+ Reply to Thread
Page 306 of 422 FirstFirst ... 206 256 296 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 316 356 406 ... LastLast
Results 7,626 to 7,650 of 10544

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    He's still never shown any plate control whatsoever. Guys who walk that little and strikeout that much don't tend to have lengthy, impressive MLB careers. He's going to be a crummy journeyman, bouncing around the league within three seasons.
    As a 23 y/o he hit 15 HR's in 267 AB's. Can we calm down with the "he'll never have a career in MLB" thing?
    Give me your prediction for his 2013 season. Let's say he gets 500 PA's. Use any stat you want, BA/HR/RBI or OPS or OPS+, whatever. I'm curious since you already seem to know that he'll be out of a job in a couple of years.

John Farrel says " DOH "

Great timing Johnboy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    John Farrel says " DOH "

Great timing Johnboy
    Yes, he's got to be wondering if he can do a do over in his choice to leave.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Given that they (still can't believe it) were able to shed Wells to the Angels, that's $42MM they saved for the next two years. Their payroll was $83MM and they have a few unimportant players coming off the books. I can believe it. They were well positioned to make a deal like this.
    right. the rest of their roster is sooo cheap.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...2-roster.shtml

after Bautista, most of their next best-paid players----Kelly Johnson, Carlos Villanueva, Yunel, Francisco Cordero---are leaving. Their 2013 salary, before this trade, minus Yunel, would be 57.9M.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    John Farrel says " DOH "

Great timing Johnboy
    tell me about it
    like delv, but better

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    If the Yanks resign Kuroda I think there will be very little difference between the 2012 and the 2013 Yankees. Toronto just got Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and Jose Reyes and even without them are a team on the rise, Baltimore will be very good and so will Tampa Bay. Other than Boston I see a very strong division once again.
    I keep hearing people raving over this group that Toronto got from Miami, Yes they look good on paper but keep in mind that Miami lost 93 games and finished in last place with all of those guys last year. Plus Johnson and Beurhle will be pitching in the American League East in a hitter's friendly ball park and the gimpy legged Reyes will be playing on turf. Also in the case of Johnson he looked great in Miami but another guy, Carl Pavano, looked like a #1 or #2 in a Florida uniform too. Success is not a given.
    Yogi - “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    I keep hearing people raving over this group that Toronto got from Miami, Yes they look good on paper but keep in mind that Miami lost 93 games and finished in last place with all of those guys last year. Plus Johnson and Beurhle will be pitching the American League East in a hitters he could be another Carl Pavano, a guy who looked like a #1 in a Florida uniform. Success is not a given.
    They lost 93 games with those guys and a lot of other guys who are much worse than them.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    They lost 93 games with those guys and a lot of other guys who are much worse than them.
    Yes and Toronto lost 89 games with the group they had and they gave up some good ML talent in Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, and Henderson Alvarezin in that trade too. Plus they gave up a number of good prospects that may preclude them from putting together the rest of the pieces they need to be competitive.
    Yogi - “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

Yes and Toronto lost 89 games with the group they had and they gave up some good ML talent in Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, and Henderson Alvarezin in that trade too. Plus they gave up a number of good prospects that may preclude them from putting together the rest of the pieces they need to be competitive.
    Toronto lost so many games because their roster was absolutely decimated by injury. They had the talent to be a .500 or better team. They've improved. They gave up talent, but they got more talent back, particularly in the short term.

I think at one point Romero was the only SP in the rotation that was part of the rotation on opening day.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

they kept all of their good prospects.
    like delv, but better

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I keep hearing people raving over this group that Toronto got from Miami, Yes they look good on paper but keep in mind that Miami lost 93 games and finished in last place with all of those guys last year. Plus Johnson and Beurhle will be pitching in the American League East in a hitter's friendly ball park and the gimpy legged Reyes will be playing on turf. Also in the case of Johnson he looked great in Miami but another guy, Carl Pavano, looked like a #1 or #2 in a Florida uniform too. Success is not a given.
    Well the Toronto Blue Jays are not the Miami Marlins. Aside from the players they received, there will be 20-21 players that did not play for the Marlins so that being the case there is no reason to compare the two teams.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by WaltKowalski View Post
    As a 23 y/o he hit 15 HR's in 267 AB's. Can we calm down with the "he'll never have a career in MLB" thing?
    Give me your prediction for his 2013 season. Let's say he gets 500 PA's. Use any stat you want, BA/HR/RBI or OPS or OPS+, whatever. I'm curious since you already seem to know that he'll be out of a job in a couple of years.
    Jeff Francoeur had 14 home runs in 257 abs with an almost identical K/BB ratio at 21. How'd he turn out?

Middlebrooks struck out more than 5 times as often as he walked last year. Since integration, there have been 91 players to amass 1000 career PAs with a K:BB over 4. Only six (6) of them posted an OPS+ above 100, the highest of which is Mark Trumbo's 118, and if his second half last year is any indication, he may not remain an impact hitter much longer. Even if you lower the threshold to 3.5:1, you're talking about 141 players with 1000 career PAs and only 14 of them with an OPS+ over 100. And the only one with at least 5000 PAs is Tony Armas, who posted a rather pedestrian 103.

The point is, there's literally no precedent for a player to hit like Middlebrooks long-term. There's plenty of precedent for guys to hit like that in the short term, but looking at the list, a long and healthy career doesn't seem likely.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

I think (= hope) that Walt's point was more that Middlebrooks still might grow and develop as a hitter and close the enormously awful gaps between his K and BB rates. As Sox fans, we all certainly hope that's the case. I don't believe, though I may be wrong, that he was implying that Middlebrooks could maintain such abysmal plate discipline and still maintain or surpass the numbers he put up last year.

Personally, I'm rather skeptical that he will improve significantly enough to maintain his numbers long term, but I'm hopeful that he will.

Sox are reportedly hot after Napoli. It that happens, will be interesting to see how many times his mother's nip-slip pic will make its way onto this thread.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WaltKowalski View Post
    He reminds me a little of Shea Hillenbrand.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Lucchino was on D&C this morning and said the Red Sox would have an announcement regarding a corner OF in the next day or so. He did say that it wasn't a big name, so that would rule out Swisher for now. And, apparently the mantra for the 2013 Red Sox is "deep depth". Not sure how that compares to "historic depth", but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Lucchino was on D&C this morning and said the Red Sox would have an announcement regarding a corner OF in the next day or so. He did say that it wasn't a big name, so that would rule out Swisher for now. And, apparently the mantra for the 2013 Red Sox is "deep depth". Not sure how that compares to "historic depth", but we'll see.
    Must that team have a laughable meme every year?
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Swish might not do so well in beantown either - it's no picnic there either with struggling players. boooo

NYYF Cy Young

Everytime I hear the term "historic depth" I think about John Smoltz getting hit into retirement by the Yankees. I kind of felt bad, but only because it was Smoltz.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Everytime I hear the term "historic depth" I think about John Smoltz getting hit into retirement by the Yankees. I kind of felt bad, but only because it was Smoltz.
    It would make me smile if that's what I thought of...
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

Devoted Member

Who is their 1Bman?
    DFA ARod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    Who is their 1Bman?
    Great question. I think Loney is a non-tender candidate, which makes it a thin group to choose from. I have to believe come opening day it will be one of either Swisher or Napoli, rotating in some in-house solutions here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Really? I loathe John Smoltz.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Really? I loathe John Smoltz.
    Smoltz has always been a sympathetic figure, I think. He was very open about his successful use of a sports psychiatrist to overcome pitching anxiety.

From a Yankees fan perspective, he was extremely gracious in speaking for the Braves after the 1999 World Series sweep.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14;7648971[B
    ]Smoltz has always been a sympathetic figure, I think. [/B] He was very open about his successful use of a sports psychiatrist to overcome pitching anxiety.

From a Yankees fan perspective, he was extremely gracious in speaking for the Braves after the 1999 World Series sweep.
    Not anymore...I had a lot of respect for him until asked about legalizing gay marriage and he said "what's next, marrying an animal?" - sorry can't get past that one...
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

Thread Information