+ Reply to Thread
Page 222 of 383 FirstFirst ... 122 172 212 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 232 272 322 ... LastLast
Results 5,526 to 5,550 of 9568
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Re: The Red Sox Thread

After the 2011 Red Sox I can understand the 2004 references.
    Life is good!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Boston is still near the top and old in baseball standards. And unless their starters start pitching better as they don't have much in the farm to pursue say a Cole Hamels, I don't see them in the playoffs and if they do I see either Texas or the Angels knocking them out in the one game playoff. Even without Pettitte until the end of August, I don't see the Yankees pitching allowing them much of a slide.
    Boegarts and Barnes could easily get Hamels. Boston probably wouldn't do that though.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic View Post
    But I just pointed out that guys like Aviles and Sweeney, who you listed, are not playing above their means.

A guy like Nava likely is not this good. But even if he does regress, I think you would agree that Pedroia and Gonzalez are probably bound to heat up.
    He's not, he will. Nava, Ross, Podsednik, Shoppach, Saltalamacchia have played above their means and quite frankly Ortiz will regress a bit. I think you are right though, AGon, Ellsbury and a healthy Pedroia will make up for it with corrections on what they are capable of.

FWIW-Im going to have to see a better walk rate from Middlebrooks before I call him a better hitter than current ARod.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    That's your opinion. They are certainly better at hitting homeruns.
    And getting on base. Pretty nice combo to have.

You can have the BA.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Boegarts and Barnes could easily get Hamels. Boston probably wouldn't do that though.
    I wouldn't be too sure of that. Hamels is a legit #1; Bogaerts isn't close to ready and I don't know much about Barnes, but he should be dominating A ball at his age.

Philly would, and should, ask for a third player.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Boegarts is about as hyped as they come and Barnes has been destroying the lower levels. If another team has comparable prospects, they won't give up more than that.

Texas could match with a Perez/Profar trade but I doubt they would give up that too.

I have never been a Youkalis fan
    You have a subtle way of showing us with every post about him.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Philly would, and should, ask for a third player.
    The Red Sox should shop Ellsbury + for a pitcher. He is a Boras client, and it is doubtful that he will get what he wants in Boston, what with the Crawford contract.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever View Post
    The Red Sox should shop Ellsbury + for a pitcher. He is a Boras client, and it is doubtful that he will get what he wants in Boston, what with the Crawford contract.
    I think it's been Ellsbury's intention to leave for awhile, but we'll see.

I don't know how many would take the risk for a half year rental for someone who would be just returning from the DL.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I think it's been Ellsbury's intention to leave for awhile, but we'll see.

I don't know how many would take the risk for a half year rental for someone who would be just returning from the DL.
    I don't think he's a FA till after next year
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    I don't think he's a FA till after next year
    That's true - I always mess that up.
    Team Northern Lights

Boegarts is about as hyped as they come and Barnes has been destroying the lower levels. If another team has comparable prospects, they won't give up more than that.

Texas could match with a Perez/Profar trade but I doubt they would give up that too.
    Why would the Phils care for hype? He's still ways off and they're not a team that's looking to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    That's true - I always mess that up.
    I really wonder if he even wants to stay there after the abuse he took over his rib injury

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Why would the Phils care for hype? He's still ways off and they're not a team that's looking to rebuild.
    It's not the hype but the talent they would get from it.

They aren't looking to rebuild, but at the same measure they are looking for the best available talent. Boegarts is in Hi A doing very well at SS, he will probably move to 3B where the Phillies have an opening. They could be aggressive with him like the Marlins were with Hanley.

FWIW- Olney is reporting that the Phillies are looking for 4-5 prospects for Hamels, but that many GM's don't think they will get anything close due to the new CBA. I don't know how many GM's would mortgage the farm for a 3 month rental, but stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    I really wonder if he even wants to stay there after the abuse he took over his rib injury
    I think Youkilis was the main source of that, no?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    Yup and last September the Red Sox were 9.5 ahead in the Wild Card.

P.S. Gratuitous 2004 mention. Drink!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Great analogy except the Red Sox stayed behind them. The Yankees finished first in the division.

Way to pull 2004 out of your ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Full of win.
    After the 2011 Red Sox I can understand the 2004 references.
    Kudos to Tk8 for the creative or should i say non creative way of sneaking in another 2004 reference. Some things are so predictable.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I think Youkilis was the main source of that, no?
    There was definitely a comment by him but it was more than just him..even Francona made some comments that didn't go over well which was surprising..obviously he's gone too but I get the feeling Ellsbury is sort of a loner in that clubhouse from things I've read ...

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    The thing about baseball is that it's not an easy game to predict. In 2004, they were 10 games behind the Yankees on August 16. Things can change.
    Not to pile on here, but the other flaw with a 2004 reference is that there's basically nobody left from that team on the current Sox, save Ortiz, so it's not like you can say the team has that season in their memories.

Far more applicable for what the Sox might do in 2012 is their second half performances over the last 3 seasons: (2011: 35-36, 2010: 38-35, 2009: 40-33).

If the 2012 Sox follow this trend, and their best baseball is behind them once the all star break hits, then they're hurting. I don't necessarily believe that's the case, but the past three seasons are far more relevant to 2012 than 2004 is, especially because the pitching staff is composed of mostly of the same guys that were responsible for the 2nd half collapses over the last 2-3 seasons.

If you're going to cite a random, irrelevant year to illustrate that "anything can happen in the standings" or that "baseball isn't easy to predict," 1978 has more relevance than 2004, considering the Yankees actually overtook the Sox that year, or 2011 because the Sox actually blew a 9 game lead to lose out in the WC.
    Yes, I'm a girl.

NYYF Legend

A good friend of mine is visiting from San Diego and would like to take her son to see Fenway (they went to YS yesterday and loved it)....anyone know the best way for me to get her 2 tickets to Sundays game or is it pretty impossible?

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    A good friend of mine is visiting from San Diego and would like to take her son to see Fenway (they went to YS yesterday and loved it)....anyone know the best way for me to get her 2 tickets to Sundays game or is it pretty impossible?
    You will have to pay but there is a ticket agency called Ace Tickets out of Boston. You could also see if you can get lucky by going to redsox.com, there may be standing room tickets available.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

You will have to pay but there is a ticket agency called Ace Tickets out of Boston. You could also see if you can get lucky by going to redsox.com, there may be standing room tickets available.
    ok, thanks Rick. I'll try for a few min but she's not going to want to stand with a young child. I'll see what I can find though, if anything.

NYYF Legend

She told me the game was at Fenway but it's not. I should have looked.....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    She told me the game was at Fenway but it's not. I should have looked.....
    ah too bad...guess it doesn't matter now...but that sellout streak is a farce and has been for awhile...I think at one point the Sox were giving some away or putting them up on stubhub or somewhere to keep the illusion alive...I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to them in the first place?

Quick hook for Dicek ( well deserved ), but kind get the feeling Bobby has no patience for him

Thread Information