+ Reply to Thread
Page 321 of 422 FirstFirst ... 221 271 311 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 331 371 421 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 10532

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    Suggestion on another forum that there may be a linkage to this from 2009:

Boston Globe: Sox fired two in steroids case

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    But Brian Sabean still has a job.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    With the outings of Ortiz and Manny, the Merloni comments, the ignored story of Paxton Crawford's needles spilling in the clubhouse, Manny Alexander and now this, Tom Werner's old "we did it clean" comments on EEI go even further from reality.

Yeah, PEDs were everywhere, but it feels like the steroid current ran through the entire organization, from clubhouse worker to executive.

I may move them up the list on the most roidy-roid teams of roid era, but I'd have to check my notes.
    This just makes the moral highground most of RSN was on up until roughly 2009 even more ridiculous. They were just as complicit in the era (which still is going on) as the other 29 clubs were.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    This just makes the moral highground most of RSN was on up until roughly 2009 even more ridiculous. They were just as complicit in the era (which still is going on) as the other 29 clubs were.
    Yup, maybe even more complicit.
    Team Northern Lights

Jon Morosi@jonmorosi MLB says of ’08 Schilling incident that league “thoroughly investigated the allegations and considers the matter closed.”

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    As damning as Schilling's accusation is, you'd think there'd be more discussion about it on TV/radio. I didn't even hear it mentioned on ESPN - just a crawl on the bottom of the screen. However, I only have time to watch it briefly in the morning (maybe it's because he works for them). If this was A-Rod claiming that Cashman strongly suggested he used steroids, you wouldn't hear anything else BUT this story and it'd be BREAKING NEWS on the ESPN crawl.

Those of you who get the baseball network......what are they saying?

Fried chicken, beer and steroids.......what a freakin' circus.
    I listen to the FAN and they talked about it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Jon Morosi@jonmorosi MLB says of ’08 Schilling incident that league “thoroughly investigated the allegations and considers the matter closed.”

Expanded: "True", but closed.
    Team Northern Lights

Ben Badler@BenBadler RT @PeteAbe Bryce Brentz shot himself in the leg while cleaning a handgun a few weeks ago. Not on ST roster as a result.

NYYF Legend

As damning as Schilling's accusation is, you'd think there'd be more discussion about it on TV/radio. I didn't even hear it mentioned on ESPN - just a crawl on the bottom of the screen. However, I only have time to watch it briefly in the morning (maybe it's because he works for them). If this was A-Rod claiming that Cashman strongly suggested he used steroids, you wouldn't hear anything else BUT this story and it'd be BREAKING NEWS on the ESPN crawl.

Those of you who get the baseball network......what are they saying?

Fried chicken, beer and steroids.......what a freakin' circus.
    The story actually broke on ESPN Radio because it was Colin Cowherd to whom Schilling was speaking when he broached the subject. Michael Kay had Schilling on his ESPN NY radio show Friday afternoon to discuss it further. But that's radio-side. I'm not an ESPN watcher so I don't know how much or how little coverage the story's been getting on ESPN TV.

"Jonathan Papelbon used Toradol

By Gordon Edes | ESPNBoston.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Former Boston Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon, who was with the team from 2005-11, said Saturday that he and numerous other Red Sox players were regularly injected with Toradol, a legal anti-inflammatory drug whose use has become increasingly controversial in sports.

Toradol is the nonsteroidal drug that Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz acknowledged last season might have contributed to the esophagitis that sidelined him for 20 games. Buchholz was hospitalized in intensive care and lost three or four pints of blood while dealing with the condition, which is a known side effect of the painkiller.

Papelbon said that when he was administered a physical by the Philadelphia Phillies prior to signing as a free agent after the 2011 season, doctors asked him if he used Toradol. When he answered in the affirmative, he was told that he would have to stop.

[Toradol] made me feel better. You had to get it about 30 minutes before a game, and it made me feel pretty damn good. It only lasted about four hours maximum.

-- Jonathan Papelbon
    "They told me, 'We don't do that here.' That kind of surprised me," Papelbon said Saturday, speaking by phone from Phillies camp in Clearwater, Fla. "I haven't had a single Toradol shot since.
    "

Apparently it can cause bleeding problems. Remember Buchholz was hospitalized last year and lost a lot of blood?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/89...boston-red-sox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Oh. My. God. HAHAHHA
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Released Outright

I don't think drug abuse leading to someone almost bleeding to death is particularly funny, even if the victim is a Boston player.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Former Boston Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon, who was with the team from 2005-11, said Saturday that he and numerous other Red Sox players were regularly injected with Toradol, a legal anti-inflammatory drug whose use has become increasingly controversial in sports.

Toradol is the nonsteroidal drug that Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz acknowledged last season might have contributed to the esophagitis that sidelined him for 20 games. Buchholz was hospitalized in intensive care and lost three or four pints of blood while dealing with the condition, which is a known side effect of the painkiller.

Papelbon said that when he was administered a physical by the Philadelphia Phillies prior to signing as a free agent after the 2011 season, doctors asked him if he used Toradol. When he answered in the affirmative, he was told that he would have to stop.

[Toradol] made me feel better. You had to get it about 30 minutes before a game, and it made me feel pretty damn good. It only lasted about four hours maximum.

-- Jonathan Papelbon
    "They told me, 'We don't do that here.' That kind of surprised me," Papelbon said Saturday, speaking by phone from Phillies camp in Clearwater, Fla. "I haven't had a single Toradol shot since.
    "

Apparently it can cause bleeding problems. Remember Buchholz was hospitalized last year and lost a lot of blood?

My guess is every player in the NFL uses toradal

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    My guess is every player in the NFL uses toradal
    I think NFL players are using a lot more than toradal..... A lot more.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I don't think drug abuse leading to someone almost bleeding to death is particularly funny, even if the victim is a Boston player.
    Seriously, are you trolling? You think he was laughing that Buccholz was in a serious condition, or perhaps could you stretch to think maybe he was laughing that Papelbon came out and threw the Sox under the bus?

And with your recent history, you should be the last person questioning anyone else's sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Not that part. The rest is. The Red Sox are ................ing dumb. I've never had an issue with Buccholz, just that his name is really close in sound to buttholes. What False said.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Seriously, are you trolling? You think he was laughing that Buccholz was in a serious condition, or perhaps could you stretch to think maybe he was laughing that Papelbon came out and threw the Sox under the bus?

And with your recent history, you should be the last person questioning anyone else's sense of humor.
    Not trolling, just confused.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Not that part. The rest is. The Red Sox are ................ing dumb. I've never had an issue with Buccholz, just that his name is really close in sound to buttholes. What False said.
    lol, buttholes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post

-- Jonathan Papelbon
    "They told me, 'We don't do that here.' That kind of surprised me," Papelbon said Saturday, speaking by phone from Phillies camp in Clearwater, Fla. "I haven't had a single Toradol shot since."

The fact that it surprised him is interesting. Either the Phils are one of the few teams who do not allow Toradol to be used or they don't allow players to admit it. It's scary what pro athletes will do to keep themselves in the game/recover......using a drug that could potentially land me in the hospital for excessive internal bleeding for the chance to get on the field?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Wow, I can't believe Papelbon said that. That's pretty funny.

The fact that it surprised him is interesting.
    He spent his entire career in an organization where drugs were a big part of the culture, and had infiltrated every level from clubhouse guys, to players, to management. He knows no other way.

Wait and see how surprised he will be to learn that there aren't female TV reporters over there that are contractually obligated to be sleeping with the players.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    He spent his entire career in an organization where drugs were a big part of the culture, and had infiltrated every level from clubhouse guys, to players, to management. He knows no other way.

Wait and see how surprised he will be to learn that there aren't female TV reporters over there that are contractually obligated to be sleeping with the players.

Lester has commented:

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester said that the team's medical staff and general manager Ben Cherington told the club's pitchers Monday that they are reviewing its policy regarding the use of Toradol, the legal anti-inflammatory drug that is widely used in baseball and other pro sports but is under increased scrutiny because of potentially harmful side effects.

Lester said he has taken Toradol "quite a bit" since first being introduced to the drug before a playoff start "a couple of years ago," but has experienced no adverse effects.

"It's good they're looking into it," Lester said. "As players, though, we just think it's a bigger Advil, a stronger Advil. But I think it's nice to know our organization cares about us long term and wants to nip this thing in the bud.

"If they ban it or outlaw it or say you can't take it anymore, it's not going to affect anybody. I think guys use it more for getting loose, and for comfort level, than masking pain."
    He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer..if they really cared, they may not have given you this in high doses on a regular basis to "get loose" when people didn't really need it..as evidenced by Buchholz, it can be dangerous used that way..

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...toradol-policy

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Sounds like Toradol deficiency syndrome to me

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post

Lester has commented:

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer..if they really cared, they may not have given you this in high doses on a regular basis to "get loose" when people didn't really need it..as evidenced by Buchholz, it can be dangerous used that way..

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...toradol-policy
    "Buchholz's experience served as a red flag for him, though Farrell emphasized that no definite connection was drawn between the drug and Buchholz's condition."

Yeah, it's common for players to lose 4 pints of blood and end up in the hospital.... sheesh

I think I read that alcohol is a complicating issue with that drug

Addicted Member

I had no idea that Ortiz kept up with this thread

As I was walking back to the press box after the workout, David Ortiz stepped out of the team’s weight room bearing two Hummer-sized dumbbells. “Hey, Gordon,’’ he shouted. “These are my PEDs. Take that, [expletive].’’
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/

Thread Information