+ Reply to Thread
Page 308 of 410 FirstFirst ... 208 258 298 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 318 358 408 ... LastLast
Results 7,676 to 7,700 of 10239

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ml...-james-shields

Royals would be dumb to trade Myers for either of those two.
    Verducci was on mlb this morning and said he wasn't buying it, meaning there is no freaking way he thought the Royals let Myers go for just Lester or Shields, that that would be the starting point for any deal.

NYYF Legend

I also don't buy the notion that the Red Sox have learned from their mistakes. They just unloaded 2 $20 million+ long term contracts, and it would not surprise me if they gave Hamilton 5 years and $110-$120 million. They could argue that it's the same money they had left on the Carl Crawford deal, and the money is better spent on Hamilton. I don't think Hamilton is worth the risk, but it would not shock me if the Red Sox are in on him.

Jon Heyman@JonHeymanCBS mets asked red sox for top OF jackie bradley jr and top SS xander boegarts for dickey, according to @AdamRubinESPN

Nothing wrong with asking but.....lol

NYYF Legend

alderson did good in getting wheeler for beltran, but not everyone will be as trigger happy as brian sabean
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Well, yeah but I think you're reading too much into his comment. They'd prefer to contend, but I think they're realistic. It would take some major overhaul to do it, and they'd have to sign deals like the ones they just discarded to do it. Grienke, Hamilton, etc. I doubt you'll see those types of acquisitions on the FA market in Boston this offseason, and I don't think they have the chips to trade for Gonzalez-like players to make an immediate, game-changing impact.

They'll make Napoli-like moves perhaps, and hope for massive bounce backs from Lester, Buccholz and Lackey I suppose in the hopes that they can contend. I think the point Nerf was making is their not going to deplete the farm for a player on a 1 year deal in hopes they win the WS next season.
    Thank you, my friend. I often cannot get into the depth of a point at work. And coincidently, I was going to use Greinke and Hamiltion as examples if I had time for follow up.

The sox need to get back into contention slowly, if they want to build a team that's continually in the hunt. By the looks of it at this point, they're putting a team out there that will APPEAR to be in contention, but will actually be in contention the way every other .500 ballclub will be with the new formatt. Then they'll fade away in late August to September.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    I also don't buy the notion that the Red Sox have learned from their mistakes. They just unloaded 2 $20 million+ long term contracts, and it would not surprise me if they gave Hamilton 5 years and $110-$120 million. They could argue that it's the same money they had left on the Carl Crawford deal, and the money is better spent on Hamilton. I don't think Hamilton is worth the risk, but it would not shock me if the Red Sox are in on him.
    I think this is just your own coping mechanism kicking in to convince yourself that they'll be anything interesting going on in Fenway next year.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

i could see the sox trading salty to get dickey

mmmm... salty dickey
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Verducci was on mlb this morning and said he wasn't buying it, meaning there is no freaking way he thought the Royals let Myers go for just Lester or Shields, that that would be the starting point for any deal.
    Good to hear, that would be highway robbery for the Sox or Rays.....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Back to the point about Saltalamacchia's value, I saw that Geovany Soto just signed for $2.75 million and incentives could net him $3 million next year, and he hit .198 last year. Catching is so weak that Saltalamacchia will net something.

Who is going to be the Yankees catcher next year, by the way? Cervelli?

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    i could see the sox trading salty to get dickey

mmmm... salty dickey
    Salty doesn't have nearly enough value for that.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    Shocked the Rays didn't jump on Myers for Shields. Source ?
    I'm shocked we haven't jumped on this ................. I mean, I'm fairly confident that Lester is going to bounce back next year and be reasonably good, but I'm also growing more and more convinced that his days as an elite SP are probably over. Even if I thought there was a good chance of Lester going back to his peak, this move frees up additional money and allows us leeway to pick whatever we like out of this and the next free agent pools. We'd be set up to be competitive as quick as next season and playoff favorites again by the next year. Granted, of course, that the freed money was spent wisely, which is no guarantee.

All things considered, I think this is absolutely the right move for the Red Sox. Why do the Royals want to do this? Do they know something everybody else doesn't? Or are they just desperate to get a big name into KC to fill up the stadium?

Back to the point about Saltalamacchia's value, I saw that Geovany Soto just signed for $2.75 million and incentives could net him $3 million next year, and he hit .198 last year. Catching is so weak that Saltalamacchia will net something.

Who is going to be the Yankees catcher next year, by the way? Cervelli?
    There's a difference between taking a cheap flyer on a FA catcher with zero talent compensation cost versus trading "value" for Saltalamacchia and paying him a little bit more.

Who are these teams that want a bad defensive catcher who can't get on base? Give me a theoretical trade proposal; I must be misunderstanding your use of "value".

NYYF Legend

I think we will soon see what his actual value is, versus my guess, because I'm pretty sure the Red Sox are going to trade him. With the signing of Ross and Napoli, and the Red Sox wanting to find out what they have in Lavarnway, I think that Salty has played his last game in Boston. I don't think he's great, but I think catching is so thin he will bring something useful. Look what other crappy catchers are getting paid. $8.5 million a year for Martin? It's not so easy to get a catcher at a reasonable price...I ask again...who will the Yankees catcher be next year? Saltalamacchia will make half as much as Martin next year, and there is no long term commitment, and he holds similar value....Martin is a pretty good comparable for Salty in terms of WAR, so we will see what happens and I don't think we will have to wait too long. It won't be anything major, but hopefully someone the Red Sox can use. Or maybe Saltalamacchia is a piece in a larger trade that helps that come together. We will see.

I think we will soon see what his actual value is, versus my guess, because I'm pretty sure the Red Sox are going to trade him. With the signing of Ross and Napoli, and the Red Sox wanting to find out what they have in Lavarnway, I think that Salty has played his last game in Boston. I don't think he's great, but I think catching is so thin he will bring something useful. Look what other crappy catchers are getting paid. $8.5 million a year for Martin? It's not so easy to get a catcher at a reasonable price...I ask again...who will the Yankees catcher be next year? Saltalamacchia will make half as much as Martin next year, and there is no long term commitment, and he holds similar value....Martin is a pretty good comparable for Salty in terms of WAR, so we will see what happens and I don't think we will have to wait too long. It won't be anything major, but hopefully someone the Red Sox can use. Or maybe Saltalamacchia is a piece in a larger trade that helps that come together. We will see.
    But I'm specifically interested in your guess, versus what actually happens.

NYYF Legend

OK. I will venture a guess and I will also ask you to venture a guess as to how much the Yankees will have to give up in order to get a catcher. Because the way I see it, it's either promoting a backup or rookie already in the organization, signing someone like A.J. Pierzynski which will cost a lot, or a trade.

I think the Red Sox best partner would be the Mets, because they had really pitiful production last year out of Thole and Shoppach. I think the Red Sox could get a serviceable reliever or someone like Lucas Duda for Saltalamacchia.

We will see what happens. Catchers are hard to come by, especially one that won't break the bank.

NYYF Legend

While I am making predictions, I still have this feeling the Red Sox may sign Hamilton. I'm hoping they don't, but something tells me they are right in the middle of things on Hamilton.

NYYF Legend

sox have reportedly offered victorino 3/$38 and stand as the current front runners to land him

guess swisher is going to tex
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    sox have reportedly offered victorino 3/$38 and stand as the current front runners to land him

guess swisher is going to tex
    Wow. I hope so.

I read somewhere that Swish may land in Frisco.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

$25 million a year combined, for Victorino/Napoli (if Victorino signs).

Color me unimpressed with the way they're allotting the savings from the AGon/Beckett/Crawford deal thus far.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Victorino has had a lot of troubles hitting righties and is coming off a really bad year.

I can understand buying low with him in the hopes that he rebounds (like the Yankees did with Swisher in 09) but they are going to pay him 13M a year. This looks like an awful deal.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

NYYF Legend

I hate that deal for the Sox. If they were going to unload all that money, I didn't see them using it to pay middle of the road FA's $13M annually.

Officially signed - 3/39

lol
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Wow Victorino 3/38 seems kinda dumb?
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF Legend

teams have $$ to spend... the main beneficiaries are this weak FA crop
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

So, to recap:

Officially downgraed at 1B