+ Reply to Thread
Page 290 of 417 FirstFirst ... 190 240 280 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 300 340 390 ... LastLast
Results 7,226 to 7,250 of 10424

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    The joke may be on them. I don't think next year's draft class is supposed to be very strong
    Usually, a draft isn't strong due to lack of depth and that a top ten pick can still gather a really good prospect.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Your "inflation" is highly devalued. With Dice-K (the $111M man) being a total bust, and Hideki Matsui having been hurt around '08 or '09, I wouldn't put any big-name Japanese player as being as high as Ichiro Suzuki, and certainly not after a dozen years.

12 years after the posting fee, Ichiro Suzuki is still on fire (and then some). What's Dice-K up to these days? Other than keeping the dugout warm in the 4th or 5th inning, I mean.

Triple that posting fee you've offered above. Compare that to the end result, not just some financial translation.
    I know. I wasn't arguing with you, pretty much pointing out how much of a bargain Ichiro's posting fee was.

I guess at that time others thought that his success in Japan couldn't transfer over to the Major League level? Only thing I can think of.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I could never feel bad about a Boston team.
    Same here.

NYYF Legend

I'm wondering what's going on with Aceves. I mean, obviously, he's very unhappy in Boston but the list of things he's done lately are a bit bamboozling. I'll find the article and post it.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/0...wrJ/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I believe the Red Sox are trying to lose as many games as they can to improve their draft position.

I'm actually serious. It's exactly the kind of thing their front office would do.
    Agents and players would NEVER let the numbers drop voluntarily for anything, let alone for a team that they might on even be on when it has an effect.
    Team Northern Lights

i'm sure part of you wanted bard to be a major hit for the good of the future. It's also pretty clear that, once you made up your mind that he wasn't going to be, that you became very concerned about being right about that (though, again, that was never the argument). Much in the same way that you're nowhere to be found on this forum whenever the sox go tits up and the yankees kick ass, you were nowhere to be found in this thread any time bard had an encouraging outing during that little experiment. Then again, much in the same way that your presence on this forum increases exponentially every time the sox are either crushing it or the yankees appear to be faltering, you were always in this thread right away whenever he threw one of his typical 5ip, 8bb, 13hbp, 6er outings to remind everybody that the plug needed to be pulled on the experiment immediately and to, once again, remind everybody how much more valuable closers are than solid 3-4 guys because you read it in a papyrus newspaper once.

The implication then, as now, is that you were more concerned about being right, regardless of the context. This has been another recurring theme with you... Not only do you stubbornly cling to baseball logic so outdated that archaeologists were already deciphering the scrolls they were written on 60 years ago, not only do you fiercely defend those antiquated beliefs even when presented with empirical evidence to the contrary, but you also constantly find interesting and ever inventive ways to attempt to misrepresent your beliefs as having been correct all along. Your approach is very politician like, and it isn't at all endearing.

So, unless you're re-debuting your little boy lost™ character, just own up to your bull................ For once. Every time you post it gets harder and harder to believe that all of your friendly, benign quippings are so unfairly misconstrued as being antagonistic by approximately 99% of this forum. You make it very clear through your parlance that much of your participation on this forum is intended to either needle the yankee fans or to needle the many other people here who never agree with the outdated cliches and illogical ramblings you have to offer about the game of baseball. You also make it very clear through your repetitious backpeddling every single time you're called out for doing these things that you are a spineless, cowardly individual who has no desire to own up to his words. If you really feel the need to constantly say the things that you say, have the balls to back it up. Grow a pair. Man up, tommy. I know you can't, but i'm challenging you to try. The rest is on you.
    boom headshot
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by enozlac View Post
    I know. I wasn't arguing with you, pretty much pointing out how much of a bargain Ichiro's posting fee was.

I guess at that time others thought that his success in Japan couldn't transfer over to the Major League level? Only thing I can think of.
    Suzuki's posting fee was a true bargain, not due to any fully economic situation ($ vs ¥), but simply that teams weren't as in dire straits for good talent, and lacked anyone of comparable value (farm, FA or trade).

As highly touted as Dice-K was, and his overall record here in the AL East, I wouldn't blame the Yanks one bit for not offering $50M for ANY similarly touted Japanese player. I haven't followed Yu Darvish much, but I'd have to see more from Japanese players before I consider a $50M posting fee to be worthy.

Then, of course, there was the ultra-ridiculous $26M that the Yanks FO posted for Kei Igawa, which was $10M more than any other team offered, and this after they lost out on Dice-K. Oy!!!
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Agents and players would NEVER let the numbers drop voluntarily for anything, let alone for a team that they might on even be on when it has an effect.
    Oh, I'm not saying players would EVER throw a game, or even a single at-bat.

I'm saying personnel choices aren't necessarily being made with winning in mind.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Oops, double post.

NYYF Cy Young

Maybe Ozzie Guillien will be fired this offseason and Boston can get him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Too good to be true.

NYYF Legend

and then maybe they could trade for yunel escobar to fill the void at SS?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I'm saying personnel choices aren't necessarily being made with winning in mind.
    Gotcha. That's more believable.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I said that too in this thread. I would love it if that happened.

Or they just have a bizarre sense of humor- ie letting Aceves to continue pitching
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

My problem with that theory is that I don't think Valentine gives a crap about what happens to this team after this year.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

"Fake Peter Gammons ‏@FakePeteGammons
    Last time I can remember #RedSox this far out of playoffs Joe Hesketh & I were shopping for anal beads in Framingham. This is Peter Gammons.
    "

This is too funny

A few Brown staffers were at a Warren rally and started doing the tomahawk chop. IN the middle of that, they broke out a "Yankees suck" chant

Irony for days

http://www.wcvb.com/news/politics/Se...z/-/index.html

It's the video at the bottom of the page
    Last edited by ieddyi; 09-25-12 at 05:32 PM.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    "Fake Peter Gammons ‏@FakePeteGammons
    Last time I can remember #RedSox this far out of playoffs Joe Hesketh & I were shopping for anal beads in Framingham. This is Peter Gammons.
    "
    That's obviously not the real Peter Gammons. Not because his name clearly states that he's the FAKE PeteGammons, but because any New Englander could tell you that the best anal beads are sold exclusively in Worcester county.

NYYF MVP

All Fenway Team

I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

NYYF Legend

The Sox are so dreadful this year, it's just not even fun anymore. It's like they are completely off everyone's radar screen. When I've asked a few of my diehard Sox fans about them, all they say is, "it's football season, Vic."

Quote Originally Posted by chisox View Post
    All Fenway Team

For a team that's been around so long, that's actually a really thin roster of all-time greats. And a the number of players who played half their career or less in a Boston uniform is really high.

The Dave Roberts pick is classic.

Forum Regular

Smokey Joe Wood's outlier 1912 season just REEKS of steroids.

Rich Gedman....

Pedroia over Doerr? Really?

NYYF MVP

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...bamlb_bosmlb_1

The thousands of empty seats is striking

I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Thread Information