+ Reply to Thread
Page 244 of 422 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 254 294 344 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 10527
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    A. Team USA women's Soccer at the Olympics has a dramatic win in extra time.

B. Reigning Cy Young and MVP strikes out 14 Yankees

C. 2012 Cy Young Award Winner Jeff Weaver shuts out their current WC rival, and 2nd half phenom, the Oakland A's.

D. 54-55 Team wins a game at home.

Guess which of those is the ESPN SportsCenter Highlight of the Night?
    C'mon Nerf, they are America's lovable, scrappy, underdog team!
    Life is good!

People actually watch ESPN Sportcenter?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I think he was pointing out the mistake in first names.. he said Jeff, not Jered..
    True. Good catch.

Internet adjustments stand, though.
    Team Northern Lights

Bobby V. will be saved by the Disabled List.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    In an email to reporters, Henry said that it is ''simply wrong'' to blame Valentine for the team's troubles, and ''we all'' share responsibility. He also said there has been no lack of effort by players.
    The Red Sox have spent most of the season in last place in the AL East and have never been in first or second. A total of 23 players have spent 27 stints on the disabled list, both the highest on the team since 1971. Boston's 23 players on the disabled list are the most in baseball this year. San Diego and Washington are tied for second with 19.
    ''A lot has been written about injuries to key players this year,'' Henry wrote. ''The impact of that on the Sox this year should not be discounted.''
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    fWAR disagrees big time. He's ranked 7th in the AL for SPs.

Verlander should be the winner.
    I'm sure the voters will go straight to fWAR, and ignore the show stats.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

I'm sure the voters will go straight to fWAR, and ignore the show stats.
    Even though you're being sarcastic, that's the way the voting has been trending over the past few years. Wins weren't important when Greinke and Felix won.

Even though you're being sarcastic, that's the way the voting has been trending over the past few years. Wins weren't important when Greinke and Felix won.
    If Weaver goes 20-2 or something like that, with a WHIP below 1.000 and a miniscule ERA, it won't matter what FIP, fWAR or anything says.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

fWAR disagrees big time. He's ranked 7th in the AL for SPs.

Verlander should be the winner.
    Let me know when fWAR controls the voting block. ERA is the new king trumping wins. Followed by IP, Ks, Ws, W%, WHIP then the sabr stuff if it is still close after that.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

If Weaver goes 20-2 or something like that, with a WHIP below 1.000 and a miniscule ERA, it won't matter what FIP, fWAR or anything says.
    Even if he does all that, Verlander would probably still take him down based on the 40-60 more innings thrown and the fact he kills him in K's. ERA and WHIP will be similar enough that Verlander should still win. The fact Verlander would lead the league in WAR by a wide margin would surely help him. (I'm going under the assumption they both keep their current paces)

Actual merit aside, there's no way that Verlander tops Weaver if Weaver leads the league in wins and ERA.

I think he was pointing out the mistake in first names.. he said Jeff, not Jered..
    Bingo.

True. Good catch.

Internet adjustments stand, though.
    Aww, man.

NYYF Legend

Where's nerf?

"I think we're a playoff team and I think we're going to be there before the season is over," Valentine said Wednesday morning in an interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI.

When it was suggested by a host that the Red Sox would probably need to get to around 89 wins to clinch the second wild-card spot -- which would mean a 34-17 record the rest of the way -- Valentine thought such a run sounded doable.

"Yeah, of course," Valentine said. "Of course, we can do better than that. I don't think that's so optimistic, I think it's realistic if we stay healthy. Right now we have some concerns in the bullpen. If that stabilizes I think there's big runs ahead."
    Nerf vs Valentine debate is one I'd like to see.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...x-playoff-team

NYYF Legend

Poor Joshie....

A more sympathetic audience might have felt a little compassion for Josh Beckett after he called a Boston radio station Tuesday and said that he injured his back last week in part because of all the "anxiety" he felt over reports he might be traded.

"We traveled late in from New York [two nights before] and I didn't sleep particularly well, had a lot of anxiety and stress things going on, exterior distractions," Beckett told WAAF personality Greg Hill on the station's "Hill-Man Morning Show" in talking about the days leading to his most recent start on July 31, against the Detroit Tigers. "I don't think that a lot of it was great for my back. And going out and pitching on that mound, it was very wet, and my back just locked up on me."

Those "exterior distractions," Beckett said, included being bombarded by speculation that the Red Sox were seeking to unhorse the Texan and send him to another team.

"I think just this past week was different for me," he said. "There were rumors, apparently not being brought up by the Red Sox. I was hearing from everybody that none of this was true, they assured me of that, but I still had to answer questions about it.

"It was very confusing, and that's where I think the anxiety comes in. Not so much stress, but more anxiety than anything because you're not real sure how things are going."
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...-sox-fans-side

NYYF Legend

for Joshie!

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Where's nerf?

Nerf vs Valentine debate is one I'd like to see.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...x-playoff-team

Next time I call EEI - I'll give the name nerf to give you a heads up
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Next time I call EEI - I'll give the name nerf to give you a heads up
    I think you should even though I won't hear it down here..you need to give us a pulse on the talk radio up there later today after the Joshie whining and the "we're a playoff team" if we don't get hurt anymore.

Balls! You're right. I guess I lose my upgrade in status. That aside, I agree that if Weaver leads by 4 or 5 W's and has a better era, he gets it. He also has the no hitter this year and more CG shutouts.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Balls! You're right. I guess I lose my upgrade in status.
    Please read the entire page before making such assumptions.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Let me know when fWAR controls the voting block. ERA is the new king trumping wins. Followed by IP, Ks, Ws, W%, WHIP then the sabr stuff if it is still close after that.
    Ws would still be the trump card if there were more pitchers with more than 20 wins. It was one thing when it was a choice between one pitcher with 22 wins and another with 24; it's another thing altogether when it's 19 W v. 17. Under 20, I think the writers just don't take those numbers seriously.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    for Joshie!

Must be PTSD - 3 HR and 8 runs today

What a delicate little flower

PS

Booed after V took him out- another mental burden added to Joshie's heavy load
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post

"You don't know, man-- you weren't there!"
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF HOF

You know the worst thing........,worst case scenario, they are 5.5 out of the 2nd WC after today. Which is hardly an insurmountable lead. Somehow, they sneak into that spot and pull out a W in a 1 game playoff. They will then proceed to get smoked in the next series.

Worst thing because management will then say, "see?? We told you we were alright. We're a playoff team. Now, we're going to avoid injuries next year and be juuuuusssssst fine"

This team needs a makeover and it starts with the manager.

Don't get me wrong, I love playoff baseball and I love when my team is in it. But this team is just not capable of making that kind of run. Not when your 1-2 pitchers are 15-27 and 2-12 since June 1.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post

PS

Booed after V took him out- another mental burden added to Joshie's heavy load
    thanks for the heads up...we went back and watched it and it was lush.

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan View Post
    You know the worst thing........,worst case scenario, they are 5.5 out of the 2nd WC after today. Which is hardly an insurmountable lead. Somehow, they sneak into that spot and pull out a W in a 1 game playoff. They will then proceed to get smoked in the next series.

Worst thing because management will then say, "see?? We told you we were alright. We're a playoff team. Now, we're going to avoid injuries next year and be juuuuusssssst fine"

This team needs a makeover and it starts with the manager.

Don't get me wrong, I love playoff baseball and I love when my team is in it. But this team is just not capable of making that kind of run. Not when your 1-2 pitchers are 15-27 and 2-12 since June 1.
    aww, pjfan - i feel for you buddy. It still seems like a miracle that with all the bad play and all the issues and injuries, they are only that far out.

Valentine letting him pitch after that long delay and after he had given up six run was amazing.

Thread Information