Sox fans is that no matter what happens, there has already been something to cheer about this season. That was not the case last year. And the possibilities for the future, although still possibilities and nothing guaranteed, look a little brighter with Iglesias playing everyday, Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Bogaerts and Webster and De La Rosa all doing well in the minors. On the dowside, there is Bard and Middlebrooks, but overall there is a future worth looking forward to. No long term commitments to speak of, and not that much age on the team either.
    This is true, no denying my ST position. But I always added the caveats "as currently constructed" and that I would re-evaluate in June/July.

    But, I'm going to stick with it, although I'm thinking that the East is going to be a cluster f, right now, and placement could come down to a few lucky wins/losses at the end of the year.

    Right now Sox are playing better than I thought, as are the Yankees and Os. Tampa is what I thought - a bit overrated, and I thought Toronto would be right in the middle. It's a mess right now.
    Team Northern Lights

  12. #8412
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    This is why it's hard to predict baseball. Who can reasonably predict that Lackey could ever come back after being awful and having Tommy John surgery and throw a 7 inning-12 K game and have an ERA halfway through the year of 2.99? Who can predict that Iglesias hits better than he ever has at any minor league level and and is playing THIRD? Who can predict that Daniel Nava is going to go from a nice story of an Independent League player who makes it to the big leagues to a reliable contributor amongst the better outfielders in the AL? Who can predict that after all these years as a slugger, Ortiz would have more RBI's after his first 50 games than any other year in his career?

    Some things have come together for the Red Sox this year. Others (Hanrahan, Middlebrooks, Bard, Bailey) have not. But as long as the Red Sox have decent starting pitching, I think they are going to stick around for awhile.

  13. #8413
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    This is why it's hard to predict baseball. Who can reasonably predict that Lackey could ever come back after being awful and having Tommy John surgery and throw a 7 inning-12 K game and have an ERA halfway through the year of 2.99? Who can predict that Iglesias hits better than he ever has at any minor league level and and is playing THIRD? Who can predict that Daniel Nava is going to go from a nice story of an Independent League player who makes it to the big leagues to a reliable contributor amongst the better outfielders in the AL? Who can predict that after all these years as a slugger, Ortiz would have more RBI's after his first 50 games than any other year in his career?

    Some things have come together for the Red Sox this year. Others (Hanrahan, Middlebrooks, Bard, Bailey) have not. But as long as the Red Sox have decent starting pitching, I think they are going to stick around for awhile.
    Your last paragraph is the key. Right now Lester is, unfortunately for Boston, pitching again like 2012, Buchholz now has a shoulder issue in addition to the neck, if those two don't bounce back at least close to the pitchers they were in April-May then I would be concerned.

  14. #8414
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I'm always concerned, no matter how well things may seem to be going. Right now, Lackey is pitching great, and Doubront has been good of late. Dempster is ok, Lester has been bad, and they got three very good spot starts out of Aceves. Webster has not been good in two of his three starts. He gets another one on Friday.

    It will be interesting to see how the Red Sox fare over the next four days with the red hot Blue Jays.

  15. #8415
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Boston has a $13M team option on Lester next year. By mid-May it seemed like a lock that they'd pick it up, but he's been a total disaster since then.

    8GS/47IP/6.99ERA

  16. #8416
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Peter Abraham has a note today in the Extra Innings blog that says Carl Crawford is now in a platoon in LA. That underscores how incredibly fortunate the Red Sox were to make that trade less than 1 year ago with the Dodgers. Adrian Gonzalez has 5 more years remaining on his contract after this season. Crawford has 4 more guaranteed years. Josh Beckett, 1 more year. The salary commitment the Red Sox unloaded was something north of $250 million. Incredibly, on top of the salary relief, the Red Sox still have two genuine excellent prospects in Webster, who is currently in the rotation while Buchholz is on the DL, and Rubby de la Rosa, who is pitching very well in AAA. Thank you, Los Angeles.

  17. #8417
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    Peter Abraham has a note today in the Extra Innings blog that says Carl Crawford is now in a platoon in LA. That underscores how incredibly fortunate the Red Sox were to make that trade less than 1 year ago with the Dodgers. Adrian Gonzalez has 5 more years remaining on his contract after this season. Crawford has 4 more guaranteed years. Josh Beckett, 1 more year. The salary commitment the Red Sox unloaded was something north of $250 million. Incredibly, on top of the salary relief, the Red Sox still have two genuine excellent prospects in Webster, who is currently in the rotation while Buchholz is on the DL, and Rubby de la Rosa, who is pitching very well in AAA. Thank you, Los Angeles.
    He's in a platoon due to the phenom Puig and the stacked OF LAD has, not due to performance. He has an 129 OPS+

    Agon has an 136 OPS+

    Your respective positions aren't doing as hot. That being said, it was the absolute right move to do.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  18. #8418
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    While I agree with your general premise, Crawford platooning is more to do with finding playing time for Ethier than anything against Crawford. I fully expect Ethier (with money) going elsewhere by July 31.

  19. #8419
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Chris Davis has been getting the PED accusations recently, and it gets me to wonder why the IF you guys have with a career 622 OPS in the minors, who is currently pushing 1000 in the majors, gets no mention.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  20. #8420
    Playin' Everywhere Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    Peter Abraham has a note today in the Extra Innings blog that says Carl Crawford is now in a platoon in LA. That underscores how incredibly fortunate the Red Sox were to make that trade less than 1 year ago with the Dodgers. Adrian Gonzalez has 5 more years remaining on his contract after this season. Crawford has 4 more guaranteed years. Josh Beckett, 1 more year. The salary commitment the Red Sox unloaded was something north of $250 million. Incredibly, on top of the salary relief, the Red Sox still have two genuine excellent prospects in Webster, who is currently in the rotation while Buchholz is on the DL, and Rubby de la Rosa, who is pitching very well in AAA. Thank you, Los Angeles.
    You are ignoring the small detail that Crawford had to be put in a platoon because of the emergence of Puig. Crawford has a 129 OPS+. Boston was fortunate to erase some of its mistakes but let's not pretend that Crawford is a bad player.

    I know that Red Sox fans have a tradition of trashing players once they leave town, but try not to forget that Boston's fans and management put them in a situation that made it almost impossible to succeed.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  21. #8421
    Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Chris Davis has been getting the PED accusations recently, and it gets me to wonder why the IF you guys have with a career 622 OPS in the minors, who is currently pushing 1000 in the majors, gets no mention.
    He doesn't have 33 home runs before the all star break?

  22. #8422
    Addicted Member
    1970cs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    through the looking glass

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    You are ignoring the small detail that Crawford had to be put in a platoon because of the emergence of Puig. Crawford has a 129 OPS+. Boston was fortunate to erase some of its mistakes but let's not pretend that Crawford is a bad player.

    I know that Red Sox fans have a tradition of trashing players once they leave town, but try not to forget that Boston's fans and management put them in a situation that made it almost impossible to succeed.
    In 130 games in 2011 Crawford had an 85 OPS+

    ESPN analyst Terry Francona on Friday responded to comments made by Red Sox left fielder Carl Crawford, who recently took issue with the former Red Sox manager for dropping him down in the batting order early last season.

    "I think our revisionist history is probably a little bit different," Francona told ESPN Radio's Ryen Russillo (video above) on Friday. "As a manager you walk a fine line when you're moving guys in the lineup because you don't want to hurt confidence. At the same time you have to try to look at the smaller picture and the big picture. If you think back, we had (Jacoby) Ellsbury, (Dustin) Pedroia, (Kevin) Youkilis, (Adrian) Gonzalez and (David) Ortiz. For the better part of the year, we were on pace to break every offensive record in the game.

    "My responsibility is to make Carl understand that and I actually thought I did that. When you hear comments made like that, it means I didn't do my job good enough and I feel bad about that."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...o-crawford-dig

    I'll try not to forget about poor misunderstood Carl.

  23. #8423
    Playin' Everywhere Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 1970cs View Post
    In 130 games in 2011 Crawford had an 85 OPS+


    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...o-crawford-dig

    I'll try not to forget about poor misunderstood Carl.
    I'm not sure what 2011 has to do with 2013. Crawford is putting up good numbers now. My guess is that his struggles in Boston had a lot more to do with his being hurt and the insane machinations of Bobby Valentine than his being a bad baseball player.

    Oh, and even though he was being paid a ton of money, no one should have to put up with the endless booing and racist epithets hurled at him by Boston fans.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  24. #8424
    Addicted Member
    1970cs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    through the looking glass

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    I'm not sure what 2011 has to do with 2013. Crawford is putting up good numbers now. My guess is that his struggles in Boston had a lot more to do with his being hurt and the insane machinations of Bobby Valentine than his being a bad baseball player.

    Oh, and even though he was being paid a ton of money, no one should have to put up with the endless booing and racist epithets hurled at him by Boston fans.

    um, ... o.k.

  25. #8425
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I'm not trying to trash anyone, I am mostly talking about the salary relief the Red Sox got, not the performance of the players. But in terms of performance...yes, Crawford has played better in LA, but he also missed the last month of the season with another injury. Another thing I noticed about Crawford is he apparently overcame his reluctance to bat leadoff when he went to LA. Remember, Francona couldn't use him as a leadoff header because he was "uncomfortable." I guess Mattingly was more persuasive. He also spent time on the DL in 2011, and missed most of 2012. In fact, since he's left Tampa, Crawford has missed exactly HALF of the games his teams have played. Enough said there.

    Beckett sucked badly this year, then he went out for the entire year due to nerve damage in one of his fingers.

    And Gonzalez has played better, too, in LA, but those numbers don't justify a $22 million annual salary.

    Plus the Red Sox got back two bonafide prospects. It remains incredible that they got $250 million in salary relief.

    By the way, instead of Crawford in LF, the Red Sox have had a combination primarily of Nava and Carp, with OPS+ of 119 and 169 respectively for two guys making the league minimum salary.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts