+ Reply to Thread
Page 214 of 410 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 224 264 314 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,350 of 10234

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Lying to employees and screwing them out of a lot of money makes him a terrible person. He's a bad, awful, slimy, dirtbag.
    What was your opinion of him prior to this event?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    The hatred that some of you still have for curt is hilarious to me. He has a big mouth and bad business sense, and that makes him loathsome and deserves nothing good. Hes raised lots of money and awareness for ALS and cancer, but damn, he has a big mouth so he deserves nothing! Uhhh, some of us on this very board have bigger mouths than Schilling, just not stages as big as he does. Does that make us loathsome human beings who deserve no good? I don't agree with lots of what curt says or does, and we will never agree on politics, but the hatred for someone whom you have never met and who has never done anything but (i assume) try to do his job the best he can is very amusing to me.
    F 'im. I hope he ends up doing a perp walk.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    I do not agree with Schilling on his right wing politics, and I can also see how many view him as an unlikeable person because he's been quite outspoken.
    ^pretty much why I don't like him.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

The hatred that some of you still have for curt is hilarious to me. He has a big mouth and bad business sense, and that makes him loathsome and deserves nothing good. Hes raised lots of money and awareness for ALS and cancer, but damn, he has a big mouth so he deserves nothing! Uhhh, some of us on this very board have bigger mouths than Schilling, just not stages as big as he does. Does that make us loathsome human beings who deserve no good? I don't agree with lots of what curt says or does, and we will never agree on politics, but the hatred for someone whom you have never met and who has never done anything but (i assume) try to do his job the best he can is very amusing to me.

"That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection... Overruled."
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I hate the guy. He's always been a loudmouth ass. Thankfully, this is the United States of America. I have no obligation to get to know the guy on a personal level before I judge his character. He made himself a public figure, and as such, I have every right to badmouth the jerk.

He knows nothing about business ethics or running a business in general. He leveraged his reputation as a major leaguer to take advantage of other people (tax payers and hundreds of employees) to try out a personal experiment and satisfy his "gamer" ego, rather than build from the ground up like he should have. It wasn't just his own money he risked. The kind of overconfidence and hubris you need to succeed in baseball was the same thing that made him an awful businessman, and now everyone else is paying the price.

So forgive me if I don't feel bad for the guy who was trying to "do his job the best he can." When you're a millionaire, you should be vilified for experimenting with the lives and money of blue collar people.

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

I really don't give a crap whether you feel bad for him or not,. I don't feel bad for him one bit. I just find all the hatred amusing. He indeed made bad business decisions, and his business failed. It's not the first business to fail, and it won't be the last. And the fact that he did it with public funds after criticizing "entitlements" is amusing to me as well. And some of you blame him for that, but really, you should be voting out the idiots that gave him that loan to begin with. MA wouldn't do it, why did RI?

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I hate the guy. He's always been a loudmouth ass. Thankfully, this is the United States of America. I have no obligation to get to know the guy on a personal level before I judge his character. He made himself a public figure, and as such, I have every right to badmouth the jerk.

He knows nothing about business ethics or running a business in general. He leveraged his reputation as a major leaguer to take advantage of other people (tax payers and hundreds of employees) to try out a personal experiment and satisfy his "gamer" ego, rather than build from the ground up like he should have. It wasn't just his own money he risked. The kind of overconfidence and hubris you need to succeed in baseball was the same thing that made him an awful businessman, and now everyone else is paying the price.

So forgive me if I don't feel bad for the guy who was trying to "do his job the best he can." When you're a millionaire, you should be vilified for experimenting with the lives and money of blue collar people.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

I really don't give a crap whether you feel bad for him or not,. I don't feel bad for him one bit. I just find all the hatred amusing. He indeed made bad business decisions, and his business failed. It's not the first business to fail, and it won't be the last. And the fact that he did it with public funds after criticizing "entitlements" is amusing to me as well. And some of you blame him for that, but really, you should be voting out the idiots that gave him that loan to begin with. MA wouldn't do it, why did RI?
    Hmmm.....there was a similar discussion on LeBron in the NBA thread. Interesting.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

He indeed made bad business decisions, and his business failed. It's not the first business to fail, and it won't be the last.
    That he used millions upon millions of dollars of other people's money to fund his little gaming experiment is what bugs me. Anyone else who did the same thing would have me talking the same way about them, too, especially if he or she showed little remorse about the screw job they pulled, and little consideration for their employees.

And the fact that he did it with public funds after criticizing "entitlements" is amusing to me as well.
    It's not just amusing to me. It's ethically atrocious.

And some of you blame him for that, but really, you should be voting out the idiots that gave him that loan to begin with. MA wouldn't do it, why did RI?
    I don't live in either state, so I had nothing to do with it, but the clowns that gave him the money are as much to blame, if not more, for giving a man with no business experience and no gaming industry experience that kind of money. If I walked in off the street and said I was going to start a restaurant chain because I loved food but never even worked in a restaurant before, I don't think I'd get a $100M loan.

That being said, it doesn't let Curt off the hook. He's an exploiter. He had a passion for something (gaming) and used his position as a New England hero to get the funding for it. It's dirty any way you slice it.

Sure, there are far worse people out there - businessmen, politicians, the morons who gave him the money, and even many baseball owners exploit people just as much. But we're talking about Schilling, and I don't have a problem with people hammering on him. He made his bed. This isn't some saintly philanthropist who lost only his own money in a ego-satisfying, power trip foray into a business he knew nothing about. It's a rich man who screwed over a lot of other people in his ego-satisfying, power trip foray into a business he knew nothing about.

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Hmmm.....there was a similar discussion on LeBron in the NBA thread. Interesting.
    I just went back to the NBA thread to see what you were talking about. It's very much the same discussion, which is pretty funny.

It's not just the taxpayer dollars thing. It's the fact that they lied to prospective employees, making promises that they had no intentions of keeping, and then continued to double-down on other people by doing things like

1) Insisting that they would be getting paid that day, if they would only come in and put in another 10-hour day, oops you'll get paid tomorrow... for weeks, knowing that the employees would have to do it, because otherwise there was no chance they'd get their significant back pay

2) Stop paying insurance premiums that you promised people you would pay (all the while continuing to tell new employees that they'd have insurance) without telling anyone, so people got stuck with significant medical bills because their insurance lapsed

3) Not paying promised relocation fees to new employees, sticking them with the bill for their own move, a move they only made because of other promises you made.

So all of these people end up with a lot of bills to pay that you were supposed to cover, but of course they can't pay them because you're a month behind on payroll. It was a desperation move to save the company that, unless they had no idea how to read a balance sheet, they had to know was only slightly likely to work.

And then for good measure, Curt goes to the media and lies about his own investments in the company for sympathy and blames to government for not helping him get even more of other people's money poured into his failing disaster of a company.

I wish that he were telling the truth about blowing his entire fortune, but it seems that the red in his bank accounts comes from a ketchup bottle as well.

NYYF HOF

LOL... people must really miss the political threads..
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    And then for good measure, Curt goes to the media and lies about his own investments in the company for sympathy and blames to government for not helping him get even more of other people's money poured into his failing disaster of a company.

I wish that he were telling the truth about blowing his entire fortune, but it seems that the red in his bank accounts comes from a ketchup bottle as well.
    This is the part that confuses me, too. He's claiming he lost all kinds of money ($50M?), but wasn't there some article about the official financial books suggesting that only something like $5M of his own money was put into the company?

I'm curious about this.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcollector99 View Post
    LOL... people must really miss the political threads..
    This is far less about politics and a lot more about hating on an arrogant, pompous buttsprite that we're not particularly fond of after he apparently screwed over a whole bunch of people with his personal quest to be a giant of the video game industry.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Schilling said during a 90-minute interview on WEEI-FM in Boston that he put more than $50 million of his own money in the company and that he's had to tell his family that "the money I saved during baseball was probably all gone."

http://www.courant.com/sports/baseba...,6186490.story

Placing the blame on Rhode Island (this should get Greg fired up if he reads this article....)

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Can't find the link but this was in the Hartford Courant today....Peter Abraham

Dustin Pedroia saw seven pitches before grounding to short-stop. Pedroia shook his head as he crossed first base. He is 9 fo r62 (.145) in 15 games since missing 6 games with a torn muscle in his right thumb and is hitless in his past 10 at-bats. The Sox might regret not putting him on the DL when they had the chance. His batting average is down to .260 and he has only 26 RBI.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    When you're a millionaire, you should be vilified for experimenting with the lives and money of blue collar people.
    I don't think I would classify his workforce was blue collar.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Can't find the link but this was in the Hartford Courant today....Peter Abraham

Dustin Pedroia saw seven pitches before grounding to short-stop. Pedroia shook his head as he crossed first base. He is 9 fo r62 (.145) in 15 games since missing 6 games with a torn muscle in his right thumb and is hitless in his past 10 at-bats. The Sox might regret not putting him on the DL when they had the chance. His batting average is down to .260 and he has only 26 RBI.
    It's OK, his stats may be down, but his Dirt Dog Factor is reaching new levels.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

From today's Globe, it doesn't exactly paint Schilling, or other top executives in a positive light.

Schilling’s firm, 38 Studios, was frantically trying to raise cash early this year, prompting it to strike a deal in January to sell millions of film tax credits it had yet to receive from Rhode Island. The company also stopped making payments to major vendors. It stopped paying health insurance premiums to Blue Cross and Blue Shield in March while Atlas Van Lines was owed money for several months after moving employees.

“This didn’t happen at all once,” said Nathan F. Coco, a bankruptcy lawyer at McDermott Will & Emery LLP in Chicago. “It’s clear they were suffering financial distress over some period of time.”

In March, with financial pressures increasing, 38 Studios chief executive Jennifer MacLean unexpectedly took a leave of absence.

She said in an e-mail that she resigned May 17, a week before the company laid off all its workers, but declined to explain why she left in March or to comment on the company’s finances.

Meanwhile, 38 Studios stopped paying some major bills, including health insurance premiums. The company missed a March 31 payment to Blue Cross and Blue Shield, officials of the health insurer said in interviews, prompting it to cut off workers’ benefits on May 25. Blue Cross and Blue Shield said it is owed more than $570,000.

Schilling’s company also avoided paying Atlas Van Lines Inc., which helped 13 employees move, for months, prompting the company to demand payment directly from the workers. Atlas was owed more than $116,000, according to bankruptcy documents.

“We wouldn’t go to employees unless it was an extreme situation,” said Atlas spokeswoman Kerri Hart. She said it’s standard practice in the moving industry to collect from employees if a company will not pay as promised.

Blue Cross and Atlas are hardly the only creditors. 38 Studios listed more than 1,000 in its bankruptcy filing — from Acton Pest Control Services in Massachusetts to Umbra Software in Finland.

The owners of Silverman McGovern Staffing, a temporary employment agency in Providence, said 38 Studios never warned them that it had money problems. Even after 38 Studios stopped paying its own employees in May, Schilling’s company kept signing time cards for the four or five workers assigned there by the temp agency, which paid them and then billed 38 Studios.

Silverman McGovern is owed more than $47,000, according to bankruptcy filings.

“If you can’t pay someone, let them know,” said Faye L. Silverman, the managing partner.

Even workers were kept in the dark. One former manager noted the company was still interviewing prospective hires through April.

Jeff Horal, an artist, said most employees did not learn of the problems until they first saw news stories about the situation. And many did not discover the company had missed its May 15 payroll until they checked their bank accounts.

When 38 Studios moved to Providence a year ago, it offered to help workers relocate by selling their homes for them and taking over the mortgage payments. But the company’s relocation company was unable to sell seven homes, including the younger Salvatore’s in Leominster, and told workers last week they are now responsible for the payments. Bryan Salvatore declined to comment.

All told, 38 Studios owes more than $150 million, but listed less than $22 million in assets. Most creditors are expected to receive nothing.

Some observers said they could not understand how 38 Studios let the situation spin so out of control.

“There’s almost never an excuse not to pay employees,” said David Reier, a bankruptcy lawyer with Boston firm Posternak Blankstein & Lund. “If you don’t have the cash to pay employees, then shut down. Don’t string your employees along.”
    http://www.boston.com/business/artic...tcy/?page=full

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

But, but he gives to charity!
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Weren't some of the company's financials made public, revealing that Schilling had poured little to none of his own money into the company and that he was relying mostly on the state to bail him out?

I don't believe a word that comes out of is guys mouth
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Weren't some of the company's financials made public, revealing that Schilling had poured little to none of his own money into the company and that he was relying mostly on the state to bail him out?

I don't believe a word that comes out of is guys mouth
    And I believe his is part of what is being investigated. If he did put in a fraction of what he says and is looking for a tax payer bailout, they should make sure he isn't lying.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Schilling was on EEI yesterday and stated that the company has been audited several times and each audit proved that he invested a lot of money into the company. Of course he also that it wasn't true that they stopped paying the employees' health care premiums and the Globe article shows that he was lying when he said that so who knows what else he lied about.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Schilling was on EEI yesterday and stated that the company has been audited several times and each audit proved that he invested a lot of money into the company. Of course he also that it wasn't true that they stopped paying the employees' health care premiums and the Globe article shows that he was lying when he said that so who knows what else he lied about.
    I am not sure I believe anything coming out of his mouth.
    Life is good!

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

moving away from the blowhard schilling for a minute, this team is drama central.

First ortiz says how this isn't a craphole organization and this is my clubhouse and it's not toxic..two days later he goes off on how it's becoming the sh#thole it used to be and nobody is having fun and he's not sure he will be here next year or wants to be.

a few interesting articles:

rosenthal - saying the red sox asked for all this with hiring of valentine and talks about li'l dusty not going to a mound conference with valentine on sunday night baseball and just glaring at valentine..that doesn't sound so good..also talks about a lot of valentine vs ___ issues.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/b...ubhouse-062212

this article from yahoo sports telling the red sox to grow up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/red-sox...-collapse.html

seems pretty clear Lester and Pedroia hate Valentine..i've seen a few of these types of comments:

I think in general Bobby Valentine has done a pretty decent job this season, though he'd be nowhere near my top five if I ranked all of the current managers. Top half, maybe. He's manipulated the bullpen well but may well burn them out, he bunts way too much, he saw something that made him think Franklin Morales could start ... lots of pros and cons so far, and the season isn't half over. I do think it would benefit him to knock off his casual, passive-aggressive, oops-did-I-just-say-that? revelations, though, such as noting that Clay Buchholz passed on a chance to start last Sunday. It stirs the hornets' nest with the media -- something he is well aware of and possibly addicted to -- and it drives the players nuts. I'm not sure who shoots him more hate lasers these days, Dustin Pedroia or Jon Lester.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/

and of course old Gammo had to weigh in on the Red Sox and Ortiz...same old same old except these quotes:

"I've spent a decade trying to get guys to play it right," Ortiz said at the time, and, in fact, he'd called a clubhouse meeting and singled out several players, including some pitchers who he felt had become overly negative about the media.

Then this week, when Ortiz went off in an impromptu clubhouse press gathering, he stirred things again.

Privately, he said, "I'm tired of all the stuff that goes with this team, but I'm tired of players complaining about the manager, the media ... everything. Let's just play and be accountable."
    then you have valentine saying that youkilis was spoken to about not playing as much...he denies that and then valentine says oh must have been a mistake - he is really a piece of work. he's such a classless idiot...

the latest now is Buchholz has been scratched for illness tomorrow..yikes. this team is only 5 1/2 games out...kind of amazing...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

NYYF Legend

Please trade Pedroia and Lester away and keep Valentine. He's a great manager and doesn't deserve the hate!

Thread Information