+ Reply to Thread
Page 235 of 422 FirstFirst ... 135 185 225 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 245 285 335 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 10527
    Devoted Member

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Red Sox, Marlins Discussing Crawford, Hanley, Bell

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 18 at 12:57pm CST]
    The Red Sox and Marlins are discussing a trade that would sent Carl Crawford to Miami for Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell, Bob Nightengale of USA Today. The Marlins approached the Red Sox about the possible blockbuster, Nightengale reports.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...nley-bell.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Cashman's most important act as GM may have been insisting on ending the ending the division between Tampa and NY. Dysfunction in the FO ends up hurting a team on the field
    I think the Tampa faction foisting Tony Womack ( but, but he's bats .300 ) on the team was a prime example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher_Creature View Post

The Red Sox and Marlins are discussing a trade that would sent Carl Crawford to Miami for Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell, Bob Nightengale of USA Today. The Marlins approached the Red Sox about the possible blockbuster, Nightengale reports.

The sawx have been good in the past of getting rid of dead wood ( Lugo, Reeeeenteria ) and picking up salary, but who would take on Crawford's contract w/ the sawx kicking in at least 1/2?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher_Creature View Post

Cannot understand how the Marlins would benefit from this.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Cannot understand how the Marlins would benefit from this.
    UPDATE

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 18 at 1:10pm CST]
    1:10pm: There's no current discussion involving Crawford, Ramirez and Bell, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports (on Twitter). The idea surfaced briefly as a concept and immediately died.

12:57pm: The Red Sox and Marlins are discussing a trade that would send Carl Crawford to Miami for Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. The Marlins approached the Red Sox about the possible blockbuster, Nightengale reports.
    The biggest impediment to the deal is the Marlins' indecision about their course for the rest of the 2012 season. Miami VP Dan Jennings is in Boston scouting Crawford, according to Nightengale. The potential trade would be the second-biggest contract swap in history, trailing only the 2004 trade involving Alex Rodriguez and Alfonso Soriano, Nightengale writes.

The Marlins are also discussing trades involving Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanchez, plus a deal that would send Omar Infante back to Detroit, Nightengale reports.
    Ken Rosenthal reported earlier today that the Red Sox are determining trade interest in Crawford. However, GM Ben Cherington says there's "nothing going on" with the left fielder, who is in the second year of a seven-year, $142MM contract he signed following the 2010 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    And I think we can now see that Theo and Francona probably masked a lot of dysfunction (not unlike what Torre did with the Yankees).

Still, I can't entirely agree with your statement, since the current version provides me with much more entertainment than the former
    Good point. I was looking at it more or less objectively, in the sense that the 1970s Orioles were a magnificent organization, and the Cubs have been a terrible one.

But the enjoyment I get out of watching the Red Sox organization self-destruct is immeasurable.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Good point. I was looking at it more or less objectively, in the sense that the 1970s Orioles were a magnificent organization, and the Cubs have been a terrible one.

But the enjoyment I get out of watching the Red Sox organization self-destruct is immeasurable.
    have to say, i laughed out loud when i saw the crawford trade rumours.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I don't see how the Marlins would benefit from it either. Looks like it's a good rumor and that's about it.

NYYF Legend

Papi to the DL
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

The sox are going to get hot, I have a bad feeling. If they do, watch out AL.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    They're not scary.
    Team Northern Lights

this is so random

Red Sox to Bill James: No more Joe Paterno comments

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UASfZMV0i7c

I mean is anybody really shocked?

A Massachusetts police officer was put on paid leave Wednesday after an internal investigation found that he directed a racial slur at Boston Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford.
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...-carl-crawford

Watch out for their crappy starting pitching? Why?

NYYF Triple Crown

The Red Sox drafted the #4 college football recruit in the nation and signed him.

He's currently 0-32 with 31 Ks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...161156204.html
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Why the heck is he on PAID leave?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'd bet they can't do much more than that before the disciplinary hearing. In the meantime, they're making sure he stays out of the way. I'm not even sure "paid leave" is an accurate description - it sounds like he was temporarily reassigned, taken off the streets and put behind a desk.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Red Sox to Bill James: No more Joe Paterno comments

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UASfZMV0i7c
    James has always been a borderline disturbing/creepy guy when not discussing baseball numbers. Anyone remember him defending Marge Schott's Hitler-simpatico sentiments back in the 1990s?
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

NYYF Legend

Because if he is suspended without pay, that would be considered his punishment if he is found "guilty" at his hearing. By placing him on paid leave the department has the freedom to determine what his punishment will be after his hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Because if he is suspended without pay, that would be considered his punishment if he is found "guilty" at his hearing. By placing him on paid leave the department has the freedom to determine what his punishment will be after his hearing.
    I find that odd, unless I'm misinterpreting the quote. I'm not in the "eff the police" camp by any stretch, but if an "internal investigation" revealed that someone with that type of responsibility and empowerment has enough racial bias to hurl a slur at a player at what is ultimately a meaningless baseball game, it's good that he's suspended but not sure why taxpayers should continue paying him a salary. He really should be fired. But anyway, enough thread hijack.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Scared sh*tless.

I find that odd, unless I'm misinterpreting the quote. I'm not in the "eff the police" camp by any stretch, but if an "internal investigation" revealed that someone with that type of responsibility and empowerment has enough racial bias to hurl a slur at a player at what is ultimately a meaningless baseball game, it's good that he's suspended but not sure why taxpayers should continue paying him a salary. He really should be fired. But anyway, enough thread hijack.
    It's like the difference between an arrest and a trial. I assume that there's a union contract that specifies disciplinary procedures.
    - Barry Manilow

The Yankees sit at 57-34
    The Sox are 47-45

The Yankees have 71 games left, the Sox have 70.

Should the Yankees actually play 1 game below .500 the rest of the way, 35-36, they'd win 92 games.
    The Sox would have to go 45-25 to tie. Even if Boston gets hot, what indicates they can put together a 20 games over .500 streak in 70 games?

And let's be honest, the Yankees are not likely about to go 35-36 the rest of the way... Let's say they go 40-31, still not even their current pace, but just for kicks, let;s assume they slow down.
    That is now 97 wins.

Boston would then need to rattle off a 50-20 run to tie... 30 games over in 70 games for a team that is essentially no better than a .500 team for the first 90 games?

Yeah, not worried...
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Guy was from Leominster...closer to Hartford than Boston...might as well have been from Springfield.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Thread Information