+ Reply to Thread
Page 247 of 422 FirstFirst ... 147 197 237 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 257 297 347 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,175 of 10534
  1. #6151
    NYYF Legend

    parkerstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    "Out since July 17 with a strained Achillesí tendon, David Ortiz wants to come back and play for the Red Sox as soon as possible. However, he made it clear Sunday that heís thinking ahead to his upcoming free agency in deciding not to rush his return.

    ďIf you go back and play sore, of course you could [tear it]. Itís not healed. Itís not ready and I donít want to run that risk,Ē Ortiz told CSNNE.comís Joe Haggerty. ďIím a free agent after this year and I donít want to have a surgery going into free agency.Ē"

    That's the spirit!

    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...gency-looming/
    This is Ortiz being passive-aggressive with the Red Sox front office about not getting a multi-year deal. This is not the first time he has complained about his contract this season and he is making a point here- playing on a 1-year deal you need to take care of yourself and a future contract before pushing for a playoff spot.
    Hoping Rivera can pitch forever!

  2. #6152
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    "Out since July 17 with a strained Achillesí tendon, David Ortiz wants to come back and play for the Red Sox as soon as possible. However, he made it clear Sunday that heís thinking ahead to his upcoming free agency in deciding not to rush his return.

    ďIf you go back and play sore, of course you could [tear it]. Itís not healed. Itís not ready and I donít want to run that risk,Ē Ortiz told CSNNE.comís Joe Haggerty. ďIím a free agent after this year and I donít want to have a surgery going into free agency.Ē
    "

    That's the spirit!

    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...gency-looming/
    interesting...any other player comes out and says this and it's a huge amount of negative press...he'll squeak by without hardly a scratch...sickening.

  3. #6153

    Re: The Red Sox Thread



    "I am totally unappreciated in my time."
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  4. #6154
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    "Out since July 17 with a strained Achillesí tendon, David Ortiz wants to come back and play for the Red Sox as soon as possible. However, he made it clear Sunday that heís thinking ahead to his upcoming free agency in deciding not to rush his return.

    ďIf you go back and play sore, of course you could [tear it]. Itís not healed. Itís not ready and I donít want to run that risk,Ē Ortiz told CSNNE.comís Joe Haggerty. ďIím a free agent after this year and I donít want to have a surgery going into free agency.Ē
    "

    That's the spirit!

    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...gency-looming/
    It'd be awful naive to assume that this is an impractical point of view for Ortiz to have given all the circumstances, but why on earth would you say it? What, is the FO all of a sudden going to trip over themselves to offer you a new deal to rush you back into the DH spot this season because of these comments? The only possible outcome is that you look like a douche. Mission accomplished.

  5. #6155
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It'd be awful naive to assume that this is an impractical point of view for Ortiz to have given all the circumstances, but why on earth would you say it? What, is the FO all of a sudden going to trip over themselves to offer you a new deal to rush you back into the DH spot this season because of these comments? The only possible outcome is that you look like a douche. Mission accomplished.
    That's exactly it...there's a balance there with being truthful quotes but there are some things that you just don't say...unless you don't mind sounding like a douche.

  6. #6156
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Above Balducci's

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Meh, don't blame him. Why rush back for a going no where team that doesn't want you long term?

    Take your time Poopsie.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

  7. #6157
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    It's a full scale mutiny/implosion, apparently.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bobby-v...gonzalez-.html

    Boston Red Sox players blasted manager Bobby Valentine to owners John Henry and Larry Lucchino during a heated meeting called after a text message was sent by a group of frustrated players to the team and ownership in late July, three sources familiar with the meeting told Yahoo! Sports.

    The owners called the meeting for Boston's off-day in New York on July 27 after first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, texting on behalf of himself and some teammates, aired their dissatisfaction with Valentine for embarrassing starting pitcher Jon Lester by leaving him in to allow 11 runs during a July 22 start. It was the latest incident in a season's worth of bad relations bubbling between Red Sox players and Valentine.

    Gonzalez and Dustin Pedroia were among the most vocal in the meeting, in which some players stated flatly they no longer wanted to play for Valentine, the sources said. The tenor of the 2 p.m. meeting at The Palace hotel in New York turned ugly almost immediately, according to the sources, whom Yahoo! Sports granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about internal matters.
    From the beginning of the Red Sox's courtship of Valentine this offseason to the double-barreled votes of confidence last week, the match of the hard-nosed Bobby V with the laissez-faire Boston clubhouse seemed tenuous at best. It has proven far worse, personified best perhaps by a picture circulating around via text message, according to a fourth source.

    Pedroia, notorious among teammates for his wit and humor, is in the foreground with a giddy smile, his tongue wagging and both thumbs up. Next to him is allegedly Valentine, face down on a table, apparently asleep. A caption accompanies the picture: "Our manager contemplating his lineup at 3:30 p.m."
    Certainly the concoction of losing and an unfamiliar style has hurt Valentine's standing with players. Ownership remains in Valentine's corner, with Henry saying in his statement eight days ago: "We have been nothing but supportive of him inside and outside the clubhouse."

    The support, according to the sources, baffles those against Valentine, who wonder why the meeting was called if it wasn't going to change anything. During the meeting, the players told Henry and Lucchino that part of the disconnect comes from Valentine spending excessive time in his office.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  8. #6158
    NYYF HOF

    pjfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Portland, ME

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I'm not a huge Valentine fan by any means, but lets not forget that this team ate chicken, drank beer, and sucked at playing baseball at the end of last year too. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of what goes on inside a clubhouse, and how much liking or respecting your manager has to do with success.

    I mean, Valentine is really not directly related to Lester and Beckett sucking, is he? Or Pedroia and Gonzalez having off years? Or Ortiz, Ellsbury, and Crawford being hurt? Valentine will be made the scapegoat here, for sure, but the players needs to take on some responsibility as well.

    Nobody is happier than Kevin Youkilis right now.

  9. #6159

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Management had a tenuous situation with a team that had grown complacent and arrogant, and hadn't had to take any responsibility because Tito Francona is an enabler who protects his players. When that stopped working, they replaced him with Valentine, and I can only assume they thought his brash management style would serve to jump start the team. However, it seems to have just alienated them. Given the fact that many of them are also playing poorly, his manner is really just making things worse. If Lester and Beckett were having good seasons, and Boston was in the playoff race, Valentine's nonsense would be credited with inspiring the team to perform with some degree of fire and passion.

    In conclusion, winning begets chemistry. It's not the other way around.

  10. #6160
    Lets go Yankees BxBomber44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    LA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    All is ugly on the Red Sox front.


  11. #6161
    22 gregzzy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Why do I feel like if the Yankees were in an identical situation, we would never hear the end of it? Imagine reports came out about a secret meeting and a picture being texted amongst teammates of Derek Jeter ridiculing the manager? Would be breaking news all day on ESPN. At the very least those scumbags at BSPN are protecting their former employee.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

  12. #6162
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    His question was on point, there's a huge difference between hand and wrist injuries.

    The wrist bones are small and compacted in a very small place. The problem w/ healing is the blood supply to the injured wrist bones. The type of injury Al had commonly heals w/o further complications
    Good points. But finger injuries heal far quicker than both hand and wrist injuries. That was my point.

    As someone who has a permanently broken left hand, but has seen all eight fingers and two thumbs heal from multiple breaks with little or no issue, I know the difference.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  13. #6163

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    As someone who has a permanently broken left hand, but has seen all eight fingers and two thumbs heal from multiple breaks with little or no issue, I know the difference.
    I don't know if that qualifies you as some kind of expert.

    If I crash my car a bunch of times do I automatically become a mechanic?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  14. #6164
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't know if that qualifies you as some kind of expert.

    If I crash my car a bunch of times do I automatically become a mechanic?


    No, sadly. But I've listened to enough doctors discuss my injuries to know that most of the time, a broken finger heals quicker than the hand or wrist.

    Now, also, I've crashed plenty of cars and I've learnt that when you hit metal really hard, perhaps with othe metal, it doesn't heal either.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  15. #6165
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Red Sox are really making this as hard as possible for themselves.

    While there are many, many differences between these two situations, I can't help but think back to Girardi's first year in charge when we missed out on the playoffs for the first time in a dozen years. People did criticise him and while we were out of the running for sometime, there wasn't the fall out we've seen from the 2012 Red Sox. The comparison is far from perfect, I know, but some small similarities can be made.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  16. #6166
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Bobby V isn't responsible for Lester and Beckett sucking. And it is hard taking the side of the "chicken and beer" brigade. But Bobby V is an idiot and the wrong person for the job. I said this the day he was hired and all he has done is prove me right. What a circus.
    Life is good!

  17. #6167

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't know if that qualifies you as some kind of expert.

    If I crash my car a bunch of times do I automatically become a mechanic?
    As an insurance producer, I'd say you'd probably be uninsured, as well.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  18. #6168

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Their circus has gotten so bad, it's almost lost it's entertainment value.

    Let's hope they get it together long enough to just miss the last playoff spot by one game
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  19. #6169
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Their circus has gotten so bad, it's almost lost it's entertainment value.

    Let's hope they get it together long enough to just miss the last playoff spot by one game
    Im hoping they get it together to play the role of last years Orioles to this year's Orioles and Rays.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  20. #6170

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    As an insurance producer, I'd say you'd probably be uninsured, as well.
    Which is okay because say you drive drunk and kill someone, the victim's insurance company, say Progressive, will come to your defense so they don't have to pay too.

    Anyway, I am loving this Red Sox drama. I just hope the best is yet to come.

  21. #6171
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Their circus has gotten so bad, it's almost lost it's entertainment value.

    Let's hope they get it together long enough to just miss the last playoff spot by one game
    That would be sweet.

  22. #6172
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    A Yahoo! Sports report claims that Red Sox stars, led by Adrian Gonzalez and Dustin Pedroia, had a heated meeting with Red Sox owners John Henry and Larry Lucchino to complain about manager Bobby Valentine. That meeting occurred at The Palace hotel in Manhattan on July 26 before Boston opened a three-game series against the Yankees, and was a preceded by an angry text message sent by Gonzalez representing the upset players.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpa...f3DtwGnGPL15wO

    Jesus, was Gonzalez always this much of a tool or is this something that happens when one dons a Sox uniform?

  23. #6173
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post

    Jesus, was Gonzalez always this much of a tool or is this something that happens when one dons a Sox uniform?
    I definitely get that impression when they wear the uniform all of a sudden they turn into a tool.

    And not just with A-Gon

  24. #6174

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Kay, during the game, said that 17 of the players asked that Valentine be fired
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  25. #6175
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    This is all within 18 months of them being the greatest team of all time.

    How the 'mighty' have fallen.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts