+ Reply to Thread
Page 216 of 422 FirstFirst ... 116 166 206 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 226 266 316 ... LastLast
Results 5,376 to 5,400 of 10527

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Valentine continues to show himself as a no class liar. He said he talked to Youkalis about not playing for awhile, turns out be didn't. Good way to treat someone who was a key component of two World Series teams. Stay classy Bobby.
    Youkilis was a key piece of one WS team. In 2004* he has 2 PA in the ALDS and that was it.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Youkilis was a key piece of one WS team. In 2004* he has 2 PA in the ALDS and that was it.
    Yeah, but I'm sure they were gritty series-changing ABs.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

I was wondering if Buchholz had a bleeding ulcer after seeing he went on the DL already...I think that's what it is - someone on SoSH said it was from ibuprofen...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Countdown till Youks is blamed for entire teams dysfunction last year starts now......
    Funny and true.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I was wondering if Buchholz had a bleeding ulcer after seeing he went on the DL already...I think that's what it is - someone on SoSH said it was from ibuprofen...
    I hear it's from swallowing SD cards to swipe them from Best Buy.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I hear it's from swallowing SD cards to swipe them from Best Buy.
    he has certainly been a colorful character over there for a relatively quiet guy..

i wonder if he took those drugs on an empty stomach - doesn't look like he eats much but he could have a fast metabolism i guess.

I just saw Pedroia interviewed -- thankfully he got rid of that ridiculous looking beard...

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I just saw Pedroia interviewed -- thankfully he got rid of that ridiculous looking beard...
    I didn't even know he was dating.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

So, how long before the patented Former-Red Sox-gets-slammed-by-anonymous-sources episode regarding Youkilis?

I'm setting the plus/minus at 24 hours.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    That's right it was Bill Mueller in 04, but my overall point stands.
    Life is good!

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    So, how long before the patented Former-Red Sox-gets-slammed-by-anonymous-sources episode regarding Youkilis?

I'm setting the plus/minus at 24 hours.
    Was about to post this myself...

NYYF Legend

The Red Sox got so little because they traded him before the trading deadline market really opened up. There is bound to be a team that gets an injury at either third base or first base or decides they need additional offense. The Red Sox apparently felt that it was in the team's interest to install Middlebrooks permanently at third, rather than trying to find enough at bats for everyone and putting Gonzalez into the outfield. I guess they felt they didn't want to deal with the distraction anymore. Youkilis is in the last year of his contract, and the Red Sox best prospects are all third basemen. They just cut the ties now, and I do not anticipate that he will get thrown under the bus. He's a very popular player and I think they are just moving on.

I wish him good luck. He did a great job for the Red Sox for a number of years.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    The Red Sox got so little because they traded him before the trading deadline market really opened up. There is bound to be a team that gets an injury at either third base or first base or decides they need additional offense. The Red Sox apparently felt that it was in the team's interest to install Middlebrooks permanently at third, rather than trying to find enough at bats for everyone and putting Gonzalez into the outfield. I guess they felt they didn't want to deal with the distraction anymore. Youkilis is in the last year of his contract, and the Red Sox best prospects are all third basemen. They just cut the ties now, and I do not anticipate that he will get thrown under the bus. He's a very popular player and I think they are just moving on.

I'm not sure if it was Olney or Rosenthal that tweeted it but the thought was that with the most recent distraction of Valentine saying that he talked to him about the benching and it coming out that he didn't made the Sox realize that they had to eliminate the distraction ASAP. I'm sure opening room for Middlebrooks is part of the package as well.
    Life is good!

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I have been out all day and didn't see that, but that is a good thing to do here. I just have no idea what enters his mind. As for the return, I am not sure what more can be expected to get in return for a player that has been on a steady decline and has been abysmal the past two years.
    I agree with the bulk of your post, but the bolded part is way off. He's been bad for 2/5ths of a season, that's about it. He posted a 124 OPS+ last season; not elite, but damn good. It's definitely down from his peak years, and I don't disagree about the decline at all. He always seemed like the type that wasn't destined to age well, from his body type to the way he plays. I still think he'll probably bounce back (at least, bounce back to putting up OPS+ in the 115-130 range) next season, but I don't think he'll ever put up numbers close to his peak again.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    Agreed completely. I'll always like the guy and I'm honestly disappointed he had to leave like this.

On a more inquisitive note, I wonder how things will go over the next few years when he digs in and hangs that elbow over the plate while facing Beckett? I'm not gonna lie, I'd pitch Youk inside and I never got mad when opposing pitchers offered him a seat. I'm just curious how the players on the field and the benches would react to such a situation. Could get interesting.

And Joba's rehab is going well also..........

I never got what the deal was between those 2 was, but it sure was fun to watch- w/ Joshie moderating from the dugout
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Agreed completely. I'll always like the guy and I'm honestly disappointed he had to leave like this.

On a more inquisitive note, I wonder how things will go over the next few years when he digs in and hangs that elbow over the plate while facing Beckett? I'm not gonna lie, I'd pitch Youk inside and I never got mad when opposing pitchers offered him a seat. I'm just curious how the players on the field and the benches would react to such a situation. Could get interesting.
    Gammons on WEEI reporting that the Sox are not blaming Youk for the abysmal September last year, and are convinced that a healthy Bucholz and Dice-K would have put them in the offseason.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    I agree with the bulk of your post, but the bolded part is way off. He's been bad for 2/5ths of a season, that's about it. He posted a 124 OPS+ last season; not elite, but damn good. It's definitely down from his peak years, and I don't disagree about the decline at all. He always seemed like the type that wasn't destined to age well, from his body type to the way he plays. I still think he'll probably bounce back (at least, bounce back to putting up OPS+ in the 115-130 range) next season, but I don't think he'll ever put up numbers close to his peak again.
    Lot's of interesting scenarios:

Youk is playing for next years contract and has been rested most of this hear- good chance the WS get good value for the deal

The sawx meeting the WS in the playoffs

Middlebrooks come down to Earth w/ BABIP and Youk gets off to a fast start
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

He's been trying to hit all year; the fact that he's "playing for a contract" is meaningless.

Why do I have the feeling that he will be disappointing as a White Sox player?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that he will be disappointing as a White Sox player?
    He should not be a 3rd baseman. And will not last the year if played as such. I hope he rakes though, and make the Sox regret it.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    per Rosenthal, Olney etc... Sox chipped in $5.5M too.
    It'll cost the ChiSox half that for a helmet that'll fit that melon.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

This is not the real Youkilis. I am no fan of his but I respect his ability as a hitter. He has been quite good for many years and this could be his Dunn year. And holy crap with Middlebrooks.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Lot's of interesting scenarios:

Youk is playing for next years contract and has been rested most of this hear- good chance the WS get good value for the deal

The sawx meeting the WS in the playoffs
    The first two scenarios seem unlikely to me. Both possible, though. A poster above noted that Youkilis is more likely to struggle if the ChiSox insist on playing him mostly at 3rd and I agree. He's still pretty solid defensively at 3rd, but he's good in the max effort kind of way that cuts careers short (think Rusty Greer). He's more likely to rebound this season if he makes his starts at first. Even then, I don't think it's very likely, but I honestly hope he does.

Middlebrooks come down to Earth w/ BABIP and Youk gets off to a fast start
    This last scenario I'm kind of split on; I've been expecting a regression from Middlebrooks for a while and it just won't come. I'm still not totally convinced that he can keep this up, but the longer he does it the less I worry about it.

Devoted Member

Brilliant!
    Refuse to Boo!

Thread Information