+ Reply to Thread
Page 312 of 410 FirstFirst ... 212 262 302 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 322 362 ... LastLast
Results 7,776 to 7,800 of 10237
  1. #7776
    My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I genuinely have a hard time distinguishing between the tweets from the "real" Peter Gammons and the Fake Peter Gammons twitter account tweets that you often post here. Actually that would make for a fun game. Post three tweets with the Twitter handle blocked out (two fake, one real) and have us guess which one from the real Peter Gammons.
    Agreed 100%. I had the same thoughts.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????


    Thank goodness we now know.

  2. #7777
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I genuinely have a hard time distinguishing between the tweets from the "real" Peter Gammons and the Fake Peter Gammons twitter account tweets that you often post here. Actually that would make for a fun game. Post three tweets with the Twitter handle blocked out (two fake, one real) and have us guess which one from the real Peter Gammons.
    Same with me.

  3. #7778
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post


    Actually, he just needed an adult with him so he could ride the go-karts.


    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I genuinely have a hard time distinguishing between the tweets from the "real" Peter Gammons and the Fake Peter Gammons twitter account tweets that you often post here. Actually that would make for a fun game. Post three tweets with the Twitter handle blocked out (two fake, one real) and have us guess which one from the real Peter Gammons.
    I actually like that as a thread idea as long as people guess without checking.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Same with me.
    Me three!
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

  4. #7779
    Faith is a funny thing.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    On the bus

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I genuinely have a hard time distinguishing between the tweets from the "real" Peter Gammons and the Fake Peter Gammons twitter account tweets that you often post here. Actually that would make for a fun game. Post three tweets with the Twitter handle blocked out (two fake, one real) and have us guess which one from the real Peter Gammons.
    Would Mr Coffee or someone please set this game up, STAT?


  5. #7780

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mhmajp View Post
    Would Mr Coffee or someone please set this game up, STAT?
    The problem is neither of them tweet very often.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  6. #7781

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Sox still in on Swisher, according to Edes.


  7. #7782
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Ken Rosenthal just tweeted the Napoli deal may be in jeopardy. Today was supposed to be the press conference introducing him. Said physical was done recently. Napoli has appeared in more than 114 games only one time in his career.

  8. #7783
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    the results are in: he's too hairy
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  9. #7784
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    If he was signed to play 1B, he wasn't valued as a catcher.
    The cost to sign a player is not based on how you will use him. It's based on his value in the open market. Victorino was valued as a centerfielder and Napoli as a catcher. You can argue the Red Sox overpaid for one or both of them based on how they intend to use them, but their value is not based on how the Red Sox intend to use them. It's like if I buy a brand new car intending to only drive it on Sunday afternoons. I may be paying too much for a car I'm going to use that way, but I'm not going to get the car for less because I will only drive it on Sunday.

    I think the Yankees signing Youkilis will add some fun to the games next year. I reiterate my prediction that the Yankee fans will soon be liking Youkilis. Well, at least if he produces. If he sucks or gets injured, he will probably be detested more than ever.

  10. #7785

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Wouldn't surprise me if the Sox had second thoughts and now want Swisher instead of Napoli. Seems like a typical, shady Sox tactic.

    Either that or his mother's nipples scared them off.


  11. #7786
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ocean Springs MS

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    They had to give up AGon in order for the Dodgers to take back Beckett and Crawford. So keeping AGod was not a possibility or they'd still have the other two.
    This is wrong. A-gon was the price we had to pay to rid ourselves of the Puunto curse. Seriously, yes, "Beckett and Crawford", but that sounds like dumping Beckett and Crawford were equally good quantitatively. The Crawford dump was FAR more important to the future than Beckett. Hell, Beckett could re-surface as a relief pitcher a la Dennis Eckersley. I don't see Carl as anything more than a below league-average player going forward, a 4-5 million dollar player being paid 21 million.

  12. #7787
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ocean Springs MS

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Victorino is an overpay. He's also something they absolutely didn't need. They're not contending, and he sure as hell isn't gonna help change that.

    It seems to me that they signed (and overpaid) Victorino to become a stopgap Jason Varitek. A tangible, voluble, visible clubhouse leader. A seed crystal from which the young guys can take a compass bearing. Or something like that. I'm not saying it's necessarily worth $39M/3, but I think that's what they had in mind. Pedro Martinez (interviewed during Papi's golf fundraiser this week) seems to agree. (Bostonherald.com)

  13. #7788
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    The cost to sign a player is not based on how you will use him. It's based on his value in the open market. Victorino was valued as a centerfielder and Napoli as a catcher. You can argue the Red Sox overpaid for one or both of them based on how they intend to use them, but their value is not based on how the Red Sox intend to use them. It's like if I buy a brand new car intending to only drive it on Sunday afternoons. I may be paying too much for a car I'm going to use that way, but I'm not going to get the car for less because I will only drive it on Sunday.

    I think the Yankees signing Youkilis will add some fun to the games next year. I reiterate my prediction that the Yankee fans will soon be liking Youkilis. Well, at least if he produces. If he sucks or gets injured, he will probably be detested more than ever.
    You really believe this? Name me some teams that were competing for his services as a starting catcher. Over the last 3 seasons, he's averaged 120 games and just over half of those have been at C. I'd say at best he was valued as a "catcher-lite". I was hoping (but not anticipating) the Yankees would sign him as DH/BUC/1B to add some RH power to the lineup and prevent aging vets from rotating into the DH spot versus taking full days off. I'd imagine he'd carry some extra value given his ability to catch for a spell and potentially free a team from having to carry a BUC, but I don't think anyone was or should view him as a guy who is going to catch 120 games or so.

  14. #7789

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Totally agreed

  15. #7790

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    The cost to sign a player is not based on how you will use him. It's based on his value in the open market. Victorino was valued as a centerfielder and Napoli as a catcher. You can argue the Red Sox overpaid for one or both of them based on how they intend to use them, but their value is not based on how the Red Sox intend to use them. It's like if I buy a brand new car intending to only drive it on Sunday afternoons. I may be paying too much for a car I'm going to use that way, but I'm not going to get the car for less because I will only drive it on Sunday.

    I think the Yankees signing Youkilis will add some fun to the games next year. I reiterate my prediction that the Yankee fans will soon be liking Youkilis. Well, at least if he produces. If he sucks or gets injured, he will probably be detested more than ever.

    So, paying for an 18 wheel semi makes sense even though you're only gonna use it for a Sunday drive? Timmy logic

    You've mentioned the " well, you'll love him when he's on your team " meme several times.

    No, we won't love him. He's an ahole and always will be. We will tolerate him if he's productive, but will never like him for many apparent reasons. The real jerks on the team have always been dealt with the same way. Sheffield was tolerated, not loved, even though when he played he was very productive

    Youkilis will never be liked regardless of production
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  16. #7791
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Napoli has appeared in more than 114 games one time. He has played first now as much as be has a catcher. Someone who catches on a good year 60 games is not being priced as a catcher, he was priced because before 2012 he had a fee good offensive years. Still an overpay.

  17. #7792
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    So, paying for an 18 wheel semi makes sense even though you're only gonna use it for a Sunday drive? Timmy logic

    You've mentioned the " well, you'll love him when he's on your team " meme several times.

    No, we won't love him. He's an ahole and always will be. We will tolerate him if he's productive, but will never like him for many apparent reasons. The real jerks on the team have always been dealt with the same way. Sheffield was tolerated, not loved, even though when he played he was very productive

    Youkilis will never be liked regardless of production
    How quickly you forget. Johnny Damon was a despised Red Sox, too. Maybe not as much a Youkilis. We will see how this one turns out.

    I never said that the Red Sox got a great deal on either Napoli or Victorino. I said that they paid for them at catcher and centerfielder value. I will agree with False that it's catcher light value. If the Red Sox use them in other places, they are overpaying them even more based on how they are going to use them, but the market value is not set by how a club plans to use a player.

    A perfect example of this was when the Tigers gave Victor Martinez the big contract and then said he was primarily going to DH. They didn't get him at the going rate for DH's, though.

  18. #7793

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    I reiterate my prediction that the Yankee fans will soon be liking Youkilis. Well, at least if he produces. If he sucks or gets injured, he will probably be detested more than ever.
    Wow, you're really going out on a limb here......
    Team Northern Lights

  19. #7794
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Napoli has appeared in more than 114 games one time. He has played first now as much as be has a catcher. Someone who catches on a good year 60 games is not being priced as a catcher, he was priced because before 2012 he had a fee good offensive years. Still an overpay.
    He has not played first as much as he has caught. Last year, he was at catcher 72 games and first base 28 games and 9 as DH. The year before, he was at catcher 61 games and first base 35 games and 19 as DH. Only one year did he play first base as much as he caught, and before 2010, he never played first. I will buy the catcher-light label, and it's true that he hasn't had a full-time load in the past, and that's all concerning. The Red Sox paid more in AAV because they limited the contract to 3 years. I also don't think they got a particularly great deal, but salaries are up big time this year.

  20. #7795
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    He has not played first as much as he has caught. Last year, he was at catcher 72 games and first base 28 games and 9 as DH. The year before, he was at catcher 61 games and first base 35 games and 19 as DH. Only one year did he play first base as much as he caught, and before 2010, he never played first. I will buy the catcher-light label, and it's true that he hasn't had a full-time load in the past, and that's all concerning. The Red Sox paid more in AAV because they limited the contract to 3 years. I also don't think they got a particularly great deal, but salaries are up big time this year.
    72 games, that is less than half of the major league season. Saying he is priced as a catcher is wrong. It was an overlay. It is okay to say the Sox overpayed. Just as the Yanks did for the fossil of Youkalis.

  21. #7796

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Wow, you're really going out on a limb here......
    It could go either way.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  22. #7797

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    How quickly you forget. Johnny Damon was a despised Red Sox, too. Maybe not as much a Youkilis. We will see how this one turns out.

    I never said that the Red Sox got a great deal on either Napoli or Victorino. I said that they paid for them at catcher and centerfielder value. I will agree with False that it's catcher light value. If the Red Sox use them in other places, they are overpaying them even more based on how they are going to use them, but the market value is not set by how a club plans to use a player.

    A perfect example of this was when the Tigers gave Victor Martinez the big contract and then said he was primarily going to DH. They didn't get him at the going rate for DH's, though.
    Sorry, just not true. Johnny really fit the "idiot" tag and was basically harmless. He was just not hated for his personality as Youkilis is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  23. #7798

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Most of Napoli's play time is Scoscia related, not performance/injury related. Scoscia's hard on for Jeff Mathis ate into Nap's play time.

  24. #7799
    NYYF Cy Young

    BeantownYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sterling, Ma

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    The Red Sox are in serious discussions with Ryan Dempster, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). He cautions that there is no deal yet and the LSW Baseball client could still sign elsewhere.

    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#uDYwC5Y5tlQ20gov.99
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

  25. #7800

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    How quickly you forget. Johnny Damon was a despised Red Sox, too. Maybe not as much a Youkilis. We will see how this one turns out.

    I never said that the Red Sox got a great deal on either Napoli or Victorino. I said that they paid for them at catcher and centerfielder value. I will agree with False that it's catcher light value. If the Red Sox use them in other places, they are overpaying them even more based on how they are going to use them, but the market value is not set by how a club plans to use a player.

    A perfect example of this was when the Tigers gave Victor Martinez the big contract and then said he was primarily going to DH. They didn't get him at the going rate for DH's, though.
    No one forgot anything. Damon wasn't anywhere near obnoxious as Youkilis.

    Also, you're still wrong about Napoli's value. If there were teams that valued him as a catcher, there would have been better offers out there for him to catch. There weren't, and that's because nobody viewed him as a credible starting catcher. 3/39 is roughly market value for a 1B/DH with Napoli's hitting talent.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Hobbes40

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts